Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:26 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619220 [9]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Send PM
Re: Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years were printed [#permalink]
rahulkashyap wrote:
is the ans A? it says insignificant ones will not be saved and hence destroyed

I believe that the last line says that the technique which is being developed will be applied on NEW books with historical significance.
Talking about historical significance, it is, i guess, only limited to the new books. I feel A is incorrect.
Waiting for OA.

Regards,
V
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years were printed [#permalink]
vaibhav1221 wrote:
rahulkashyap wrote:

I believe that the last line says that the technique which is being developed will be applied on NEW books with historical significance.
Talking about historical significance, it is, i guess, only limited to the new books. I feel A is incorrect.
Waiting for OA.

Regards,
V

I don't see where it says its applied only on NEW books. Can you highlight the same?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Send PM
rahulkashyap wrote:
vaibhav1221 wrote:
rahulkashyap wrote:

Waiting for OA.

Regards,
V

I don't see where it says its applied only on NEW books. Can you highlight the same?

Posted from my mobile device

The last line.
I think i was wrong, just realized.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 60
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years were printed [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years were printed on acidic paper. Unfortunately, every kind of acidic paper gradually destroys itself due to its very acidity. This process of deterioration can be slowed if the books are stored in a cool, dry environment. Techniques, which are now being developed, to deacidify books will probably be applied only to books with historical significance.

If all of the statements in the passage above are true, which one of the following must also be true?

(A) If a book was published in the past 150 years and is historically insignificant, it will probably deteriorate completely.

(B) Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years will gradually destroy themselves.

(C) Almost all of the books that gradually deteriorate are made of acidic paper.

(D) If a book is of historical significance and was printed before 150 years ago, it will be deacidified.

(E) Books published on acidic paper in 1900 should now all be at about the same state of deterioration.

Lets go Option wise:
(A) If a book was published in the past 150 years and is historically insignificant, it will probably deteriorate completely. Correct - As the last line states only books with significance will be saved i.e. insignificant books get destroyed

(B) Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years will gradually destroy themselves. Already stated in paragraph

(C) Almost all of the books that gradually deteriorate are made of acidic paper. Not necessary to be true, non acidic paper will also degrade

(D) If a book is of historical significance and was printed before 150 years ago, it will be deacidified. Already stated in paragraph, also irrelevant

(E) Books published on acidic paper in 1900 should now all be at about the same state of deterioration. Irrelevant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Send PM
Why OA is A and not B?Passage says the process of deterioration can be slowed. OA should be B.Kindly explain.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5743 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years were printed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Further explanations here, should you find that you want some more: https://gmatclub.com/forum/almost-all-o ... 62691.html
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I disagree.
The stem says ALMOST ALL. ie NOT ALL.
Option A says if its not significant it will probably deteriorate completely. Though there is probability mentioned The probabilty isalmost negligible.

option C is also not entirely right.

I would like to know the source of the question. NOT AN OFFICIAL that's for sure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
AdityaHongunti wrote:
I disagree.
The stem says ALMOST ALL. ie NOT ALL.
Option A says if its not significant it will probably deteriorate completely. Though there is probability mentioned The probabilty isalmost negligible.

option C is also not entirely right.

I would like to know the source of the question. NOT AN OFFICIAL that's for sure.

This is an official LSAT Question and the Answer is A.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts