It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 20:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.63
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 07:39
Please, please think carefully about this decision. There are "lower-ranked" schools that will be better for your future goals. IMO, the school has turned its back on finance in favor of entrepreneurs and employers have taken notice. You will be in a class full of software engineers and you will not learn anything interesting from them relevant to your finance or business interests.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 16

Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 2.77
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 07:43
Hey ShouldhaveappliedR1,

Care to elaborate on your background for this post? Are you a current Tepper student? What are the problems with Tepper's finance education?

Also, Tepper's employment report doesn't seem to show a lot of graduates becoming software engineers...

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 16

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 07:48
Tepper ranks no.17 in the finance specialization. And over 15% of their 2014 class grad got into finance, so I will be hesitant to say they turned their back on finance. Do you have more stats to support this claim? I would be interested in seeing more concrete stats before I can either agree or disagree with this claim.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 14

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1061 [0], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2015, 21:01
ShouldhaveappliedR1 wrote:
Please, please think carefully about this decision. There are "lower-ranked" schools that will be better for your future goals. IMO, the school has turned its back on finance in favor of entrepreneurs and employers have taken notice. You will be in a class full of software engineers and you will not learn anything interesting from them relevant to your finance or business interests.

I am not sure from where did you get your data. I am a current student and I am pretty sure that not even 30% are software Engineers. I am current student at Tepper and I guess the batch composition is there for everybody to see.

Coming to Finance :
We are pretty competitive for Finance roles as well. The data for employment are also up. Please do check the number.

Please let me know if you have any further doubts about Tepper.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 3: 630 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.48
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 21:44
I don't know where this coming from.

Companies like us because we are strong in math and data analytical skills which of course, very useful in finance roles. Although it's true that we're not core school for finance, but the second years who pursue IB/Corporate Finance roles can get their internship on prestigious places. In fact, our second years converted their internship to full time job for IB roles in banks such as CS, DB, JPM, Morgan Stanley, Jefferies, and BoAML to name a few. For IB roles, no matter where you go for school, you will need dedication and effort to get the job such as go to NY every weekend for the whole 3 months of recruitment to network, meet alumni for coffee chat etc. For corporate finance is a bit easier because of less networking needed for that role.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 14:50
I think where he is coming from is the employment report shows only 10 people got investment banking from CMU. There are schools ranked lower than CMU that place more people in IB.

http://tepper.cmu.edu/recruiters-and-co ... cs/finance

It would be interesting to know if the poster, or anyone else, has more first hand knowledge on this issue.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 18

Current Student

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 21:22
gmathopeful25 wrote:
I think where he is coming from is the employment report shows only 10 people got investment banking from CMU. There are schools ranked lower than CMU that place more people in IB.

http://tepper.cmu.edu/recruiters-and-co ... cs/finance

It would be interesting to know if the poster, or anyone else, has more first hand knowledge on this issue.

You need to understand that we are a batch of 208 - smallest in top 15 and also we have a very strong consulting and Tech background. I am recruiting for Consulting and I am not interested for fin roles. So, it also boils down to personal interest.

If you are interest for Fin role, you need to be motivated enough to pursue it and school is going to help you. We have an award wining career services which supports each and every student to search for their dream job.

I hope it clears the air.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2016, 23:19
patartob wrote:
I don't know where this coming from.

Companies like us because we are strong in math and data analytical skills which of course, very useful in finance roles. Although it's true that we're not core school for finance, but the second years who pursue IB/Corporate Finance roles can get their internship on prestigious places. In fact, our second years converted their internship to full time job for IB roles in banks such as CS, DB, JPM, Morgan Stanley, Jefferies, and BoAML to name a few. For IB roles, no matter where you go for school, you will need dedication and effort to get the job such as go to NY every weekend for the whole 3 months of recruitment to network, meet alumni for coffee chat etc. For corporate finance is a bit easier because of less networking needed for that role.

Patar is right, this is spot on. A good amount of the people that set out to do IB ended up with IB, not everyone but a pretty high percentage. Then there's Corp Fin that a lot of people do and is also finance. The reason our numbers are low for IB yes because we're not known for our finance, but also because we're a small school and one where most people are interested in consulting or Tech. If you're looking to get into a Hedge Fund it'll be very hard, like everywhere else.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 20

Re: Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up   [#permalink] 02 May 2016, 23:19

Anyone interested in finance that is considering Tepper as a back-up

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap