Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [4] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

58% (02:23) correct 42% (01:18) wrong based on 56 sessions
Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.

(A) Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968.
(B) Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted.
(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968.
(D) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.
(E) The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [4] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
D

(A) Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it had not been announced until February, 1968. 2 issues - use of had and second "it"

(B) Although not announced until February, 1968, in the summer of 1967 graduate student Jocelyn Bell observed the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted. What was not announced ??

(C) Although observed by graduate student Jocelyn Bell in the summer of 1967, the discovery of the first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, had not been announced before February, 1968. - use of had makes 1968 the event before 1967

(D) The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.

(E) The first sighted pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, was not announced until February, 1968, while it was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell. - what do we want to announce star or discovery of the star , the word discovery is missing and looks like first sighted pulsar was announced

Always tag your question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 14:42
Good question. We can arrive at D by POE . I was confused btwn C and D ..but C i feel is wrong coz it talks about "discovery" when its not clear if a sighting really qualifies as a discovery.

Also in option D " The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968." it would have made more sense if the comma was placed after " to be sighted " but its def the best among all the options
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 09:27
Really good one. Thanks for the post.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 00:13
Hey bakfed
Tough question ! Thanks. Whats the source?

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 05:27
D - Easy sail :-D

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
The answer's D - it's the choice that perfectly captures the chronology of the statement.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 19:07
Between A and D, I picked A.
After reading A, I see why this choice is wrong, specially had.

But, need some help understanding the following about choice D. The choice reads

The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.

To me to be sighted was observed sounds a little weird. How can something to be sighted was observed?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 22:42
swdatta wrote:
Between A and D, I picked A.
After reading A, I see why this choice is wrong, specially had.

But, need some help understanding the following about choice D. The choice reads

The first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted was observed in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, but the discovery was not announced until February, 1968.

To me to be sighted was observed sounds a little weird. How can something to be sighted was observed?

Read the sentence again but this time ignore 'or rapidly spinning collapsed star' i.e. is a middle man.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 06:02
would it be correct to say ...Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed star, to be sighted had been in the summer of 1967 by graduate student Jocelyn Bell, it was not announced until February, 1968.

the ans to above is definitely d. I just twisted the question here to analyse it from a different point of view.

daagh: Please can you verify this sc. Thanks.
(I am looking at two actions that took place in the past so the first one has past perfect and the second has simple past.) please correct me if i am wrong.

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 07:12
C goes out for illogical sequencing. Two actions on the time line - sighting and announcement. It meant sighting was done in 1967 and announced in 1968. But choice C reverses the order - "had been.... announced"

Unless author is mind freak like Chris Angel or has the ability to look into the future - C is not possible !

So the only one left is D.
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 07:20
A - ambiguous "it"
B - wrong comparison / non sensical comparison
C - tense error
D - answer
E - "while" nonsensical. used "while" instead of "but". Plus ambiguous "it"
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1436 [2] , given: 245

Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Step 1. The use of past perfect for the later event is totally illogical and inappropriate and hence A and C are out
Step 2. B suffers from bad modification; after the modifier phrase, “Although not announced until February, 1968”, the modified noun 'the discovery of the first pulsar' should be mentioned. Hence B can be dropped.

To decide between D and E, I feel that the phrase ‘the first sighted pulsar’ as used in E rather changes the original meaning of the text which uses the phrase ‘the first pulsar to be sighted’. To be sighted in the context does not mean yet to be sighted but simply that has been sighted. In addition, the term ‘sighted pulsar’ may in a weird sense mean a pulsar that is blessed with the power of sight.

Second, the term ‘discovery’ is a crucial factor that is conspicuous by its absence in E. IMO, we should also appreciate the chronological sequence maintained in D and therefore D is superior to E.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1436 [0], given: 245

Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2011, 08:51
Expert's post
ajit257
This past perfect and simple past usage has a small twist. Where upon the chronological sequence is made clear by a time marker such as 1967 and 1968 etc, some people feel that it is indeed not necessary to use differential tenses, but both events could be denoted by simple past. This I think is the official thinking of GPREP too, the evidence being the approval of choice D in this case as the OA.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2011, 06:08
a Good and A tough one!

Got the answer though.
D

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: First Pulsar [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 06:38
This is all-is-underlined question and not easy according to gmat. That is why this kind of question is at the end of OG books.

Normally, the answer choices are different by phrase and phrase difference show us the error. When all is underlined, the phrase difference can not help us realize the error and meaning difference among answer choices only can do so.

meaning difference can be the difference in adverb-verb relations, in verb-verb relations, or adverb-adverb relations among answer choices. Pls, do the all-is-underlined questions in the gmatprep to understand what I have said and do this question within 2 minutes. Other questions should be done in 1 minute
VP
VP
Followers: 205

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 20:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1259

CAT Tests
Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed [#permalink] New post 18 May 2014, 05:54
BC have modifier issues
B: "in the summer" cannot be modified by "not announced"
C: "discovery" can't be "observed"
EA: "pulsars" can't be "announced"
Re: Although the first pulsar, or rapidly spinning collapsed   [#permalink] 18 May 2014, 05:54