Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.69
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Hi Gil,

Thanks for doing this! Here's my profile:

White Male

GMAT: 710 (Q48/V39/7IR/6AWA) - planning to retake and hopefully hit 720-740

B.Science in Mechanical Engineering with an Econ minor from a top 50 undergrad
GPA 3.69
Extra-curriculars in college: Collegiate athlete and member of fraternity

Work experience:
-A little over 1 year at a top engineering / construction firm in New York City
-About 3 years at one of the big 4 consulting on capital projects (construction claims / litigation and financial advisory surrounding new construction and property acquisitions)

Extra curricular:
-Volunteer through work at a non-profit that teaches financial literacy to local children K-12; volunteer regularly and often help to coordinate / co-lead events
-Involved with a non-profit related to the sport I did in college; part of committee of recent graduates who work to help the NPO function, secure fundraising, and spread the word to local residents
-After being an athlete in college I am still passionate about racing/competing; train regularly for various races in the area

Post MBA goals:
I want to continue to be involved with the construction process but in more of a financing role. Interested in IB specific to infrastructure, transportation, or public finance. Also very interested in public-private partnerships. Long term potentially working at the Port Authority or MTA (or other public authority outside of NYC) helping to manage the capital improvement budget.

Schools
Reach- Booth, Columbia

Stern, Darden, Yale, Fuqua, Johnson

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
MechEGMAT wrote:
Hi Gil,

Thanks for doing this! Here's my profile:

White Male

GMAT: 710 (Q48/V39/7IR/6AWA) - planning to retake and hopefully hit 720-740

B.Science in Mechanical Engineering with an Econ minor from a top 50 undergrad
GPA 3.69
Extra-curriculars in college: Collegiate athlete and member of fraternity

Work experience:
-A little over 1 year at a top engineering / construction firm in New York City
-About 3 years at one of the big 4 consulting on capital projects (construction claims / litigation and financial advisory surrounding new construction and property acquisitions)

Extra curricular:
-Volunteer through work at a non-profit that teaches financial literacy to local children K-12; volunteer regularly and often help to coordinate / co-lead events
-Involved with a non-profit related to the sport I did in college; part of committee of recent graduates who work to help the NPO function, secure fundraising, and spread the word to local residents
-After being an athlete in college I am still passionate about racing/competing; train regularly for various races in the area

Post MBA goals:
I want to continue to be involved with the construction process but in more of a financing role. Interested in IB specific to infrastructure, transportation, or public finance. Also very interested in public-private partnerships. Long term potentially working at the Port Authority or MTA (or other public authority outside of NYC) helping to manage the capital improvement budget.

Schools
Reach- Booth, Columbia

Stern, Darden, Yale, Fuqua, Johnson

Thanks!

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. You are definitely a solid candidate for the schools you've chosen. Your career choice leverages your background, which is a plus. 710 is a good score, but of course feel free to retake the gmat and improve if you have the time. A lot will depend upon the quality of your work experiences and communicating your passion for infrastructure. If you wish to apply to CBS and consider it a top choice, then I'd recommend the early deadline. The essays are out already, so let us know if you wish to discuss further.

Best of luck and feel free to contact Aringo with any additional questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Dear All,

Please help in evaluating my profile...

Please suggest which are the colleges I can apply and What are the areas I can improve upon so that I can apply for better colleges.

GMAT : 670 Q:48 V:33 (first attempt : will retake again)

Academics :
10th : 85%
12th : 97.2%
Engineering : 3.57 / 4 ( GPA )

Work Experience :

3 years at Business Intelligence unit, ICICI bank. (got 2 appraisals)
Working as Deputy Manager, Business Intelligence unit, ICICI Bank
Projects : 1) NPA Provisioning analytics
2) Risk Analytics - Segmentation of the loan Portfolio
3) Debt Service Management Group - Collection Analytics ( many left... just for giving an idea... limiting to this)
4) Hands on experience on SAS,Vertica,R,Hadoop,BigData

Educational Achievements :

1) CIMA(UK) - Chartered Institute of Management Accounting certificate in Business Accounting
2) Specialization in Financial Analytics - Jigsaw Academy ( #1 analytics training academy in india)
3) WCBDA - Wrox Certified Big Data Analyst (international IT certification) - By AnalytixLabs
3- 4 courses in EDx and Coursera

Extra-Curricular Activities:

Represented Tamil Nadu State Cricket Team in under 16 category
Captain of Thiruvallur district Cricket association in the under 16,19,22 categories
Winner of Inter district cricket tournament under my captaincy in under 19
Winner of Management Guru, nation level technical symposium by Anna University
Winner of Yuvashri KalaBharathi for outstanding achievements in Sports and Academics simultaneously.
Junior Coach of younger kids in a renowned cricket academy in Mumbai( on weekends)

Since Analytics is one upcoming field and I have started my career as a data analyst in financial services, I would like to stick to this field.
I have been hearing from people that this is one good area where I can differentiate myself from the rest of the applicants pool ( Is it really so? )

1) I wanted to know with this score which are the universities I can apply?

2) What are the aspects I need to improve upon to aim for better schools (definitely GMAT score) other than the schools state above.

3) Would a 700 on GMAT score with this application and good essays and LOR fetch me admission from top 20 colleges?

4) Are Top 10 schools far from me? :( or Can I offset this Low GMAT with this application?

Please help me out. Hoping for a reply. Would help me a lot going forward.

Thanks and cheers
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Gil,

I would love to get your advice on my profile:

My score:
42Q (51%) 44V (98%),
Total: 710 (92%)

The first time I took the test I got a 600 total, and on all my practice tests through Manhattan GMAT, my highest score was a 680.

Work Experience:
A number of internships at small-mid sized investment banks, and a year and a half working in advertising sales for one of the four broadcast networks. I was also a volunteer firefighter for six years.

Scholastic Experience:
Graduated from a top 20 university with a 3.4 GPA, and a 3.6 GPA in both my Major & Minor (History and Business, respectively).

I'm happy to give more information as necessary, but I'm wondering if I need to retake the GMAT to up my quant score if I want a shot at a top 15 B-School.

So far I'm really interested in Kellogg and Darden and I was hoping to get your opinion on where I stand. Thanks!

Thanks!
Send PM
Expert Reply
kkarthik1692 wrote:
Dear All,

Please help in evaluating my profile...

Please suggest which are the colleges I can apply and What are the areas I can improve upon so that I can apply for better colleges.

GMAT : 670 Q:48 V:33 (first attempt : will retake again)

Academics :
10th : 85%
12th : 97.2%
Engineering : 3.57 / 4 ( GPA )

Work Experience :

3 years at Business Intelligence unit, ICICI bank. (got 2 appraisals)
Working as Deputy Manager, Business Intelligence unit, ICICI Bank
Projects : 1) NPA Provisioning analytics
2) Risk Analytics - Segmentation of the loan Portfolio
3) Debt Service Management Group - Collection Analytics ( many left... just for giving an idea... limiting to this)
4) Hands on experience on SAS,Vertica,R,Hadoop,BigData

Educational Achievements :

1) CIMA(UK) - Chartered Institute of Management Accounting certificate in Business Accounting
2) Specialization in Financial Analytics - Jigsaw Academy ( #1 analytics training academy in india)
3) WCBDA - Wrox Certified Big Data Analyst (international IT certification) - By AnalytixLabs
3- 4 courses in EDx and Coursera

Extra-Curricular Activities:

Represented Tamil Nadu State Cricket Team in under 16 category
Captain of Thiruvallur district Cricket association in the under 16,19,22 categories
Winner of Inter district cricket tournament under my captaincy in under 19
Winner of Management Guru, nation level technical symposium by Anna University
Winner of Yuvashri KalaBharathi for outstanding achievements in Sports and Academics simultaneously.
Junior Coach of younger kids in a renowned cricket academy in Mumbai( on weekends)

Since Analytics is one upcoming field and I have started my career as a data analyst in financial services, I would like to stick to this field.
I have been hearing from people that this is one good area where I can differentiate myself from the rest of the applicants pool ( Is it really so? )

1) I wanted to know with this score which are the universities I can apply?

2) What are the aspects I need to improve upon to aim for better schools (definitely GMAT score) other than the schools state above.

3) Would a 700 on GMAT score with this application and good essays and LOR fetch me admission from top 20 colleges?

4) Are Top 10 schools far from me? :( or Can I offset this Low GMAT with this application?

Please help me out. Hoping for a reply. Would help me a lot going forward.

Thanks and cheers

Hi there,
Thanks for the additional info.
1- With your current score, breaking into top 20 is possible especially because of your strong acads, certifications and good career progression. However, to improve your odds and perhaps aim higher within the top 20, getting a 700 will certainly help your case. Especially since there are many more months to go, you may not be able to convince admissions committees this was your best performance.
Talk to us, to discuss further on how to position your candidacy and what other areas to focus on etc. but overall we believe with a 700 GMAT you've a strong chance of breaking top 10-15, and with the current 670, you could still crack some schools like Kelley or Georgetown as long as you do a terrific job with essays.
Email our CEO, Chaya (chayap@aringo.com) to set up a free assessment call with no attached commitments.

Best of luck!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi everyone,

We thought it would be good to post a short summary of what we have so far in terms of updated application materials for 2016 programs:

HBS – already published their one essay question, deadlines (first round 9/9/15) and recommendation questions. Application for Class of 2018 will go live in mid-June.

MIT Sloan – already published essay questions and deadlines (first round 9/17/2015). The application for entry in August 2016 will be available in early July.

Stanford - already published essay questions, deadlines (first round 9/22/2015) and recommendation questions.

Columbia - already published essay questions and deadlines.

Wharton – published deadlines (first round 9/29/2015).

You can check out our websites for updates.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
cc

Originally posted by bluepulaski1 on 04 Jun 2015, 06:46.
Last edited by bluepulaski1 on 02 Nov 2015, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,
Sorry for the delay...
Regarding re-taking the test, most MBA programs will consider your highest score, so the risk is small to none. Moreover, a new feature in the GMAT allows you to see your score at the end of the test and decide if you want to cancel it on the spot.
Regarding possible schools with your profile and GMAT of 680-700 – it obviously depends on the amount and quality of work experience you will have in 2-3 years, but we think you can aim for schools like Darden, UCLA, Cornell, Tuck, Yale, Michigan, UNC.
Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Originally posted by ARINGO on 13 Jun 2015, 22:54.
Last edited by ARINGO on 02 Nov 2015, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
To add to the previous post, regarding retaking the GMAT and cancelling GMAT score -
As of July 19, the “C” that represents a candidate’s cancelled scores will not be shown on any future GMAT score reports generated by GMAC.
You can read more about it here: https://aringo.com/the-gmat-exam-2-impor ... n-july-19/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Aringo wrote:
To add to the previous post, regarding retaking the GMAT and cancelling GMAT score -
As of July 19, the “C” that represents a candidate’s cancelled scores will not be shown on any future GMAT score reports generated by GMAC.
You can read more about it here: https://aringo.com/the-gmat-exam-2-impor ... n-july-19/

Demographic: White Male

Goal: Investment Banking

Education:
Diagnostic before any study: 480
GMAT 1: 580
GMAT 2: 680 (Q46/V38)
GMAT 3: 700 (Q41/V44) (57th percentile Quant!!!)
Undergraduate College: Top Liberal Arts School
Undergraduate Major: Economics
Undergraduate Minor: Political Science
Undergraduate GPA: 3.45

Work Experience:
Internship Experience: Internships in Consulting (Boutique) / Mortgage Banking (Freshman and Sophomore) (licensed second year)
Full Time: BB Operations Analyst (JPM, GS, MS)

Extracurriculars
Varsity Athlete (major sport at D3 school) (3-year starter)
Study Abroad - Argentina

It took an absurd amount of study hours to get to 700. It took 6 months of making the test my "full-time job" during my senior year / time before work started. Anyway, what are my chances at a top 12 school with my current profile?

Also, I can provide you with potential mitigating factors for the low quant score, just PM me for specific grades if needed. Almost all Finance / Accounting were A or A-, and other Stats and Math were B+/A-

I will give the GMAT another shot in 16 days since there is no risk in canceling it, although I will have little-to-no study time (relative to before) as I just started working.

Please let me know if you need any more information. I really appreciate the feedback!
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. The improvement in your GMAT score is very impressive and reflects determination, which is an attribute that admissions committees note. A 700 is a great score, though it may fall a bit short for some schools - which specifically do you have in mind? You can always compensate for your score with other aspects of your application - Your work experience, other academics and extra curriculars are very solid! With effective essays and strong interview skills that leave a lasting impression, you can likely break the top 12. Please contact our CEO, Chrissy (chrissym@aringo.com), for a free assessment call - with no attached commitments - so that she can review your profile in greater depth and offer guidance as to how to proceed and best increase your chances for admission. You can also browse our website (aringo.com) for useful tips and try our calculator to assess your chances (https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/). Well done so far! The only thing left is to ensure you stand out in your application and interviews.

Best of luck,
Zooey
Aringo

Originally posted by ARINGO on 14 Jul 2015, 11:11.
Last edited by ARINGO on 02 Nov 2015, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ff

Originally posted by bluepulaski1 on 14 Jul 2015, 17:43.
Last edited by bluepulaski1 on 02 Nov 2015, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 02-27-2016
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hi,

Will really appreciate if you can review my profile.

Gender- Female
Age- 26
Work ex -36 Months (Currently working with Worlds largest Fortune 500 Real Estate Company in India,I handle personal real estate portfolios of top leaders of the country)
Nationality - India and Based out of India.

Education - Graduation in First Class in Advertising from one of the best colleges of India.(3.5 when converted CGPA)
MBA in Marketing from India (2.6 CGPA)

Extra Curricular -
Several good Internships and also started my own online retail business on FB (it has 18,000 likes now and FB shopping cart) and now expanding to a web site.
Part of Student council During MBA.
A whole lot of other activities in college.

Target GMAT score - 680 to 710.

Target Schools-
1. Ivey School of Business Canada
2. Rotman

and can I aim for top 20 -30 Schools?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmad2015 wrote:
Hi,

Will really appreciate if you can review my profile.

Gender- Female
Age- 26
Work ex -36 Months (Currently working with Worlds largest Fortune 500 Real Estate Company in India,I handle personal real estate portfolios of top leaders of the country)
Nationality - India and Based out of India.

Education - Graduation in First Class in Advertising from one of the best colleges of India.(3.5 when converted CGPA)
MBA in Marketing from India (2.6 CGPA)

Extra Curricular -
Several good Internships and also started my own online retail business on FB (it has 18,000 likes now and FB shopping cart) and now expanding to a web site.
Part of Student council During MBA.
A whole lot of other activities in college.

Target GMAT score - 680 to 710.

Target Schools-
1. Ivey School of Business Canada
2. Rotman

and can I aim for top 20 -30 Schools?

Hi there,
Thanks for reaching out! The average GMAT score for Richard Ivey School of Business has been reported to be around a 655 and the average score for Rotman is said to be around a 672, so with your impressive and well rounded profile (great work experience and personal initiatives!), if you achieve your target score, admission to either school should be well within your reach.
Breaking a 700 would definitely help your chances of getting into a top 20 school as would strong essays that effectively reflect and emphasize your achievements and capabilities.
Check out our free admissions calculator for a more in-depth analysis of your chances (https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/) and feel free to browse our website for useful tips regarding the application process and insight into what the top schools are seeking in candidates. I also invite you to email our international CEO, Chaya (chayap@aringo.com) to set up a free assessment call - with no attached commitments - so that she can offer you some personal guidance.

Best of luck and well done!
Zooey
Aringo
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Schools: Ivey '18 (A)
Send PM
Hi Aringo, kindly help review my stats;

25yrold male from Nigeria. Bsc economics 3.5CGPA, over 3yrs in audit with pwc and gmat score of 620 (first attempt)...im aiming a top 20 league sch; my targets where initially wharton, cornell n duke but i realise wharton might be a little too ambitious with my gmat score?...pls whats your take, what top 20 schools can i apply to with my stats or do i need to redo the gmat? (Redoing the gmat means applying for second round)...thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Aringo, I would appreciate if you could evaluate my chances, suggest potential improvements (e.g. pushing up GMAT, more experience etc.) and recommend any other schools that might be a good fit considering my goals.

Profile:
Male, Slovak republic native, 25

Education:
BSc in Mathematics from Charles University in Czech republic – I have low (around 3) GPA for two reasons 1) different (much more strict) grading system (1-3, 4=fail, 1=best) where average of all students was usually around 2.5
2) I had to leave home and my family stopped providing me any support so I had to work while studying 2 programs in parallel

GMAT: 710 (Q: 49, V: 37); TOEFL iBT: 113

Experience:
5 years across management consulting, retail focused and analytics firms, both big, well known players and start-ups across geographies, partly managing teams of 2-7 people. I started with more technical roles, shifting towards project management.

I was Consultant at Mennheim Associates (MC company based in Dubai, founded by ex-BCG principals serving Saudi Royal Family and HNWI across GCC), VP Strategy at Futurelytics (Czech start-up, Online customer analytics platform for e-commerce), Senior Consultant at Deloitte Consulting (based in Prague, Forensics and Analytics team, projects across Europe), Insight Analyst at Dunnhumby (Customer analytics company enabling commercial excellence using big data), Business Analyst at Roland Berger Strategy Consultants (part-time) and Sales Analyst at L’Oreal (part-time).

Extra-Curriculars:
Team leader in university club where I organized lectures and events with influential CE economists and politicians, attended by thousands of students and professors. Led team of 12 people, steering marketing activities and managing club finances.
Journalist and Photographer for UK Media, university magazine (3000+ readers) -interviewed and photographed university employees and events, acquired sponsors

Pro-bono:
Project with AIESEC in small village in Turkey where I helped families in need to educate their children (English) and taught them some sports as well (I was swimming and volleyball coach)
As a Marketing Strategy & Finance director for the 1st Slovak street festival w. 3k+ visitors & int’l line-up I designed website and merchandise, and negotiated financing.
Established traveleatshare and zbynovsky (dot com) – community (website and social networks) to share travelogues, recipes, photos and videos

Post-MBA goals: MC or PE/VC firms, network to support establishment of my own firm

Targeting schools: INSEAD, Cambridge, IE, Stanford, Sloan; Applying in R1-2 2015/16

Thank you,
Send PM
Expert Reply
oludayo wrote:
Hi Aringo, kindly help review my stats;

25yrold male from Nigeria. Bsc economics 3.5CGPA, over 3yrs in audit with pwc and gmat score of 620 (first attempt)...im aiming a top 20 league sch; my targets where initially wharton, cornell n duke but i realise wharton might be a little too ambitious with my gmat score?...pls whats your take, what top 20 schools can i apply to with my stats or do i need to redo the gmat? (Redoing the gmat means applying for second round)...thanks

Hi there,
Thanks for reaching out! With your current GMAT score, the schools you mentioned may be a bit of reach unless you can stand out in your application with a very unique background, heavy extracurriculars and/or highly impressive leadership experience and initiatives in your workplace. If you feel that you can improve your score, I'd recommend taking the GMAT again.
Please be in touch with Chaya, our international CEO (chayap@aringo.com), so that she can offer you a more in-depth analysis of your profile as well as insight into your chances and guidance for your next steps.

Best of luck,
Zooey
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  29   30   31   32   33   34   35  ...  75