Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Letter of recommendation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi, as I mentioned most of the letter of recommendation forms are the same. This year they have instituted something called the common letter of recommendation, and the bulk of schools are following that. I'd recommend that you hop on aringo and look up letter of recommendation. Will show you exactly what the recommender will be looking at.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Hi there,

As you know, this is a very important step in your application because the recommendations should be aligned with your whole communication strategy to support what you’re saying. It is crucial to give guidance to the recommender. Also, It’s good to have backups because recommendation letters should be different for every school. 

Check out our youtube channel and watch 7 Tips on Recommendation and if you need further assessment on your application, don’t hesitate to sign up for a FREE consultation where we can answer all your questions. 

Best of luck,
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
mbsingh wrote:
How do you guys approach your supervisor or manager for writing letter of recommendation ? I have talked to my senior and they're more than willing to help me out and they will put in the time and effort but what if you're applying to 7-10 schools. Should you stick with two recommenders or get multiple people and split schools between them ?
Or can they just copy paste same letter for each school ?

Hi mbsingh, It still makes sense to get get your supervisor to be one of your recommenders for each school. You want to make it as easy as you can for your recommender so give him/her a schedule of which application is due first etc and have any school specific info in separate documents so that they can review relevant material as they approach each school. Much of the info is similar so it is fine to have one person in for the long haul... but be sure to thank them at the end and perhaps give them a gift card for dinner for all their work on your behalf. For the second recommender, if you have an alum from the school you are targeting as a possible recommender, that could be a reason to tweak by school but still that second recommender will most likely be doing multiple recs as well. Once you have the basics down, it is not that much more work and the move to a common recommendation letter is a great move so use that where you can.

Also, be sure to give them plenty of time and have them approach the recs in the order of when applications are due.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hey,

A quick question here is the recommended to get professional LOR's on the letter head of the company?

Does it have any impact on the application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey,

A really important question - I think all great advice provided up above. In my opinion, the recommendation letter is to complement what you are saying and should be used in the context of your whole application.

This is a great opportunity for your recommender to help validate a point or to draw attention to a point in your application that you perhaps ran out of space. Most recommenders will discuss with you what/how should be written. Although I always advice against putting words in their mouth, you should tell them that your application is based on the following factors, remind them of an example which you couldn't highlight in your essays but will help you in your application.

If you take a holistic approach and not think about making the recommender corroborate your stories, thats the best way to do this.

Hope this helps,

Don't hesitate to contact me with any other questions.
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
mbsingh wrote:
How do you guys approach your supervisor or manager for writing letter of recommendation ? I have talked to my senior and they're more than willing to help me out and they will put in the time and effort but what if you're applying to 7-10 schools. Should you stick with two recommenders or get multiple people and split schools between them ?
Or can they just copy paste same letter for each school ?

Hi there,
Many top MBA programs use the GMAC's Common Letter of Recommendation form, meaning they are asking the same recommendation questions, so your recommender can answer these questions once and then you can use it for multiple schools. Here are the common questions:

1. Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, the applicant’s role in your organization.

2. How does the performance of the applicant compare to that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? e.g., what are the applicant’s principal strengths?

3. Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response.

4. Is there anything else we should know? (optional)
GMAT Club Bot