Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [4]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Hello IanStewart,

I have silly doubt about this sentence. Is "Paris was her home long before Paris was fashionable to be an expatriate" correct sentence/English ?

Thanks,
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AliciaSierra wrote:
I have silly doubt about this sentence. Is "Paris was her home long before Paris was fashionable to be an expatriate" correct sentence/English ?

No, that's not correct, for a few reasons, for one because the city Paris cannot be "an expatriate" (only people could be). But I think I see why you're asking. In the sentence "Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate," the "it" does not refer to "Paris". This is an example of what is sometimes called the "empty 'it' ", where the "it" doesn't refer to anything in particular, and is just used to talk about the general circumstances. We use "it" that way very often, for example in a sentence like "it is raining".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
AliciaSierra wrote:

No, that's not correct, for a few reasons, for one because the city Paris cannot be "an expatriate" (only people could be). But I think I see why you're asking. In the sentence "Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate," the "it" does not refer to "Paris". This is an example of what is sometimes called the "empty 'it' ", where the "it" doesn't refer to anything in particular, and is just used to talk about the general circumstances. We use "it" that way very often, for example in a sentence like "it is raining".

Thanks IanStewart for your quick reply :). What is the meaning of Fashionable to be an expatriate. Expatriate is someone living abroad. Does this sentence mean "It is fashion to live abroad"
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AliciaSierra wrote:
What is the meaning of Fashionable to be an expatriate. Expatriate is someone living abroad. Does this sentence mean "It is fashion to live abroad"

If you change that to "it is fashionable to live abroad", then yes, that is the intended meaning. And that was very likely true in the late 1920s - Paris in particular was then a very popular place for American artists and writers to live, for example.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I don't exactly get why E is wrong as,'Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate' modifies Paris so why are we not putting Paris just after this modifier instead of Josephine Baker
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
medhawi wrote:
I don't exactly get why E is wrong as,'Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate' modifies Paris so why are we not putting Paris just after this modifier instead of Josephine Baker

Hi medhawi,

The phrase long before it was fashionable being an expatriate is a not a very good way to communicate that idea. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate is much better.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AndrewN

How to eliminate option B??
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma AndrewN

How to eliminate option B??

Hello, warrior1991. There are a few issues with (B) that I cannot ignore. For one, what is it trying to say? Are we trying to understand that Josephine Baker was an expatriate, or that she called Paris her home? The double-stacked phrase and introductory clause are confusing. Is the information about being an expatriate, for example, simply interrupting the thought that Josephine Baker called Paris her home?

For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home

Also, when you jump across the comma to the non-underlined portion, you are left with two strangely paired independent clauses:

Paris was her home, and she remained in France...

Yikes! Notice how the correct sentence avoids these issues:

Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home, and she remained in France...

By combining the phrase and clause in (B), we now have a clear lead-in to the main clause. The expatriate is Josephine Baker, and she was an expatriate before being one was considered fashionable. Furthermore, she has a clear referent in Josephine Baker, without having to sort out the possessive in (B).

If nothing else, I guess the question illustrates why you cannot go by your ear. I hope that helps clarify why (B) is suboptimal next to a clearer alternative. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate

(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home

(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

(E) Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Hi experts AjiteshArun VeritasKarishma egmat,

1. Since both the clauses here are independents clauses because of the presence of comma + and, why is it necessary to have the subjects of both the clauses in parallel?

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

2. I see there is a difference in meaning in choice A and choice D.

In Choice A: J.B's home was Paris.
In Choice D: J.B. made Paris her home. It seems that J.B. did something to make it her home, whereas the intended meaning of the original sentence states something else.

Please help me in understanding where I am stumbling.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi thereisaFire,

1. I would not say that it is necessary to make JB the subject of that clause.

2. To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home is quite awkward.

Overall, D is just a much better way to say the same thing, and we should not overlook that. It'd be great to see other opinions on this, but I don't think that we can point to something in A and say that it is impossible (an "absolute" error).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate

(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home

(C) Josephine Baker made Paris her home long before to be an expatriate was fashionable

(D) Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

(E) Long before it was fashionable being an expatriate, Paris was home to Josephine Baker

Only (C) and (D) are parallel to "she remained in France during the Second World War..."
Between (C) and (D), (D) is clearer. Let me know if it does not make sense
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
alesiasid wrote:
I agree with paralelizm issue between SHE and JB. Now I think between answeres C and D.
Both are grammatically correct. But it is GMAt and we have to choose the one that sounds better.

The only differencу is TO BE AN E. WAS FASHIONABLE OR IT WAS FASHIONABLE TO BE AN E.
There is a rule: all the time I see the clause starts with INFINITIVE OR THAT- CLAUSE, I know grammatically the sentence is correct but I still look for a better sounded sentence with an IT prep in the beginning.
EX : To talk to Alesia is pleasure. correct grammatically. But better to say It is pleasure to talk to Alesia.
That Alesia is a member of gmatclub gives her an advantage. BETTER- it is an advantage her an advantage to be a member of gmatclub.

So, if You see think between two of these sentences choose the second one. If you have only one option- the first one- and other 4 choices are grammatically incorrect- choose the first option.

hope it helps

I agree with you. we can say gmat prefers " it is ... to do" over " to do is ...". look again the problem we still have some other points.

choice d is better than choice c becaue "Baker" is more close to "she" which is in the second clause. "she" must refer to "Baker" and "she" and "Baker" should be close.

"long before... expatriate" , in choice d, is an adverb which modify both clauses " Baker made..., and " she remained". this is quite different from choice c, in which, " long before... expatriate" is adverb of only the first clause "Baker made...". this is correct grammatically and 2 meanings are different. I dont know which meaning is correct but they are different meanings.

so, choice d present 3 different points from choice C.

similarly, in choice a, "she" is not parallel with " Baker". this is inferior . and " Paris" is parallel with "it was" . this make us think "it was" refers to "Paris". this can be correct but inferior.

in short, this is a hard problem.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 25 Jul 2021, 04:14.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 24 Feb 2023, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 4
Send PM
Please help me understand how "Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate" part of the sentence modifies Josephine Baker in option D.

Also, in Option C - Is it incorrect because "Paris was her home" and "she remained in France" are not in parallel to each other.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pareshbitm wrote:
Please help me understand how "Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate" part of the sentence modifies Josephine Baker in option D.

I wouldn't necessarily say that "Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate" modifies "Josephine Baker".

"Long before...." is a dependent clause (an adverbial clause) and so modifies the "verb" made. Basically this adverbial clause is answering the question:

When did Josephine Baker make Paris her home?

Answer: Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate.

D makes sense from a parallelism perspective. Notice the following parallel structures:

i) Josephine Baker made Paris her home
ii) She remained in France during Second world war

Quote:
Also, in Option C - Is it incorrect because "Paris was her home" and "she remained in France" are not in parallel to each other.

Notice the clause in C:

To be an expatriate was unfashionable.

Notice that the infinitive ("To be") is the subject of this clause. This is something like:

To work hard is my motto.

Purely from a stylistic perspective, a better way to articulate this would be:

It is my motto to work hard.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 225
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hello Experts,

Though I have gone through every post here,but I want to know why in D are we neglecting the misplaced modifier issue? The modifier clearly refers to Paris, so how can it refer to J.B?

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
DmitryFarber KarishmaB GMATNinja IanStewart

I am unable to reject even a single answer choice in this question. I request you to help me understand this sentence and to share the reasoning to reject the incorrect choices.

Thanks in advance!!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64933 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

We need to look for the best option and that is why we eliminate the other options here.

First of all, I would think that 'her' is redundant here. When we say "To J, Paris was home" it implies that J thought Paris was her home.
Also, "she remained in France..." the subject "she" of the second independent clause has J as its antecedent. It is better placed as the subject of the first clause.
"J made this and she stayed there..." is clearer with 'she' referring to J. We discuss this in pronoun ambiguity that 'she' - the subject of the second clause will naturally refer to J, the subject of the first clause. If it cannot, then we need to "find" to whom it is referring and that is sub optimal.
Another thing - I like the "J made Paris her home" construction much more than "Paris was her home" with the presence of "long before it was fashionable..." When I want to say "long before this", I would like to say "J did that" - an action, not a state. The use of "made Paris home" is better than "was home" in this case. Not that I can find much fault with "Paris was home" either but since we seem to be pointing to a time before it became fashionable, "made" seems more apt. She did this before that happened.
Mind you, inspite of all these issues, I would hold on to (A).

The double stacked phrases ("for J..." and "long before it was...") are not suitable if not really necessary hence will avoid this option.

This is a bit of a clutter. "long before to be ... " is confusing. Only after reading the entire sentence do we understand what it meant. We usually use "it is fashionable to be an expatriate" and not "To be an expatriate is fashionable".

Sorts out all problems discussed above.

Wouldn't look at this option now with "being an expatriate". One is an expatriate, not being an expatriate. It is a state, not a temporary condition.

Answer (D)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts