Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [50]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [23]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [11]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [4]
Send PM
Re M04-12 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Solution:

On a plane, there are four distinct points A, B, C, and D. If triangle ABC is a right-angled triangle and BD is one of its heights, what is the product of the length of AB and BC?

Since the points A, B, C, and D are distinct and BD is a height of the right-angled triangle ABC, we know that point B must be the right angle and AC must be the hypotenuse. This means that BD is the height from right angle B to hypotenuse AC. So, the problem is asking us to find the product of the two non-hypotenuse sides AB and BC.

(1) AB = 6. Clearly insufficient.

(2) The two sides of triangle ABC that are not the hypotenuse have a product of 24.

As discussed above, these two sides are AB and BC. Therefore, we can directly find the value of AB*BC to be 24. Sufficient.

Answer: B
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: M04-12 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Since all points are distinct and BD is a height then B must be a right angle and AC must be a hypotenuse (so BD is a height from right angle B to the hypotenuse AC). Question thus asks about the product of non-hypotenuse sides AB and BC.

(1) AB = 6. Clearly insufficient.

(2) The product of the non-hypotenuse sides is equal to 24 \(\rightarrow\) directly gives us the value of AB*BC. Sufficient.

Answer: B

How do you know that B is a right angle? Couldn't we also have BC or BA as a hypotenuse with BD still indicating the height of the triangle?

Thx in advance for your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Broad '18 (A)
Send PM
first option says AB =6
doesnt it imply that the sides are 6,8,10?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I am surprised if A,B, C, and D are distinct points and ABC is right triangle, right angled at B, then how come A , and D are not the same point. AB is the height . I am damn confused.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bunuel,

Can you please explain why the triangle cannot have A or C as the right angle, and the height BD drawn outside of the triangle? If you flip the triangle upside down, it looks to me that you can have a height outside of the triangle, which would make the location of the right angle ambiguous.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
CountClaud wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Can you please explain why the triangle cannot have A or C as the right angle, and the height BD drawn outside of the triangle? If you flip the triangle upside down, it looks to me that you can have a height outside of the triangle, which would make the location of the right angle ambiguous.

If A is a right angle, so if BA is perpendicular to CA, then the height from B to CA will be BA, making A and D to coincide, which is not possible since we are told that A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. The same if C is a right angle.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [7]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GRE 1: Q800 V600
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
buffaloboy wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. I am surprised if A,B, C, and D are distinct points and ABC is right triangle, right angled at B, then how come A , and D are not the same point. AB is the height . I am damn confused.

Each triangle can have three different bases and perpendicular to each base, three different heights. In the given description of triangle ABC, angle B being right angle, if you take BA or BC as height, then D coincides with A or C. But the question also says all four points are distinct. Hence we need to take AC as base and BD as height. Thats why this problem is in 700-800 difficulty level. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [9]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
CountClaud wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

If A is a right angle, so if BA is perpendicular to CA, then the height from B to CA will be BA, making A and D to coincide, which is not possible since we are told that A, B, C, and D are distinct points on a plane. The same if C is a right angle.

How about this figure? It doesn't say 'D' is a point on the triangle, just says D is a point on the plane...
Attachments

File comment: Can this be the figure for the explanation?
Triangle.jpg
Triangle.jpg [ 42.75 KiB | Viewed 74201 times ]

Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
nk18967 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
CountClaud wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

How about this figure? It doesn't say 'D' is a point on the triangle, just says D is a point on the plane...

The figure is NOT right. We are given that BD is a height of the triangle. The height is a perpendicular dropped from one of the vertices to the opposite side.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
How about this figure? It doesn't say 'D' is a point on the triangle, just says D is a point on the plane...[/quote]

The figure is NOT right. We are given that BD is a height of the triangle. The height is a perpendicular dropped from one of the vertices to the opposite side.[/quote]

-----

Hmm...I guess my concept of height wasn't clear. So, height of a triangle is ALWAYS the altitude of the triangle, inside the triangle.. and that altitude changes depending on which side is the 'base'.
Thanks!
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
nk18967 wrote:

The figure is NOT right. We are given that BD is a height of the triangle. The height is a perpendicular dropped from one of the vertices to the opposite side.[/quote]

-----

Hmm...I guess my concept of height wasn't clear. So, height of a triangle is ALWAYS the altitude of the triangle, inside the triangle.. and that altitude changes depending on which side is the 'base'.
Thanks![/quote]

It's not necessary to be inside a triangle:
Attachment:
alt2.gif
alt2.gif [ 1.92 KiB | Viewed 106090 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. Solution is incorrect. Answer should be (E). There is no way to prove that AB or BC are both legs, or alternatively that one is a leg and the other a hypotenuse. The height BD can lie outside the triangle contrary to the discussion posted in the forum.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619249 [2]
Send PM
Kudos