Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [49]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [6]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [2]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: Although hand-written letters may convey personal [#permalink]
I have a silly doubt on this one ... Does not option B convey the meaning that it is the letters that take an effort to write ? I had difficulty with this question .. experts please help !

Option B : letters take far more effort to write than emails do ---> letters don't take an effort to write ! ? ! Comparison must be between the effort to write letter and effort to write a mail.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7776 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
spetznaz It's an unfortunate fact about English (and many other languages, too) that the most common, everyday words often have the largest range of meanings. In this case, you've been thrown off by an alternative meaning. Here, "take" means "require."

sayantanc2k, your explanation gets at this alternative meaning a bit. For instance, using the "placeholder it," I might say "It takes a lot of time to learn to play an instrument." What takes a lot of time? Learning to play an instrument. But without an alternative meaning, "takes" still doesn't make sense. Learning an instrument doesn't "take" anything, but it requires a lot of time. This is a very common expression.

Making authentic soba noodles takes a lot of skill.
It takes two to tango.
"You're a crook!" "Oh yeah? Well, it takes one to know one." (In other words, if one is to recognize a crook, it is necessary to be a crook.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
sayantanc2k and DmitryFarber Thank you for the response. Can you explain why D is wrong ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
spetznaz wrote:
sayantanc2k and DmitryFarber Thank you for the response. Can you explain why D is wrong ?

Lack of parallelism:

The compared elements are:

X: writing letters takes effort
Y: it does for emails (it takes for emails).

The elements are not parallel. In order to use Y in the form it is in, X should have been:

X: it takes effort for writing emails

The correct usage then would be:

... it takes far more effort for writing letters than it does (takes) for writing emails.

Nonetheless, idiomatically effort to write would be better than effort for writing since an intention is depicted. The following would thus be even better:

... it takes far more effort to write letters than it does (takes) to write emails.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello. I have a few questions about the correct option ("...letters take far more effort to write than emails do"):
- Why is it correct to end with "do"?
- If it did not end with "do", would it still be correct?
- If we replaced "do" with "take", would it still be correct?
- Is the answer the same if "to write" is excluded?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ChrisKnapp1231 wrote:
Hello. I have a few questions about the correct option ("...letters take far more effort to write than emails do"):
- Why is it correct to end with "do"?
- If it did not end with "do", would it still be correct?
- If we replaced "do" with "take", would it still be correct?
- Is the answer the same if "to write" is excluded?

1. In parallel structures it is often a practice to use "do" within the second element rather than repeating the verb itself used within the first element. In such cases, the verb "do" replaces the verb in the first element. The other repeated part ("effort") can be omitted without obscuring the meaning.

2. It is allowed to omit the repeated portions from the second element, even the verb, as long as the meaning is not obscured. Therefore it is also allowed to omit the verb "do" from the second element. However quite often, without the verb "do", the sentence becomes ambiguous:

I like sweets more than Jane.

The above sentence may have two meanings:

I like sweets; Jane likes sweets. But I like sweets more than Jane does. ("does" is used to replace "likes", "sweets" is omitted)
I like sweets; I like Jane. But I like sweets more than I like Jane.

In order to clarify which meaning is intended, it is often preferable to retain the "do" ( in case the first one is intended).

3. Yes, that would be still be correct. But as mentioned above, it is a common practice ( and a better practice) to replace "take" with "do" in order to avoid repetition.

4. Probably not, omitting "to write" would make the sentence a bit ambiguous since the reader would still wonder letters require less effort to do what..... though grammatically the sentence would still be correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Bookmarks
Although hand-written letters may convey personal regard as well as old-fashioned charm, harried professionals eventually recognize that letters take far more effort than writing emails do.

A) letters take far more effort than writing emails do

B) letters take far more effort to write than emails do

C) writing letters takes far more effort than emails do
--> wrong comparison.

D) writing letters takes far more effort than it does for emails
--> wrong comparison.

E) to write letters takes far more effort than for emails
--> wrong comparison.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
A and C incorrectly compare the effort of writing letters to emails, themselves.

‘it’ in D refers to ‘writing letters’, so this sentence won’t make a bit of sense.

E has a //ism problem similar to A and C.

B is the right answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Question:sayantanc2k

Although hand-written letters may convey personal regard as well as old-fashioned charm, harried professionals eventually recognize that letters take far more effort than writing emails do.

A) letters take far more effort than writing emails do
D) writing letters takes far more effort than it does for emails
E) to write letters takes far more effort than for emails

In OptionB if I rephrase the sentence as per your explanation then the sentence becomes :
To write letters take far more effort than emails do
Now my doubt here is that in the above sentence, isn't there a SUB-Verb agreement error:
SUB-To write letters( Singular) VERB: take ( Plural) ?

sayantanc2k wrote:
spetznaz wrote:
I have a silly doubt on this one ... Does not option B convey the meaning that it is the letters that take an effort to write ? I had difficulty with this question .. experts please help !

Option B : letters take far more effort to write than emails do ---> letters don't take an effort to write ! ? ! Comparison must be between the effort to write letter and effort to write a mail.

Your doubt is not silly at all. It is very much valid and is very difficult to answer. Let me take a try.

There is something called place holder "it".

Example: It takes a lot of effort to write a letter.

Here "it" refers to the phrase " to write a letter". The sentence actually means: To write a letter takes a lot of effort (sounds a bit awkward though). The placeholder "it" is used to defer the phrase "to write a letter" later in the sentence; "it" does not replace any noun here.

However suppose we do not wish to use the placeholder "it". We would say:
To write a letter takes a lot of effort...... stylistically this usage is awkward - the part "to write" is therefore taken to the end of the sentence keeping the letter at its place. hence the sentence now becomes:

A letter takes a lot of effort to write.

Without applying the above concept, the sentence may as well mean straight what you have mentioned - but since that would be meaningless, we must infer that the above-explained stylistical usage has been applied here.

This is the best I could explain - if you are not clear, probably other experts could step in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
spetznaz It's an unfortunate fact about English (and many other languages, too) that the most common, everyday words often have the largest range of meanings. In this case, you've been thrown off by an alternative meaning. Here, "take" means "require."

sayantanc2k, your explanation gets at this alternative meaning a bit. For instance, using the "placeholder it," I might say "It takes a lot of time to learn to play an instrument." What takes a lot of time? Learning to play an instrument. But without an alternative meaning, "takes" still doesn't make sense. Learning an instrument doesn't "take" anything, but it requires a lot of time. This is a very common expression.

Making authentic soba noodles takes a lot of skill.
It takes two to tango.
"You're a crook!" "Oh yeah? Well, it takes one to know one." (In other words, if one is to recognize a crook, it is necessary to be a crook.)

Hi!
I chose B because of subject-verb agreement. I thought C was wrong because it should have been 'take'. Is this is the correct line of reasoning or am I mixing up my concepts? Also , I thought that it should have been 'writing emails'.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
Although hand-written letters may convey personal regard as well as old-fashioned charm, harried professionals eventually recognize that letters take far more effort than writing emails do

I am skeptical that how can we outright reject option C. Whether "writing" could not be treated to be common for "letters" and "email". Even if it is not common for both, whether we can't treat it as the ellipsis for "email" ?

AjiteshArun
AndrewN
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Although hand-written letters may convey personal regard as well as old-fashioned charm, harried professionals eventually recognize that letters take far more effort than writing emails do

I am skeptical that how can we outright reject option C. Whether "writing" could not be treated to be common for "letters" and "email". Even if it is not common for both, whether we can't treat it as the ellipsis for "email" ?

AjiteshArun
AndrewN

Hello, abhishekmayank. If you straighten out each answer choice, you can expose the problems in choice (C):

B) letters take far more effort to write than do emails [to write]
C.1) writing letters takes far more effort than do [writing] emails
C.2) writing letters takes far more effort than do emails [to write]

Writing is a singular action with a singular verb agreement in takes, and effort is a singular noun, so we would expect does to follow in choice (C.1). In the latter interpretation, in which we can use do to agree with emails we still have a suboptimal pairing of writing and to write. Choice (B) is much cleaner, both in terms of grammar and meaning.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts