Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 11:21 It is currently 08 May 2024, 11:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Assumptionx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [46]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8569 [6]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1902 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Economic considerations color every aspect of international dealings [#permalink]
Re-posting for further discussion.

Aristotle CR.

Economic considerations colour every aspect of international dealings, and nations are just like individuals in that the lender sets the terms of its dealings with the borrower. That is why a nation that owes money to another nation cannot be world leader.
The reasoning in the passage assumes which one of the following?
(A) A nation that does not lend to any other nation cannot be a world leader.
(B) A nation that can set the terms of its dealings with other nations is certain
to be a world leader.
(C) A nation that has the terms of its dealings with another action set by that
nation cannot be a world leader.
(D) A nation that is a world leader can borrow from another nation as long as that
other nation does not set the terms of the dealings between the two nations.
(E) A nation that has no dealings with any other nation cannot be world leader.

Doubt: Why is D wrong? What exactly does C mean by another action set?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Economic considerations color every aspect of international dealings [#permalink]
A,E straight away out.

I chose B initially which Says: (B) A nation that can set the terms of its dealings with other nations is certain
to be a world leader.

But, I found the wording of the statement is really strong.This is less like an assumption but seems more like a conclusion.

My answer:
(C) A nation that has the terms of its dealings with another action set by that
nation cannot be a world leader.

This perfectly fits as the answer and also matches the wording.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7783 [3]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Actually, B and C are equally strong. B says "If X happens, then Y will certainly happen." C says "If X does NOT happen, Y will certainly NOT happen."

The easiest way to spot the difference is in looking at the end result. The argument concludes that certain countries will NOT be world leaders, so we need a choice that leads to that outcome. Knowing what will guarantee leadership does not tell us what will prevent leadership. However, we could just as well look at the first part of the conditional. We are talking about countries that CANNOT set their own terms, so the premise feeds into C, not B.

A more intuitive way to look at it is that B helps us to conclude that lending countries ARE world leaders (something the argument isn't claiming), while C addresses the actual claim made in the argument: that borrowing countries cannot be world leaders.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8830 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
vprabhala wrote:
Economic considerations color every aspect of international dealings, and nations are just like individuals in that the lender sets the terms of its dealings with the borrower. That is why a nation that owes money to another nation cannot be world leader.

(A) A nation that does not lend to any other nation cannot be a world leader.

(B) A nation that can set the terms of its dealings with other nations is certain to be a world leader.

(C) A nation that has the terms of its dealings with another action set by that nation cannot be a world leader.

(D) A nation that is a world leader can borrow from another nation as long as that other nation does not set the terms of the dealings between the two nations.

(E) A nation that has no dealings with any other nation cannot be world leader.

"the conclusion is about nations who own the money can not be a leader, but that does not mean the other nation would be a leader." Indeed, as far as we're concerned, maybe none of them can be a world leader.

So we're concluding that a nation that owes money to another nation cannot be a world leader. But all we know from the premise about the debtor nation is that it doesn't get to set the terms of the deal -- it's the lender who gets to set the terms. So we need an assumption that says, "If you're not setting the terms of your loan, you can't be a world leader."

That's exactly what (C) says, which is why it's correct.

(A) is out because this doesn't tell us anything about the nation that owes money.

(B) also is irrelevant as we discussed; we care about the nation that borrows, not the one that lends.

(D) was tempting to me, but it's actually backwards. It's telling us that if the other nation doesn't set the terms, you can be a world leader -- but that doesn't mean you can't be a world leader if the other nation does set the terms.

(E) is incorrect because we're talking about a nation that does have dealings with other nations.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Lets say Nation A lends money to Nation B.
The argument says since B cannot be a world leader because A sets all the terms

Lets look at option C now,
(C) A nation (referring to B) that has the terms of its dealings with another nation (referring to A) set by that nation (again referring to A) cannot be a world leader.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 2.91
Send PM
A nation that has the terms of its dealings with another action set by that nation cannot be a world leader.

I'm confused with "that nation", it made me think that C is talking about the lender who set the terms. Can someone help explain this point?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Arielltl wrote:
A nation that has the terms of its dealings with another action set by that nation cannot be a world leader.

I'm confused with "that nation", it made me think that C is talking about the lender who set the terms. Can someone help explain this point?

+1... confused by what is meant by "another action set by THAT nation"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Arielltl wrote:

Correct. THAT nation refers to lender.
If you have studied modifiers in SC , you wouldn't have been in doubt for this...

please press kudos if, this has helped you in some way...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
This one was a bit puzzling but got to right answer C in 2.5 mins.

Choice C is analogous to the premise - if a nation has dealings with another nation, but does not set the terms (analogous to the borrower, because lender sets the terms) then that nation cannot be a world leader.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: Stanford '25
Send PM
Very tricky. But easy.
con:-a nation that owes money to another nation cannot be world leader.
Pre-nations are just like individuals in that the lender sets the terms of its dealings with the borrower.
I will teach you guys a very powerful technique of questioning the contents of a conclusion
Follow this easy strategy of asking questions developed by me.
Ask yourself this question that What cannot make a nation a world leader
And move to assumption options

Economic considerations color every aspect of international dealings, and nations are just like individuals in that the lender sets the terms of its dealings with the borrower. That is why a nation that owes money to another nation cannot be world leader.

(A) A nation that does not lend to any other nation cannot be a world leader. My question is what cannot make a worldleader? They say what makes it. Incorrect

(B) A nation that can set the terms of its dealings with other nations is certain to be a world leader. Not intrested in making world leaders.

(C) A nation that has the terms of its dealings with another action set by that nation cannot be a world leader. ah huh. These answers my question

(D) A nation that is a world leader can borrow from another nation as long as that other nation does not set the terms of the dealings between the two nations. Not intrested in making world leaders.

(E) A nation that has no dealings with any other nation cannot be world leader. Not intrested in making world leaders.

Learn verbal with karan
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1826 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

(A) A nation that does not lend to any other nation cannot be a world leader. - WRONG. Lending and owing money are two different things and thus may result in two different ways.

(B) A nation that can set the terms of its dealings with other nations is certain to be a world leader. - WRONG. Setting terms is still fine but 'certain' is unacceptable as it goes beyond the realms of the passage.

(C) A nation that has the terms of its dealings with another action set by that nation cannot be a world leader. - CORRECT.

(D) A nation that is a world leader can borrow from another nation as long as that other nation does not set the terms of the dealings between the two nations. - WRONG. This may or may not happen at later stage.

(E) A nation that has no dealings with any other nation cannot be world leader. - WRONG. This goes out of scope with the red text.

Answer C.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts