Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 02:10 It is currently 14 May 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.63
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 2.77
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2595 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up [#permalink]
ShouldhaveappliedR1 wrote:
Please, please think carefully about this decision. There are "lower-ranked" schools that will be better for your future goals. IMO, the school has turned its back on finance in favor of entrepreneurs and employers have taken notice. You will be in a class full of software engineers and you will not learn anything interesting from them relevant to your finance or business interests.

I am not sure from where did you get your data. I am a current student and I am pretty sure that not even 30% are software Engineers. I am current student at Tepper and I guess the batch composition is there for everybody to see.

Coming to Finance :
We are pretty competitive for Finance roles as well. The data for employment are also up. Please do check the number.

Please let me know if you have any further doubts about Tepper.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.48
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up [#permalink]
I don't know where this coming from.

Companies like us because we are strong in math and data analytical skills which of course, very useful in finance roles. Although it's true that we're not core school for finance, but the second years who pursue IB/Corporate Finance roles can get their internship on prestigious places. In fact, our second years converted their internship to full time job for IB roles in banks such as CS, DB, JPM, Morgan Stanley, Jefferies, and BoAML to name a few. For IB roles, no matter where you go for school, you will need dedication and effort to get the job such as go to NY every weekend for the whole 3 months of recruitment to network, meet alumni for coffee chat etc. For corporate finance is a bit easier because of less networking needed for that role.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
I think where he is coming from is the employment report shows only 10 people got investment banking from CMU. There are schools ranked lower than CMU that place more people in IB.

https://tepper.cmu.edu/recruiters-and-co ... cs/finance

It would be interesting to know if the poster, or anyone else, has more first hand knowledge on this issue.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2595 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
gmathopeful25 wrote:
I think where he is coming from is the employment report shows only 10 people got investment banking from CMU. There are schools ranked lower than CMU that place more people in IB.

https://tepper.cmu.edu/recruiters-and-co ... cs/finance

It would be interesting to know if the poster, or anyone else, has more first hand knowledge on this issue.

You need to understand that we are a batch of 208 - smallest in top 15 and also we have a very strong consulting and Tech background. I am recruiting for Consulting and I am not interested for fin roles. So, it also boils down to personal interest.

If you are interest for Fin role, you need to be motivated enough to pursue it and school is going to help you. We have an award wining career services which supports each and every student to search for their dream job.

I hope it clears the air.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
patartob wrote:
I don't know where this coming from.

Companies like us because we are strong in math and data analytical skills which of course, very useful in finance roles. Although it's true that we're not core school for finance, but the second years who pursue IB/Corporate Finance roles can get their internship on prestigious places. In fact, our second years converted their internship to full time job for IB roles in banks such as CS, DB, JPM, Morgan Stanley, Jefferies, and BoAML to name a few. For IB roles, no matter where you go for school, you will need dedication and effort to get the job such as go to NY every weekend for the whole 3 months of recruitment to network, meet alumni for coffee chat etc. For corporate finance is a bit easier because of less networking needed for that role.

Patar is right, this is spot on. A good amount of the people that set out to do IB ended up with IB, not everyone but a pretty high percentage. Then there's Corp Fin that a lot of people do and is also finance. The reason our numbers are low for IB yes because we're not known for our finance, but also because we're a small school and one where most people are interested in consulting or Tech. If you're looking to get into a Hedge Fund it'll be very hard, like everywhere else.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73174 [0]
Given Kudos: 18949
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Tepper Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Tepper Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Tepper Forum for all fresh things related to the Tepper MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts