Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619055 [17]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [3]
Given Kudos: 216
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [4]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: If O represents the center of a circular clock and the point of the cl [#permalink]
A clock can be divided in 12 equal parts, to find out the shaded region more than 10 minutes or not, we need radios of the clock and angle made by the clock for that region.

A) Radius =10 , shaded region angle is not given so insufficient
B) Area if given but angle and radius is not known, so insufficient

Together A+B) we have radius and area of the sector, so we can find out the angle of the sector, so Sufficient

Hence answer is C
Thanks,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
Send PM
Re: If O represents the center of a circular clock and the point of the cl [#permalink]
Expert Reply
lipsi18 wrote:
A clock can be divided in 12 equal parts, to find out the shaded region more than 10 minutes or not, we need radios of the clock and angle made by the clock for that region.

A) Radius =10 , shaded region angle is not given so insufficient
B) Area if given but angle and radius is not known, so insufficient

Together A+B) we have radius and area of the sector, so we can find out the angle of the sector, so Sufficient

Hence answer is C
Thanks,

Please check the highlighted part and Statement 2.

Statement 2 clearly tells us that that The area of the sector is more than 16π.

which doesn't tell us exact area but it just provides us the range of Areas and in such cases it's NECESSARY to check if the Range gives us a consistent answer or NOT.

Unfortunately the range doesn't provide a consistent answer and hence it's not sufficient
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619055 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

If O represents the center of a circular clock and the point of the clock hand is on the circumference of the circle, does the shaded sector of the clock represent more than 10 minutes?

(1) The clock hand has a length of 10.
(2) The area of the sector is more than \(16\pi\).

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachment:
2015-06-24_1004.png

MANHATTAN GMAT OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

First of all, note that this is a Yes/No Data Sufficiency question.

The question “Does the shaded sector of the clock represent more than 10 minutes?” is really asking you about the area of a sector of a circle.

Since 10 minutes is 1/6 of an hour, you are being asked if the shaded region is equal to more than 1/6 of the area of the circle.

(1) INSUFFICIENT: The “clock hand” is equal to the radius. Knowing that the radius = 10 is enough to tell you that the entire area of the circle is equal to 100#. You can rephrase the question as, “Is the area of the shaded region more than one-sixth of \(100\pi\)?” You can simplify 1/6 of 100# as such:

\(\frac{100\pi}{6}=16.(6)\pi\)

Thus, the question can be rephrased as, “Is the area of the shaded region more than \(16.(6)\pi\)?” However, you don’t know anything about the area of the shaded region from this statement alone.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: The area of the sector is more than \(16.(6)\pi\). By itself, this does not tell you anything about whether the area of the sector is more than 1/6 the area of the circle, since you do not know the area of the entire circle.

(1) AND (2) INSUFFICIENT: The area of the entire circle is \(100\pi\), and the area of the sector is “more than \(16.(6)\pi\).” Since 1/6 of the area of the circle is actually 16.6#, knowing that the area of the sector is “more than 16#” is still insufficient — the area of the sector could be \(16.1\pi\) or something much larger.

The correct answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
bumpbot wrote:
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all the topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Thank you bumpbot. This is actually a valuable topic. It's not too difficult. I chose the wrong answer because I assume that It's sufficient when combining two statements, so without calculating. I think that who chose C for this question had the same thinking as me.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Hi Experts - chetan2u, Bunuel, VeritasKarishma, nick1816, GMATBusters

Just wondering, if i can i find the if the area of the sector is more than 1/6th area of circle in any of the following 3 cases -

a) angle of the sector / 360 degrees ...If more than 1/6th, then even the area of the sector will be more than 1/6th area of the circle
b) length of shadow / circumference of circle. .. If more than 1/6th, then even the area of the sector will be more than 1/6th area of the circle
c) Area of the sector / Area of circle as given per this problem
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 5582 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes your understanding is correct.

jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
Hi Experts - chetan2u, Bunuel, VeritasKarishma, nick1816, GMATBusters

Just wondering, if i can i find the if the area of the sector is more than 1/6th area of circle in any of the following 3 cases -

a) angle of the sector / 360 degrees ...If more than 1/6th, then even the area of the sector will be more than 1/6th area of the circle
b) length of shadow / circumference of circle. .. If more than 1/6th, then even the area of the sector will be more than 1/6th area of the circle
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
If O represents the center of a circular clock and the point of the cl [#permalink]
GMATBusters wrote:

[quote="jabhatta@umail.iu.edu"

But why are you assuming that 10 min. is equal to 1/6 of the circle. The circle is a clock, so 10 min. should be equal to:
1. Converting 12h to minutes= 12*60= 720 min.
2. 10 min. of the circle=10/720= 1/72.

So the shaded area of the circle (clock) should equal 1/72
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
If O represents the center of a circular clock and the point of the cl [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mgan wrote:
GMATBusters wrote:

But why are you assuming that 10 min. is equal to 1/6 of the circle. The circle is a clock, so 10 min. should be equal to:

mgan: the wording of the question is very unusual and could probably be clearer. We have to assume that the 10 min is referring to the minutes hand of the clock (10min/60 min for a full revolution = 1/6 of the circle), not the hours hand, as you've done above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
GMATCoachBen wrote:
mgan wrote:
GMATBusters wrote:

: the wording of the question is very unusual and could probably be clearer. We have to assume that the 10 min is referring to the minutes hand of the clock (10min/60 min for a full revolution = 1/6 of the circle), not the hours hand, as you've done above.

Ok, now I see. Thanks a lot!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts