GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 17:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Sep 2018, 21:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (00:54) correct 55% (00:58) wrong based on 1054 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight columns on the short sides and seventeen on the long ones rather than the typical six and thirteen.

(a) usual
(b) is usual
(c) has been usual
(d) one usually is
(e) it is usual

Can someone please break down the grammar errors for each answer choice, in addition, explain why (B) is a preferred answer choice over (D).

Thanks all!

Originally posted by tonebeeze on 17 Dec 2010, 11:01.
Last edited by Bunuel on 19 Sep 2018, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Re: The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2010, 12:26
tonebeeze wrote:
The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight columns on the short sides and seventeen on the long ones rather than the typical six and thirteen.

(a) usual
(b) is usual
(c) has been usual
(d) one usually is
(e) it is usual

Can someone please break down the grammar errors for each answer choice, in addition, explain why (B) is a preferred answer choice over (D).

Thanks all!

Hi,

short sentence correction options may seem easier at first glance, but the correct answer often reflects a minor grammar or style issue, so we need to be extra careful on these.

B is superior to A for parallelism reasons: "IS larger than IS usual" maintains parallelism.

C changes the tense, which changes the meaning of the sentence.

D has the ambiguous pronoun "one", which technically refers to the closest preceding legal parent noun. In this sentence, the only preceding legal parent noun is "the Parthenon", so D actually reads:
Quote:
The Parthenon is larger than the Parthenon usually is

which makes absolutely no sense - we want to compare the Parthenon to other Doric temples, not to itself.

E introduces "it", which is grammatically and stylistically wrong.

Hope that helps!
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 07:53
Hi all,

My 2 cents on this:
I have noticed, at least on official SC questions, that when we find something unusual it normally crops up from ambiguous meaning.

Here, C can be eliminated because it changes the tense and thus the intended meaning.
D and E both can be eliminated because they contain pronouns, one and it, that refer back to Parthenon and thus makes the sentence nonsensical by repeating Parthenon.

Now, to choose between A and B we have to look for meaning (ambiguity).
A says, The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple - it could mean two things:
1. The Parthenon is larger than an usual Doric temple (this is probably the intended meaning)
2. The Parthenon is larger than usually the Parthenon should be (this is the ambiguous meaning, making A wrong)
So, B comes on rescue and discards the ellipsis present in A. (Ellipsis: practice of omitting the understood words)

B says, The Parthenon is larger than is usual for a Doric temple - Note that the ambiguous meaning cannot be derived from B.

I hope this helps,

Binit.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 09:06
If we think problem in terms of "X is larger than Y". X & Y must be of same type right?
X--> Parthenon and Y--> should make sense for comparison. I choose D btw.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 10:55
rakeshpai1 wrote:
If we think problem in terms of "X is larger than Y". X & Y must be of same type right?
X--> Parthenon and Y--> should make sense for comparison. I choose D btw.

Hi rakeshpai1,

D is incorrect because of one - the pronoun. 'One' has to replace some noun, right? That noun is The Parthenon. So, we have:
The Parthenon is larger than the Parthenon usually is for a Doric temple - does that makes sense?

Thanks,
Binit.
Current Student
P
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 06:57
The use of ellipses in the sentence is what makes it difficult …

Consider the following sentence :

Joe is afraid of ghost more than his wife ..

Can you make out about what this comparison is ??

Is Joe more afraid of ghost than he is afraid of his wife ??…or

Is joe more afraid of ghost that his wife is ??

In such cases, a repetition of “preposition” or “main verb” can clear the picture ..
For example :
Joe is afraid of ghost more than IS his wife …(notice the addition of “IS”)
Or Joe is afraid of ghost more than of his wife …(notice the addition of “OF”)…

Both are acceptable …so we need to understand the meaning and chose the option …

Now coming to the current question :

Currently, the sentence means that the Parthenon is larger than “USUAL” …but usual of what is not clear from the sentence …
The sentence is actually trying to convey that the Parthenon is larger than a usual Parthenon for a Doric temple..

This meaning can be clearly conveyed if we just repeat the “is”

The Parthenon is larger than “IS” usual for a doric temple ….which is OPTION B

Option D : one usually is :
As explained above, “one” is ambiguous and hence wrong…

Kudos if you like the concept explanation !!!

Compilation of Blogs by Mike Mcgarry - Magoosh

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2017, 03:14
tonebeeze wrote:

(a) usual
(b) is usual
(c) has been usual
(d) one usually is
(e) it is usual

Thanks all!

Option A- Wrong comparison. comparison is being done between parthenon and usual.
Option B-Close option KEep it
Option C-No need of using present perfect in passive form infact present perfect is not at all required.
Option D- Close option Keep it
Option E-It is ambiguous referrring to whom not clear.

Now between b& D B is better for the reason crisp and precise and one in option D is referring to what thing( we do not know), my observation- GMAT usually do not uses one though there might be exceptions..
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 00:28
Hello Experts,,Can you help me understand the comparison in option B and why it is better than E
HOw do we eliminate options a,e

We must try to achieve the best within us

Thanks
Luckisnoexcuse

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2017, 09:12
Luckisnoexcuse wrote:
Hello Experts,,Can you help me understand the comparison in option B and why it is better than E
HOw do we eliminate options a,e

E is wrong because the pronoun "it" does not have an antecedent. ("It" cannot be a placeholder, since you would not find the group of words whose place "it" is holding.)

The difficult part here is the difference between A and B: "usual" or "is usual".

The key here is to understand that only "usual" or "the usual" is used when the word "usual" replaces a concrete noun (comparison between two nouns). Example,

The car he brought today is bigger than the usual... correct ("usual" = the CAR he generally brings.)
I ran faster than usual.. wrong (the word "usual" does not replace a concrete noun.)
I ran faster than is usual... correct.

Similarly,

The Parthenon is larger than (the) usual....wrong (implies that there is another temple which is the usual.. wrong meaning).
The Parthenon is larger than is usual ... correct.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 08:05
MartyMurray

Could you please help me with eliminating option A. I am still not able to understand from the above posts
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 18:01
Prateek176 wrote:
MartyMurray

Could you please help me with eliminating option A. I am still not able to understand from the above posts

Here's the sentence created via the use of choice (A), in other words, the original version.

This choice is not that easy to eliminate. It seems to convey a meaning that makes sense, but here's the thing.

The expression "something is larger than usual", is generally used to express that that thing is larger than that thing usually is. For instance:

Last month the balance in my bank account was larger than usual, because I was holding some money for a friend.

The above sentence conveys a meaning that make sense, that the account was larger than that account usually is.

So, I guess the clearest reason to eliminate (A) is that the version created via the use of (A) could be perceived as conveying that the Parthenon is larger than the Parthenon usually is, as in, "The Parthenon is larger than usual."

So, the sentence thus created conveys a weird meaning: The Parthenon is larger than the Parthenon usually is for a Doric temple.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu &nbs [#permalink] 19 Sep 2018, 18:01

The Parthenon is larger than usual for a Doric temple, with eight colu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap