Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1210 [54]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [7]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [0]
Send PM
Re: “Hurricane resistant” classification is given by the government to tho [#permalink]
jumsumtak wrote:
dentobizz wrote:

in C -- reinforced brick, and cement,--Makes it incorrect because then it implies -( “hurricane resistant” classification can be given to str. with const. material such as --A,B,C, AND D....)So ALL 4 need to be used as const. material. This does not seem to be the intended meaning.

interesting.
in my opinion - nope. look at A B C and D as a list introduced by 'such as'. D should be proceeded by and. If there was no 'such as', your reasoning would have been valid. I am yet to see this construction - 'such as X, Y, or Z' in a correct answer.

Though, I don't like the sentence construction here. The two things mentioned are just not parallel. ("to those structures..." and "if the structures...")
But that is true for every other option as well, so it isn't really a differentiator.

Agreed the sent. str. [to those XXX AND if the structures XXXX] is bad. Felt the same but it's present all across
Logically speaking concrete, steel, reinforced brick ,..etc are just examples of construction material which can be used to built the structure .
All 4 don't necessarily have to be used together for construction, hence IMO 'and' won't be needed

for example :--you can get your daily dose of vitamin C from citrus fruit such as orange, sweetlime,guava or lemon (doesn't have to all of them)

will try and find a official question with such as a,b,c, or d (might be difficult though since you say it doesn't exist)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Re: “Hurricane resistant” classification is given by the government to tho [#permalink]
dentobizz wrote:
(might be difficult though since you say it doesn't exist)

:) All I'm saying is I don't remember anything like this and a quick search did not reveal anything.

would love to see an official question.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
dentobizz wrote:
(might be difficult though since you say it doesn't exist)

:) All I'm saying is I don't remember anything like this and a quick search did not reveal anything.

would love to see an official question.

hey I found the Official questions; it took some searching #81 OG 12

Recently physicians have determined that stomach ulcers are not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but a bacterium that dwells in the mucous lining of the stomach
B. not caused by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but are by
C. caused not by stress, alcohol, or rich foods, but by
D. caused not by stress, alcohol, and rich foods, but
E. caused not by stress, alcohol, and rich foods, but are by

OA C.

#79 also has criminal or delinquent behaviour as the correct answer (other choices also contain or)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Okay. Let us step back a bit.
I never meant to say that answers with an 'or' will always be incorrect. Of course not.

But, what you wrote here:
in C -- reinforced brick, and cement,--Makes it incorrect because then it implies -( “hurricane resistant” classification can be given to str. with const. material such as --A,B,C, AND D....)So ALL 4 need to be used as const. material.
I was not comfortable with this interpretation i.e. AND means 'everything in the list' has to be used. (when the list is followed by 'such as'). Again, I've not been able to find anything to support this and that is why I mentioned I don't remember any question to support my reasoning.

In this question, the second 'or' in C, right at the end of the sentence is a cause of concern for me. That should definitely be 'and'; (unless it is a completely whacko argument that slope < 35 OR no overhangs) therefore option C looks incorrect to me.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
if you read the OE of the official (ulcer) question it says the replacement of conjunction AND by OR changes the meaning. Use of 'And' implies that combination of all 3 factors is the suggested cause of ulcers whereas or indicates 3 indiviual possibilities. Similarly in this sent. when a,b,c and d are used they all have to be used in combination however if you pick OR we mean 4 different materials ie not used in combination.

All in all I don't think that this is a gr8 question wrt the meaning and style tested on the gmat. The // is not precise and as pointed out above there is no way to determine whether the author meant 35 degree slope and overhang? Or he meant 35 degree slope OR overhang?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
“Hurricane resistant” classification is given by the government to those structures that use construction materials such as solid concrete, steel, reinforced brick, cement or pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind.
A) reinforced brick, cement or pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind pyramid shaped roof is given as an example of construction material
B) reinforced brick, or cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind seems ok
C) reinforced brick, and cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal or no overhangs of any kind change the meaning with the "or" at the end
D) reinforced brick, cement, if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, and no overhangs of any kind the position of the coma before and does not seem right + change the meaning for the sentence + I am not sure about the if construction at the end
E) reinforced brick, cement, pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, or no overhangs of any kind pyramid shaped roof and overhands are given as an example of construction material

What is the OA on this ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1210 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Bookmarks
joshnsit wrote:
“Hurricane resistant” classification is given by the government to those structures that use construction materials such as solid concrete, steel, reinforced brick, cement or pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind.
A) reinforced brick, cement or pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind
B) reinforced brick, or cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind
C) reinforced brick, and cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal or no overhangs of any kind
D) reinforced brick, cement, if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, and no overhangs of any kind
E) reinforced brick, cement, pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, or no overhangs of any kind

OA to come later after explanations come in
I was hoping to see little confusion over this after I got this wrong after a whisker. But, here is what I have in OE.

OE
What does the sentence mean - The sentence states two conditions under which the government classified a structure as hurricane resistant.
1: Either the construction materials should be solid concrete, steel, or reinforced brick
2: Or the structure should have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of certain slope and no overhangs of any kind.

What are the errors in the original sentence – The original sentence has parallelism error since the identified list is not correct. There are indeed two lists in this sentence that have been combined into one.. First one lists out the construction materials and second one gives the conditions that a structure should meet in order to be classified as “hurricane resistant”
List 1 - structures that use construction materials such as solid concrete, steel, reinforced brick, cement
List 2 – structures that use construction materials or structures that have pyramid shaped roof…

I am giving choice analysis for only C here as it is the only one which is real contender. Choice C is rendered bad with his explanation: This choice changes the intended meaning since it uses the connector “or” to connect the two features of the pyramid shaped roofs. This is because the original sentence used “and” to connect these elements thereby implying that both these conditions should be satisfied for the structure to be classified as hurricane resistant.

And the OA is B in this problem.

What I really feel is that pyramid shaped roof should have got some reference(like that/which) back to structures as explained in OE, though not present in OA. According to me, correct list would have been better justified with a conjunction/relative pronoun as in the sentence below.
Hurricane resistant” classification is given by the government to those structures that use construction materials such as solid concrete, steel, reinforced brick,or cement or that pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind

Let me know your thoughts on this.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
For what its worth - it does not matter whether there is an and/or after 'such as'.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/suc ... 17588.html
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Even though I answered this question correctly, I Agree with pavanpaone above , you CANNOT tell for sure what the author wants to say 'and' vs 'or'. I guess this is the reason experts suggests that one should only practice from official sources. Btw for the AND vs OR issue the offical questions from OG and gmatprep have OE saying that usually there is No way to determine what is the intended meaning so if you observe there will almost always be other errors that help you decide eg OE of OG12 #81

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE:Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
dentobizz wrote:
Even though I answered this question correctly, I Agree with pavanpaone above , you CANNOT tell for sure what the author wants to say 'and' vs 'or'. I guess this is the reason experts suggests that one should only practice from official sources. Btw for the AND vs OR issue the offical questions from OG and gmatprep have OE saying that usually there is No way to determine what is the intended meaning so if you observe there will almost always be other errors that help you decide eg OE of OG12 #81

That's true, and that is when you try and maintain the original meaning, which also makes better sense because using 'and' would mean ALL of the first list must be used (which itself is representative and would therefore mean another such 'and' combination could get you the certification), whereas using 'or' would mean that if one of those materials is used (one way to get hurricane resistant certification) or if the roof angle is... (the other way).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: #Top150 SC: “Hurricane resistant” classification is given by the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
A. reinforced brick, cement or pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind --- wrong for considering pyramid shaped roof or overhangs as construction material

D. reinforced brick, cement, if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, and no overhangs of any kind ---the roof item is a clause different from the other nouns; un//.

E. reinforced brick, cement, pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, or no overhangs of any kind -- takes all the five materials as construction materials

B. reinforced brick, or cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind -- see below

C. reinforced brick, and cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal or no overhangs of any kind --- see below

The difference between B and C is that B by the use of ‘or’ says that if structure uses any one of the four construction materials such as solid concrete or steel, or reinforced brick or cement, then that structure will be called hurricane resistant

On the contrary C by using ‘and’ implies that all the four materials are needed for a structure to be termed ‘hurricane resistant.

The logical question is whether one can build a structure with just concrete, or steel or reinforced bricks or cement. We require all of them to build a structure, don’t we?

Let’s also see the second part. They correct parsing of the second part is:

or if the structures have ( 1.‘pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal’ and / or ‘no overhangs of any kind’)
Now, B, by using ‘and’ means that both the features are necessary, whereas C by using ‘or’ indicates that any one is sufficient. I feel anyone feature is sufficient for the structure to be classified as ‘HR’

Logically, I feel C should be the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
#Top150 SC: “Hurricane resistant” classification is given by the [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:

A. reinforced brick, cement or pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind

B. reinforced brick, or cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind

C. reinforced brick, and cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal or no overhangs of any kind

D. reinforced brick, cement, if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, and no overhangs of any kind

E. reinforced brick, cement, pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, or no overhangs of any kind

IMO B is correct.

It's a close fight between B and C. I prefer B, bcos, there are basically 4 construction materials - solid concrete, steel, reinforced brick, and cement - each guarantees safety against hurricane, I think. So, OR is legitimate here.

The other two little complex options are examples of not so solid safety conditions, as per hurricane is concerned, I think. So, AND is necessary between pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind. So, basically the intended meaning is that EITHER the use of any of the 4 solid construction materials OR if pyramid shaped roof is used then no overhangs, qualifies a structure to get “Hurricane resistant” classification.

I would love to see the official explanation.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
“Hurricane resistant” classification is given by the government to tho [#permalink]
joshnsit wrote:

(A) reinforced brick, cement or pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind

(B) reinforced brick, or cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind

(C) reinforced brick, and cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal or no overhangs of any kind

(D) reinforced brick, cement, if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, and no overhangs of any kind

(E) reinforced brick, cement, pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, or no overhangs of any kind

With B or C
Or vs And usage.. this could be disputed..

On the contrary of above explanations I felt

after such as solid concrete, steel, reinforced brick, cement are used as examples and thats why they necessitates the use of 'and'... to let know that we are done with the examples and now there is one more item - ....if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slope....
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) reinforced brick, cement or pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind

(B) reinforced brick, or cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal and no overhangs of any kind

(C) reinforced brick, and cement, or if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal or no overhangs of any kind

(D) reinforced brick, cement, if the structures have pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, and no overhangs of any kind

(E) reinforced brick, cement, pyramid shaped roof with slopes of no less than 35 degrees from horizontal, or no overhangs of any kind

E, C are eleminated because there are no overhang isn't present
D is eleminated since it doesn't have the or structure
really difficult to eleminate And B i eleminated A as the or structure wasn't adapted in the cement section
Hence IMO B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Hurricane resistant classification is given by the government to tho [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Hurricane resistant classification is given by the government to tho [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts