Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [12]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: After the famine that ravaged Somalia at the end of last [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
In terms of ambiguity of the pronoun, it is an accepted custom that logic is ultimate. Let us now see

Quote:
Somalia used the huge sums of money it received from the World Bank after the famine ravaged it at the end of the last century, to get back on the road to recovery.

Let us try replacing the pronoun with the noun it might refer to

Quote:
A. The second it, it can refer to famine or Somalia right?
Is it not ambiguous?

1. after the famine ravaged famine at the end of he last century
2. after the famine ravaged Somalia at the end of he last century
Which is logical? Please ponder.

Quote:
B To me, it looks like the "it" can refer to either Somalia or World Bank. I do not think it refers to famine. Still unclear of how we know whether "famine ravaged Somalia" or "famine ravaged the World Bank"

1. After the famine ravaged Somalia at the end of he last century - looks logical

2. After the famine ravaged World Bank at the end of him last century – If famine hit World Bank, how did it still give Somalia huge sums of money? Secondly, logically we can say a famine hits a country or a region because a famine is characterized by lack of resources such as food, rain, funds etc but it may not hit a society as the World Bank or IMF, which doesn’t need these physical inputs.

Therefore, E rules the roost.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Send PM
Re: Famine that ravaged Somalia [#permalink]
Again from the same online test as my previous post. Give it a try before I post the OA.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3948 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
E

A, B, and C: the pronoun "it" is not clear. Additionally, ¿"use it"?. "It" refers to Somalia. Also, if the sentence wants to refer to the "sums of money", it has to use "them".
D: Changes the meaning. The famine took place at the end of the century.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
this sentence is just between A and E, i would choose E be
( After the famine that ravaged Somalia at the end of last century, [url]it[/url] received huge sums of money from the World Bank, using it to get back on the road to recovery)

look at " it" in A, its not clear. "it" in A is famine or somalia?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q37  V27
Send PM
'it' in "e" is also ambiguous, it could refer to either the world bank or Somalia.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I have a minor doubt.
The second it in E is also ambiguous as it can refer to either Somalia or World Bank
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Somalia used the huge sums of money it received from the World Bank after the famine ravaged it at the end of the last century, to get back on the road to recovery.

green portion of the sentence seems fine, but 'it' in the red portion refers to Samolia or world bank?

to get back on the road to recovery - should not this be next to the Somalia phrase?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Meaning of the original sentence, Somalia used money from world bank to get back on road to recovery after famine ravaged country last year

Correct sentence in given option should start with Somalia. And that is E

A,B,C are all same. It refers to multiple items. It could be world bank/money/somalia

D. At the end of the last century Somalia used the huge sums of money it received from the World Bank after the famine that ravaged it, to get back on the road to recovery.

Above statement says "Somalia used money from WB it rvd at the end of last year after famine ravaged". which is not true with Original sentence.

Famine ravaged Somalia last year, but not money used last year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:

The second it , it can refer to famine or somalia right?
is it not ambigous?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
shankar245 wrote:
Quote:

is it not ambigous?

same question, please anyone clarify
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Runner2 wrote:
shankar245 wrote:
Quote:

is it not ambigous?

same question, please anyone clarify

To me, it looks like the "it" can refer to either Somalia or World Bank. I don't think it refers to famine. But still unclear of how we know whether "famine ravaged Somalia" or "famine ravaged the World Bank"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. I got as far as the logic check, and just didn't carry it out all the way through
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM