Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 10-11-2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V24
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Human Resources)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Highly demotivated [#permalink]
msharmita wrote:
vaggar4 wrote:
msharmita wrote:
Dear Friends,

i am highly demotivated with my progress in GMAT preparation. I need your suggestions.
i took the 1st exam of GMAT prep in Feb 2014 and scored 420.
Today i took the 2nd exam and scored 440.

i was trying to analyze why nothing changed at all. i started with Princeton review math and verbal book after my 1st exam. then did some examples from GMAT official guide. then i realised that i am facing significant problems in DS questions. i finished the complete section from OG13. then there was a gap for about a month. as the exam date was nearing i started preparing again. this time i started with Aristottle Grail for SC, understood all that i studied. tok a free test for Verbal and scored V29. now i moved to CR. started off with Manhattan CR (did not finish it). i thought time is less i need to revise Q too. so i took a free test of Quant scored V31. did geometry and probability. took the 2nd exam and scored 440
pls suggest :
1. how to study effectively
2. which couse material i should use
3. shd i not think of taking GMAT at all?
4. i was always an average student in school and college. (65%) does an average student not score well on GMAT?
5. any plan or any strategy that will help me ace the GMAT

please help :cry:

Well it happens. The first time I gave my first MOCK test without any prep I got 460(Q40, V15). I studied for 4-5 months and still scored 600(Q48, V25).
Now retaking in Nov month.

Anyways, now ur story. I am assuming u r Indian and ur individual scores were something like Q35, V20.
If u r Indian, u shud score atleast 650 with 46-47 minimum in Quant.
NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER BACK DOWN. Now answering u in sequence:

1. Maintain an error log and study for good 3-4 months. But since now already its high time for next Fall 2015 admission, You need to rethink. U have 2 options:
a) Study hard for 1-1.5 months and give exam in Nov End maximum and apply for next year admission in R2.
b) Study for good 5-6 months and solve online questions as well and then give GMAT next year 2015 so that u get admit for 2016.

If i were u, I would go ahead with 1st option.

2. Quant: Go though 5 pdfs of Manhattan Books and then do OG13 questions. Dont neglect Data sufficiency questions. If needed, Search youtube for videos.
Verbal:
SC: MGMAT SC
CR: Powerscore Bible
RC: It comes with practise. No book can make u strong in that. Read a lot and u will improve.

3. If u look for a job and u get denied in all ur interviews, will u stop trying and stay at home ur whole life? NO.
Prove to yourself and to us that u can beat GMAT. even if u cross 600, it will be an achievement for u.

4. A 90% scorer in school can get as low as 400 and a 60% in school can get as high as 700. Believe me.

5. Strategy i have already told u above. Do practise GMATprep tests and Veritas. Both are free.

My Story: When i started my prep, i started losing my social life. no Facebook, no online gaming , nothing. But I knew 1 thing in my mind that once i get good score in GMAT, I will be done with it and will return to my original life.

Let me know if u need more help. But be specific and do mention your individual scores in sections including IR and AWA too.
Sorry for the long post.

Thankyou so much. now at least i know that i don't have to give up. i will try and try till i succeed :)

Thats the spirit. Go ahead and do let us know ur next real GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
msharmita wrote:
vaggar4 wrote:
msharmita wrote:
Dear Friends,

i am highly demotivated with my progress in GMAT preparation. I need your suggestions.

i was trying to analyze why nothing changed at all. i started with Princeton review math and verbal book after my 1st exam. then did some examples from GMAT official guide. then i realised that i am facing significant problems in DS questions. i finished the complete section from OG13. then there was a gap for about a month. as the exam date was nearing i started preparing again. this time i started with Aristottle Grail for SC, understood all that i studied. tok a free test for Verbal and scored V29. now i moved to CR. started off with Manhattan CR (did not finish it). i thought time is less i need to revise Q too. so i took a free test of Quant scored V31. did geometry and probability. took the 2nd exam and scored 440
pls suggest :
4. i was always an average student in school and college. (65%) does an average student not score well on GMAT?

Well it happens. The first time I gave my first MOCK test without any prep I got 460(Q40, V15). I studied for 4-5 months and still scored 600(Q48, V25).
Now retaking in Nov month.

Anyways, now ur story. I am assuming u r Indian and ur individual scores were something like Q35, V20.
If u r Indian, u shud score atleast 650 with 46-47 minimum in Quant.
NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER BACK DOWN. Now answering u in sequence:

1. Maintain an error log and study for good 3-4 months. But since now already its high time for next Fall 2015 admission, You need to rethink. U have 2 options:
a) Study hard for 1-1.5 months and give exam in Nov End maximum and apply for next year admission in R2.
b) Study for good 5-6 months and solve online questions as well and then give GMAT next year 2015 so that u get admit for 2016.

If i were u, I would go ahead with 1st option.

2. Quant: Go though 5 pdfs of Manhattan Books and then do OG13 questions. Dont neglect Data sufficiency questions. If needed, Search youtube for videos.
Verbal:
SC: MGMAT SC
CR: Powerscore Bible
RC: It comes with practise. No book can make u strong in that. Read a lot and u will improve.

3. If u look for a job and u get denied in all ur interviews, will u stop trying and stay at home ur whole life? NO.
Prove to yourself and to us that u can beat GMAT. even if u cross 600, it will be an achievement for u.

4. A 90% scorer in school can get as low as 400 and a 60% in school can get as high as 700. Believe me.

5. Strategy i have already told u above. Do practise GMATprep tests and Veritas. Both are free.

My Story: When i started my prep, i started losing my social life. no Facebook, no online gaming , nothing. But I knew 1 thing in my mind that once i get good score in GMAT, I will be done with it and will return to my original life.

Let me know if u need more help. But be specific and do mention your individual scores in sections including IR and AWA too.
Sorry for the long post.

Thankyou so much. now at least i know that i don't have to give up. i will try and try till i succeed :)

I need one more help : I am taking my GMAT exam tomorrow. I could not reschedule it on time. Is it a good idea to take the GMAT and score low and then retake it? I am worried because all scores are shown in the official score report. Will it impact my admission to my desired course?
My present score:
IR – 4
V29, Q31
Total :440
Pls suggest
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Highly demotivated [#permalink]
Kudos
It wont affect. Most of the schools will take your highest score irrespective of when they were taken.
For example, in 2009, you scored 700 and in 2010 , you scored 600. Even though they will take your 700 score.
So best of luck. And just rock it. But i am still waiting for ur answers on ur nationality and ur target schools?

Also, Most of the people dsnt score good on their 1st attempt. Some guys retake GMAT for 4 times also but Retaking GMAT should not exceed 3 times.
After that, it might give a negative impression.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vaggar4 wrote:
It wont affect. Most of the schools will take your highest score irrespective of when they were taken.
For example, in 2009, you scored 700 and in 2010 , you scored 600. Even though they will take your 700 score.
So best of luck. And just rock it. But i am still waiting for ur answers on ur nationality and ur target schools?

Also, Most of the people dsnt score good on their 1st attempt. Some guys retake GMAT for 4 times also but Retaking GMAT should not exceed 3 times.

Can anyone help me with the 4th pdf of Quant of Manhattan Gmat. I have the following 4 pdfs:
1. Number Properties
2. Fraction, Decimal
3. Equation Inequality
5. Geometry

Pls help with the 4th pdf

BTW, I took my GMAT Score :530, Q36, V25, IR2. need to retake my exam.
I am an Indian and an looking to Indian Schools:
1. ISB
2. IIM, Indore
3. IIM, Lucknow
4. S.P Jain
5. XLRI
Manager
Manager
Send PM
msharmita wrote:
vaggar4 wrote:

Can anyone help me with the 4th pdf of Quant of Manhattan Gmat. I have the following 4 pdfs:
1. Number Properties
2. Fraction, Decimal
3. Equation Inequality
5. Geometry

1. ISB
2. IIM, Indore
3. IIM, Lucknow
4. S.P Jain
5. XLRI

Pm me your email id.. will send.
and focus on your quant skills.
q36 is really poor. even if u score q36 v44 and something like 630, admission guys might still not consider you coz indians quant is generally arnd 47 48.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
vaggar4 wrote:
msharmita wrote:
vaggar4 wrote:

1. Number Properties
2. Fraction, Decimal
3. Equation Inequality
5. Geometry

1. ISB
2. IIM, Indore
3. IIM, Lucknow
4. S.P Jain
5. XLRI

q36 is really poor. even if u score q36 v44 and something like 630, admission guys might still not consider you coz indians quant is generally arnd 47 48.

My email id : sharmita.majumdar@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
you should read my debrief.
i scored a 710 on my practice the night before and ended up with a 540.
to say the least i was really dissapointed. but im tackling the beast again. chin up friend.
+1 kudos to you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
vaggar4 wrote:
msharmita wrote:
vaggar4 wrote:

1. Number Properties
2. Fraction, Decimal
3. Equation Inequality
5. Geometry

1. ISB
2. IIM, Indore
3. IIM, Lucknow
4. S.P Jain
5. XLRI

Could one of you maybe send me those PDF's too? I'm struggling the same way trying to get my score up but everytime i take practice tests i just seem to screw things up.

e-mail: grijsen_joost@hotmail.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q42 V48
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
msharmita wrote:
Dear Friends,

pls suggest :

Good Morning Sharmita,
I think you need to sit down and think about why you have decided to take the GMAT. Presumably, you are trying to get into the best business school that will accept you, but why is this your goal? We all have different reasons, maybe we don't like our current job, we think we deserve more pay, we want to start a business, we want to make an impact, what is your motivation? You have gotten a lot of great advice already from members of the forum, so I'm not going to tell you how I think you should study. I will give you some tips though that helped me more than any study guide did...

1. You are not average, don't tell yourself that you are! If you plan to attend business school, it means you want to do something more with your life. This is a step the average guy would not even attempt because it's too much work.

2. Set your sights high, do not be satisfied with an average score. I made a 540 on my first practice test and ended up getting a 740 on my final GMAT 4 months later. You can do the same, it may take you longer to get to that point but there isn't any point to applying to business school before you have a competitive score.

3. How to study effectively? Study your butt off. Tell yourself that this is what you want and work for it. Put in the hours and do the work to get the score you want. If you put in the work and use the tools recommended to you in this form, you'll do well, but you have to do the WORK.

4. Everyone goes through cycles of being motivated and demotivated. Actively seek out sources of motivation. Whether it's watching Braveheart, listening to Jay-Z, going for a run, reading other people's success stories on this forum ( these are all things I did when I was demotivated, haha). This is an often overlooked but very important aspect of studying.

Going to business school is an opportunity to change your direction in life. It's an opportunity to reestablish yourself as a highly-motivated, top-tier student that is ready to achieve even more than they already have. Start working on that mindset today. You got this!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
vestdw wrote:

Good Morning Sharmita,
I think you need to sit down and think about why you have decided to take the GMAT. Presumably, you are trying to get into the best business school that will accept you, but why is this your goal? We all have different reasons, maybe we don't like our current job, we think we deserve more pay, we want to start a business, we want to make an impact, what is your motivation? You have gotten a lot of great advice already from members of the forum, so I'm not going to tell you how I think you should study. I will give you some tips though that helped me more than any study guide did...

1. You are not average, don't tell yourself that you are! If you plan to attend business school, it means you want to do something more with your life. This is a step the average guy would not even attempt because it's too much work.

2. Set your sights high, do not be satisfied with an average score. I made a 540 on my first practice test and ended up getting a 740 on my final GMAT 4 months later. You can do the same, it may take you longer to get to that point but there isn't any point to applying to business school before you have a competitive score.

3. How to study effectively? Study your butt off. Tell yourself that this is what you want and work for it. Put in the hours and do the work to get the score you want. If you put in the work and use the tools recommended to you in this form, you'll do well, but you have to do the WORK.

4. Everyone goes through cycles of being motivated and demotivated. Actively seek out sources of motivation. Whether it's watching Braveheart, listening to Jay-Z, going for a run, reading other people's success stories on this forum ( these are all things I did when I was demotivated, haha). This is an often overlooked but very important aspect of studying.

Going to business school is an opportunity to change your direction in life. It's an opportunity to reestablish yourself as a highly-motivated, top-tier student that is ready to achieve even more than they already have. Start working on that mindset today. You got this!

vestdw
You sir have earned a fan :)

msharmita ... you need to study hard and a lot.
The schools which you have mentioned are the best B-Schools in India and you have to work your way to get in there.
Collect all the material and get down to studying.

I am not sure but may be my debrief might help

Regards,
Ankur
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
msharmita are you concentrating on your basics? I suggest that you complete low level drills in basics and improve your mathematical intuition and skill. Then you can concentrate on the GMAT sections one by one. Also you need to understand that acing all sections of GMAT might not be possible (for example, reading comprehension - most people see very small gains even after massive practice), so you should concentrate on what you can improve, and improve that to 150% efficiency.

As far as writing the GMAT goes, I suggest you take time and go for the exam next year, because it would give you more time to prepare for GMAT and also select your schools.
GMAT Club Bot