Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 21:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 06:33
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:36) correct 52% (01:31) wrong based on 155 sessions
Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more fuel-efficient economy and hybrid cars that consume fewer gallons of gasoline per mile traveled. There has been debate as to whether we can conclude that these purchases will actually lead to an overall reduction in the total consumption of gasoline across all motorists. The answer is no, since motorists with more fuel-efficient vehicles are likely to drive more total miles than they did before switching to a more fuel-efficient car, negating the gains from higher fuel-efficiency.

Which of the following best describes the roles of the portions in bold?

1)The first describes a premise that is accepted as true; the second introduces a conclusion that is opposed by the argument as a whole.

2)The first states a position taken by the argument; the second introduces a conclusion that is refuted by additional evidence.

3)The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides information to undermine the force of that evidence.

4)The first is a conclusion that is later shown to be false; the second is the evidence by which that conclusion is proven false.

5)The first is a premise that is later shown to be false; the second is a conclusion that is later shown to be false.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 8

Re: Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 07:35
@marcab : which one 2nd bold line ...hr. in fact continious lines .....pls chk
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:01
Expert's post
Actually this is the question. I too got it wrong and too feel pessimistic about this question.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:43
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more fuel-efficient economy and hybrid cars that consume fewer gallons of gasoline per mile traveled. There has been debate as to whether we can conclude that these purchases will actually lead to an overall reduction in the total consumption of gasoline across all motorists. The answer is no, since motorists with more fuel-efficient vehicles are likely to drive more total miles than they did before switching to a more fuel-efficient car, negating the gains from higher fuel-efficiency.

Which of the following best describes the roles of the portions in bold?

1)The first describes a premise that is accepted as true; the second introduces a conclusion that is opposed by the argument as a whole.

2)The first states a position taken by the argument; the second introduces a conclusion that is refuted by additional evidence.

3)The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides information to undermine the force of that evidence.

4)The first is a conclusion that is later shown to be false; the second is the evidence by which that conclusion is proven false.

5)The first is a premise that is later shown to be false; the second is a conclusion that is later shown to be false.

Dude take control of the question.

Sometimes we tend to be confused by the question but the trick to these questions is to understand the overall structure and the sigle phrases.

The first is a fact or evidence. so I write evidece or something.

The second seems the conclusion I have doubts.

the third is not a conclusion is something similar to a fact or something. So the 2 IS the conclusion.

Once you have established that, reorganize the information.

A premise or something; a conclusion and in the end a fact the in somehow support the conclusion

Now I have A and C (the others a clearly wrong)

But C says : The first is evidence that has been used to support a position that the argument as a whole opposes; the second provides information to undermine the force of that evidence.

Basically the first one support something that the argument oppose as whole and the second undermine the first bold part and establish once again the start position.........mmmm it doesn't have much sense.

A The first describes a premise that is accepted as true; the second introduces a conclusion that is opposed by the argument as a whole.

is accepted as true because we know thanks to "have begun" is already done by motorists. the second is the conclusion and then the argument go against it and we know this because the 3 sentence is introduced by " The answer is no"

I was quite tough.

Stay strong :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 23

Re: Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more [#permalink] New post 18 May 2013, 05:09
I do not understand. Isn't it kinda obvious that the conclusion is " the answer is no - that there will not a reduction in in the total consumption of gasoline across all motorists".
Conclusion cannot be "There has been debate as to whether we can conclude that these purchases will actually lead to an overall reduction in the total consumption of gasoline across all motorists. " , since this is just a mere observation by the author and not an opinion or any such statement that makes this a conclusion. None of the answers make sense . Option A would have made sense , if it doesn't mention the second sentence to be the conclusion

-Jyothi

Jyothi hosamani

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NTU '15 (S)
GPA: 3.08
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 01:19
gmacforjyoab wrote:
I do not understand. Isn't it kinda obvious that the conclusion is " the answer is no - that there will not a reduction in in the total consumption of gasoline across all motorists".
Conclusion cannot be "There has been debate as to whether we can conclude that these purchases will actually lead to an overall reduction in the total consumption of gasoline across all motorists. " , since this is just a mere observation by the author and not an opinion or any such statement that makes this a conclusion. None of the answers make sense . Option A would have made sense , if it doesn't mention the second sentence to be the conclusion

-Jyothi

The conclusion of the the whole argument is no doubt the last sentence . The second sentence is a sub conclusion made from the premises given in the first sentence but the author opposes this sub conclusion(2 nd sentence) in the overall argument

Take away : There can me multiple sub conclusions/inferences but there can be just one overall conclusion.
Hope i made sense
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 23

Re: Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 07:26
pjaseem wrote:
gmacforjyoab wrote:

-Jyothi

The conclusion of the the whole argument is no doubt the last sentence . The second sentence is a sub conclusion made from the premises given in the first sentence but the author opposes this sub conclusion(2 nd sentence) in the overall argument

Take away : There can me multiple sub conclusions/inferences but there can be just one overall conclusion.
Hope i made sense

I Still don't see it . I agree that a passage can have main conclusion and sub conclusion. But this does not sound like a sub conclusion either . - "There has been a debate of weather etc " this kinda implies that "There is a debate that weather something will happen or not happen ". Firstly , answering NO to this does not qualify as opposing it. Secondly , sentences that sound like " There has been a debate" , cannot be conclusions/sub conclusions . They are premises .
I dont know if I am missing something .

Jyothi hosamani

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NTU '15 (S)
GPA: 3.08
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 20:39
gmacforjyoab wrote:
pjaseem wrote:
gmacforjyoab wrote:

-Jyothi

Hope i made sense

I Still don't see it . I agree that a passage can have main conclusion and sub conclusion. But this does not sound like a sub conclusion either . - "There has been a debate of weather etc " this kinda implies that "There is a debate that weather something will happen or not happen ". Firstly , answering NO to this does not qualify as opposing it. Secondly , sentences that sound like " There has been a debate" , cannot be conclusions/sub conclusions . They are premises .
I dont know if I am missing something .

"There has been debate as to whether we can conclude" If you rephrase that it's " can we conclude that A is true"?

You see its not necessarily the authors conclusion.Its someone else's conclusion which the author opposes.The authors conclusion is at the end.

When the author says " There is a debate" it doesnt necessarily mean that he has seen a bunch of people debating about it.He is showing us that some people might take the premise in first line and conclude that A is true.In the last sentence he corrects that conclusion and says B is true

Got it now :) :) :| Please tell me you have got it :shock: A kudos would be nive :)
Re: Recently, motorists have begun purchasing more and more   [#permalink] 22 May 2013, 20:39