Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619166 [8]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 398 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: The new sports car is heavier than usual for a performance automobile [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ahabib Try filling in "a sports car" where you see the pronoun "one" in C:

The new sports car is heavier than a sports car usually is for a performance automobile, but it is exceptional because of its high-powered engine.

Do you see the redundancy? We can say "heavier than a sports car usually is" or "heavier than usual for a performance automobile," but the combination of the two doesn't make sense. In the second phrase, "for a performance automobile" modifies "usual." But if it is attached to "usually is," we're saying that there's some usual level of heaviness that sports cars have "for a performance automobile" as opposed to the rest of the time. There's no real meaning in that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Re: The new sports car is heavier than usual for a performance automobile [#permalink]
DmitryFarber wrote:

The new sports car is heavier than a sports car usually is for a performance automobile, but it is exceptional because of its high-powered engine.

Do you see the redundancy? We can say "heavier than a sports car usually is" or "heavier than usual for a performance automobile," but the combination of the two doesn't make sense. In the second phrase, "for a performance automobile" modifies "usual." But if it is attached to "usually is," we're saying that there's some usual level of heaviness that sports cars have "for a performance automobile" as opposed to the rest of the time. There's no real meaning in that.

DmitryFarber

Thanks a ton, that helped a lot!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
I picked c. I understood the explanation given by Dmitry Farber. But why is d correct , is usual doesn't make any sense

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
DmitryFarber I still can’t understand why C is wrong..can you please elaborate?

DmitryFarber wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '21 ISB'22
GPA: 4
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
[quote="Bunuel"]The new sports car is heavier than usual for a performance automobile, but it is exceptional because of its high-powered engine.

The tense of whole sentence is present tense and hence we need ACTIVE voice in present tense .

(A) usual - not proper comparison . we are comparing sports car with USUAL
(B) it is usual - IT is unnecessary
(C) one usually is - hmmn lets keep it for now
(D) is usual - ohkay nothing wrong keep it
(E) has been usual - never ever will I choose has BEEN - It means NEW sports car has always has been heavier .ITS AWKWARD no proper meaning can be derived from E.

NOW LETS WORK ON OUR SELECTED OPTIONS

(C) - one (sports car ) usually (adverb ) is (present tense ) - Nothing wrong here but it sounds passive and a bit jumbled . often our mind skips such minor difference .
BETTER WAY TO COMPARE -The new sports car is heavier than usually a sports car is ..... this makes sense .

option D - is usual - refers to other sports car --> sports car in general use (other than this new sports car) .THE WORD USUAL IS ACTING AS A VERB . we dont want usually which is adverb .
so when you plug it in question you get
The new sports car is heavier than IS(a sports car normally is IN GENERAL) USUAL for a performance automobile.....
I anyways have no other better option left so D is the winner :) .
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Peddi The car is heavier. Heavier than what? Heavier than is usual. Usual for what? Usual for a performance automobile.

This kind of phrasing is fairly common:

I spent more than is advisable for someone at my income level.
The amount of snow has been greater than was expected this season.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [0]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Peddi The car is heavier. Heavier than what? Heavier than is usual. Usual for what? Usual for a performance automobile.

This kind of phrasing is fairly common:

I spent more than is advisable for someone at my income level.
The amount of snow has been greater than was expected this season.

Attachment:
D.PNG
D.PNG [ 23.17 KiB | Viewed 3382 times ]

Hello DmitryFarber, could you please advise is my reasoning valid?

Even if we omit comparison made here, this two sentence are correct from meaning standpoint?

The new sports car is heavy for a performance automobile, but it is exceptional because of its high-powered engine.
The new sports car is usual for a performance automobile, but it is exceptional because of its high-powered engine. (this construction sounds odd to me)

As two verbs 'is' made parallel in (D) so if we separate them as independent verbs they still have to make sense right?
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
GKomoku That structure is not quite right. "Than" is not a parallelism marker, so we don't have a reason to make the two instances of "is" parallel. Take a look at the first of my example sentences: "I spent more than is advisable . . . " We certainly wouldn't say that "spent" and "is" are parallel here.

Basically, when we say that something is "more than is usual," we are saying that it is more than the amount that is usual. So "than is usual . . . automobile" is all just a modifier for "heavier." After that, you are right that we have a second independent clause.

By the way, some people might be wondering why we don't just use the simplest form: answer choice A. The trouble is that "heavier than usual" implies "heavier than this thing usually is." (If I am heavier than usual, it means that I have gained weight compared to my previous state , not that I weigh more than others.) So then adding the modifier "for a performance automobile" makes things a bit confusing, even though in real life we'd all probably understand the intended meaning.

By the way, here's the original question this is copying: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-partheno ... 06455.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
The new sports car is heavier than usual for a performance automobile, but it is exceptional because of its high-powered engine.

Author is making comparison of new sports car with Something: what is something: Other sports car, which is not directly referred but just by comparison, In 2nd clause after comma we are told about New sports car that its fine being heavier.

We can test it by IDIOM : X than Y :
X : Is heavier : THAN : Y : Is usual
Correct choice D

(A) usual : we need is ; Heavier than usual gives no clear meaning what usual refer to : car, automobile or something else
(B) it is usual : Pronoun it is wrong : we need comparison: here comparison is made with itself
(C) one usually is : This is strong contender option, but we don't need Usually: adjective
(D) is usual : Correct for reasons explained above
(E) has been usual : incorrect, don't need present perfect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [4]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Kudos
DmitryFarber wrote:
GKomoku That structure is not quite right. "Than" is not a parallelism marker, so we don't have a reason to make the two instances of "is" parallel. Take a look at the first of my example sentences: "I spent more than is advisable . . . " We certainly wouldn't say that "spent" and "is" are parallel here.

Basically, when we say that something is "more than is usual," we are saying that it is more than the amount that is usual. So "than is usual . . . automobile" is all just a modifier for "heavier." After that, you are right that we have a second independent clause.

By the way, some people might be wondering why we don't just use the simplest form: answer choice A. The trouble is that "heavier than usual" implies "heavier than this thing usually is." (If I am heavier than usual, it means that I have gained weight compared to my previous state , not that I weigh more than others.) So then adding the modifier "for a performance automobile" makes things a bit confusing, even though in real life we'd all probably understand the intended meaning.

By the way, here's the original question this is copying: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-partheno ... 06455.html

hello DmitryFarber thank you for help

Attachment:
D.PNG
D.PNG [ 28.13 KiB | Viewed 3141 times ]

So is this construction correct now?

I found below rules in the internet:

Usual vs Is Usual

When something is compared to itself, usual is fine.
When something is compared to a subgroup to which it belongs, is usual should be used.

For example:

1. He is nicer than usual

2. He is faster than is usual for any human being.

3. Ram is faster than usual today.

4. Emails are often written in a much formal way than is usual in writing.

5. The sun looks less brightly than usual to-day.

Also examined the question that was mentioned by you:

tonebeeze wrote:
The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight columns on the short sides and seventeen on the long ones rather than the typical six and thirteen.

(a) usual
(b) is usual
(c) has been usual
(d) one usually is
(e) it is usual

But I was sceptical to KAPLAN expert reply about parallelism:

skovinsky wrote:
Hi,

short sentence correction options may seem easier at first glance, but the correct answer often reflects a minor grammar or style issue, so we need to be extra careful on these.

B is superior to A for parallelism reasons: "IS larger than IS usual" maintains parallelism.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

So in bottomline:

Even if our question is about comparison, we cannot 'explicitly' state what entities is being compared "heart :heart of the comparison"
By the context we can only understand that "The new sports car is compared to other cars" - abstractly.
This question is also 'meaning' based not just a simple comparison question.
'is usual' here is prefered over 'usual' because 'the new sports car' is compared to other cars not itself.

so could you please advise is all above make sense?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts