Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
I should be able to make it to the 1st Admit Week end! See you there!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I'll be at the admit weekend. Plan on arriving in Chicago Thursday night.
Where are y'all staying?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q50  V38
Send PM
AC wrote:
Where are y'all staying?

I plan on arriving Thurs night as well. I am planning on staying at the Hotel Allegro in downtown for Fri/Sat night (need to set reservations for that though) and Thurs night, no idea yet
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
AC wrote:
Where are y'all staying?

I plan on arriving Thurs night as well. I am planning on staying at the Hotel Allegro in downtown for Fri/Sat night (need to set reservations for that though) and Thurs night, no idea yet

Ballin'
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
MeddlingKid wrote:
Is there any difference between the March and April admit weekends? My parents are flying into town that first weekend in March.

If u r definitely matriculating at Booth, then no difference. People who are considering Booth should go the first weekend because R1 deposit #1 is due mid-March.
Current Student
Send PM
It is actually one week after the admit week-end. I think that's not much time to make a decision. And it is also weeks before most R2 decisions come in.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
falibay wrote:
It is actually one week after the admit week-end. I think that's not much time to make a decision. And it is also weeks before most R2 decisions come in.

To be fair, it's only 1000 bucks. Not 6k like some schools.
Current Student
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
falibay wrote:

To be fair, it's only 1000 bucks. Not 6k like some schools.

True, but I have just heard of Columbia charging 6K for the ED applicants. How much is it for other schools?

Is it common for people to make the deposit and then walk away? I can definitely see that in certain cases.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Kellogg is $1500 and I am going to pay it even though I want to consider my R2 options (if I have any). Kellogg deposit is due on 4/1 and I get my R2 decisions on 3/25 and 4/2...that's just me though.
Current Student
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
Kellogg is $1500 and I am going to pay it even though I want to consider my R2 options (if I have any). Kellogg deposit is due on 4/1 and I get my R2 decisions on 3/25 and 4/2...that's just me though.

I think that makes sense. The 4/1 deadlines is slightly better, I think.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
I have some (very) random questions. Couldn’t find answers anywhere, so would be great if you have any answers...

1) Say I wanna learn Spanish during my MBA. Are there any ways/classes/groups at Booth for this (or other foreign languages)? How does it work? Do many students learn foreign language during their MBA?

2) Apart from “normal” internship between 1st and 2nd year, is there possibility to have one more internship I manage to find one (e.g. Jun-Jul/Aug “normal” internship, Aug-Sep/Oct or maybe in a winter break another)? Is it doable?

3) What’s your view on pre-MBA internship? Does anybody do it?

4) Housing: do any students live in “dormitories” (i.e. campus housing) that Booth offers? I always thought that this is the best way to bond, but somehow have an impression that everybody rents something independently.

5) Does Booth do any sort of verification (e.g. Wharton does Kroll, Stanford does something over the summer)? Not that I have anything to hide, but just wanna know.

Well, as said - very random questions.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by garbus222 on 08 Jan 2009, 15:15.
Last edited by garbus222 on 08 Jan 2009, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
I'll be at the March admit weekend. I'm getting in the night of the 4th till Sunday, but haven't booked a hotel yet.

What are these partner events like? Is my husband going to pull out his hair? Hopefully at least the other wives will be hot so he won't be bored.
:)
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
garbus good question - when do they notify you about the kroll background check? I haven't been able to find anything online about it.
Current Student
Send PM
garbus222 wrote:
I have some (very) random questions. Couldn’t find answers anywhere, so would be great is you have any answers...

1) Say I wanna learn Spanish during my MBA. Are there any ways/classes/groups at Booth for this (or other foreign languages)? How does it work? Do many students learn foreign language during their MBA?

2) Apart from “normal” internship between 1st and 2nd year, is there possibility to have one more internship I manage to find one (e.g. Jun-Jul/Aug “normal” internship, Aug-Sep/Oct or maybe in a winter break another)? Is it doable?

3) What’s your view on pre-MBA internship? Does anybody do it?

4) Housing: do any students live in “dormitories” (i.e. campus housing) that Booth offers? I always thought that this is the best way to bond, but somehow have an impression that everybody rents something independently.

5) Does Booth do any sort of verification (e.g. Wharton does Kroll, Stanford does something over the summer)? Not that I have anything to hide, but just wanna know.

Well, as said - very random questions.

Thanks in advance!

Here is what I know

1) You can take 6 classes outside of the GSB so you can definitly use them for foreign languages.
3) I think that's great to do that; if you can find one in the field of your choice
5) In the admit package, Booth says that the adcom will do a review after you submit the first deposit. I do understand why you are curious, for example, I would want to make sure that all the i are dotted before resigning from work. Do you know what Stanford does during the summer? Why would they wait until the summer?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
falibay wrote:
Do you know what Stanford does during the summer? Why would they wait until the summer?

Don't know. Just recall from the admission blog that they said something about making sure that you give proper reason for leaving a job as it causes a lot of issues later in the summer during the verification (not exact words, but something in this tone). But what exactly - no clue.

And yep - before I quit and leave all the comfy/good life I have for "maybe in the future", I prefer to be sure that at least school is confirmed.

falibay wrote:
You can take 6 classes outside of the GSB so you can definitly use them for foreign languages.

That's good point - thanks. Anybody knows whether indeed there is a Spanish course I can take?

Besides, I was hoping that maybe at Booth there are some organized study groups for students interested in the specific language. At my uni in Europe, school offered language courses for 1/2 the price cause they "utilized" the school's staff and facilities. It was very good.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Economics, Finance, Farm and Ranch Management
 Q49  V44
Send PM
garbus222 wrote:
I have some (very) random questions. Couldn’t find answers anywhere, so would be great if you have any answers...

I believe the classes outside of the GSB have to be from the other professional/graduate programs (Law, Policy, Med, etc), so there's probably not an intro level Spanish course in that realm. You might be able to spend a quarter in Spain through the IBEP, and some of those have the option to do language study concurrently. Depending on what flavor of Spanish you're after, you could live in the Pilsen neighborhood for a real immersion experience.

Those are good questions, by the way. I'll have to think about some of those myself (I'm ok with the background check though!).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wedbud wrote:
I believe the classes outside of the GSB have to be from the other professional/graduate programs (Law, Policy, Med, etc), so there's probably not an intro level Spanish course in that realm. You might be able to spend a quarter in Spain through the IBEP, and some of those have the option to do language study concurrently. Depending on what flavor of Spanish you're after, you could live in the Pilsen neighborhood for a real immersion experience.

Thanks for input. I'm not looking for anything fancy - I just thought that if I have 2 years I could pick up Spanish (business level).

Now, as for housing... by far my preference is to bond with Boothies. Actually, I forgot to put in on my list above, but my key concern re Booth is "loose community" (flex curriculum, "commuting" reputation, no cohorts). I really want my MBA to be as much about education as about friendships for life and fun. So that's why I asked about campus housing - I thought this is great way (albeit, one of many) to bond. If everybody lives "somewhere" but not together, then it only adds to my "loose community" points.

So I'd not chose to immerse myself into Spanish community so deeply if the price for this would be bonding with Boothies.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  25