Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 191 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are [#permalink] New post 16 May 2009, 07:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:53) correct 36% (01:04) wrong based on 793 sessions
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.
a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen
c. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling
d. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling
e. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 153 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2009, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
C. A comes closest, but is not parallel - both "increase" and "fall" should have "profits" as their subjects. Also, because the year hasn't finished yet, we should use present perfect.
Do you agree?
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in its profits, which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell over the last two years.
a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen
c. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling CORRECT
d. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling
e. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2009, 07:34
IMO C should be the correct ans.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2009, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO C

a. which increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it fell -->incorrect modifier it. They is better to match profits
b. which had increased five percent during the first three months of this year after it had fallen -->...had increased ... after it had fallen... is surely ungrammatical. Besides, same error as A
c. which have increased five percent during the first three months of this year after falling -->best. The first three months is an indefinitely time and likely to last until now, so present perfect is best.
d. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after falling -->with + Noun phrase + after + present participle + ... is ungrammatical. Besides, it seems to modify for the results, not for profits, meaning The results have a 5% increase (???) after the result fell over the last 2 years --> awkward meaning
e. with a five percent increase during the first three months of this year after having fallen --> same errors as D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2009, 09:55
A and B are out for wrong use of pronoun "it".
D and E are out for modifier issue.

C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 18:25
OA is C. Thanks

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 10:11
I know C is right, but I have a question isn't D a bunch of prepositional phrases that are actually modifying the main verb in the previous clause "are evident" therefore they are grammatically right, furthermore preposition "after" clearly indicates the sequence of the two events so why do we need to use tense to show the time sequence between the two :?: :?: :?:
Note: in mgmat sc it says if the sequence is clear then we do not have to use complicated tense.
Note: I dont think "increase" here is a verb because "five percent" is acting as an adjective or prearticle that is modifying "increase" so without the "five percent" the phrase would be "an increase" therefore "increase" is acting as the object of the prepositional phrase therefore it's not a verb.

Can someone please clarify.

Nanquam Fractum

Last edited by elevinty on 24 Apr 2010, 11:14, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 11:35
elevinty wrote:
I know C is right, but I have a question isn't D a bunch of prepositional phrases that are actually modifying the main verb in the previous clause "are evident" therefore they are grammatically right, furthermore preposition "after" clearly indicates the sequence of the two events so why do we need to use tense to show the time sequence between the two :?: :?: :?:
Note: in mgmat sc it says if the sequence is clear then we do not have to use complicated tense.
Note: I dont think "increase" here is a verb because "five percent" is acting as an adjective or prearticle that is modifying "increase" so without the "five percent" the phrase would be "an increase" therefore "increase" is acting as the object of the prepositional phrase therefore it's not a verb.

Can someone please clarify.

uummm.. Not sure how to answer ur question but theres another reason why 'D' is wrong. First in second clause two events are happening 5 pc increase in first three months nd 'fall' in previous 2 years and the main clause is talking in present.. 'are evident'. When two things are said in past, its imp to distinguish which occurred earlier.

Also when you see the whole statemnt together the first is the main clause and second is subordinate clause.dependent on first. using 'with' as second clause wud make it a stand alone independent clause, you can flip and test.. this makes 'D' and 'E' out.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 12:13
thank you nilesh376 for your initiative, but here is what I think:
"uummm.. Not sure how to answer ur question but theres another reason why 'D' is wrong. First in second clause two events are happening 5 pc increase in first three months nd 'fall' in previous 2 years and the main clause is talking in present.. 'are evident'. When two things are said in past, its imp to distinguish which occurred earlier."

that's what I said but there is preposition "after" in the second phrase(I dont think the second statement which you refer to it as a second clause is infact a clause because there is no a clear subject and there are only partial predicate therefore the whole phrase which is long is acting as a adverb that is modifying the main verb in the main clause) back to what I was saying the word "after" indicates the time sequence so again why do we need to use tense.

<using 'with' as second clause wud make it a stand alone independent clause, you can flip and test.. this makes 'D' and 'E' out.>

am not sure about this, "with" is actually a preposition therefore it is not used to introduce a n independent clause, also "with" is sometimes used to introduce an absolute phrase but there is no way that it can introduce an independent clause because it actually would not have a complete meaning.

further clarification please.

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 23:56
elevinty wrote:
thank you nilesh376 for your initiative, but here is what I think:
"uummm.. Not sure how to answer ur question but theres another reason why 'D' is wrong. First in second clause two events are happening 5 pc increase in first three months nd 'fall' in previous 2 years and the main clause is talking in present.. 'are evident'. When two things are said in past, its imp to distinguish which occurred earlier."

that's what I said but there is preposition "after" in the second phrase(I dont think the second statement which you refer to it as a second clause is infact a clause because there is no a clear subject and there are only partial predicate therefore the whole phrase which is long is acting as a adverb that is modifying the main verb in the main clause) back to what I was saying the word "after" indicates the time sequence so again why do we need to use tense.

<using 'with' as second clause wud make it a stand alone independent clause, you can flip and test.. this makes 'D' and 'E' out.>

am not sure about this, "with" is actually a preposition therefore it is not used to introduce a n independent clause, also "with" is sometimes used to introduce an absolute phrase but there is no way that it can introduce an independent clause because it actually would not have a complete meaning.

further clarification please.

sorry my mistake i shud say the second phrase..

see this way.. if you use 'with' preposition in 'D' . whom its referring to? sure it is 'its profits' just because its close to 'profits' and not to 'the result' the main subject or in fact 'the company'. does the preposition 'with' helps to link two phrases?. the second phrase is talking about increase and decrease of a figure which is profit and rely on a word which wud clearly refer to profit, introducing relative clause 'which' refers to profits and joins the two clause and phrase.

Using after or before preposition not always convey the same meaning. the verb should have a proper tense when used in the statement.

do below have same meaning??
we reached the station after, the train left already

we reached the station after, the train had left already.

or

I wrote the letter before he arrived

I had written the letter before he arrived

hope it makes sense
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 14:41
According to my source OA is D.
Could anybody clarify?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 11:32
noboru wrote:
According to my source OA is D.
Could anybody clarify?

Nobody is going to clarify between C and D?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 07:53
Noboru, the OA mentioned in your source is incorrect. The correct answer is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 112

Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2010, 08:02
Ya i have seen this question earlier as well . OA is C.
noboru : did you wite the exam recently .. I guess I have seen your score for the first time !
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 11:38
gauravnagpal wrote:
Ya i have seen this question earlier as well . OA is C.
noboru : did you wite the exam recently .. I guess I have seen your score for the first time !

It's good to know, since I prefer C.

Yes, I did it one month ago and got 680 (Q50, V32). I'm registered to take it next week but I don't know whether I am prepare to achieve a 700+.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 05:56
I didn't go with C because "falling over" sounded like the profits literally fell over

i guess falling over is ok, need to hope i don't get something else similar
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 12:37
Could anybody further explain what's wrong with D?
Thanks.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

6 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 100

Kudos [?]: 217 [6] , given: 20

Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
Hey noboru,

I'll take the bait! My rationale for C over D has a few points:

1) "Which" in C is a clear modifier - it directly says that the profits have increased after the profits fell, so it has a very clear meaning whereas, at first glance to me, "with" seemed a little less direct. Honestly, upon first glance that was enough for me - C was clearer, and therefore better, than D.

2) Upon further review, I'll even say this - what is the subject of the verb "falling" in D? We haven't set up "profits" as a subject (as we did with "which" as a reflexive pronoun in C), so D has an unclear meaning - what fell?

3) "with" in D should have a meaning as something that joins two things, so it seems like it would link "are evident in its profits...with an increase", making "profits" and "an increase" as two separate and equivalent items...and that's an illogical meaning because the "increase" doesn't have a clear number or value in that case. You can't simply have "an increase" - that increase has to be attached to a number, a figure, etc. So the word "with" in D introduces a lack of clarity throughout the underlined portion - the increase is vague and the verb "falling" has no subject. D is incorrect on several counts.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 21:38
C.

guys please provide source of the question.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!! [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 00:38
That was very useful!
Many thanks!

VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
Hey noboru,

I'll take the bait! My rationale for C over D has a few points:

1) "Which" in C is a clear modifier - it directly says that the profits have increased after the profits fell, so it has a very clear meaning whereas, at first glance to me, "with" seemed a little less direct. Honestly, upon first glance that was enough for me - C was clearer, and therefore better, than D.

2) Upon further review, I'll even say this - what is the subject of the verb "falling" in D? We haven't set up "profits" as a subject (as we did with "which" as a reflexive pronoun in C), so D has an unclear meaning - what fell?

3) "with" in D should have a meaning as something that joins two things, so it seems like it would link "are evident in its profits...with an increase", making "profits" and "an increase" as two separate and equivalent items...and that's an illogical meaning because the "increase" doesn't have a clear number or value in that case. You can't simply have "an increase" - that increase has to be attached to a number, a figure, etc. So the word "with" in D introduces a lack of clarity throughout the underlined portion - the increase is vague and the verb "falling" has no subject. D is incorrect on several counts.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Re: SC: cost-cutting !!GMATPREP!!   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2010, 00:38