Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [174]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [19]
Schools:
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [17]
Schools:
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1137 [1]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: 780 ( Q50, V47) - Never too old ! [#permalink]
Kudos
Great debrief. Good luck with your applications!

One problem I've while practicing questions is that I keep thinking that I've to crack the question in less than a minutes and develop a lot of stress killing myself. Further the last time I prepared for the test I prepared a lot without taking adequate breaks. Did you encounter any such situation? How did you handle it?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [9]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Joseph,

Yes, I did encounter this problem during initial stages of my preparation. I used to practice about 40-50 problems daily under timed conditions. I recorded my timing section-wise daily in an excel sheet. Practicing in this manner over a few months made me accustomed to the time stress; my ability to concentrate on the problems improved over time. The time stress was still working at the background, but it was no longer hindering me concentrate on the problem. I suggest that you do not try to eliminate the stress; the stress is required to make your mind work fast; just get accustomed to the stress by practicing a lot of problems, accept it.

Subsequently I started taking full-length tests. A timing strategy started developing in me for the tests: While the time stress was still working for each problem subconsciously, I was not consciously tracking the time after completing each of the problems. I just aimed at completing half the problems at the 37th minute, my first milestone; If I found myself lagging at this milestone, I would start guessing every second problem, NOT consecutive ones, till I catch up with 2 minutes per problem time frame. My next milestone used to be 20 minutes-10 problem milestone. I would start guessing every second problem again if I found myself lagging at this point. The 3rd and final milestone was 10minutes -5 problem point; from there onwards (for the final 10 minutes) I used to track time consciously till the end of the section.

As for 'not taking breaks during preparation', I would compare exercising the brain with exercising other muscles of the body. Over-exercising over a brief period is perhaps less beneficial than exercising in moderate amount regularly over a long period of time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1137 [0]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
I just aimed at completing half the problems at the 37th minute, my first milestone; If I found myself lagging at this milestone, I would start guessing every second problem, NOT consecutive ones, till I catch up with 2 minutes per problem time frame. My next milestone used to be 20 minutes-10 problem milestone. I would start guessing every second problem again if I found myself lagging at this point. The 3rd and final milestone was 10minutes -5 problem point; from there onwards (for the final 10 minutes) I used to track time consciously till the end of the section.

I like this strategy. It is very important to not panic and miss too many questions when you are behind time and it is important to spread out the questions you are guessing from the middle to the end of the section! I'll try this! :) Thank you

And yes on the stress part I think I'm taking a little more stress than necessary. I'll have to monitor it. I'm trying the app you suggested. Hope it works for me too! :)

Thanks for your insights!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks for sharing your experience in such detail.Hope it helps me with my GMAT :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT Date: 08-28-2013
Send PM
Hi,
Could you also tell us ,how did you prepare Quant i see u have really good score in quant too.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
rakheegates@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,
Could you also tell us ,how did you prepare Quant i see u have really good score in quant too.

If you let me know your email id, I shall send my error logs, summaries and time logs. I am unable to upload those files here. Hope those files will help.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [6]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is my response to a PM asking for an overall study plan:

Study plan:

1. Manhattan SC and Manhattan FDP, Alg: read all chapters, make your own summary and solve the exercises.

2. a. Manhattan CR, and Manhattan Geom, Number properties: read all chapters, make your own summary and solve the exercises.
2. b. Simultaneously solve the OG13 problems on SC, PS/DS ( FDP, Alg: chapterwise list at the end of Manhattan book) : maintain error log and time log

3. a. Manhattan RC, and Manhattan Word problems: read all chapters, make your own summary and solve the exercises.
3. b. Simultaneously solve the OG13 problems on CR, PS/DS ( Geom, Number properties: chapterwise list at the end of Manhattan book) : maintain error log and time log

4. a. Manhattan AWA and IR : read all chapters, make your own summary and solve the exercises.
4. b. Simultaneously solve the OG13 problems on RC, PS/DS ( word problems: chapterwise list at the end of Manhattan book) : maintain error log and time log

5. a. Take GMATprep test 1 and test 2 ( full-length - do no skip any section)
5. b. Simultaneously solve free 90 questions on GMATprep software

6. a. Solve all the problems in your error log.
6. b. Take Veritas prep 7 tests and Manhattan 6 tests ( 2 tests a week - full-length - do not skip any section)

7. a. Take GMATprep test 3 and test 4 ( full-length - do no skip any section) (exam pack 1)
7. b. Simultaneously solve ~400 questions on GMATprep software (question pack 1).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Thanks for the debrief and congrats for the great score :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Incredible story - definitely never too old to crack GMAT. Such a detailed de-brief thats really helpful.

Would it be possible if I PM you and share my study plan and ask your advise regarding verbal?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Hi Joseph,

Yes, I did encounter this problem during initial stages of my preparation. I used to practice about 40-50 problems daily under timed conditions. I recorded my timing section-wise daily in an excel sheet. Practicing in this manner over a few months made me accustomed to the time stress; my ability to concentrate on the problems improved over time. The time stress was still working at the background, but it was no longer hindering me concentrate on the problem. I suggest that you do not try to eliminate the stress; the stress is required to make your mind work fast; just get accustomed to the stress by practicing a lot of problems, accept it.

Subsequently I started taking full-length tests. A timing strategy started developing in me for the tests: While the time stress was still working for each problem subconsciously, I was not consciously tracking the time after completing each of the problems. I just aimed at completing half the problems at the 37th minute, my first milestone; If I found myself lagging at this milestone, I would start guessing every second problem, NOT consecutive ones, till I catch up with 2 minutes per problem time frame. My next milestone used to be 20 minutes-10 problem milestone. I would start guessing every second problem again if I found myself lagging at this point. The 3rd and final milestone was 10minutes -5 problem point; from there onwards (for the final 10 minutes) I used to track time consciously till the end of the section.

As for 'not taking breaks during preparation', I would compare exercising the brain with exercising other muscles of the body. Over-exercising over a brief period is perhaps less beneficial than exercising in moderate amount regularly over a long period of time.

Hey man, saw that you had a very well-tested strategy for approaching the test and for timing yourself. Amazing job! Wanted to know if you had to guess any questions on the actual test in order to catch up with the time according to your strategy?

This is to know if conscious guessing midway to save time still fetches a 780
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sanghar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Hi Joseph,

Hey man, saw that you had a very well-tested strategy for approaching the test and for timing yourself. Amazing job! Wanted to know if you had to guess any questions on the actual test in order to catch up with the time according to your strategy?

Yes, I did... in fact guessing is a useful tool to save time ...... when one is doing good, really good, the adaptive software throws some untouchable questions - recognising such questions fast (within 5-10 seconds) is a very useful strategy - guess blind and go ahead, don't even attempt to read the answer choices. I had the luck of getting such insane questions towards the end of my self-set time blocks - I was pre-determined to guess and hence took less than 5 seconds to click and move ahead.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
sanghar wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Hi Joseph,

Yes, I did... in fact guessing is a useful tool to save time ...... when one is doing good, really good, the adaptive software throws some untouchable questions - recognising such questions fast (within 5-10 seconds) is a very useful strategy - guess blind and go ahead, don't even attempt to read the answer choices. I had the luck of getting such insane questions towards the end of my self-set time blocks - I was pre-determined to guess and hence took less than 5 seconds to click and move ahead.

Ah thanks for that insight! Another useful piece of info would be how many deliberate guesses would you try to limit yourself to? Both for Quant and for Verbal.
It seems to me that the test's format makes it imperative to have a good guessing strategy and your's seems quite efficient. Also, if I might anticipate, your strategy on verbal was to deliberately guess only on the SC and CR questions? - since RCs might be quicker once you've done the bulk of your reading.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi Sayantan
Thanks for your debrief.
Can we guess any RC passage and still get around 40 in verbal? Can RC passage be experimental too ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Kudos
Well Sayantan
I am 30+ and you cracked it post your 40's.Feeling lot younger and confident now.. 8-) :!:

Regards,
Abhishek Sinha

sayantanc2k wrote:
This is my response to a PM asking for an overall study plan:

Study plan:

1. Manhattan SC and Manhattan FDP, Alg: read all chapters, make your own summary and solve the exercises.

2. a. Manhattan CR, and Manhattan Geom, Number properties: read all chapters, make your own summary and solve the exercises.
2. b. Simultaneously solve the OG13 problems on SC, PS/DS ( FDP, Alg: chapterwise list at the end of Manhattan book) : maintain error log and time log

3. a. Manhattan RC, and Manhattan Word problems: read all chapters, make your own summary and solve the exercises.
3. b. Simultaneously solve the OG13 problems on CR, PS/DS ( Geom, Number properties: chapterwise list at the end of Manhattan book) : maintain error log and time log

4. a. Manhattan AWA and IR : read all chapters, make your own summary and solve the exercises.
4. b. Simultaneously solve the OG13 problems on RC, PS/DS ( word problems: chapterwise list at the end of Manhattan book) : maintain error log and time log

5. a. Take GMATprep test 1 and test 2 ( full-length - do no skip any section)
5. b. Simultaneously solve free 90 questions on GMATprep software

6. a. Solve all the problems in your error log.
6. b. Take Veritas prep 7 tests and Manhattan 6 tests ( 2 tests a week - full-length - do not skip any section)

7. a. Take GMATprep test 3 and test 4 ( full-length - do no skip any section) (exam pack 1)
7. b. Simultaneously solve ~400 questions on GMATprep software (question pack 1).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I turned 41 today and take this as a positive sign.

Thank You for inspiring me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Many happy returns of the day :)

sk2016 wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
Many Happy returns of the day.....

:-D

sk2016 wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts