Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 14:57 It is currently 12 May 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [4]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623230 [0]
Given Kudos: 81833
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 623230 [1]
Given Kudos: 81833
Send PM
Re: A circular lawn with a radius of 5 meters is surrounded by a circular [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
josemnz83 wrote:
Thanks Bunuel. I have each of the Manhattan guides so I had seen the figure before. I did not post it because I did not want to violate posting rules. Anyway even after looking at the figure I cannot understand why the radius of the walkway is not 2. Radius is half of the diameter. The problem says that the walkway is 4 meters wide. Is 4 meters not the diameter? Or is the radius 4 because the walkway is not really a "full circle" but more like a semicircle of sorts?

Thanks!

Bunuel wrote:
josemnz83 wrote:
A circular lawn with a radius of 5 meters is surrounded by a circular walkway that is 4 meters wide. What is the area of the walkway?

To figure out the area of the walkway I found the difference between of the larger circle (circular lawn + circular walkway). To find the radius of the bigger circle I added the diameter of both the circular walkway and the circular lawn and divided by 2. (10+4)/2. I found the radius of the circle to be 7. So area of the bigger circle would be (7)squared times pi.

The Manhattan guide explains that the area of the bigger circle is 9(squared) times pie. Why is the radius of the bigger circle 9? I understand that the radius of the smaller circle is 5 but wouldn't the radius of the circular walkway be 2 since the entire walkway is 4 meters wide?

Please help!

Jose

There is a figure attached to the original question. See below:
Attachment:
The attachment Circle.png is no longer available
A circular lawn with a radius of 5 meters is surrounded by a circular walkway that is 4 meters wide (see figure). What is the area of the walkway?

Hope it heps.

Attachment:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 6.82 KiB | Viewed 14531 times ]

Circular lawn = green area;
Walkaway = yellow area.

Does this make sense?
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: A circular lawn with a radius of 5 meters is surrounded by a circular [#permalink]
josemnz83 wrote:

A circular lawn with a radius of 5 meters is surrounded by a circular walkway that is 4 meters wide. What is the area of the walkway?

To figure out the area of the walkway I found the difference between of the larger circle (circular lawn + circular walkway). To find the radius of the bigger circle I added the diameter of both the circular walkway and the circular lawn and divided by 2. (10+4)/2. I found the radius of the circle to be 7. So area of the bigger circle would be (7)squared times pi.

The Manhattan guide explains that the area of the bigger circle is 9(squared) times pie. Why is the radius of the bigger circle 9? I understand that the radius of the smaller circle is 5 but wouldn't the radius of the circular walkway be 2 since the entire walkway is 4 meters wide?

Please help!

Jose

Area of smaller circle = 5pie

Now how would you calculate area of walkway= Area of smaller circle- area of bigger circle(includes walkway)
= 5- (5+4) = 5-9= 4
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the help! I feel really dumb right now. lol

What I failed to recognize is that the 4 was indicating half of the walkway outside of the circular lawn. The diameter of the whole circle was 18 (10 for the lawn + 4 for one "side" of the walkway" + 4 for other side). Radius then would be 9 pi. The rest I did not have trouble with.

Thanks so much for the prompt replies!

prateekbhatt wrote:
josemnz83 wrote:

Please help!

Jose

Area of smaller circle = 5pie

Now how would you calculate area of walkway= Area of smaller circle- area of bigger circle(includes walkway)
= 5- (5+4) = 5-9= 4
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7226 [2]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Radius of larger circle (Walk area inclusive) = 5 +4 =9
Area = Pie (9) ^2 = 81pie......................... (1)

Radius of smaller circle = 5
Area = Pie (5) ^2 = 25pie.......................... (2)

Area of walkway = (1) - (2) = 56pie
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
\(pi(R^2-r^2)\).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Strategy, Real Estate
Schools: Johnson '21
Send PM
Area of the smaller circle = πr^2 = π x5^2 = 25π
Area of the larger circle = πr^2 = π x 9^2 = 81π
Difference(Area of the walkway) = 81π - 25π = 56π

Hence B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

We're told that a circular lawn with a radius of 5 meters is surrounded by a circular walkway that is 4 meters wide. We're asked for the area of the walkway. This is an example of a 'punch out' question - we need to find the area of the ENTIRE shape and then 'punch out' the part that we don't want.

The radius of the ENTIRE circle is (5+4) = 9, so the area of the large circle is (R^2)π = (9^2)π = 81π
The radius of the lawn is 5, so the area of the small circle is (R^2)π = (5^2)π = 25π

The area of the walkway is the total area - the area of the law... 81π - 25π = 56π

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 828 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93184 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts