Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA I
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, LBS, Kellogg
 Q49  V46
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
ke18sb wrote:
I'm a current summer WL and thinking about reapplying in the fall to the Lauder as well. Does anyone know if they are a package deal, ie don't get in to Lauder means you don't get into Wharton. Or can you get denied from Lauder but get accepted to Wharton. I just want to know if there is increased risk in applying to Lauder.

Wharton MBA/MA is only one application, apparently. I'm not sure if that means that you could get rejected by Lauder and accepted to MBA (the opposite is definitely not possible).

You could, however, apply to HKS. That one is completely independent (even independent from HBS) and chances of admission aren't diminished at all. I think the same is true for Johns Hopkins.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I think I'm going to apply in round 2. I visited the school earlier this year and absolutely loved it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Great to see the first thread starting for 2012 applicants.
I am applying to Wharton in R1. Being an international candidate, the only way I am getting to understand the school is through forums and watching some podcasts.

Wharton is often associated as a great school for candidates interested in finance, however I would like to get the inputs on this from the alums on this thread.

I personally am not to inclined towards getting into a finance or Banking career. Can someone throw light on strengths of the school on other areas like strategy, entrepreneurship, general management etc?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I have just started researching b-schools and intend to apply to Wharton in R1. best of luck everyone!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
girlinblack wrote:
Wharton is often associated as a great school for candidates interested in finance, however I would like to get the inputs on this from the alums on this thread.

I personally am not to inclined towards getting into a finance or Banking career. Can someone throw light on strengths of the school on other areas like strategy, entrepreneurship, general management etc?

Wharton is definitely a great school for practically everything you want to do career-wise.

Strategy: a large proportion of Wharton class each year goes into Strategy Consulting at the top consulting firms.
Entrepreneurship: this is one area Wharton is actively strengthening; a bunch of amazing entrepreneurs has come out of Wharton: check out AdMob, Giant Studios, Digital Sky Technology, Freshary Shanghai, EF China, or most recently - Warby Parker, CBL Exam, etc. There are plenty of resources to explore and use.
GM: Wharton's way of thinking about business problems fits the modern world best of all top schools as W puts an emphasis on data-driven decision making; combine that with Wharton's communication program and you have a solid foundation to pursue a General Management career.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Hi there!

Very excited to be applying to Wharton -- the only US school I am applying to. I am looking to get involved in mobile technology innovation for business use in developing countries -- hoping to either be a part of a start up team, venture capital team that invests in technology innovation, or big name mobile company looking to penetrate the developing country market.

Good luck everyone! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
enkie wrote:
Hi there!

I am looking to get involved in mobile technology innovation for business use in developing countries --

That is great. I feel the same about mobile technologies and actually I'm applying to the b-schools 2012 class with this background behind me. It's terrific doing business in developing world.

As for me - I have the following priorities for 2012 applying:
1. HBS
2. Stanf GSB
3. Wharton

I'm not interested in finances at the moment)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Izvos wrote:
enkie wrote:
Hi there!

I am looking to get involved in mobile technology innovation for business use in developing countries --

That is great. I feel the same about mobile technologies and actually I'm applying to the b-schools 2012 class with this background behind me. It's terrific doing business in developing world.

As for me - I have the following priorities for 2012 applying:
1. HBS
2. Stanf GSB
3. Wharton

I'm not interested in finances at the moment)

Oh cool. So what are you hoping to do after your MBA? I am currently involved in Web and New Media with some limited mobile experience (for mobile, it's mainly in the fundraising, grassroots activism arena. For web, my exp spans across nonprofit, private, eCommerce, government, and education).

And btw, how many years of work experience do you have? I happen to be of a more "senior" class of applicants, being 31, so I decided to not target HBS since they are intentionally skewing towards very young applicants with limited work exp (less than 5 years, usually 1 - 3 years).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
enkie wrote:
Izvos wrote:
enkie wrote:
Hi there!

And btw, how many years of work experience do you have? I happen to be of a more "senior" class of applicants, being 31, so I decided to not target HBS since they are intentionally skewing towards very young applicants with limited work exp (less than 5 years, usually 1 - 3 years).

Actually, I'm 25 and I have 4 years of professional experience.

- 3 years within KPMG (finances)
- 2 months Adidas (finances)
- 8 months Weatherford (finances)
- 1 year of entrepreneurial activity [at the moment]

I really want to do smth challenging (own business, startup etc.) but few weeks ago I was having lunch with HBS alumni, who works for IB in developing country and he described me very interesting picture of being in direct investment management.

Ideally, I want to combine own business and corporate life :)

And you? What is the ideal picture of world around you after MBA? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hcueva wrote:
ke18sb wrote:
I'm a current summer WL and thinking about reapplying in the fall to the Lauder as well. Does anyone know if they are a package deal, ie don't get in to Lauder means you don't get into Wharton. Or can you get denied from Lauder but get accepted to Wharton. I just want to know if there is increased risk in applying to Lauder.

Wharton MBA/MA is only one application, apparently. I'm not sure if that means that you could get rejected by Lauder and accepted to MBA (the opposite is definitely not possible).

You could, however, apply to HKS. That one is completely independent (even independent from HBS) and chances of admission aren't diminished at all. I think the same is true for Johns Hopkins.

I also started MBA preparation blog and looking for blog pall)) if you became interested it would be great))
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Izvos wrote:

Haha yeah looks like you are in the ideal range for HBS. :) Good luck, it sounds very exciting!

I am mainly targeting European schools, first choice (aside from Wharton) being LBS and Insead. Second choice Oxford and Cambridge. A few reasons why I'm targeting those schools: 1. I hope to move to Europe (boyfriend lives in Europe -- and the European work/life balance really appeals to me). 2. I like Europe's proximity to Africa and Asia (two of the regions I'd like to target). 3. Lower MBA cost. Also, the shorter programs also appeal to me as I already have a masters in economics and policy from Columbia.

Hopefully life after MBA means I can dedicate myself as part of a startup or venture capitalist team. :)

Did you take your GMAT yet? I am taking it on June 25.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Izvos wrote:
I also started MBA preparation blog and looking for blog pall)) if you became interested it would be great))

What's your blog address. Mine is in the signature.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pyarapopat wrote:
Izvos wrote:

What's your blog address. Mine is in the signature.

mine blog name i izvos dot com

also, i surfed through yours - you're good and have very good results
Manager
Manager
Send PM
enkie wrote:
Izvos wrote:

Haha yeah looks like you are in the ideal range for HBS. :) Good luck, it sounds very exciting!

I am mainly targeting European schools, first choice (aside from Wharton) being LBS and Insead. Second choice Oxford and Cambridge. A few reasons why I'm targeting those schools: 1. I hope to move to Europe (boyfriend lives in Europe -- and the European work/life balance really appeals to me). 2. I like Europe's proximity to Africa and Asia (two of the regions I'd like to target). 3. Lower MBA cost. Also, the shorter programs also appeal to me as I already have a masters in economics and policy from Columbia.

Hopefully life after MBA means I can dedicate myself as part of a startup or venture capitalist team. :)

Did you take your GMAT yet? I am taking it on June 25.

I live in Europe and targeted on USA (I want to come back home after). By the way, I admire you and your boyfriend (my last relations were destroyed by the 200 miles distance) ;)

With regard to GMAT - actually I'm just starting preparation from this weekend (kind of admission consultants) - and consider that there is plenty of time before 2nd round application.

Speaking about Europe Bschools - I like Insead spirit (+location is great).

feeling nervous about GMAT?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
xerox, could you go into more details about Wharton's communications program? Thank you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
So, Mr Unbeatable, Mr WD, this is where you've been hiding.

I am one of the Wharton/Lauder alums in Singapore to which my dear friend xerox is alluding. Everything he says is totally on point, accept for his profile picture- he was never that beautiful.

And what's with that flower anyway?

Cheers!
CP (cannedpineapples)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
cannedpineapples wrote:
So, Mr Unbeatable, Mr WD, this is where you've been hiding.

I am one of the Wharton/Lauder alums in Singapore to which my dear friend xerox is alluding. Everything he says is totally on point, accept for his profile picture- he was never that beautiful.

And what's with that flower anyway?

Cheers!
CP (cannedpineapples)

Aha! We haz succezz! Now two Wharton/Lauder alums are live on the forum! Canned Pineapples is one of the best sources of spot-on advice about the school. Lore has it that CP put his/her school application together in just four weeks or so, but I would just let this be a rumor and neither seek an official confirmation nor otherwise; one thing for sure - the individual is a super valuable encyclopedia of b-school admissions.

The flower is here to stay - I love it: what's not to love?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts