Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Calling all Applicants(SEPT 2015 Intake)Class of 2016 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nina921 wrote:
i don't think there's a hard cutoff for the gmat, i applied with an overall 650 score Q45 V34 and still got an invite.They also look at other aspects of your profile. My job is highly quantitative so it probably helped.I have a really different personal background and strong international experience, and I made sure to highlight them in my essays. So anyone out there with a low GMAT, don’t be discouraged to apply!

Yeah, I can confirm. INSEAD doesn't seem to care about GMAT as much as American schools. They like stories and people just as much as test score ;)
Not to belabor the point - but here is the quote from the admissions rep from insead. Keep in mind - this is more or less what they told me when i got the rejection. So yea, they don't car about score per se but they care about percentiles. Take it for what you want.

INSEADadmissions wrote:
tepbb wrote:
Hi Camille,

I have a question, which I hope you can help me with. I am looking to apply to INSEAD and I was aiming at getting my application in in round 3. However, I took the GMAT yesterday and my score was a little disappointing - 700 Q45 V40 IR7 AWA N/A- which I realise is quite unbalanced. I am especially disappointed since I work in quite a mathematical/analytical role and my university background is also very mathematical (econometrics). I guess, on the day, I did not perform my best, especially since all my practice test results were higher. So my question is the following: would my mathematical background make up for my disappointing quant GMAT score or would you recommend that I retake the GMAT before applying?

A little bit about my background, if this helps answer my question: European male, 26, work experience in 3 EU countries, undergrad in top10 UK university (economics and econometrics 2:1).

Thanks

tepbb,
First, you really shouldn't be disappointed with a GMAT score at 700! it is a great score! Secondly, i wouldn't really call your score unbalanced either. We assess score in percentiles, so (Q45 V40) you are in the 75% in Q and 92% in verbal. Though the GMAT average of the class at INSEAD is 700, the actual requirement is to score in the 70% for both Q and V. Anything above is pure bonus!

Now, the GMAT is only one small part of an application. It's important for us because it gives us great clues on how students will do academically and how their can cope with stress, time management and a very fast pace MBA programme. This said, everything else in your application is really what can set you apart.

I stumbled across this article which i think is a pretty good guideline to help decide if you need to retake the GMAT or not.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/should-i-retake-the-gmat/

In you specific case, i'd say don't waste your time retaking the exam and concentrate on crafting an awesome application. Work on your essays, on your references, prepare for the interviews etc...
This will surely make a lot more impact that an extra 10 points on your GMAT.

Cheers,
camille
notice - the word "requirement". With my 50th percentile quant - i wasnt close... even though i was close to the average. once again - they said (not directly) that was the only reason i didnt get the interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q41 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.56
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
to be fair to angelfire, INSEAD's pretty clear on this as well on its admissions page: https://mba.insead.edu/admissions/criteria.cfm

While they do caveat that a below average score does not eliminate candidates, they do very much prefer applicants to score above the 70th percentile in the GMAT Quant.

That said, I agree with Kamenashi, 98% on verbal leaves you tonnes of room to improve (i mean this the best way possible). I scored V44 (98%) and Q41 (49%) on my first attempt. Go do it again! :)
that's a big jump! to be fair - i'd have taken it again if i had more time - but i took the tests november and december...and felt i needed to start working on those essays due in january. If insead was my only school, i'd have retaken it now.. but at this point - i'll only do that if the only school i get into is yale. Funny enough, i might take it again after all this just to prove to myself i can break 700.
OveragedAspirant wrote:
to be fair to angelfire, INSEAD's pretty clear on this as well on its admissions page: https://mba.insead.edu/admissions/criteria.cfm

While they do caveat that a below average score does not eliminate candidates, they do very much prefer applicants to score above the 70th percentile in the GMAT Quant.

That said, I agree with Kamenashi, 98% on verbal leaves you tonnes of room to improve (i mean this the best way possible). I scored V44 (98%) and Q41 (49%) on my first attempt. Go do it again! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q41 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.56
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Good luck whichever path you choose!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: We are never alone
A very pleasant call

Months ago, riding my bicycle down through Av. Faria Lima in São Paulo, I received a call from INSEAD. That was the yes-you’ve-been-approved call I’d been anxiously waiting for. Applying for a top business school is definitely not a solo job. Some help you to choose the school with the best fit. Others take you out when you are too GMATired. So, I immediately started calling, pinging, and messaging most of those who had helped me throughout that process. I knew the MBA would be a similar experience in terms of helping and being helped, but I didn’t know how powerful this virtuous cycle would be.

Before the start of the program.

Moving to another place always is a lot of hard work, and moving to another country can potentially reach another more tedious level of work. Details and paper work can be very annoying. I was starting the preparation to tackle all of this bureaucracy and other details such as: where to live, renting a car, buying a bicycle, and so on. And suddenly I was added to an instant messaging group of other Brazilians who were also coming to the MBA. For a start, I didn’t know, and still don’t, how one of my classmates found my mobile number. I also couldn’t imagine how helpful the insights people were sharing there would be. The mutual help did not stop there. The more friends and colleagues knew I was about to come to INSEAD, the more help I received from my friends and  friends-of-friends. My move ended up going smoother than I could ever imagine.  Before the class, it happened that I even ended up being invited to a lunch prepared by Brazilians of the previous intake and to my very happy surprise they prepared FEIJOADA, which is definitely among the dishes I enjoy most.

First Week and Splash Project.

During the first week at business school, I already came to meet the team I would be working with during the core part of the program. To foster camaraderie among the students while improving the life of the surrounding community, the school involved us in a Splash Project. The main activity is to build or improve a local facility that is used by the community.

Before Splash Project
Later on the day

The following weeks and my MBA Group.

To me, the Organizational Behaviour class has been one of the best surprises in terms of academic and personal development here. The practical approaches we have in classes along with the quality of faculty have been making a huge difference in my overall experience. One of the practical jobs we had was to deliver a contract to the group, with our group name and logo on it. The debate we had to design this contract helped us to understand how five people from four continents could work better together. We had two more activities thereafter, giving us even more opportunities to improve the way we worked together. And why is it important?

As Steve Jobs once said:

“Great things in business are never done by one person; they’re done by a team of people.”

Until another post.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: They Call Me Mr. Start-Up
“Well, it’s not so bad! I think I’m even going to have time to read a couple of novels along the way.” These are exactly the thoughts I shared enthusiastically with my friends back home when I received the course schedule a few days before kick-off.

Then the first week hit, leaving me only a few hours of sleep and a whole lot of networking and career workshops. A bit of wishful thinking and I figured that with all the activity associated to the beginning of the degree, things would settle down very soon. The interesting part is, you can choose to have it pretty laid back (relatively) at INSEAD! But is this what you want? What your heart truly desires? To have a laid back year at INSEAD? You can launch your professional or personal life in any direction you wish! You can choose from a plethora of social or professional activities, workshops, or sports and outdoor clubs, without mentioning anything about the low cost flights all over Europe or Southeast Asia.

It is in those spirits that I didn’t hesitate to join an intensive 48-hour Entrepreneurial Startup Bootcamp that was offered by a finance angel. My heart quickly took over, and decided for me: I’m not here to have a relaxing year off work. Bring on the challenges, workshops and never-before-seen activities!

With 34 other MBA candidates, the weekend was launched Friday night at 7pm where we touched base with dynamic duo consisting of angel Charlie Mason, bootcamp director, and start-up artist INSEAD alum Alexander Argyros. We set off to get acquainted with the three crucial start-up ‘P’s: People, Proposition, and Pitch. Within 4 hours, 35 ideas were proposed by participants and we got in teams of two to four with an idea to cherish and pamper over the next 44 hours. Fully aware the end of the weekend culminated with pitching the proposition to seasoned professionals of the startup sector, I wondered how we were to come up with a decent presentation.

Finance angel Charlie Mason in rapid-fire mode.

Starting Saturday at 9am sharp, we quickly got hands-on training on how to target a problem and transform it into a market opportunity. Through an ongoing iterative process, we developed a plan to acquire clients as well as develop the financial needs and requirements of the venture. The most crucial aspect I realized, was the importance of teammates all completing one another through the entire process. You close the books and go home in the middle of the night, to arrive once more, at 9am sharp on Sunday.

Masterplan!

One of the many appeals of the start-up world is the paramount importance of presenting to external parties to obtain funding. This is exactly what the third day focused on: How to pitch your startup venture to investors. How to capture an audience in only a few minutes, and keep your public hungry for more.

By the end of the weekend, the 10 teams proposed their idea to a panel of three, and five semi-finalist teams were shortlisted to present in a more detailed fashion. In the second round, a winning team earned the top spot, to close an intense weekend of learning and building new ideas and network.

Coming out of the fruitful weekend, I was totally exhausted, and took a few days to reflect on what I had gained through these 48 hours. Many people went into the workshop in order to develop an already existing idea, and to learn how to enhance their proposition. Others went out of curiosity, and in order to learn more about a fascinating sector. I was part of the latter group. After all, 53% of INSEAD alum go on to be entrepreneurs at one point or another during their professional careers. Before this weekend, I had always been afraid of entertaining a startup idea as I didn’t know how to develop it. I was scared that I wouldn’t know what to do with it, and that the opportunity would be ‘wasted’. Well not anymore! The bootcamp also convinced me an idea is only the beginning to starting one’s own company. It’s all about the right people coming together and completing one another, in order to build a project that goes in the same direction to stand the test of time.

Most of all: go out there and have fun!

Photo credits: Edouard Chehade; Jane Venet Fellowes
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone. I'm a current MBA student at INSEAD (15D, in Singapore), and since this forum has given me A LOT of great tips and advice, I now want to pay back. Please let me know if you have any questions.

First of all, a small disclaimer: the curriculum is super-intense, and many of the core classes in first 2 periods are highly quantitative, so the requirement of a 75 percentile in GMAT quant score is justified. Even those of you who are comfortable with data analysis and stats may struggle at times.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
merryweather wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm a current MBA student at INSEAD (15D, in Singapore), and since this forum has given me A LOT of great tips and advice, I now want to pay back. Please let me know if you have any questions.

First of all, a small disclaimer: the curriculum is super-intense, and many of the core classes in first 2 periods are highly quantitative, so the requirement of a 75 percentile in GMAT quant score is justified. Even those of you who are comfortable with data analysis and stats may struggle at times.

Hi, thank for the initiative! I am also a Russian applicant, going through interview stages now.

I am giving a serious consideration to taking an extra course on calculus and statistics before the program as I don't have a technical background. In terms of the curriculum, is there anything in particular worth learning before the program?

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM