Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 07:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying e

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying e [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 14:37
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:55) correct 17% (00:59) wrong based on 66 sessions
Retail sales rose 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

(A) that personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubled that of
(B) that personal spending in the July–September quarter would more than double
(C) of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it more than doubled
(D) of personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubling that of
(E) of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it would more than double that of

Meaning Analysis - The sentence talks about a certain expectation due to rise in retail sales.

Error Analysis -

Clause 1: Retail sales (subject) rose (verb) 0.8 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations

Clause 2: that personal spending (subject) in the July–September quarter more than doubled (verb) that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

Error
(1) The sentence express expectations, and hence needs a "world" verb. The sentence used simple past "more than doubled"
(2) in "that of the 1.4 percent growth rate" .. here "that" refers to "spending". Hence the sentence says personal spending more than doubled personal spending of 1.4 percent growth rate .. which does not make sense

POE:
(a) Errors as stated above

(b) Correct answer

[c] of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it more than doubled
"would" not used instead "doubled" (simple past) used.
Also,"intensifying expectations of personal spending in July-September quarter" is now a verb-ing modifier leaving no clear antecedent for "that" or "it" (same for
choice d and e)

(d) of personal spending in the July–September quarter more than doubling that of
This sentence says .. "intensifying expectations of personal spending .. more than doubling personal spending of 1.4 .." - which makes no sense although doubling is rightly used as a verb-ing modifier

(e)of personal spending in the July–September quarter, that it would more than double that of
Same as choice C. "intensifying expectations of personal spending in July-September quarter" is now a verb-ing modifier leaving no clear antecedent for "that" or "it"..
Also, very wordy with inclusion of "more than double that of"

Please let me know if my analysis is ok. Thanks in advance, Pinaki
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Narenn on 02 Apr 2014, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Renamed
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 54

Re: OG 13 # 20 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 00:07
crackball wrote:
Please let me know if my analysis is ok. Thanks in advance, Pinaki

Hello,
I would more or less agree with your analysis, but I would say that you had chosen a more complex way.

When ever you see a question, look for splits (in this, 3 options begin with 'of', and 2 options begin with 'that') and try to see if you can eliminate on that basis.
The thing is that you can save loads of time and use that time to solve other questions.

Splits - expectations of personal spending. Personal spending is abstract. So, it shouldn't have any expectations. I (person) have expectations, Pinaki has expectations, etc. So, straight away C,D and E are wrong.

Between A & B, your POE of A looks fine.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1270

Kudos [?]: 3549 [0], given: 185

Re: OG 13 # 20 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 09:52
Expert's post
Your analysis looks pretty good, Pinaki. Great job! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: OG 13 # 20 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 14:38
Hello everyone!

I choose answer B in this question and then looked at the official guide explanation. Choice B was indeed correct answer but according to official guide explanation choice D (of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of) Although this option is not technically wrong, it is less clear and graceful then (B)
I can't figure out how choice (D) is technically right. In choice D, since verb-ing (doubling) does not have helping verb with it hence it can not work as verb. If doubling is working as verb-ing modifier then what entity is being modified. I don't think word doubling is working as gerund here.
Can anyone please explain what is role of "doubling" word here and why omission of verb is not wrong in choice D?

Thanks,
Badri
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 5

Re: OG 13 # 20 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
bvishaly wrote:
If doubling is working as verb-ing modifier then what entity is being modified. I don't think word doubling is working as gerund here.
Can anyone please explain what is role of "doubling" word here and why omission of verb is not wrong in choice D?

Isn't "doubling" modifying "personal spending"? I think D is incorrect because "that" does not seem to have any valid referent.

Also I read somewhere that Official explanations are not always great.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1270

Kudos [?]: 3549 [1] , given: 185

Re: OG 13 # 20 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Badri,

In Choice D, "doubling" acts as a Verb-ing Modifier that modifies a slightly far away Noun "personal spending".

Here the absence of a Verb does not matter because notice that this choice does not say "...expectation that..." that should be followed by a clause. In this choice "personal spending" does not need a Verb because it is not acting as a Subject as it is part of the prepositional phrase "of personal spending".

In Choice D, use of "that of" is redundant as there is nothing this pronoun can refer to.

And yes, official questions are great, but not all their explanations match up to that standard.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: OG 13 # 20 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 12:22
Thanks ayushman for replying!

Thanks Shraddha for the detailed explanation! It did help me and also made me realize that I need to review pronoun concept.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 5

Re: OG 13 # 20 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
bvishaly wrote:
It did help me and also made me realize that I need to review pronoun concept.

Actually in such cases as in option D, you can try substituting "that" with the nouns available in the sentence, but would realize that none of those nouns would make sense. For example:

a) Perhaps "that" refers to "personal spending". Then D would be:

personal spending more than doubling "personal spending" of the 1.4 percent growth rate...doesn't make sense since "growth rate" does not have "personal spending".

b) Perhaps "that" refers to "retail sales". Then D would be:

personal spending more than doubling "retail sales" of the 1.4 percent growth rate...doesn't make sense since "growth rate" does not have "retail sales".

So, basically there does not seem to be any valid noun that "that" can refer to.
Re: OG 13 # 20   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2014, 18:29