Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:14 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619193 [348]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619193 [19]
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [18]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: PS questions about standard deviation. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Please note the following:
A. I was assured MANY TIMS, by various GMAT tutors, that GMAT won't ask you to actually calculate SD, but rather to understand the concept of it. Though KNOWING how it's calculated helps in understanding the concept.

B. During the real GMAT it's highly unlikely to get more than one ot two question on SD (as on combinatorics), actually you may see none, so do not spend too much of your preparation time on it, it's better to concentrate on issues you'll definitely face on G-day.

Good work.
1. I agree with point A.
2. I do not fully agree with point B. Agree with time saving part is ok but want to work on understanding the SD issues/questions in more detail as well. I cannot depend on praying for no SD questions, relying on chance.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
2. A certain list of 100 data has an average of 6 and standard deviation of d where d is positive. Which of the following pairs of data, when added to the list must result in a list of 102 data with the standard deviation less than d?
(A) 0 and 6
(B) 0 and 12
(C) 0 and 0
(D) -6 and 0
(E) 6 and 6

Adding the value equivalant to mean lowers the SD.

E. 6 & 6.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619193 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GMAT TIGER wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Please note the following:
A. I was assured MANY TIMS, by various GMAT tutors, that GMAT won't ask you to actually calculate SD, but rather to understand the concept of it. Though KNOWING how it's calculated helps in understanding the concept.

B. During the real GMAT it's highly unlikely to get more than one ot two question on SD (as on combinatorics), actually you may see none, so do not spend too much of your preparation time on it, it's better to concentrate on issues you'll definitely face on G-day.

Good work.
1. I agree with point A.
2. I do not fully agree with point B. Agree with time saving issue but still work on understanding the SD issues/questions too. I cannot depend on praying for no SD question as I do not want to take a chance.

GMAT TIGER point B no way means that one should't work on SD issues, not at all. The point B. means that taking into account the probability of getting SD on real GMAT one should spread the time wisely. Right the way you've mentioned: time saving is the key issue here.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
3. For a certain examination, a score of 58 was 2 standard deviations below the mean, and a score of 98 was 3 standard deviations above the mean. What was the mean score for the examination?
(A) 74
(B) 76
(C) 78
(D) 80
(E) 82

x - 2sd = 58
x + 3sd = 98

SD = 8 and Mean (x) = 74 in A.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
4. Which of the following distribution of numbers has the greatest standard deviation?

(A) {-3, 1, 2}
(B) {-2, -1, 1, 2}
(C) {3, 5, 7}
(D) {-1, 2, 3, 4}
(E) {0, 2, 4}

Look for range and # of elements in the set.

A set with higher the range and fewer the number of element has the higher SD. i.e. A.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [14]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
5. Which of the following has the same standard deviation as {s,r,t}?

I. {r-2, s-2, t-2}
II. {0, s-t, s-r}
III. {|r|, |s|, |t|}

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

(D) I and II only

Anything added/deducted to the set elements or the set elements deducted from anything results in no change in SD.

I. Deduct 2 from each of the elements in set result I. i.e. {r-2, s-2, t-2}
II. Deduct each set elements from s. The new set elements in II i.e. {0, s-t, s-r} result.
III. Taking the absolute value of the set elements is not the same as deducuting or adding the same. This act would not change the SD if all set elements have the same sign (+ve or -ve).

Suppose s = 5 and r = 6 and t = 7, {|r|, |s|, |t|} and {s, r, t} have same SD.
If s = -5 and r = -6 and t = -7, {|r|, |s|, |t|} and {s, r, t} have same SD.
If s = -5 and r = 6 and t = 7, {|r|, |s|, |t|} and {s, r, t} have different SD.

III is not always a true case.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [14]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
9. E is a collection of four odd integers and the greatest difference between any two integers in E is 4. The standard deviation of E must be one of how many numbers?
(A) 3
(B) 4
(C) 5
(D) 6
(E) 7

Thats a real good question however I took more than 5 minuets to understand as I went in a wrong direction.

Since the greatest difference between any two elements in E is 4, different elements in E, lets say, could be: (3, x, x, 7) where x could be any of 3 or 5 or 7.

How many possibilities: {3,3,3,7}, {3,3,5,7}, {3,3,7,7}, {3,5,5,7}, {3,5,7,7}, {3,7,7,7}. So 6.

D.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
8. The table below represents three sets of numbers with their respective medians, means and standard deviations. The third set, Set [A+B], denotes the set that is formed by combining Set A and Set B.

Median Mean StandardDeviation
Set A: X, Y, Z
Set B: L, M, N
Set [A+B]: Q, R, S

If X – Y > 0 and L – M = 0, then which of the following must be true?

I. Z > N
II. R > M
III. Q > R

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) None

Probably C only. III.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
7. Which of the following data sets has the third largest standard deviation?
(A) {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
(B) {2, 3, 3, 3, 4}
(C) {2, 2, 2, 4, 5}
(D) {0, 2, 3, 4, 6}
(E) {-1, 1, 3, 5, 7}

The order is:
1. (E) {-1, 1, 3, 5, 7}
2. (D) {0, 2, 3, 4, 6}
3. (A) {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}
4. (C) {2, 2, 2, 4, 5}
5. (B) {2, 3, 3, 3, 4}

i.e. A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

6. A certain characteristic in a large population has a distribution that is symmetric about the mean m. If 68% of the distribution lies one standard deviation d of the mean, what percent of the distribution is less than m+d?
(A) 16%
(B) 32%
(C) 48%
(D) 84%
(E) 92%

I m a little confused between 32% and 84% but i think 84% makes more sense.

If it is symmetric about the mean, then data less than m is and data greater than m is both 50%.

Then, each of the area from m to m+d and m to m-d would be 68/2=34%.

Thus, for data to be less than m+d, we have

Data from m+d to m = 34%
Data less than m = 50%
Thus, total 84% (D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [6]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM