Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q159 V4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Sloan (MIT) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants [#permalink]
Anyone from India ???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GRE 1: Q163 V170
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
AJavadov wrote:
dings go live on 1st April?

I think both admit and ding notifications happen on same day.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Sloan '16 (A)
Send PM
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:
The questions I got were:
* Tell me about when you were on a team that had low morale/was underperforming.
* Tell me about how you handled it when a team member was not pulling their weight.
* Tell me about a piece of feedback you've gotten that surprised you.
* Tell me about how you handle aspects of work that aren't exciting/are boring.
* Tell me about what you've brought to a group/team you work on.
* Tell me about a goal you've set and how you went about achieving it. (I asked whether she wanted personal or professional; she said both!)
* What did you expect me to ask you today that I didn't? (Used this to set up for a "what do I bring to Sloan" response)

These tips/questions were spot on! I'm not sure I practiced as much as I should have but thinking up responses to most of these questions definitely helped a lot for my interview. If I had prepared responses for each question I might have had more eloquent responses or something I don't know -- but I'm hoping I did ok. Good luck to everyone who interviewed and those still waiting to interview/for invites! This is my last school so April 1 will be a big day :s
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Does anyone know when the round 2 admit weekend is going to be?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
dropkicksam wrote:
Does anyone know when the round 2 admit weekend is going to be?

AdMIT Weekend for both Round 1 and Round 2 is April 24-26.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
This wait is killing me right now. Last school I'm waiting on final decision from
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ndukyh wrote:
This wait is killing me right now. Last school I'm waiting on final decision from

I'm going to hear from 3 schools in the next 8 days. I feel your pain. I wish you luck and hope things work out in your favor!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:
I'm going to hear from 3 schools in the next 8 days.

Good luck to you too and everyone else out there twiddling those thumbs

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GRE 1: Q159 V4
Send PM
ndukyh wrote:
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:

Does anybody know if Sloan admits without interview or every admitted applicant should pass interview first?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AJavadov wrote:
ndukyh wrote:
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:

Does anybody know if Sloan admits without interview or every admitted applicant should pass interview first?

You have to be interviewed to be admitted. If you applied and were not interviewed, you received a notice a few weeks ago indicating that you did not move to the interview stage. All applicants who were invited to interview did so either on campus or in a hub city. Decisions will be rendered on April 1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.8
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
j0yd1v1s10n wrote:
ndukyh wrote:

I'm going to hear from 3 schools in the next 8 days. I feel your pain. I wish you luck and hope things work out in your favor!

Same thing here! Counting down the hours right now... I think I have no more fingers to cross.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Did any of you get questions about how you are preparing for school? I am a non-traditional applicant and was asked about my plans for the next few months. I keep replaying my interview in my head trying to figure out how it went. I was not asked many behavioral questions. Only 1, really. Instead we focused a lot on personal stuff mentioned in my app, why Sloan, and why a MBA.

This is going to be the longest week of my life.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Like many who frequent this board, I have a lot of time on my hands and not much else I can think about these days. So here's a mental exercise I did last night, am curious what the other lurkers on here think and whether it puts your mind at ease at all:

1st, consider if 3 people interviewed, one will definitely have performed well, one will have performed well or average, and there will likely be a clear distinction with the third person having performed the worst of the 3. Keep this thought in mind as I go through this exercise, but know that there will be 8 total categories:

If they interview 800 people, we can categorize them like this, in my opinion:

Rank #1: ivy league/great school, high gpa, solid gmat, all-around good career with good recs, interview well, shoo-in

Rank #2: almost everything #1 has but a significant Achilles (lesser ranked school, no quant background, slightly lower gpa, low verbal pulling down gmat, not much experience, etc), interview well, shoo-in

Rank #3: demographics that help round-out the class, ie highly qualified minorities, females, poets, athletes, stellar adversity/personal stories, military, etc, interview well, shoo-in

For the sake of making this a clear mental exercise, I'll now skip to the bottom of the pack:

Rank #8: people who either cannot articulate thoughts well enough in English to make it, or people who come across as smug, pompous, otherwise deceitful

Rank #7: people who had a terrible interview, regardless of which of the 1st 3 ranks they came from above

Rank #6: people who had a so-so interview compared to the 1st 3 ranks above, didn't make a connection with the interviewer, didn't display traits of relationship-building, self awareness, etc. I think this is the waitlisted category. But think about it, 75% of 800 is 600, and they accept around 600. The odds are in this group's favor too.

That now leaves Rank 4 & 5. This is just my opinion, but if they accept 550-600 out of 800, it really doesn't matter to dissect these 2 categories because they will likely all get accepted. These categories would be the same as the top 3, except they just didn't perform as well as the folks from the 1st group, ie 1,2&3 did better than 4,5&6. My guess is group 4 has more of the under-represented demographic types, and 5 has more of the high-stats-to-boost-rankings types. Either way they all likely will get acceptances.

The point is this all comes down to did you flub your interview and come across as pompous and aloof? The stats tell me only about 1/8th did so, while 1/16th didn't speak English enough to warrant consideration, and 1/16th came across as lamers who aren't cut from the same cloth as what they're trying to put together to form a class.

I don't think I aced the interview, but I wasn't a disaster either and I think I made a couple of good points while being genuine. This exercise made me not sleep so great last night haha, but at least it gave me reason to think I've got a solid chance. Let me know what you all think about this nonsense, at least it helps pass the time!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Don't know about your hypothesis but it definitely helped me kill time!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I honestly think that there are just too many unknown variables to be able to speculate about our chances. I have heard that about 60% of people interviewed are admitted but I even have to question that figure this year given that they had a different proportion of applicants in each round this year. What we do know is that Sloan typically admits half of the class in the first round. But we also know that they had far fewer R1 applicants this year because of the earlier deadline. Does anyone know if they still filled half of their class? Was their first AdMIT weekend as large as it typically is?

Also, my guess is that the yield is higher in R1 than it is in R2 given that people applying in R1 generally apply to all of their first choices in R1. (Not to mention that the adcoms have more money to give out in R1 than they do in R2). So does that mean they let in more of the people they interviewed in R2 to finish filling the class? Or do they admit less but pull from the waitlist more?

I really enjoyed speaking with my interviewer and he was incredibly complimentary throughout the interview. But I had only 1 behavioral question/provide a story scenario (with a follow-up) where as other people at the lunch reported being hit with them one after the other from the get go and until the very end.

grasshawper wrote:
Like many who frequent this board, I have a lot of time on my hands and not much else I can think about these days. So here's a mental exercise I did last night, am curious what the other lurkers on here think and whether it puts your mind at ease at all:

1st, consider if 3 people interviewed, one will definitely have performed well, one will have performed well or average, and there will likely be a clear distinction with the third person having performed the worst of the 3. Keep this thought in mind as I go through this exercise, but know that there will be 8 total categories:

If they interview 800 people, we can categorize them like this, in my opinion:

Rank #1: ivy league/great school, high gpa, solid gmat, all-around good career with good recs, interview well, shoo-in

Rank #2: almost everything #1 has but a significant Achilles (lesser ranked school, no quant background, slightly lower gpa, low verbal pulling down gmat, not much experience, etc), interview well, shoo-in

Rank #3: demographics that help round-out the class, ie highly qualified minorities, females, poets, athletes, stellar adversity/personal stories, military, etc, interview well, shoo-in

For the sake of making this a clear mental exercise, I'll now skip to the bottom of the pack:

Rank #8: people who either cannot articulate thoughts well enough in English to make it, or people who come across as smug, pompous, otherwise deceitful

Rank #7: people who had a terrible interview, regardless of which of the 1st 3 ranks they came from above

Rank #6: people who had a so-so interview compared to the 1st 3 ranks above, didn't make a connection with the interviewer, didn't display traits of relationship-building, self awareness, etc. I think this is the waitlisted category. But think about it, 75% of 800 is 600, and they accept around 600. The odds are in this group's favor too.

That now leaves Rank 4 & 5. This is just my opinion, but if they accept 550-600 out of 800, it really doesn't matter to dissect these 2 categories because they will likely all get accepted. These categories would be the same as the top 3, except they just didn't perform as well as the folks from the 1st group, ie 1,2&3 did better than 4,5&6. My guess is group 4 has more of the under-represented demographic types, and 5 has more of the high-stats-to-boost-rankings types. Either way they all likely will get acceptances.

The point is this all comes down to did you flub your interview and come across as pompous and aloof? The stats tell me only about 1/8th did so, while 1/16th didn't speak English enough to warrant consideration, and 1/16th came across as lamers who aren't cut from the same cloth as what they're trying to put together to form a class.

I don't think I aced the interview, but I wasn't a disaster either and I think I made a couple of good points while being genuine. This exercise made me not sleep so great last night haha, but at least it gave me reason to think I've got a solid chance. Let me know what you all think about this nonsense, at least it helps pass the time!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BTW did everyone get a "MIT Sloan Interview Thank You" email a little while ago? I appreciate them telling me that I will hear via portal at 5 PM EST. Makes it easier to not have to sit and wonder all day long. But I thought that they make calls too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
snickerdoodle wrote:
BTW did everyone get a "MIT Sloan Interview Thank You" email a little while ago? I appreciate them telling me that I will hear via portal at 5 PM EST. Makes it easier to not have to sit and wonder all day long. But I thought that they make calls too.

Yep just got the email, I too thought they would make calls, might go through the posts around rd1 to check!

On another note, my interview was similar to yours, just one behavioural question and the rest just a very good chat over coffee!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  60   61   62   63   64   65   66  ...  71   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts