Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [2]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [0]
Send PM
Re: The principals of the Barnsdall Museum of Art have made the decision [#permalink]
Expert Reply
CR Weaken Series: 1) Barnsdall Museum of Art

The principals of the Barnsdall Museum of Art have made the decision to auction several works from its permanent collection in order to fund a renovation of the museum’s entryway, restaurant, and children’s art center. Although this course of action might seem surprising, the museum’s director claims that this action will not weaken the quality of the museum’s collection because the works to be auctioned are those that are considered early in the career's of the artists and therefore unrepresentative of the styles that the artists later gained prominence for. For example, the museum will auction an early work by Jackson Pollock of a man done in a more conventional technique as opposed to his legendary drip technique.

Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the museum director’s claim?

Ⓐ The quality of an art museum’s collection is determined not only by the quality of its paintings, but also by what the collection expresses about the development of the artistic talent of the artists exhibited at that collection.

Ⓑ Art museums typically raise funds for activities such as renovations, or the construction of a new wing by means other than auctioning works from their collections.

Ⓒ At the time the museum acquired the works that will now be auctioned, many notable art critics concurred that the works were not particularly representative examples of the artist’s work.

Ⓓ Museum directors typically decry the purchase and sale of art solely for the purpose of financial gain.

Ⓔ Works from the peak on an artist’s career can often sell at prices far beyond what the typical art museum can afford to purchase for its collection.

Official Explanation

Question Type: Weaken
Boil It Down (Simplified & Abbreviated Summary of the Prompt): If earlier works sold -> Collection quality OK
Missing Information (assumption): Those earlier works aren’t vital to the overall collection.
Goal: Find an option that shows why those earlier works are vital to the collection.

Let’s see which option best achieves the goal:

Ⓐ Yes! This option shows that the director is making a big mistake by auctioning off those works if they are part of the bigger story of the collection, and the artist. This shows that although those earlier works may not be as valuable on their own, they play a valuable role in conveying a richer experience at the museum. This option completely undercuts the museum director’s claim.

Ⓑ What other art museums do or don’t do is completely Out of Focus. Just because other art museums do not typically auction their works for renovation projects does not have any impact on this argument. This answer has sort of that “well everyone’s doing it” kind of logic. What others do or don’t do is of no relevance to the core of the director’s logic.

Ⓒ This option is out for two reasons: 1) It doesn’t matter what the critics say, even if they’re right. Official GMAT questions do not appeal to expert opinion. On the GMAT, what experts think doesn’t inherently reinforce or weaken the logical engine of an argument. 2) The time-frame of the option is wrong. This option is referring to the time that the paintings were acquired, but the argument deals in the present.

Ⓓ This option deals with the wrong group—it decries the actions of art traders. However, the party in the argument is just a seller, the Barnsdall Museum of Art. Furthermore, so what if museum directors are against art speculation. Tough luck. Speculation is undoubtedly going to continue to happen. Just because some or even many museum directors don’t like art trading, doesn’t clearly, or even remotely undercut the case for the sale of the works by the museum.

Ⓔ Just because works from the peak of an artist’s career sell for far beyond what the typical art museum can afford to pay, doesn’t matter for Barnsdall’s case because do we even know that the museum is in the market for new works? No. Maybe it has no need to acquire new works. Gone.

◀ CR STRENGTHEN SERIES: 3) Offshore Oil Drilling
▶ CR WEAKEN SERIES: 2) Several Craverton Employees
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Re: The principals of the Barnsdall Museum of Art have made the decision [#permalink]
Expert Reply
apoorv601 wrote:
A
Conclusion - The auction will not weaken the quality of the museum’s collection
Only choice A focuses on quality of museum

Hi apoorv601,

Can you expand on your reasoning a little bit more?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
apoorv601 wrote:
A

Hi apoorv601,

Hi Rich,
The conclusion made by the argument is - Museum’s director claims that (because the works to be auctioned are those that are considered early in the career's of the artists and therefore unrepresentative of the styles that the artists later gained prominence for) this action will not weaken the quality of the museum’s collection
It can be pre-thought that an argument that weakens the conclusion would be telling that museum's quality is not just made of what the director thinks but smth more than that...
Only option A focuses on the quality of the art museum and enumerates that art museum’s collection is determined not only by the quality of its paintings, but also by what the collection expresses about the development of the artistic talent......thus this option logically states that museum director's conclusion (about what constitutes the quality) is wrong
No other option focuses on quality part and thus option A is the most suitable..
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
apoorv601 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
apoorv601 wrote:
A

Hi apoorv601,

Hi Rich,
The conclusion made by the argument is - Museum’s director claims that (because the works to be auctioned are those that are considered early in the career's of the artists and therefore unrepresentative of the styles that the artists later gained prominence for) this action will not weaken the quality of the museum’s collection
It can be pre-thought that an argument that weakens the conclusion would be telling that museum's quality is not just made of what the director thinks but smth more than that...
Only option A focuses on the quality of the art museum and enumerates that art museum’s collection is determined not only by the quality of its paintings, but also by what the collection expresses about the development of the artistic talent......thus this option logically states that museum director's conclusion (about what constitutes the quality) is wrong
No other option focuses on quality part and thus option A is the most suitable..

Thanks for expanding. Nice work. I just served you some kudos even though you called me "Rich".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:
apoorv601 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatMax wrote:

Hi apoorv601,

Hi Rich,

Thanks for expanding. Nice work. I just served you some kudos even though you called me "Rich".

Ohh....srry my bad didn't read your name Max :) :)
i was mostly talking to Rich from EmpoweredGMAT that y got confused.....
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Send PM
Expert Reply
apoorv601 wrote:

Ohh....srry my bad didn't read your name Max :) :)
i was mostly talking to Rich from EmpoweredGMAT that y got confused.....

Ha, no problem! Rich is everywhere around these parts.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts