Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
Patagonia wrote:
I was Summer WL last year and was encouraged to reapply this year... Does that mean if my application is about as good this year I am a shoo in???

I wish I could say that is true, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be so for most schools. Only one school I know of--Tuck--says that it historically favors reapplicants, and if you look at the school profile on BW, where applicant percentages are broken down, you'll see that this is true. (That is, compared to the general acceptance rate, the reapplicant acceptance rate is higher.)

All other schools strongly encourage reapplicants, for what I think are three reasons: 1) it's the most polite way of saying "we dinged you, but you could always try your luck next time", 2) the application fees may represent a revenue stream (albeit a very minor one), and 3) a larger applicant pool makes the school look more competitive, so it's in their best interests obviously to encourage reapplicants.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Johnson
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: IB-4 years
Send PM
Kudos
First time poster for Kellogg, been focused on another board, and just recently started reading the messages this week (regretfully since I was not aware that Kellogg called their applicants as far as two weeks before the decision date). Needless to say I am now checking my phone frequently.

Yesterday afternoon I was at my desk hearing my phone vibrate, only to see it was a telemarketer I have seen before. After I ignored the call, I noticed I had another missed call from an 847-number that had called at the same time, leaving no voicemail. I have no idea if that's AT&T's fault, but its fun to thank them for the added anxiety. The best part is it was probably not them, and now the game of jumping all over that number if it comes up again begins, and I can't wait to answer and sound so excited when some random guy asks me if I'm satisfied with my current cable service.

I actually think this waiting around is exciting, and the stress it creates is somewhat positive. Our expectations have caused this stress, because obviously we see enough value in ourselves that we should even be considered for such a great opportunity, let alone one that could come at any moment. I'd like to think that this stress is only because we know we have that shot others could only dream of. I'm guessing that of the people reading this there are a good amount of people who are frustrated, but if it's any consolation, you are probably frustrated because you know you are good enough. Of course, it helps that I have personally accepted the fact that being denied at any moment is a possibility, but I know that I'll be no worse off than I am now because of a rejection. For me, if getting rejected from one of the top schools in the world my first time around is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I would have lived a fantastic life. I'm sure that's true for the majority of you.

You can add me to the roll call, interviewed 10/5 (which seems a decade ago) in my hometown of Chicago-Go Bears
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Concentration: Strategy,Finance,Marketing
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
jowales wrote:
eskimoroll wrote:
Sweetshel86 wrote:
I just received a missed call from an 847 number...it was a plumber.

I'm still shaking :(

lol, I'm glad I don't live in Chicago right now. My family is still there and they have 847 numbers but they should all be in my address book. :)

OK don't want to make any one panic but I am panicking right now. Just got a voicemail from Deena Williams of kellogg tellign me to call her back!!! I just did and left a message on her phone...hope this means I'm in!!!

I've been admitted ...she said they just started making calls today!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Concentration: Strategy,Finance,Marketing
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
Sweetshel86 wrote:
JUST GOT THE CALL FROM DEENA WILLIAMS. IM IN!!!!!!!!!

yayyyy!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!1
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia (enrolling), Booth (admitted), Kellogg (admitted), NYU (withdrawn)
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3 yrs IM
Send PM
Kudos
sharksr1 wrote:
For those that say in - can you give us a small profile? I know it doesn't matter at this point but it helps for some reason....

770 GMAT, 3.8 GPA US state-school, 3yrs in investment research, solid but not extraordinary ECs
I would say my essays were good, but my Kellogg interview was average to below average (I was personable, but I felt nervous and caught myself rambling a couple times. It was my first interview).

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NABA, AKA
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Concentration: Investment Management, Wealth Management, Commercial Banking
Schools:Booth (Accepted + 60K!), Kellogg (Accepted + 70K!), Stanford (Ding), Duke (Withdrawn)
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Kudos
My online status has not changed. When I talked to Deena she said I was the first admit she had spoken to and that was around 2pm CT.

Profile:
-3 years W/E at matriculation with Top Financial Services firm--2 years corp fin and 1 year credit
-700 GMAT
-3.6 GPA from top private undergrad (Ivy quality in Midwest)
-African American Female
-EXTENSIVE extracurriculars, both in undergrad and currently
-Felt like I really connected with my interviewer, especially about my e/c's
-Had extensive revisions to essays and thought they were pretty steller and clear about my goals, fairly emotional 'why this career path' essay that went into certain experiences in my background
-I was confident that I did everything I possibly could to get in; no regrets about essays or interviews
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all, just got the phone call and I'm in! Wow, my hands are still shaking. I think she said an email would be coming, but honestly I could barely pay attention. AT&T dropped the call about half way through (yep, Verizon here I come), but she was nice enough to call back.

Stats: Female, 28 at matriculation, GMAT 750, 6 years work experience in small biz marketing, 750 GMAT, 3.8 GPA top 20 private college, post-MBA plans = entrepreneurship. Really relieved to get in with my somewhat strange work history (was a ski instructor after I graduated!)

Hope to see some of you at DAK, and best of luck to the rest who have yet to hear!

edit: I applied to the full time 2Y program
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS (Dinged); Wharton (Waitlisted--R1--Rewaitlisted); Kellogg (Accepted$$!); MIT Sloan (Accepted!); Georgetown (Accepted$$!)
Send PM
Kudos
In case you guys haven't seen...from the blog:

12/9/2010 8:10 AM
Kellogg Round 1 Decisions Are Being Released
The Kellogg School has begun releasing decisions (Admit, Waitlist, Deny) for Round 1. Decisions will be released from now until the notification deadline of December 20, 2010. Each applicant will be notified via email from the Kellogg School Office of Admissions when a decision has been rendered. After receiving this email candidates will be able to view their decision on the Check Application Status page located on the full-time program’s homepage.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
i feel like i'm standing in line to get into a cool party and the bouncer's saying no
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
WE 1: 3Y IB
WE 2: 3Y Non-profit Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
tru777 wrote:
2011App wrote:
Beth Flye just left a message for my wife. I'm thinking she's definitely in. I'm ecstatic for her but I'm very worried about me. The last two days I had thought that we were just at the end of somebody's A-G pile but this has me worried.

Best of luck to you and congrats to your wife!

On a side note, what's the story behind your avatar? I first thought that might be Pauly D from Jersey Shore.

Thanks everyone, I'm sooooo excited for her. The great thing about having your spouse get in is that even if I get dinged I still have something to celebrate.

The avatar is a picture of one of the guys from the cult classic VH1 show Growing Up Gotti. I really think they paved the way for patriots like Pauly D. I chose it b/c the hair is glorious, the stare is hypnotizing, and radiant light coming off his white jean jacket makes him look almost angelic
Intern
Intern
Schools:Berkeley, Kellogg
Send PM
Kudos
IN! With a scholarship. Suck it Haas.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing & Strategy
Schools:Ross (R1), Kellogg (R1), Stanford (R1), Texas (R2), USC (R2)
 Q49  V42
GPA: 2.58
Send PM
Kudos
I know this is a very stressful time for people (including myself). One of my peers at work is a Kellogg alum and reached out to a contact within the Admissions Office (not an Ad-com member itself though). Was told that the reason things are perceived 'slow' and why decisions are being rolled out this way is because they literally are still making final decisions for a large group of students. In other words, if you haven't received a decision, it is because they just haven't decided yet.

Originally posted by cavalier88 on 10 Dec 2010, 11:19.
Last edited by cavalier88 on 10 Dec 2010, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I was called yesterday at 2:30pm CST. In, whew!

<= My profile's here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
WE 1: 3Y IB
WE 2: 3Y Non-profit Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
Emarc182 wrote:
Hey djknif, Washington DC here too. Lets assume they are calling geographically ;-)

During my admissions call last Friday I asked the rep why some people were called on Wednesday, some on Friday, and some still waiting. I told him that I was awaret that people had been getting calls in large numbers since Wednesday and that I had been going crazy for two days. He laughed and said that they actaully read these blogs sometimes (interesting/scary). He said that we give them way too much credit for their decision communication methodologies. He said that they have a stack of admitted applicants. The admissions staff splits them up and works through their respective piles as quickly as possible. I happened to be in the Friday stack and that I shouldn't read any further into it.

I like to think that I willed my admit into existence by obsessively checking blogs and status page. I guess I was just in the Friday stack.
Intern
Intern
Schools:HBS (Dinged); Wharton (Waitlisted--R1--Rewaitlisted); Kellogg (Accepted$$!); MIT Sloan (Accepted!); Georgetown (Accepted$$!)
Send PM
Kudos
I got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still shaking!!
Intern
Intern
Schools:CBS (R2) Stern (R2) Kellogg (R1) GSB (R2)
Kudos
Longtime lurker, current jdmba 11 applicant still waiting to hear back

Spoke to my friend, a current Kellogg student, volunteers at admissions: the way it works is that the admissions counselor is given a list of names to call each day in no particular order. It's all random. Also, last year they were calling until January 10. So while I feel like I am being tortured like the rest of you, it is better than last year at least.

So at the end of the day, we can conclude that the dings come in the morning email, and that everything else is random. Maybe that alleviates some stress for some of you. Any other extrapolations of a small sample size of data I wouldn't rely on.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Consulting ,Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg (2Y - Waitlisted), Anderson(ADMITTED),UCI(ADMITTED with $$$), Booth R2 ADMITTED)
Send PM
Kudos
A quick consolidation of those still waiting...probably more!!

WithHopesToWin
Nick2010
mbaaspirant11
Emarc182
trikstr
fromshanghai
ANTMBA
tru777
zorro
CORDOBA
kate47
Hessegebbabel