Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 20:56 It is currently 06 May 2024, 20:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32318 [1]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32318 [1]
Given Kudos: 301
Send PM
Re: Advice needed to improve beyond 660 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Balajikarthick1990 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Hi

My target score is 700 minimum.

I have been studying for past 6 months with OG12,OG16, Manhattan and Gmat club.

My last 3 mock scores : (last week - 1 mock , this week - 2 mocks)

Manhattan 1 - 670 (q45 v36)---IR1

Gmat Prep 1 - 660 (q49 v31)----ESR-----for verbal alone -----CR35 , SC35, RC25 .... IR6

Gmat Prep 3 (EP1 purchased) - 660 (q49 v31) -----for verbal alone CR39 RC30 SC25 ....IR8

The exams were taken under exam type settings with AWA, IR and 8 minute breaks.

My exam is on May 31st...Need to break 700 barrier. Help and advice required.

Thanks

Hi,
the way one sees your score and the conditions you gave these mocks in and if they are the true reflector of your abilities, you in th epresent state too may still hit that 700..
But if there is something standing between higher Probability and you, it is clearly VERBAL...
and you require to concentrate on all three subsections.
you should review the verbals right from beginning..
Pick up good books in SC and practice more and more Qs on RC and CR. Ofcourse maintain this momentum in Quant by working on quant once in a while
Good luck.. 20 days are enough to be sure of 700 from the area you are in..

Hi sir

Thanks for your advice. In case I am not able to improve, I would PM you.

I would be needing your help desperately.

Thanks
Balaji

Sure Balaji, You can PM me or also use this thread for any clarifications....
I'll surely help you when ever time permits.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11674 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Balajikarthick1990,

Your CAT scores are closer to 700 than you probably think they are, but you're making a few too many little mistakes in the Verbal section - and those mistakes are costing you the points that you're looking for.

With a May 31st Test Date, you have about 3 weeks of study time remaining, which is plenty. As you continue to study, you should take no more than 1 FULL CAT per week (taking 2 or more per week will provide NO benefit).

1) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical SC, RC or CR prompt?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Balajikarthick1990,

Your CAT scores are closer to 700 than you probably think they are, but you're making a few too many little mistakes in the Verbal section - and those mistakes are costing you the points that you're looking for.

With a May 31st Test Date, you have about 3 weeks of study time remaining, which is plenty. As you continue to study, you should take no more than 1 FULL CAT per week (taking 2 or more per week will provide NO benefit).

1) What 'steps' do you go through when dealing with a typical SC, RC or CR prompt?

Rich

Hi Rich

As usual thanks. Your comments are really encouraging.

Coming to the steps:

1. SC : Nowadays, I am able to naturally detect the pattern of errors. Ex: Unlike X---immediately my mind is able to tell that this is going to be a comparison questions (3/2 get eliminated). Most of the questions I miss are extremely close. I just go through the meaning and follow POE.

2. CR: I will go through the passage, identify the question type, MAINLY look at the conclusion---prethink for 2 seconds.

ex: Conclusion is "Malaria is caused by mosquitoes and the Q asks for
'Weaken'---I will jot down that Malaria is not caused by mosquitoes alone, environment, alternate reasons and follow POE

3. RC : Going through each passage--Jot down main points---Try to find the connect.

Ex: Para 1 - Author states 2 theories , Para 2 - Compare and contrasts para 3 - However theory 2 is better (supports)

This is the way in which I approach verbal.

I solve 30 SC, 30 CR, 3 RC, 30 Quants problem per day.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: IE (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Balajikarthick1990,

Rich

Hi Rich

Coming to the steps:

1. SC : Nowadays, I am able to naturally detect the pattern of errors. Ex: Unlike X---immediately my mind is able to tell that this is going to be a comparison questions (3/2 get eliminated). Most of the questions I miss are extremely close. I just go through the meaning and follow POE.

2. CR: I will go through the passage, identify the question type, MAINLY look at the conclusion---prethink for 2 seconds.

'Weaken'---I will jot down that Malaria is not caused by mosquitoes alone, environment, alternate reasons and follow POE

3. RC : Going through each passage--Jot down main points---Try to find the connect.

Ex: Para 1 - Author states 2 theories , Para 2 - Compare and contrasts para 3 - However theory 2 is better (supports)

Thanks

I am going to follow you, i am in the same boat. ... how much time do you study. You must be spending around 2 hours on the questions. then how much time for analyzing the mistakes.

Also where do you get so many questions?
and what is your accuracy.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
prabhakar09 wrote:
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Balajikarthick1990,

Rich

Hi Rich

Coming to the steps:

Thanks

I am going to follow you, i am in the same boat. ... how much time do you study. You must be spending around 2 hours on the questions. then how much time for analyzing the mistakes.

Also where do you get so many questions?
and what is your accuracy.

Hi Prabha

Yes it is tedious. That too after a long work schedule. That being said, It takes about 2-3 hrs. (2 in the night and 1 in the morning).

You have the OG and especially HUGE no of questions in Gmat club.

My accuracy hovers around 80%.

Let me know if can go together in cracking the gmat.

Regards
Balaji
GMAT Club Bot