Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and olde [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun generis - I have read the post and I understood it.

I have read other posts from Andrew and Generis. In these specific posts, both experts suggest in option B, IS" CANNOT BE PARALLEL TO "Extends because
the X element is a noun being compared to the Verb in the Y element but my question to the both experts was "IS" and "Extends" are BOTH VERBS

So I am trying to understand what they are trying to explain ?

Can you perhaps assist ?

Hi jabhatta2,

I see that generis asked that user to refer to the same post that I linked to (this one). AndrewN also says the same thing ("To make a sentence that did create a parallel element to a giant fungus that is, in which is is the verb of that, we would need a second instance of that to avoid any confusion..."). It seems everyone agrees that both is and extends are verbs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 319
Send PM
Re: Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and olde [#permalink]
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun DmitryFarber

I have doubt that there can be multiple correct options based on below- requesting if you could help with the correct approach-

Analysis
- "Spawned" must modify "a giant fungus" because of "a single fertilized spore"

1. If "THAT" is getting repeated (relative clauses)- Then B and E will be correct.
(E) - a giant fungus THAT is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles SPAWNED by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and THAT IS EXTENDING for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(B) - a giant fungus THAT is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles SPAWNED by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and THAT EXTENDS for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

2. If "THAT IS" is getting repeated (relative clauses)- Then only A will be correct.
(A) - a giant fungus THAT is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles SPAWNED by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and THAT IS EXTENDING for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

or below one is correct

3. Based on this option A is correct.
(With modifier 1- relative clause)- a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles.

(With modifier 2- VerbED and VerbING)- a giant fungus spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShailendraSYadav wrote:
I have doubt that there can be multiple correct options based on below- requesting if you could help with the correct approach-

Hi ShailendraSYadav,

The correct approach here is to choose the most "effective" option. The best one. When we look at 2-3 options and think that multiple options may be correct, what we're usually doing is thinking only about which options are grammatically possible. But the task is not (just) that. If we see multiple options that not grammatically incorrect, we can't stop there. We need to choose the best one.

A few thoughts on your points:
1. Those modifiers are most likely meant to describe an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles.

2 We would not want to go with is extending (present continuous) or it extended (past) even if the parallelism were fine. This is a truth about a living organism, and the simple present would do the best job of supporting that meaning.

3. The option with the simple present (B) would need the reader to work a lot harder than (A). This makes the first option better than the second.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
egmat wrote:
balajinaik wrote:
My answer is B.

I have always had an issue with this type of question. What i have found in GMAt questions is that in most cases like the one here, the question talks about many properties of a single item. In the process they mix the verb tense thereby confusing the subject.

This Q is a classic example of that. The scientists discovered the Fungi, the next 2 are properties of the fungi. hence extends is correct and not extending

Balaji

Hi,

Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

It is imperative to understand the meaning of the sentence in order to get the correct answer. So let’s do that first. Scientists have recently discovered something that could be the largest and oldest organism on Earth. So what have they discovered? They have a discovered a giant fungus which has qualities that make the scientists believe that this fungus could be the largest and oldest living organism. What are these qualities? This giant fungus is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles. This fungus has been spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago. So this is why the scientists think that this fungus is the oldest living organism. The other quality that the fungus has is that it extends for more than 30 acres. This is the reason why the scientists think this fungus to be the largest living organism

After we have understood the meaning, let us evaluate the errors in the sentence. Now notice “spawned” is not verb here. It is verb-ed modifier that is presenting the quality of the giant fungus. In the very same way, “extending” is a verb-ing modifier that is also presenting another quality of the fungus. Hence, verb-ed modifier “spawned” and the verb-ing modifier “extending” are parallel to each other. Hence this sentence is correct as it is.

POE:

Choice A: extending: Correct.

Choice B: extends: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier.

Choice C: extended: Incorrect. We again have a verb in the past tense that cannot be parallel to a modifier. Also the fungus is still extending. It is still there. So use of past tense is wrong anyway.

Choice D: it extended: Incorrect. Same error as in Choice D.

Choice E: is extending: Incorrect. This is a verb and a verb cannot be parallel to a modifier.

Hope this helps to understand why choice A is the correct answer.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,

In this question I have a doubt.

-a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

In this sentence, if spawned and extending are modifiers, then what would be the verb for "Giant fungus"?
As "is interwoven", would be a verb for "that"

Thanks & Regards
Sid
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sid0791

"Fungus" doesn't have a verb. Nouns only have to have verbs if they are set up as subjects. In this case, the main subject-verb core occurs right at the beginning: scientists have discovered an organism. "A giant fungus" is actually just another modifier for "organism," and then the rest ("that is . . . ") modifies fungus. Therefore, there's no need for "fungus" to have a verb. Here's a simpler sentence in the same vein:

I drew a picture of an animal from my dream, a goat that had wings and tentacles.

The only true subject-verb pair is "I drew." "A picture" is the object of my verb. "Of an animal" modifies picture and "from my dream" modifies "animal." The part after the comma is also a modifier for "animal from my dream." Although there's a verb in there, "that had wings and tentacles" is still just modifying goat.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
bb wrote:
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

(A) extending
(B) extends
(C) extended
(D) it extended
(E) is extending

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/04/02/us/twin-crowns-for-30-acre-fungus-world-s-biggest-oldest-organism.html

The organism is a giant fungus, an interwoven filagree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore 1,500 to 10,000 years ago and now extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a forest near Crystal Falls, Mich., along the Wisconsin border.

Why is extending and spawned parallel participial phrases?

Here are my two cents...
I believe that the subject here is fungus. We can use parallelism here. Extending is a modifier and so is That. Thus the marker here is and which connects as fllows:

The giant fungus that....spawned 1500 to 10,000 years ago

The giant fungus extending....

Let me know if this makes sense.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NamaySharma wrote:
Here are my two cents...
I believe that the subject here is fungus. We can use parallelism here. Extending is a modifier and so is That. Thus the marker here is and which connects as fllows:

The giant fungus that....spawned 1500 to 10,000 years ago

The giant fungus extending....

Let me know if this makes sense.

Hi NamaySharma,

That would not be the right way to read this sentence. The clause introduced by that already has a verb, is. Moreover, spawned is not a complete verb here. That's why if we read the sentence with spawned as the "verb" for that, it won't work:

1. a giant fungus that spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years agoSpawned isn't a complete verb here, so a fungus that spawned by a single spore doesn't sound good.
Own Kudos [?]: 7777 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NamaySharma

I'm afraid that doesn't work. First, if fungus were a subject, it would need a verb, not just modifiers, and there is no verb for "fungus." Furthermore, "that" is followed by "is," not "spawned," and in any case we can't make "that spawned" and "extending" parallel.

Now, you could say that "is" is a verb for fungus, and in one sense that is correct. The fungus IS a filigree of blah blah blah. But when we see "that" after a noun, we know we are dealing with a modifier: a fungus THAT is a filigree. Now that filigree WAS spawned and IS extending. So when we talk about it in the present tense, we can say "a filigree spawned (...) and extending (...)."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor
Scientists have recently discovered what could be the largest and oldest living organism on Earth, a giant fungus that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles spawned by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago and extending for more than 30 acres in the soil of a Michigan forest.

A. extending The presence of “and” tells us that we need to look out for parallelism. The underlined word needs to be parallel to “spawned.” “Spawned” is a past participle as it is giving us more information about the giant fungus. “Extending” is the present participle. This is parallel to spawned as both modifiers are telling us more about the giant fungus.

B. extends “Extends” is in the simple present. This is not parallel to “spawned”.

C. extended “Extended” is in the simple past. This is not parallel to “spawned”.

D. it extended “Extended” is in the simple past. This is not parallel to “spawned”.

E. is extending “is extending” is in the simple past. This is not parallel to “spawned”.

- Nitha Jay
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I got it wrong. After reading different explanations here I'm confused now.

How come spawned by______ is a modifier??
agiant fungus(noun) that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles(modifier of a giant fungus) spawned (verb) by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago-------- past indefinate tense,

OA is A, How is that possible coz it will put a verb and a modfier parallel.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:

agiant fungus(noun) that is an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles(modifier of a giant fungus) spawned (verb) by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago-------- past indefinate tense,

Hi jim441,

Spawned is definitely not a (complete) verb. When something is done by something else (the passive voice), the ~ed form will never be a complete verb on its own. Instead, we'll need a helping verb, like was in the example below:

1. X was spawned by Y. ← Here was spawned is a complete verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
jim441 wrote:

Hi jim441,

Spawned is definitely not a (complete) verb. When something is done by something else (the passive voice), the ~ed form will never be a complete verb on its own. Instead, we'll need a helping verb, like was in the example below:

1. X was spawned by Y. ← Here was spawned is a complete verb.

Ohh yes, gotcha. Thanks.

the correct sentence would have been this: single fertlized spore swapned a giant fungus that is__________________
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Hi,

In choice A, we assume that ''spawned'' is modifying filigree but filigree means a network of wires which is used as an adjective to modify the fungus. So, all in all, spawned is modifying fungus by jumping over the verb? Isn't that a rule to not jump over verb? Are there any other official examples where jumping the verb was allowed?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
Hi,

In choice A, we assume that ''spawned'' is modifying filigree but filigree means a network of wires which is used as an adjective to modify the fungus. So, all in all, spawned is modifying fungus by jumping over the verb? Isn't that a rule to not jump over verb? Are there any other official examples where jumping the verb was allowed?

Hello himanshu0123,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, this sentence uses "filigree" metaphorically to describe the structure of the mushroom; since "filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles" refers to the "fungus" itself, "spawned" can logically refer to "filigree".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0123 wrote:
Hi,

Hi himanshu0123,

Spawned is meant to modify an interwoven filigree of mushrooms and rootlike tentacles (also, filigree is a noun).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Although explanation for correct answer is absolutely clear, but it appears as if subject "A giant fungus" is not having any verb to follow. In many sentences similar to this one where a noun is followed by "That" relative pronoun has a verb for the noun stated before "that".

Ex: A book that is best seller is exceptional. (In this A book has a verb "is exceptional")

Please clarify where I am wrong. And any correct method to come to the conclusion whether a verb is missing for the subject or not.

Due Regards.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshu0077 wrote:
Although explanation for correct answer is absolutely clear, but it appears as if subject "A giant fungus" is not having any verb to follow. In many sentences similar to this one where a noun is followed by "That" relative pronoun has a verb for the noun stated before "that".

Ex: A book that is best seller is exceptional. (In this A book has a verb "is exceptional")

Yep..but look at this sentence:

Himanshu is currently reading "Life of Pi", a book that is a best seller.

"a book that is a best seller" is an appositive, describing/modifying "Life of Pi".
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts