Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Board of Directors
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
hailmary620 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:
Round 3 applicants? Bueller? Bueller?

I am applying. Maybe @aerien can share his "secret" with us, and we all can join him at SOM.

@aerien: Any idea what the yield is looking like for SOM this year? Just trying to predict the open spots for R3/WL applicants. Can you do one of your insanely complex calculations and give us a number?

Hailmary, you have such faith in me! I have no clue what the yield is looking like for SOM nor how it differs from previous years, but I can attempt some horrible guesstimation if you want to see it
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Nobody asked my opinion, but that has never stopped me before! From what I've seen, Yale has done a GREAT job winning over cross-admits from the likes of Duke, Darden, Ross, and even Kellogg (in the case of machichi), so I'd expect yield to be quite good this year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
As always this forum has been great in delinating essays. Friends, any advices for the following essay... should i chose 2-4 traits and back them with examples or something else. what you guys did ?

The Yale School of Management provides a leadership education characterized by broad-minded and intellectually curious students with diverse backgrounds, a distinctive integrated curriculum, connections to one of the great research universities in the world, and the broad reach of an innovative and expanding global network of top business schools. What will you contribute to the Yale SOM community, and how will being part of it help you extend your professional vision?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
vikram4689 wrote:
As always this forum has been great in delinating essays. Friends, any advices for the following essay... should i chose 2-4 traits and back them with examples or something else. what you guys did ?

The Yale School of Management provides a leadership education characterized by broad-minded and intellectually curious students with diverse backgrounds, a distinctive integrated curriculum, connections to one of the great research universities in the world, and the broad reach of an innovative and expanding global network of top business schools. What will you contribute to the Yale SOM community, and how will being part of it help you extend your professional vision?

This is the 'what activities do you want to be involved in' section of your 'Why MBA/Why School X' essay. You have to show them that you can clearly articulate your goals and what activities you would be involved in while at SOM to enhance your career but would also improve SOM.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
urarunner2 wrote:
vikram4689 wrote:

This is the 'what activities do you want to be involved in' section of your 'Why MBA/Why School X' essay. You have to show them that you can clearly articulate your goals and what activities you would be involved in while at SOM to enhance your career but would also improve SOM.

Hope this helps.

I agree but along with "what activities" its important to state why would you pick the activities you like. What would you gain from joining a particular club or group and how would that help ur career goals and also how you can contribute to other clubs/class.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
i am struggling with "what can i contribute" part. should i be highlight more diversified activities OR activities that go along the lines of my post-mba goal. also any example on how should i articulate, i don't want to sound boastful
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I am applying. Maybe @aerien can share his "secret" with us, and we all can join him at SOM.

@aerien: Any idea what the yield is looking like for SOM this year? Just trying to predict the open spots for R3/WL applicants. Can you do one of your insanely complex calculations and give us a number?

Hailmary, you have such faith in me! I have no clue what the yield is looking like for SOM nor how it differs from previous years, but I can attempt some horrible guesstimation if you want to see it

Same # of 1st and 2nd round applicants on this site. Not scientific, but probably some indication that 2nd round apps weren't up same % as 1st round.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:

I would love to see this "horrible guesstimation" :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
how about following one, isn't it boastful.

"One of my strengths is my event planning expertise; in my current role as Event Planner at Firm A, I have managed all of the logistics of 20 international conferences. I will teach these skills to classmates by organizing conferences/events at school"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
aerien wrote:

Ok horrible guesstimation time! I'm a little hesitant to do this since it inevitably backfires, but here goes. If you choose to read this post, realize this is all in good fun. Numbers are taken out of thin air and are in no way tied to adcom data or any actual data for that matter. Read and/or believe everything posted here at your own risk. YMMV.

Last year we know SOM had 2,823 applications resulting in a 19% acceptance rate (536 admits) and a yield of 46% (249 people in the class of 2014).

Knowing that SOM wants to increase their class size, I'll guess 2015 will have
275 people max and might be more like 260-265 when all is said and done.

Now we've also heard that R1 saw an increase in apps from last year but we don't know by how much. I'll assume 10% since that seems reasonable to me with the increase in class size, so we'll guess SOM sees 3000-ish apps this year. We also know that last year's yield of 46% was a pretty good jump from years past (an increase of 4 percentage points I think) so we might not expect the yield to raise that much more..maybe to 47 or 48%...if it breaks 50% I think someone in adcom would through a party and then set up tents outside as classrooms (if you've been to campus, you know classrooms are pretty packed right now pre-dating new building opening in January 2014). I'd wait for class of 2016 for the yield to really jump again.

Now to more guesstimated numbers. I'm thinking R1, 2, 3 is split 40%, 50%, 10% for apps. Why is R3 so small? The timeline this year has a one month turn around between app deadline and results. That's not much time for review and interviews! So with that, based on my pick of 3k apps this year, I'm looking at about 1200/1500/300 applications per round. Based on numbers of people in the fb group (minus adcom, current students, cgsm admits that I'll put with R2 admits, and some people who are going elsewhere) I'd guess there's 100-110 people all in, deposit sent, matriculating. Going by that same proportion, I'd guess adcom is looking to fill 130-140 spots in R2 and about 30 in R3/WL (caveat: I feel like adcom would maintain they don't have caps per round, they just accept people and the class size works itself out). Based on a yield between 45 and 50% then you're looking at 285ish admits (including cgsm) in R2 and 55-60ish in R3 and off the WL.

Hope this sort of helps. Again this is completely speculation. I'm not connected with adcom in any way nor do I know any exact numbers from this year. This is solely based on trends from past years regarding class size, yield, and number of apps as well as the completely non scientific assessment of fb group joiners. Please do not make decisions off this guesstimation and don't complain if I'm completely wrong. Please don't PM me about these back of the envelope calculations or lack thereof. You are free to do your own calculations to occupy yourself for the next week if you're waiting on R2 results or until May/summer if you're waiting on R3 or the WL.

Wow, great job aerien (even if it's just a guesstimation...). This reminds me of one of those case interviews...sure you don't want to consider consulting instead of marketing? :P
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hah! We'll see though I'm sure an actual consultant could do this in a much more detailed way. I'm quite satisfied with my adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing ;) No fancy models here...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
aerien wrote:
Hah! We'll see though I'm sure an actual consultant could do this in a much more detailed way. I'm quite satisfied with my adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing ;) No fancy models here...

Great job @aerien. I think this is probably the most meaningful calculation/post on GmatClub this year. I am very proud of you!

30 in R3/WL sounds like a pretty decent number to me. My guess was somewhere around 10-15 apps. Now let's hope that adcom doesn't admit anyone in round 2 who has a similar profile as me. I know none of the round 1 admits do. By the way, I just saw the video of the new building on the SOM website. Have to say, but I am regretting my decision of not applying to Yale in R2.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
back to round 2 stuff.. I digged through some old yale som newsletters and they stated that the 3 top reasons candidates are waitlisted are: 1. lack of quantitative preparation, 2. unclear post MBA goals, and 3. low test scores / GPA. I guess what I'm wondering is they interview 30-40% of people but only about half of those interviewed will ultimately get in. Hypothetically speaking if someone with little quant prep received an interview and got waitlisted do you think it's because of that deficiency? It would seem strange the adcom would interview that person if there were concerns going in, but I guess since it is a holistic review they're willing to put the lack of quant prep aside to see what else the candidate has to offer? any opinions?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
hailmary620 wrote:
aerien wrote:

Great job @aerien. I think this is probably the most meaningful calculation/post on GmatClub this year. I am very proud of you!

30 in R3/WL sounds like a pretty decent number to me. My guess was somewhere around 10-15 apps. Now let's hope that adcom doesn't admit anyone in round 2 who has a similar profile as me. I know none of the round 1 admits do. By the way, I just saw the video of the new building on the SOM website. Have to say, but I am regretting my decision of not applying to Yale in R2.

Thanks, hailmary!

It's updated now with interview numbers since people asked for them. Again, if you disagree or if you agree, you are MORE THAN WELCOME to do your own fuzzy calculations for Yale or any other school!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
tokugawa86 wrote:
back to round 2 stuff.. I digged through some old yale som newsletters and they stated that the 3 top reasons candidates are waitlisted are: 1. lack of quantitative preparation, 2. unclear post MBA goals, and 3. low test scores / GPA. I guess what I'm wondering is they interview 30-40% of people but only about half of those interviewed will ultimately get in. Hypothetically speaking if someone with little quant prep received an interview and got waitlisted do you think it's because of that deficiency? It would seem strange the adcom would interview that person if there were concerns going in, but I guess since it is a holistic review they're willing to put the lack of quant prep aside to see what else the candidate has to offer? any opinions?

I feel like for any school if you're invited to interview then adcom thinks you can handle the work from an academic standpoint. That would mean you've passed the transcript check, the GMAT/GRE check, etc. IMO, the interview is a fit assessment and a time for adcom to ask you (via a student interviewer if you interviewed on-campus for SOM) any last questions they had about your application. Being waitlisted is a tough spot to be in -- I think you just have to show your interest in the school and hope that someone with your similar profile doesn't end up matriculating. At some point, there are just too many people for the number of spots they had and if someone else showed more passion for the school during the interview, that could very well be the tie-breaker.

And uhh...my answer to your question then is "no" -- unless you brought something up in the interview that would make them think that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Nonetheless, I bet some interviews leave them wondering if you can handle the work from an academic perspective. For example, if your spoken English is really poor (either as an English language learner or not) they will question your ability to contribute to the case method. Otherwise, I generally agree that the first check is to answer the "can you handle it" question.

I want to add that my guess is that for people on the bubble ("I wonder if they can handle the work?"), the adcom invites them to interview because the committee is willing to admit exceptional candidates with shaky quant skills. The question they are inadvertently asking is, "Are they worth it?" So by no means have you proven your complete academic chops in all cases. They are looking for a reason to admit you and hopefully the interview helps create that reason!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
Good point, machichi! Numbers-aside, you could be a great applicant and show all the nebulous qualities SOM is looking for in a student. If you're that person, then in the interview you have to show them that you are worth potentially lowering their GPA/GMAT average in order to admit you. It seems kind of harsh, but numbers are numbers and they do affect rankings, perceptions, etc. Again, you have to SHOW that you're worth it, not just look good on paper.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  46   47   48   49   50   51   52  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts