Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Where should I apply? (with case studies) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
neoB wrote:
Hi Linda / Jon,

Can you please help me in identifying the schools that I should target based on my profile and career goals? I plan to start my MBA in Fall 2014 and will be applying in the second round for most schools.

Gender - Male
Age - 26
Nationality - Indian

Educational Qualification
Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
Year of Graduation: 2009

Work Experience
Total Work Experience: 5 years (including 1 year internship)

Overview:
- organize the dispensary, outpatient department and will allot duties to the ancillary staff to ensure smooth running of the OPD
- make suitable arrangements for the distribution of work in the treatment of emergency cases which come outside the normal OPD hours
- cooperate and or coordinate with other institutions providing medical care services in my area
- visit Sub-centers in my area to monitor and supervise the work of the staffs
- I ensure that all the members of my Health Team are fully conversant with the various National Health & Family Welfare Programs to be implemented in the area allotted to each Health functionary. I will further supervise their work periodically give them the necessary guidance and direction. I prepare operational plans and ensure effective implementation of the same to achieve the laid down targets under different National Health and Family Welfare Programs. I provide assistance in the formulation of health and sanitation plan through the ANMs and coordinate with the PRIs in my Health Centre area.
- I keep close liaison with local administrative officer and his/her staff, community leaders and various social welfare agencies in my area and involve them to the best advantage in the promotion of health programs in the area. Wherever possible, I conduct field investigations to delineate local health problems for planning changes in the strategy of the effective delivery of Health and Family welfare services. I coordinate and facilitate the functioning of other doctors in the Health Centre.
- organize training programs including continuing education for the staff of PHC and VHN under the guidance of the district health authorities and Health & Family Welfare Training centers
- ensure to keep up to date inventory and stock register of all the stores and equipment supplied to me and am responsible for its correct accounting
- get indents prepared timely for drugs, instruments, vaccines, ORS and contraceptive etc. sufficiently in advance and will submit them to the appropriate health authorities
- scrutinize the programs of his/her staff and implement changes if necessary to suit the priority of work
- hold monthly staff meetings with my own staff with a view to evaluating the progress of work and suggesting steps to be taken for further improvements
- receive reports from different parts of my area, get them compiled and submit them regularly to the my authorities

{During my Internship:
I interned in twenty three different Medical specialities at the 1400 bedded Government Hospital. I provided -
Medical Services
• Part of First Response Teams for effective management of emergencies
• Counselled and Negotiated with patients and relatives in distress situations

Administrative Services
• Delegated and supervised work of hospital staff, ensured quality delivery of health services
• Guided and trained undergraduate medical students on basic medical skills

Rural Health Services
• Provided health education and counselling to rural people at Jawan village for three months
}

GMAT:
Score: 710 (92%ile)
Quant: 51
Verbal: 33

Post MBA goals
Short term: I would like to be placed in a pharmaceutical or healthcare related company just after finishing MBA.
Long term: My long term goal is to start a chain of healthcare institutes that are accessible to different strata of our society and provide them services according to their necessities.

I have already applied to ISB (India). Please suggest other good and practical schools in United States that I could apply to...

Thanks in advance...

You're welcome. Thanks for your post.

Consider Duke, Tuck, Yale, Cornell Johnson, and CMU Tepper. For stretch programs look into Wharton, Haas and Columbia. Wharton has a healthcare management program. For an interview with the director, please see https://blog.accepted.com/2013/10/10/healthcare-management-at-wharton-and-at-large/

Best,
Linda Abraham
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
What if Ajay retakes GMAT and scores 750. Ajay has cleared CFA L1 :).
Ajay wants to get into Finance, not necessarily Bulge Bracket I Banking but into investment research.
Which schools should he target. This is another typical profile.

Ajay should thanks his lucky stars, or his parents that he is such a clever guy, and apply to whatever finance oriented school he likes, and hope that his essays are good as his GMAT.

Another hypothetical situation :-D :Ajay is not from an IIT,but is from a decent enough engineering college,working in a world renowned American IT firm.Co-incidentally,the firm's consulting division is also top notch,and he wants an MBA from an English speaking country,to get into management/strategic consulting, preferably in his existing firm.Also,he does not have CFA cleared,but has a 700+ GMAT score and is need of aid/scholarships for his MBA.Which schools can be targeted? :?:
Send PM
Expert Reply
DebWenger wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
What if Ajay retakes GMAT and scores 750. Ajay has cleared CFA L1 :).
Ajay wants to get into Finance, not necessarily Bulge Bracket I Banking but into investment research.
Which schools should he target. This is another typical profile.

Ajay should thanks his lucky stars, or his parents that he is such a clever guy, and apply to whatever finance oriented school he likes, and hope that his essays are good as his GMAT.

Another hypothetical situation :-D :Ajay is not from an IIT,but is from a decent enough engineering college,working in a world renowned American IT firm.Co-incidentally,the firm's consulting division is also top notch,and he wants an MBA from an English speaking country,to get into management/strategic consulting, preferably in his existing firm.Also,he does not have CFA cleared,but has a 700+ GMAT score and is need of aid/scholarships for his MBA.Which schools can be targeted? :?:

A few questions for this "Ajay":

1. How were Ajay's grades?
2. How much above 700 is that GMAT and how is it broken down?
3. Has his existing firm indicated any willingness to sponsor or rehire Ajay once he gets the MBA?
4. What does Ajay do for the American company? How long has he been doing it? Any noteworthy achievements while working for this IT company?
5. Any leadership experience?

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Linda for bringing up these questions.I'll try to make them as realistic as possible while answering them.

1. How were Ajay's grades?->say 8.2/10

2. How much above 700 is that GMAT and how is it broken down?->say around 94% ile overall and 97 Math and 89 Verbal.Btw,in what range will the scores be for such percentiles,like,when it is calculated on 800?

3. Has his existing firm indicated any willingness to sponsor or rehire Ajay once he gets the MBA?->No

4. a)What does Ajay do for the American company? b)How long has he been doing it? c)Any noteworthy achievements while working for this IT company?

Ans a)In a single sentence,he's into implementing IT solutions for Fortune 500 client companies all American.

Ans b)For over 3.5 years

Ans c)He's been recipient of company's highest award in the Team category,for process improvement apart from other accomplishments as well

5. Any leadership experience?->Led a small team 2/3 individuals and also worked in a project single handedly.
Send PM
Expert Reply
DebWenger wrote:
Thanks Linda for bringing up these questions.I'll try to make them as realistic as possible while answering them.

1. How were Ajay's grades?->say 8.2/10

2. How much above 700 is that GMAT and how is it broken down?->say around 94% ile overall and 97 Math and 89 Verbal.Btw,in what range will the scores be for such percentiles,like,when it is calculated on 800?

3. Has his existing firm indicated any willingness to sponsor or rehire Ajay once he gets the MBA?->No

4. a)What does Ajay do for the American company? b)How long has he been doing it? c)Any noteworthy achievements while working for this IT company?

Ans a)In a single sentence,he's into implementing IT solutions for Fortune 500 client companies all American.

Ans b)For over 3.5 years

Ans c)He's been recipient of company's highest award in the Team category,for process improvement apart from other accomplishments as well

5. Any leadership experience?->Led a small team 2/3 individuals and also worked in a project single handedly.

You're welcome an thanks for the additional information. FYI, you can find GMAT scores/percentiles at https://www.mba.com/us/the-gmat-exam/gma ... -mean.aspx .

One suggestion: If possible try networking or having informational interviews with some of the strat consultants in your firm. Ask where they went to school. If a given school has a strong network at this company, that would be worth knowing and possibly a reason to apply.

I suggestion you consider Yale, Duke, Ross, Kellogg, MIT, Booth, Darden, Tuck, and Wharton. All these programs send a significant proportion of grads into consulting and there is a mix of programs where you are more competitive and acceptance rates are slightly more favorable (Duke, Ross, Darden, Yale) and where you are less likely to gain acceptance (Kellogg, MIT, Wharton), but it would be worth the effort if you did.

FYI, I'm giving a webinar on April 30 on the Secret to MBA Acceptance. You and anyone else who is interested are invited. The "secret" is relevant to this thread and discussion.

Best,
Linda

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a ton,Linda for clearly setting the right expectations through your choices. :) That's a really useful template, from where I can start my application process. :-D 8-) And,yeah,I'm most certainly going to join your webinar,really excited about it! :-D
Send PM
Expert Reply
DebWenger wrote:
Thanks a ton,Linda for clearly setting the right expectations through your choices. :) That's a really useful template, from where I can start my application process. :-D 8-) And,yeah,I'm most certainly going to join your webinar,really excited about it! :-D

Look forward to seeing you there. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3
WE:General Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Dear Linda and Jon,

Thank you for your hard work and kind advice here.

I would like to ask for some suggestion about school and round choices.

Profile:

Male
China passport

Career goal:
Short term: I want to join NBA for international strategy and business development. This has always been my dream. I am a huge basketball fan, having watched all NBA finals from 1991 to 2013 (2014 around corner~), at least 3 times. 8-)
Long term: To promote professional basketball in Asia, maybe by entrepreneurship.
Backup: Strategic consulting towards Asia

Education Background:
B.Eng from National University of Singapore, class of 2012, 75% out of 100 (UK CAP), at least 90% for all quant modules. Full scholarship.
CFA Level II candidate
GMAT 760, Q51, V41, IR8.
Japanese N2 pass, frequent user

Work Experience:
2 years in entertainment industry by time of application, Japanese company, top 3% in promotion speed :lol:
Assisted senior manager to start up the Europe subsidiary (by two of us)
Introduced company to mainland China by negotiating and contracting with major distributor
Audited USA subsidiary, set up standard record and report procedures, demonstrated to new manager from Japan
Coordinated first audit of company
Reformed tax agreement with major media partners to avoid penalty
Organized events in various countries
Internship at energy corporation:
Modeled and analyzed electricity market of Singapore, to support the board in a S$15 million tender evaluation of power plant project

Extra-curriculum:
Led a team of four participating Bain & Co case challenge, ending final four in Singapore
Volunteered to serve mental health institution, became a leader of ten
Basketball player of department team
Active in drama and Chinese cross talk performance
Coordinated several Japanese culture event in undergrad

In preparation of 2015 Fall intake, I feel Kellogg is the best fit of me, so is Fuqua (Duke's splendid history in NCAA basketball being very attractive). Other interested schools include Tuck, Ross, Johnson, CBS, Yale, and K-F of UNC. I need some advice on school choice as well as the arrangement of rounding. Also, I wanna try my full effort for HBS. Is it still within my reach? :?: :?:

Your evaluation and advice will be very helpful to my preparation. Do let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you!

Originally posted by Antarc on 14 Apr 2014, 07:21.
Last edited by Antarc on 16 Apr 2014, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Antarc wrote:
Dear Linda and Jon,

Profile:

Male
China passport

Career goal:
Short term: I want to join NBA for international strategy and business development. This has always been my dream. I am a huge basketball fan, having watched all NBA finals from 1991 to 2013 (2014 around corner~), at least 3 times. 8-)
Long term: To promote professional basketball in Asia, maybe by entrepreneurship.

Education Background:
B.Eng from National University of Singapore, class of 2012, 75% out of 100 (UK CAP), at least 90% for all quant modules. Full scholarship.
CFA Level II candidate
GMAT 760, Q51, V42, IR8.

Work Experience:
2 years in entertainment industry by time of application, Japanese company, top 3% in promotion speed :lol:
Introduced company to mainland China by negotiating and contracting with major distributor
Audited USA subsidiary, set up standard record and report procedures, demonstrated to new manager from Japan
Modeled and analyzed electricity market of Singapore, to support the board in a S$15 million tender evaluation of power plant project

Extra-curriculum:
Led a team of four participating Bain & Co case challenge, ending final four in Singapore

In preparation of 2015 Fall intake, I feel Kellogg is the best fit of me, so is Fuqua (Duke's splendid history in NCAA basketball being very attractive). Other interested schools include Tuck, Ross, Johnson, CBS, Yale, and K-F of UNC. I need some advice on school choice as well as the arrangement of rounding. Also, I wanna try my full effort for HBS. Is it still within my reach? :?: :?:

Your evaluation and advice will be very helpful to my preparation. Do let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you!

Yes. It's reasonable for you to try for HBS. Basically you've chosen your schools well in terms of strategy and a focus on general management as well as int'l. I'm not so knowledgeable about the basketball angle. Plus I think if you get into a great program for strat and general management, considering your background and passion for basketball, you'll make it happen. I might suggest UCLA for its strength in entertainment and media over Ross or Johnson; it also has strong ties to Asia. Same with USC over UNC K-F.

Otherwise, you've done your homework well. Good choices!

Best,
Linda

Originally posted by Accepted.com on 14 Apr 2014, 10:38.
Last edited by Accepted.com on 17 Apr 2014, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
Antarc wrote:
Dear Linda and Jon,

Profile:

Male
China passport

Career goal:

Education Background:
CFA Level II candidate
GMAT 760, Q51, V42, IR8.

Work Experience:

Extra-curriculum:

Thank you!

Yes. It's reasonable for you to try for HBS. Basically you've chosen your schools well in terms of strategy and a focus on general management as well as int'l. I'm not so knowledgeable about the basketball angle. Plus I think if you get into a great program for strat and general management, considering your background and passion for basketball, you'll make it happen. I'm might suggest UCLA for its strength in entertainment and media over Ross or Johnson; it also has strong ties to Asia. Same with USC over UNC K-F.

Best,
Linda

Thank you for your analysis and advice. I will dig out more about those two. So in your point of view, is my CG reasonable and convincing enough for MBA Adcoms? In case they may also not be very knowledgeable in this area.
In addition, is there anything I should note in choosing the rounds of application? For example, I noticed that CBS did not admit any applicants from China after ED round.

Thanks and Regards
Send PM
Expert Reply
Antarc wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
Antarc wrote:
Dear Linda and Jon,

Profile:

Male
China passport

Career goal:

Education Background:
CFA Level II candidate
GMAT 760, Q51, V42, IR8.

Work Experience:

Extra-curriculum:

Thank you!

Yes. It's reasonable for you to try for HBS. Basically you've chosen your schools well in terms of strategy and a focus on general management as well as int'l. I'm not so knowledgeable about the basketball angle. Plus I think if you get into a great program for strat and general management, considering your background and passion for basketball, you'll make it happen. I'm might suggest UCLA for its strength in entertainment and media over Ross or Johnson; it also has strong ties to Asia. Same with USC over UNC K-F.

Best,
Linda

Thank you for your analysis and advice. I will dig out more about those two. So in your point of view, is my CG reasonable and convincing enough for MBA Adcoms? In case they may also not be very knowledgeable in this area.
In addition, is there anything I should note in choosing the rounds of application? For example, I noticed that CBS did not admit any applicants from China after ED round.

Thanks and Regards

You're welcome.

I'm guessing that CG is "career goal." It is convincing and feasible. However, it's also fairly narrow, it might be wise to also be able to articulate a Plan B in case you can't get a job with the NBA immediately after bschool. An intermediate stepping-stone on the way to the NBA.

My advise is to apply in the earliest round possible PROVIDED you don't compromise the quality of your application.

For more on this topic, please see:

MBA Admission: The Great Round 1/Round 2 Fight
What's the rush? Round 1 v. Round 2 for MBA applicants

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Accepted.com wrote:
Antarc wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:

Best,
Linda

Thanks and Regards

You're welcome.

I'm guessing that CG is "career goal." It is convincing and feasible. However, it's also fairly narrow, it might be wise to also be able to articulate a Plan B in case you can't get a job with the NBA immediately after bschool. An intermediate stepping-stone on the way to the NBA.

My advise is to apply in the earliest round possible PROVIDED you don't compromise the quality of your application.

For more on this topic, please see:

MBA Admission: The Great Round 1/Round 2 Fight
What's the rush? Round 1 v. Round 2 for MBA applicants

Best,
Linda

Dear Linda,

Thank you for your reply and wise advice. I will figure out for my career goal back-ups.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: International School of Business and Media,Pune - Class of 2007
GMAT Date: 08-09-2014
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
hi

i am 30 yrs old with 6.5yrs of brand management experience. i earlier worked for GenMills and currently i am a global assistant brand manager working for Unilever India. my short term goal is to further pursue a career in brand management and i aspire for an international experience and would like to continue working for a consumer goods company. my long term goal is to get into strategy and move into brand/marketing consultancy.

i am a post grad in advertising and marketing.

my academics aren't my strength and in my first attempt i scored a 560 in GMAT. i am currently preparing for

Which colleges should i consider for application.

thx.
Send PM
Expert Reply
udsarkar wrote:
hi

i am 30 yrs old with 6.5yrs of brand management experience. i earlier worked for GenMills and currently i am a global assistant brand manager working for Unilever India. my short term goal is to further pursue a career in brand management and i aspire for an international experience and would like to continue working for a consumer goods company. my long term goal is to get into strategy and move into brand/marketing consultancy.

i am a post grad in advertising and marketing.

my academics aren't my strength and in my first attempt i scored a 560 in GMAT. i am currently preparing for

Which colleges should i consider for application.

thx.

udsarkar,

I can tell you that your work experience is strong, but you are going to need to significantly raise your GMAT if you want to compensate for weak undergrad grades and get into a top 30 program. Why don't you post again after retaking the GMAT and then also indicate what your grade percentage was and your new GMAT score is? Frankly, I am not familiar with the programs that would be strong in brand management and marketing and where you would also be competitive if your grades and GMAT are low.

Best,
Linda Abraham
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I want to ask about MBA programs targeted to Health Care. Are there any prominent programs?
Would I be eligible for such a program?

My profile: 24 years old, Master of Pharmacy (7.14 /10), GMAT 710 (Q49, V38), 1 year work experience in a hospital and a local drug store, 6 months voluntary work as a pharmacist in Doctors of the world, 9 months pharmacist in the army.
I am going to apply for a MSc in Health Economics first and afterwords, in 3-4 years from now, after having added 1-2 years additional work experience in a health economics company, apply for an MBA program.

Thank you in advance
Send PM
Expert Reply
gn1991 wrote:
I want to ask about MBA programs targeted to Health Care. Are there any prominent programs?
Would I be eligible for such a program?

My profile: 24 years old, Master of Pharmacy (7.14 /10), GMAT 710 (Q49, V38), 1 year work experience in a hospital and a local drug store, 6 months voluntary work as a pharmacist in Doctors of the world, 9 months pharmacist in the army.
I am going to apply for a MSc in Health Economics first and afterwords, in 3-4 years from now, after having added 1-2 years additional work experience in a health economics company, apply for an MBA program.

Thank you in advance

Yes there are such programs and you would be eligible, although your work experience is on the low side. Programs to consider: Wharton's MBA with specialty in Healthcare Management(listen to podcast interview with director by clicking on link). Also look into Duke Fuqua, Cornell Johnson, and Haas.

While a little more work experience probably would improve your chances I'm not sure your MS will do much unless your undergrad grades are poor and you want to create an alternative transcript.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Linda thank you for the information. The link was really valuable.
I want to ask one more question. Are there any decent MBAs, with specialization in Health Care Management, in Europe??

Thank you in advance,
Georgios
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3