Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [2]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
BLTN wrote:
Dear IanStewart
am I right that the reason to eliminate "C" is misplaced modifier "expatriate", which modifies Paris?
I have not seen the rule: "to + Verb" as an introductory of noun clause, yet I have doubt that such structure is wrong. For instance, is the following correct?
- To get high score relies on how strong your skills and mental health are.

"Expatriate" isn't a modifier in C, so that's not the issue there.

Answer C here seems technically fine to me, but it's very awkward writing. It reads like the words are in the wrong order, because the sentence really means to describe when it was "fashionable to be an expatriate", so answer C becomes confusing when "expatriate" comes before "fashionable". I say it's technically correct, because we can use infinitive verb forms ("to + [verb]") as noun subjects of a sentence, but it's much more common to use gerunds ("[verb] + -ing"). So these sentences are both grammatically fine:

To dance is fun.
Dancing is fun.

but the second sentence, using the gerund "dancing", is the version you would almost always see. It depends on the sentence, but using these "to+verb" constructions as a subject usually sounds overly formal and strange. Rewording your sentence slightly, you could say "To get a high score requires hard work", and that wouldn't be too unusual of a sentence (grammatically it's fine), but it would be much more common to say "Getting a high score requires hard work". Because of that, in the original question, answer C would be slightly improved if "to be" was replaced with "being", but it still would have the word order issue I mentioned above. The structure of choices D and E is different from that in C, and in those answer choices, only "to be" makes sense, as I assume has been explained in earliers posts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Hello Experts,

I understand that choice D in this question is correct and others are incorrect but I rejected choice D because of below reason. I want to understand if my thought process from meaning perspective is correct.

Original sentense sequence of events are:
First - JB considered Paris her home
Second - Living in Paris as expat became Fashion
Third - She remained in France during WW2...(meaning WW2 happened after it became fashion to live in Paris as expat).

According to Choice D, the sequence of events are:
First: JB considered Paris her home, and she remained in France during WW2...(both actions happened in parallel before it became fashion to live in Paris as expat)
Second: It became fashion to live in Paris as expat.

I rejected choice D (although I know gramatically its the correct choice) because this choice changes the sequence of events. I have noticed that for 700+ questions the answer choice that looks very straightforward often remains incorrect. This was the other reason for rejecting choice D.
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
Apart from the awkwardness, is there anything else that makes option C incorrect?
I read that the structure of option C is - Clause 1 + Modifier + Clause 2 and hence it is incorrect. Is it always the case that we need to keep the clauses as close as possible? If so, is it true only for 'AND' conjunction or for all the conjunctions as well? Please explain with examples. Thanks!

cc: GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable [#permalink]
hey guys,

Could you elaborate a little bit on KarishmaB explanation? More specifically I want to ask about B.

1. What is double stacked phrase?
2. When is it necessary?
3. Why we can't use it here?

Below you will find what KarishmaB wrote about it.

(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home

The double stacked phrases ("for J..." and "long before it was...") are not suitable if not really necessary hence will avoid this option.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Piotrek wrote:
hey guys,

Could you elaborate a little bit on KarishmaB explanation? More specifically I want to ask about B.

1. What is double stacked phrase?
2. When is it necessary?
3. Why we can't use it here?

Below you will find what KarishmaB wrote about it.

(B) For Josephine Baker, long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Paris was her home

The double stacked phrases ("for J..." and "long before it was...") are not suitable if not really necessary hence will avoid this option.

While using a modifier, we try to place the noun/verb etc. that it modifies close to it. When I want to tell you something about someone, I would like to tell you who that someone is as soon as possible for clarity. The communication should be as clear as possible.

Now look at this:

For a while, Anthony, the most intelligent boy in the class, thought that he would be made the class President.

'for a while' is a prepositional adverbial modifier modifying the verb 'thought'. He thought so for a while (answers 'how long?')
'the most intelligent boy in the class' is an appositive modifying Anthony.
This sentence is acceptable because when we mention the subject 'Anthony' after 'for a while', we know that 'for a while' is modifying the verb that will appear next. The appositive after 'Anthony' is ignored in our mind and we connect 'for a while' with 'thought.'

We can move the modifiers around.

For a while, the most intelligent boy in the class, Anthony thought that he would be made the class President.
Here the two modifiers are stacked (one on top of the other) and we have lost the 'for a while' and 'thought' connection. After 'for a while,' we have another modifier and now we don't know what is being referred to by which modifier. So we shouldn't put one modifier on top of another until and unless they are both modifying the same thing. Even then, we prefer to not stack them, if possible.
such as 'The most intelligent boy in the class, my favourite brother, Anthony thought that he would be made the class President.'
Both modifiers are stacked. It would be better to re-write this as:
'The most intelligent boy in the class, Anthony, my favourite brother, thought that he would be made the class President.'
Anthony is the subject and the two modifiers are around it.
Or we could rewrite it as 'The most intelligent boy in the class and my favourite brother, Anthony thought that he would be made the class President.'
In effect, there is only one modifier 'The most intelligent boy in the class and my favourite brother' and that is modifying Anthony.
There are many other ways of writing this, of course.

The most intelligent boy in the class, Anthony thought that he would be made the class President for a while.
Here 'for a while' seems to be modifying the closer verb 'made'. So it looks like he would be made class President for a while. So this is not acceptable.

The most intelligent boy in the class, Anthony thought, for a while, that he would be made the class President.
This is fine. Each modifier is modifying what it should.

Often, it may not be about what is correct, what is not. It may be about getting the best possible option (the one that makes things clear).

P. S. - If you tag me (by putting '@' front of my username), I would myself be able to help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
TargetKellogg2024 wrote:
Apart from the awkwardness, is there anything else that makes option C incorrect?
I read that the structure of option C is - Clause 1 + Modifier + Clause 2 and hence it is incorrect. Is it always the case that we need to keep the clauses as close as possible? If so, is it true only for 'AND' conjunction or for all the conjunctions as well? Please explain with examples. Thanks!

cc: GMATNinja

Yeah, (C) isn't terrible. There are a couple of good posts discussing those options earlier in the thread. I don't have much to add to these regarding the difference between "to be an expatriate was fashionable" vs. "it was fashionable to be an expatriate":

You could argue that putting the "long before" modifier up front makes the meaning a bit clearer because it gives the reader the important context right away. By the time we get to the subject (Josephine Baker) in (D), we already know, "okay, Josephine did something before it was fashionable to do so..." And what was that something? Making Paris her home.

In contrast, (C) starts with the independent clause, without any context. So before we get to the "long before" part, we're thinking, "okay, great, she made Paris her home -- that's a fun fact, but who cares?" Then we read the "long before" part and figure it out, but all of that is a little bit confusing, since (C) requires a bit more effort and concentration on the reader's part.

I wouldn't overreact to that issue, but it gives us one very tiny vote in favor of (D) over (C).

So yeah, there's not much to go by here. It's a tough decision and one that doesn't really have any interesting or useful takeaways, and it's also a very old question. So if you aren't convinced, don't worry too much about it! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance

(A) To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "Paris was her home..." and "she remained in France..."; remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("and" in this case) must be parallel. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy and indirect construction "To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Can you please tell that if both "was" and "remained" are past tense verbs, than how is it not parallel in verbs already?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 359
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMATNinja In options A and B, can the introductory phrases "To Josephine Baker" and "For Josephine Baker" modify both the clauses?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos