Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:48 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Ask a fresh alum (Class of December 15) [#permalink]
Hi, thanks for that!

I have a question. Regarding career change, do you think a 10 month program is sufficient? Have you seen many people changing industries and location together?

I understand it depends on what industries you are changing to, but I just want to know your insights.

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
ubii88 wrote:
Hi, thanks for that!

I have a question. Regarding career change, do you think a 10 month program is sufficient? Have you seen many people changing industries and location together?

I understand it depends on what industries you are changing to, but I just want to know your insights.

Thanks!!

Hi, yes, 10 months is enough for that. Most of the people come to INSEAD for the change and practically everyone is able to achieve it. Changing 1 of the 3 aspects (function, industry, geography) is easy, 2 out 3 is realistic, 3 out of 3 is a stretch, but still doable (especially for consulting).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have another question for you!

Since it is a 10 month program, can you comment on your studies routine? Do you really studied late nights every day as we heard from some students? How was your life balance?

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bookmarks
ubii88 wrote:
I have another question for you!

Since it is a 10 month program, can you comment on your studies routine? Do you really studied late nights every day as we heard from some students? How was your life balance?

Thank you!

Yes, students do study a lot and late.
Generally people's schedule is approximately the following:
- 3-4 classes between 8.30 and 15.30 (can be later, of course)
- group work until 19.00
- 19.00-21.00 career events
- 21.00 onwards - self-study (2-3 hours a day on average)
If you want to squeeze in social life, sport or personal life, you have to either be VERY efficient, or deprioritize something else. There is no other choice.
So prioritization is the first thing you learn at INSEAD. You have to make your choices.
It doesn't get any better with time, you just get used to it.
And believe me, it's so much worth it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
merryweather, thanks so much for answering! Let me pls add to the topic rised by ubii88. If student doesn't want to study till midnight, what are the risks (s)he takes? I mean if there were cases of expeling students from INSEAD during your studies? Or even if you decide to never study after 8PM you have 99%+ chances to graduate?

Just to explain why I'm asking. During three trainings (one week each) in consulting I saw that some people just make a ground rule not to do anything training related after 7PM, for example. Other people study till 1-2 AM. Both groups succesfully finish the training :) Is it the same in INSEAD? Because from your previous message I see that people study till midnight on average... this is even harder than actual work in consulting (we usually work 9AM till 9PM with one day per week 9AM-7PM).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
StudentFromMoscow wrote:
merryweather, thanks so much for answering! Let me pls add to the topic rised by ubii88. If student doesn't want to study till midnight, what are the risks (s)he takes? I mean if there were cases of expeling students from INSEAD during your studies? Or even if you decide to never study after 8PM you have 99%+ chances to graduate?

Just to explain why I'm asking. During three trainings (one week each) in consulting I saw that some people just make a ground rule not to do anything training related after 7PM, for example. Other people study till 1-2 AM. Both groups succesfully finish the training :) Is it the same in INSEAD? Because from your previous message I see that people study till midnight on average... this is even harder than actual work in consulting (we usually work 9AM till 9PM with one day per week 9AM-7PM).

That was an example of a schedule, which you don't necessarily have to follow. As I said, people make choices, based on their priorities. Coming to class unprepared means that you might get cold-called, and get a lower participation mark, and for sure will not get the maximum value out of class, but that's your choice.
Life at INSEAD is clearly not just about studying, there's a lot of other things going on too. And everybody manages to get what they want.

So if your question is "Is it possible that you fail a subject and will not get a degree?", the answer is "Yes". If your question is "Can you optimize your time so that you don't finish studying at midnight?', the answer will also be "Yes".

I'm sure you'll figure your own ratios by yourself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello merryweather,

First, thank you very much for answering our questions.

I'm applying to the Singapore campus, which I quickly visited last October. Did you live on campus, or a little further away? What would you recommend?

My second question is about campus exchanges. Being French, I'm not really considering the Fontainebleau option. However there's an Abu Dhabi module, and exchanges with either Kellogg or Wharton proposed. Did you switch campus at some point? Did some of your friends? Honestly, this looks in one hand very attractive, and on the other hand 10 months seems a very short period to afford switching campus.

Cheers!

EDIT: I just saw your reply regarding exchanges on another thread. It pretty much answered my question. :wink:

Originally posted by MichaelPinson on 14 Jan 2016, 06:20.
Last edited by MichaelPinson on 14 Jan 2016, 07:04, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi merry!
I am also looking for Insead.. could you tell me which should be the preferable intake (as there are twice in a year) keeping in mind job opportunities.. which one you suggest?
Is it essential for an applicant to be serving as managerial post prior applying there?
I am having 8 months experience in African continent.. how much Insead welcome or praise working in places where majority of the applicants dont go to work?
Thanks
Celestial
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
MichaelPinson wrote:
Hello merryweather,

First, thank you very much for answering our questions.

I'm applying to the Singapore campus, which I quickly visited last October. Did you live on campus, or a little further away? What would you recommend?

My second question is about campus exchanges. Being French, I'm not really considering the Fontainebleau option. However there's an Abu Dhabi module, and exchanges with either Kellogg or Wharton proposed. Did you switch campus at some point? Did some of your friends? Honestly, this looks in one hand very attractive, and on the other hand 10 months seems a very short period to afford switching campus.

Cheers!

EDIT: I just saw your reply regarding exchanges on another thread. It pretty much answered my question. :wink:

On the housing options: majority stays in either Heritage or Dover condominiums, which are within 10-15 minutes walk. Living there makes it feel a bit more like a "bubble" or university dorms. But because of high demand from INSEAD students and shorter term of lease, prices there are higher than they should be.
Families tend to stay a bit further away, and get better deals for the same amount of money.

On the campus exchange, I'd like to add here: although there are plenty of "lifers" on both campuses (including myself, a lifer in Singapore), I'd say that majority still travels between campuses. Campus exchange is something that makes the program truly dynamic and global: you get exposed to different parts of the world and very different mentalities and lifestyles. So if I were you, I'd consider the full experience (2 campuses), even though you're from France.
But of course, it's up to you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Celestial09 wrote:
Hi merry!
I am also looking for Insead.. could you tell me which should be the preferable intake (as there are twice in a year) keeping in mind job opportunities.. which one you suggest?
Is it essential for an applicant to be serving as managerial post prior applying there?
I am having 8 months experience in African continent.. how much Insead welcome or praise working in places where majority of the applicants dont go to work?
Thanks
Celestial

The school really makes an effort so that there is no "better" intake in terms of the job opportunities (and similarly, no "better" campus). Each has its upsides.
- January intake gives you an option to do a summer internship, which is something to consider if you want an easier switch into a new industry.
- September intake provides a chance to spend a few weeks in the Middle East, and also has more options for Investment Banking: IB hiring cycle, as far as I know, is concentrated around November-December for summer jobs / internships, so by the time January students come to school, they are already late for it. And it seems like an internship is the best way to get into IB.

I personally liked to be part of January intake for 2 reasons: first, because it gave me a great learning experience of hunting after an internship (which prepared me for the real job search). And second, because it gave us a few weeks break from the really intense schedule to take care of personal matters and travel, and then a great feeling of "back to school" reunion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.23
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hello and thanks for doing this.

Why did you decide to stay in Singapore?

Did you have any concerns over the quality of the professors in Singy vs Fonty?

What was your favorite class & prof and why?

Based on what did you schedule your electives and were you able to secure a spot for all?

If you were (and if you had the energy :P) to do this again, what would you do differently?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
Send PM
Hi Merry,
Can you provide some insight on scholarship opportunities at INSEAD. I have my interviews for the January intake in a few weeks and I am completing my scholarship essays now.

Being American, will it be difficult for me to win a good scholarship?

Also, are you aware of any external scholarships that you or your classmates where able to receive?

I have been backpacking around the world for the last two years and can really use any financial assistance I can get, but I worry that I'll be disadvantaged as an American male. Thanks for any advice!

Justin

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
merryweather wrote:

The school really makes an effort so that there is no "better" intake in terms of the job opportunities (and similarly, no "better" campus). Each has its upsides.
- January intake gives you an option to do a summer internship, which is something to consider if you want an easier switch into a new industry.
- September intake provides a chance to spend a few weeks in the Middle East, and also has more options for Investment Banking: IB hiring cycle, as far as I know, is concentrated around November-December for summer jobs / internships, so by the time January students come to school, they are already late for it. And it seems like an internship is the best way to get into IB.

I personally liked to be part of January intake for 2 reasons: first, because it gave me a great learning experience of hunting after an internship (which prepared me for the real job search). And second, because it gave us a few weeks break from the really intense schedule to take care of personal matters and travel, and then a great feeling of "back to school" reunion.

Hello, Thanks for doing this.

Can you please just give a rough idea about timeline of campus hiring cycle for different sectors, i.e. IB, Consult, TMT etc. When do different companes visit for PPT/ job offers.

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [3]
Send PM
Kudos