Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
According to the National Science Foundation, in 2003 there were [#permalink]
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Brian123 wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY - between B and C, how do you eliminate.

a) Do you eliminate based on the split - Double vs Twice ? If so, how

jabhatta2. Option B is wrong because it compares the number of graduates to a year (1981), and this comparison does not make sense. Hope this helps! :)

Correct!
One way to spot this error is to observe the lack of parallelism between the first part of the comparison and the second.
B: In 2003 there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, twice as many as 1981.
Whereas the blue portion includes a preposition -- in -- the red portion does not.
As a result:
blue portion = MODIFIER
red portion = NOUN
The two portions serve different functions and thus are not parallel.
Eliminate B.

Correct:
In 2003 there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, twice as many as IN 1981.
Here, the two colored portions are parallel.

Hi GMATGuruNY - actually the OA is C in which there is no such perfect parallelism between the prepositions [In 2003 and In 1981] as you have noted above in the yellow highlight marked as "Correct"

OA C has this parralelism instead
In 2003 there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, double the figure FOR 1981.

I rejected C because option D seemed to be "PERFECTLY parallel"

In C as you can see - "In 2003" and "For 1981" are maybe prepositions -- they are not perfectly parallel prepositions as seen in option D.

How would you eliminate option D and keep C (Option D does have perfect parallelism).

I see that option D has a pronoun issue but i thought pronoun ambiguity is not 100 % cut and dry topic on the GMAT. It can be reasonably said the "IT" in option D refers to the "number" because the other antencedent (percentage) is within a non essential clause. Essential clauses can be dropped and the essential meaning of the sentence still has to make sense.

Parallelism certainly is weighed more heavily and D has 100 % perfect parallelism
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi IanStewart - Two quick questions on D -

# 1) i didnt think there was pronoun ambiguity in option D because of the usage of the singular verb - "Was"

Below are the 2 possible antencedents for "It was in 1981"
- 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students- plural noun because of the students
- 42% of the graduate students- plural noun because of the students

Both of these antecedents are plural

So i thought -- hmm, given the antecedents are plural -- how can double what it was in 1981 refer to any of these plural antecedents given the verb was is "singular"

Then I said -- well maybe the "IT" is a dummy pronoun and this "IT" refers to nothing - which is definitely acceptabe on the GMAT

Thus in terms of pronoun ambiguity in option D - there is none because the "IT" is referring to nothing (i.e. the "IT" is a dummy pronoun)

Thus i cannot eliminate D because of pronoun ambigity because the "IT" is a dummy pronoun, not referring to anything

Thoughts on where I maybe thinking wrong ?

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 07 Dec 2021, 10:39.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 07 Dec 2021, 10:56, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
IanStewart - Isnt the OA : C wrong because of the meaning "For" - the usage of "For" clearly is not correct in the context of comparisons in option C

Do we really say something like this for example ?

option C analogy) In 2000 I owned 10 cars, double the number of cars for 2021

'For 2021' in my view cannot be used because 'for 2021' gives the impression I have 5 cars "For 2021" - almost like "for 2021" is a person for whom I have 5 cars.

To avoid this ambiguity

I think, one would instead say

option C analogy) In 2000 I owned 10 cars, double the number of cars for in 2021
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Send PM
Re: According to the National Science Foundation, in 2003 there were [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
OA C has this parralelism instead
In 2003 there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, double the figure FOR 1981.

I rejected C because option D seemed to be "PERFECTLY parallel"

In C as you can see - "In 2003" and "For 1981" are maybe prepositions -- they are not perfectly parallel prepositions as seen in option D.

How would you eliminate option D and keep C (Option D does have perfect parallelism).

I see that option D has a pronoun issue but i thought pronoun ambiguity is not 100 % cut and dry topic on the GMAT. It can be reasonably said the "IT" in option D refers to the "number" because the other antencedent (percentage) is within a non essential clause. Essential clauses can be dropped and the essential meaning of the sentence still has to make sense.

Parallelism certainly is weighed more heavily and D has 100 % perfect parallelism

The referent for a pronoun must appear within the sentence itself.
In 2003 there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, almost 42% of the graduate students in those fields, double what it was in 1981.
Here, number does not appear in the sentence and thus cannot serve as a referent for it.
Option D lacks an eligible singular referent for it.
As a result, the sentence does not convey a clear meaning.
Eliminate D.

1n 1980, ten thousand students competed, twice as many as in 1970.
Implied comparison:
1n 1980, ten thousand students competed, twice as many as [competed] in 1970.
Here, the verb in brackets is omitted but implied.
As a result, the two prepositional phrases in green have the SAME FUNCTION: each is an ADVERB serving to modify competed.
Since the sentence is comparing how students competed IN 1980 to how students competed IN 1970, it is not possible to omit the usage of IN before 1970.

OA: In 2003 there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, almost 42% of the graduate students in those fields, double the figure for 1981.
Here, no verb is implied within the green portion.
Whereas in 2003 is an ADVERB modifying were, for 1981 is an ADJECTIVE modifying the figure.
Since the two prepositional phrases have DIFFERENT FUNCTIONS, there is no need for parallelism.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Send PM
Re: According to the National Science Foundation, in 2003 there were [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
So i thought -- hmm, given the antecedents are plural -- how can double what it was in 1981 refer to any of these plural antecedents given the verb was is "singular"

Then I said -- well maybe the "IT" is a dummy pronoun and this "IT" refers to nothing - which is definitely acceptabe on the GMAT

Thus in terms of pronoun ambiguity in option D - there is none because the "IT" is referring to nothing (i.e. the "IT" is a dummy pronoun)

Thus i cannot eliminate D because of pronoun ambigity because the "IT" is a dummy pronoun, not referring to anything

Thoughts on where I maybe thinking wrong ?

Even when it serves on the GMAT as an EXPLETIVE -- or in your words, as a "dummy pronoun" -- the referent for it must be crystal clear.

Official examples:

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers.
Here, the referent for it is the following that-clause.
Conveyed meaning:
That it moved into the first rank of American newspapers was only after Katharine Graham became publisher.

It was under her command that the paper won high praise.
Conveyed meaning:
That the paper won high praise was under her command.

It is unclear whether chimpanzees are unique among nonhuman species, or whether other animals would exhibit similar patterns if they were studied in as much depth.
Here, the referent for it is the following whether-construction.
Conveyed meaning:
Whether chimpanzees are unique among human species, or whether other animals would exhibit similar patterns, is unclear.

It is possible that, like the Volkswagen, whose unchanging exterior over decades concealed many changes in its internal machinery, many prehistoric microbes evolved without significant modification of their sheaths.

Conveyed meaning:
That many prehistoric microbes evolved without significant modification is possible.

As mentioned in my earlier post, option D does not provide en eligible referent for it.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9245 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Isnt the OA : C wrong because of the meaning "For" - the usage of "For" clearly is not correct in the context of comparisons in option C

'For 2021' in my view cannot be used because 'for 2021' gives the impression I have 5 cars "For 2021" - almost like "for 2021" is a person for whom I have 5 cars.

As AjiteshArun points above, the question is essentially copied from an official one, so the OA really must be right (though the official question is less awkward and is better written).

I've honestly never thought about this until just now, and maybe someone else has and can give you a more precise answer, but it's true that preposition choices often boil down to idiom. It seems to me that when it comes specifically to figures, statistics and other data compiled annually, it is common to use "for" in the way this sentence does. "The employment figures for 2020 were encouraging," for example, is a perfectly good sentence, and "for" is more idiomatic here than any other preposition, though "in" would be fine too. "Can you get me the corporate report for 1983" is another perfectly good sentence, and here "in" is clearly unacceptable (then the sentence would be asking the person to deliver the report some time in 1983, which makes no sense), and "from 1983" would probably be fine too, but would potentially convey a slightly different meaning. If we talk about the "report from 1983", that means the report itself was from 1983 (but might talk about 1977 for all we know). If we talk about the report "for 1983", that means the report covers the year 1983 (but might have been written in 1985 say), which is what this sentence I invented presumably intends.

When you change the annual figure in the original sentence to a number of cars someone owns, then we're no longer talking about data compiled annually, and in your sentence the preposition "for" would definitely be wrong. The cars aren't a statistic or report or piece of data covering a year, which is what the "for" conveys; they're just cars.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
IanStewart - Isnt the OA : C wrong because of the meaning "For" - the usage of "For" clearly is not correct in the context of comparisons in option C

To avoid this ambiguity

I think, one would instead say

option C analogy) In 2000 I owned 10 cars, double the number of cars for in 2021

Hello jabhatta2,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can help resolve your doubt.

As IanStewart has written, the use of prepositions in such cases often comes down to idiomatic rules. The use of "for" is incorrect in your sentence because it refers to the "cars", which cannot logically be "for" a period of time. However, the use of "for" is correct in the given question, as Option C refers to "the figure", which can be "for" a period of time, conveying that the figure is information that pertains to that time period.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
KevinRocci wrote:
Howdy all, :)

I think that @NYCAnalyst did a nice job of clearly explaining the answer choices, so I don't want to spend a lot of time analyzing them. I'd like to talk about a specific aspect of this question. In this sentence, what is the roll of "double?"

Let's start by looking at the correct answer in the sentence:

ColumbiaDream wrote:
According to the National Science Foundation, in 2003 there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, almost 42% of the graduate students in those fields, double the figure for 1981.

So in this sentence, it's important to realize that "double" is not modifying anything. It is not an adjective. In this sentence, it is a predeterminer. To learn more about pre-determiners, you can start here, and then read the Wiki article on Combinations of Determiner. You can see here that "double" can function as a predeterminer in its definition.

We could re-write the sentence by removing the modifying phrases and simplifying some of the language to make this clear:

Quote:
In 2003, there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, double the figure for 1981.

So in this case, "double" is a predeterminer for "figure" which refers back to the 198,113 students. So what it really means is that the figure from 2003 is twice the number from 1981; it's twice as much. This is one of the reasons that (C) is the best choice. It is the most concise expression of "twice as much as the figure."

I hope that this helps everyone understand this question a little bit more. It's a tough one! :)

Hi GMATNinja KevinRocci - Does it mean that figure cannot refer back to percentage. My confusion is why "it" is ambiguous and "figure" is not . Many thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Hello expert,
I was confused which one “figure” refers to? 198,113 or 42%?
Is it ambitious? Need your views. Much thanks.
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mavisdu1017 wrote:
Hello expert,
I was confused which one “figure” refers to? 198,113 or 42%?
Is it ambitious? Need your views. Much thanks.

Hello Mavisdu1017,

To answer your query, here, "198,113" and "42%" both actually refer to the same thing; "almost 42% of the graduate students in those fields" is a modifier acting on "198,113 female science and engineering graduate students".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.95
WE:Real Estate (Consulting)
Send PM
I have gone through the post and understood the solution well. Had a couple of doubts
1. Is there any difference in the usage of "double" vs "twice"
2. For option C shouldn't it be double the figure "of" (not for) 1981??
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rickooreo wrote:
I have gone through the post and understood the solution well. Had a couple of doubts
1. Is there any difference in the usage of "double" vs "twice"
2. For option C shouldn't it be double the figure "of" (not for) 1981??

Hello Rickooreo,

To answer your queries,

1. No; there is no difference in the usage of "double" and "twice" in this case.

2. Both "of" and "for" are idiomatically acceptable prepositions in this context.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
Is it okay to eliminate first two options because twice is an adverb, so it cannot be used for modifying a noun?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
GMATNinja

Sir if I had written option E in the following way,would it be right then?

" a number doubling the figure of 1981’s"

Good question. This wouldn't actually be correct, mostly because it's redundant. "The figure of" already indicates a possessive, so you definitely wouldn't need 1981 (or 1981's, in this case) to be possessive, too.

A similar issue is mentioned in GMATNinjaTwo's post on page 2 of this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/because-of-t ... 53061.html

Hey GMATNinja

1) why wouldn't just 1981 be needed in that case?
2) if what you've written in brackets is correct (and I myself believe it is), why do we use "a friend of mine" or "a fan of yours"? Getting confused here...don't these constructions have the same problem of redundancy (both of and possessive)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
zeus_bull wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
GMATNinja

Sir if I had written option E in the following way,would it be right then?

" a number doubling the figure of 1981’s"

Good question. This wouldn't actually be correct, mostly because it's redundant. "The figure of" already indicates a possessive, so you definitely wouldn't need 1981 (or 1981's, in this case) to be possessive, too.

A similar issue is mentioned in GMATNinjaTwo's post on page 2 of this thread: https://gmatclub.com/forum/because-of-t ... 53061.html

Hey GMATNinja

why wouldn't just 1981 be needed in that case?

if what you've written in brackets is correct (and I myself believe it is), why do we use "a friend of mine" or "a fan of yours"? Getting confused here...don't these constructions have the same problem of redundancy (both of and possessive)

Yeah, something like "a friend of Tim's" is one of those exceptions that's become acceptable because it's so commonly used in everyday speech. You're extremely unlikely to encounter something like that on the GMAT, though.

As explained in this post, something like "the Sun has the same apparent size in the sky as the Moon's" is problematic because it makes the meaning unclear. Does the Sun have the same apparent size as the Moon's size? Or does the Sun have the same apparent size as the Moon itself?

The latter makes more sense, since the Moon's size doesn't have a size. The Moon itself has a size. But the possessive suggests the former interpretation, and that's confusing at best, illogical at worst.

Remember, GMAT SC isn't about compiling a list of ironclad grammar rules that you can mindlessly apply to future questions -- it's about comparing the five options in front of you and picking the one that creates the clearest sentence.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
Send PM
Hi. I was confused between C and E .

Read E as - a number double that of 1981's "number"

Why is this wrong?

ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
ColumbiaDream wrote:
According to the National Science Foundation, in 2003 there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, almost 42% of the graduate students in those fields, twice as much as 1981.

(A) twice as much as 1981

(B) twice as many as 1981

(C) double the figure for 1981

(D) double what it was in 1981

(E) a number double that of 1981’s

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that in 2003, there were 198,113 female science and engineering graduate students, and this number is double the figure for 1981.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Pronouns + Comparison + Idioms

• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "198,113 female science and engineering graduate students" to "1981"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, Option A incorrectly uses "much" to refer to the countable noun phrase "198,113...students"; for a noun such as "students", the correct term is "many".

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares "198,113 female science and engineering graduate students" to "1981"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

C: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "the figure for 1981", conveying the intended meaning - that 198,113 is twice the number of female science and engineering graduate students for 1981. Further, Option C correctly compares "198,113" with "the figure for 1981". Additionally, Option C avoids the pronoun error in Option D, as it uses no pronouns. Moreover, Option C avoids the idiom error in Option A, as it does not use the term "much".

D: This answer choice suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "it" lacks a clear and logical referent.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "that of 1981’s"; the use of the possessive noun "1981’s" illogically implies that 198,113 is twice the number of 1981's number of female science and engineering graduate students; the intended meaning is that 198,113 is twice the number of female science and engineering graduate students for 1981.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
hey, can someone please explain thy the use of "for" is good in option C ?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts