Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: This Is The App You're Looking For

Fun fact: I actually became a "fake FEMBA" and started my full-time job at Disney before I graduated.

Although it was hard balancing both work and school (I don't know how FEMBAs do it!), I couldn't pass up my dream job.

So what do I do?  My job title is Marketing and Operations Manager and I work within Disney Interactive Media.  Disney Interactive Media provides Disney fans with new ways to experience their favorite stories and characters through various digital platforms.  Currently, my main responsibilities include managing the Disney, Star Wars and Babble brand guides, marketing efforts for DI Media's suite of mobile apps and our team's budget and analytics

Recently, I've helped launch two new apps- Disney GIF and the official Star Wars App.  App launches are always one of the most exhilarating experiences- you work behind the scenes to put everything together and it's thrilling once the product is in someone's hands and you're able to see their responses to it.  And, both of these apps are so different that each had it's own set of quirks and learnings.

Disney GIF:

Disney GIF is a messaging keyboard that allows people to express their emotions in a whole new way and send GIFs to their friends and family.  This app is constantly adding more content and it has a wide range of IP including Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars.  I work very closely with mobile product, content programming, and synergy for this app to make sure everyone is in sync and on the same page.

Star Wars App:

The official mobile connection to a galaxy far, far way.  This app not only has the latest news and a slew of other features, but it also has a selfie experience and my personal favorite, Star Wars emojis. I  work really closely with the LucasFilm team on this app, and it's only going to get more interesting closer to the release of the next Star Wars movie in December.

So, there it is- a look at what I do.  I'm having a lot of fun at Disney, and bonus- there are a ton of Anderson alumni here!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
kinjiGC wrote:
indraban wrote:
Does Anderson require Toefl from Indian Candidates ?

yes, TOEFL is mandatory for Anderson

More : https://www.anderson.ucla.edu/degrees/mb ... applicants

Is TOEFL mandatory for those who completed their Undergraduate degree from a US college?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Planning for failure

It's not too often that I get to quote Mike Tyson but in this particular situation I felt it was apt.

Planning for a success is a normal thing where ideally A leads to B and B to C but as I recently learnt after reading the "Startup of you" that success is not sequential. To achieve success in our new chaotic, interconnected and increasingly competitive landscape we need to constantly evolve. 

With the admission process in full swing I wanted to take a break from my usual "Why Anderson" posts and help out any Anderson hopefuls out there. As you navigate the admissions process learn to plan for failure. As is the new mantra - "Fail fast and fail often". If you have started the process its imperative to get a lot of feedback at this juncture so that you have a solid foundation to build upon. Start off with an initial draft of all your essays and get as many eyes on it as you can as opposed to waiting towards the end. Try to get your colleagues, friends and family review your half-baked essays and keep making iterative changes. 

Use the resume tool Vmock to upload your resume to ensure it's upto the mark. Recommendations are another critical component that need be tackled early on. Connect with your recommenders and remind them again of your accomplishments, career growth and leadership potential before they put the pen to the paper. Send your recommenders a short summary of all your successes and even failures along with your resume, so that they can portray you as accurately as is possible.

Keep taking those small little steps and continuously build upon the knowledge you gleaned from the previous steps. As a software tester I learnt the art of exploratory testing where I explored a system, analyzed what I found and created a plan of attack based on my information and repeated the process cyclically. In a similar vein, the MBA process needs to be structured and explored because at the end of the day your time is finite and in order to get the best ROI on your effort it's important to address the areas that need the most improvement.

Best of luck!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Navigating the admissions process by failing fast

With the admission process in full swing I wanted to take a break from my usual "Why Anderson" posts and help out Anderson hopefuls. 

Planning for success seems sequential but as I recently learnt after reading the "Startup of you" that is not always true. To achieve success in our new chaotic, interconnected and increasingly competitive landscape we need to constantly evolve. Entrepreneurs have learnt this lesson the hard way and have become increasingly aware of the what-if scenarios. The What-if scenarios force you to focus on your shortcomings and prevent you from indulging in wishful thinking. 

As you navigate the admissions process embrace the new adage - "Fail fast and fail often". If you have started the process it's imperative to get a lot of feedback at this juncture so that you have a strong foundation to build upon. Start off with an initial draft of all your essays and get as many eyes on it as you can as opposed to waiting towards the end. Get your colleagues, friends and family to review your half-baked essays and keep making iterative changes. 

Use the online resume tool Vmock to upload your resume to ensure it's upto the mark. Quantify your accomplishments and showcase the results of your work. Find resume books of students at b-schools and model your resume on the acceptable format. Recommendations are another critical component that need be tackled early on. Connect with your recommenders and remind them again of your accomplishments, career growth and leadership potential before they put pen to paper. Send your recommenders a short summary of your successes, and even failures, so that they can portray you as accurately as is possible.

As a software tester I learnt the art of exploratory testing - explore a system, analyze results and create a plan of attack based on information gleaned. In a similar vein, the MBA process needs to be structured and explored because your time is finite and in order to get the best ROI on your effort it's important to address the areas that need the most improvement.

Best of luck!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for participating in UCLA Admissions chat on Thursday. It was a very nice session with many great questions and insightful answers to them by Jessica and James. Here are select Q&As from the chat. If anyone wants the read complete chat transcript, the same is attached to this post.

Good Luck to everyone applying to UCLA this year!!

Both Rounds 1 and 2 are pretty equal in terms of selectivity, including for merit fellowships. Applicants are looked at holistically much like when we're making admission decisions, and award amounts also depend on the strength of your application compared to the rest of our admitted students. – Jessica Chung, Associate Director of Admissions at UCLA

There are a lot of students that go into entertainment and sports, and that one of the beauties of going to a school located in LA. However, the career interests of the students are very diverse, which is one of the reasons I decided to attend Anderson. A large portion of my class has gone into tech and is working the Bay Area. There are plenty in more traditional route like Investment Banking and Consulting. I really feel like the career interests of the students at Anderson are much more diverse than your typical top-MBA program – James Huntington, Current UCLA FT MBA Student (Class of 2016)

FurrowedBrow: Hi Jessica. What advice do you have for re-applicants?

Jessica_UCLA: Re-applicants are considered in the context of the application pool in the year you reapply, however, we want to see growth and development, both professionally and personally, in your reapplication. Any updated test scores or academic info is also helpful if you retook tests or classes.

pter233: How much weight is put on the GMAT? Is it possible to be admitted if you have an average GPA, say 3.0, but a very good GMAT score?

Jessica_UCLA: Remember most schools evaluate MBA applications holistically, so while a strong GMAT can help make your more competitive, it's not the only metric we consider. GMAT and test scores are looked at to understand your academic potential in the classroom so a stronger GMAT can help balance a lower GPA, or vice versa.

Delamax: To write recommendation, besides direct supervisor at work (who is clearly ‘must-have’), is it OK to ask a peer who is well acquainted with me and has been my mentor at college extracurricular activities? Or it is better to approach a senior colleague, either current or former, instead of peer? Thank you

Jessica_UCLA: I wrote an entire blog post on recommendation letters! See https://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/mba_a ... tips-.html. We prefer someone who worked with you in a supervisory capacity since these individuals can provide more depth and detailed answers to our questions.

KS15: Hello, Is TOEFL mandatory for Indian candidates even if undergrad has been completed in English?

Jessica_UCLA: Yes the TOEFL is mandatory for applicants educated in India for this application year.

Sumit124431: Thank you James for being here. My question is why should we prefer UCLA over others business school?

James_UCLA: Sumit, that's a great questions. A lot of that depends on what you are looking to get out of your MBA. What I can say is that for me, I wanted a school with a tight-knit student community, a fantastic career center, and would allow me to switch careers. Attending Anderson has allowed me to enjoy and do all of those things.

Yash: Hi Jessica, Is second mba a red flag for applying at UCLA?

Jessica_UCLA: UCLA normally does not allow applicants with an MBA to do another MBA here, but we would need to look at your transcript and your courses to determine if there is a significant difference between your MBA and our program.

Delamax: Could you please comment on the dates of interviews with round 1 applicant? I believe that for many international folks like me, it is important to organize all the visa and logistics issues in advance

Jessica_UCLA: Our Round deadlines moved up slightly this year so I anticipate R1 interview invites will start going out about a week after the deadline and continue until a few weeks before the R1 decision release day.

@IndoMBA: Hi Jessica & James! Thank you for this opportunity.. I have several questions if it’s okay.. 1) Post-Collegiate Activities.. Some B-schools require applicants to have community/social activities after graduation from college. How important is this for UCLA Admission? If I don't have any, do I have to start to do some in order to be able to get into UCLA?

James_UCLA: Hi indoMBA, I can let Jessica answer from an Admissions perspective, but I will also add my opinion. I think it's important to show that you have passion for things outside of work. Don't just work of a charity to check off a box on your application, people will be able to see right through that. I am sure you are already doing something that you are passionate about that. Figure out a way to focus in on that as your extracurricular. It can be volunteering or it could be music. Just show passion and personality.

gmatyogi: Would you like us to convert our local GPAs and send it over? My college is very competitive and our avg CGPA is less than other colleges around?

Jessica_UCLA: No need to convert your marks to a 4.0 scale. In fact, we explicitly ask applicants not to do that since we have the expertise to evaluate transcripts from around the world.

@IndoMBA: UCLA Anderson is distinguished by 3 defining principles: Share Success, Think Fearlessly, and Drive Change. Can you tell me more about these principles? How are these principles embedded and applied in day-to-day activities at UCLA?

Jessica_UCLA: Those principles really describe the student culture at Anderson, especially Shared Success. Students here are extremely supportive and collaborative. I know that may sound cliché, but it's true. It's something that is very important to the student body and something we want to see continue. Culture is important and that is one of the main reasons why most of the admissions interviews are done by students. We are the closest to the culture and we want student that get admitted and ultimately attend to perpetuate that culture

tarunktuteja: Can you please tell me whether Round 2 is more competitive in terms of scholarships? Does a high GMAT score but an average GPA helps in scholarship

Jessica_UCLA: Both Rounds 1 and 2 are pretty equal in terms of selectivity, including for merit fellowships. Applicants are looked at holistically much like when we're making admission decisions, and award amounts also depend on the strength of your application compared to the rest of our admitted students.

gmatyogi: I've heard from people that most of the candidates at UCLA move towards marketing especially work with Hollywood and applicants are chosen accordingly. Is it a standard practice or a stereotype which ppl associate with UCLA?

Jessica_UCLA: There are a lot of students that go into entertainment and sports, and that one of the beauties of going to a school located in LA. However, the career interests of the students are very diverse, which is one of the reasons I decided to attend Anderson. A large portion of my class has gone into tech and is working the Bay Area. There are plenty in more traditional route like Investment Banking and Consulting. I really feel like the career interests of the students at Anderson are much more diverse than your typical top-MBA program

Delamax: Jessica, you’ve mentioned optional essay a couple of times today, could you please clarify – is this essay is intended only for ‘extenuating circumstances’ (like low GPA or inability to ask reference from direct supervisors) or we can talk about good important things as well that just didn’t find their space at required essay?

Jessica_UCLA: The optional essay shouldn't be used as extra space to answer the question in our required essay. It's there to address those extenuating circumstances or to provide more context/explanation for items in your application that could cause the adcoms to raise questions.

TC344: Hi Jessica, how does the admissions committee view the GRE vs GMAT? Is the GRE looked upon much less favorably? Also, do you have strict requirements to keep our resumes to one page, even if we have a lot of work experience?

Jessica_UCLA: TC344, we accept both the GMAT and the GRE. Both are considered equally, though GMAT takers far exceed GRE takers among applications so far. For resumes, I highly suggest keeping it to 1-2 pages max.

manavkhurana: Is every student required to complete an AMR project in the second year, or do you apply for the program?

James_UCLA: Every student is required to complete an AMR project or equivalent. There is the Business Creation Option (BCO) that would fulfill the AMR requirement as well. For those interested in investment management, if you are part of the Student Investment Fund, that would fulfill your AMR requirement.

gmatyogi: Would you recommend taking online courses on Coursera or Udacity to fill gaps for a low GPA?

Jessica_UCLA: If you take additional courses, I would suggest it be through a community college, extension program or university that issues an official transcript with letter grade. Without these, we can't really evaluate how you did in these classes and consider them as part of your overall academics.

Delamax: Could you please comment on accommodation policy – how many students receive accommodation at campus and what is the process of getting a living place (lottery?), especially for those with spouses and children? Thank you

James_UCLA: I can speak to that a bit, but I would recommend checking out the housing info on the Anderson site. All the Anderson students I know that have children that wanted to live in university owned housing do. I have 3 kids myself and we live in University Village. It's a great community and environment for children.

gmatyogi: Does the admissions committee check the online presence of the candidate such as linkedin, instagram, twitter, blogs etc. and give weightage to a good social presence?

Jessica_UCLA: Sometimes we'll look at candidate's online presence but honestly we are so busy it's not always possible. However, I will say anything online that's public might be seen by us, so be mindful of that!

James_UCLA: I would also carefully look at your online presence for when you are recruiting for internships and a full-time job once you are in b-school. It's important to manage your personal brand beyond just an MBA admissions perspective

@ChintanDave: Is the Eli Lilly Credit union loan facility, mentioned on the website available to all international students?

Jessica_UCLA: Yes the Eli Lilly loan is available for all international students as long as you meet their requirements. I suggest speaking with our financial aid office for details. Financial Aid contact ----> Andy Promsiri andy.promsiri@anderson.ucla.edu

entertainmentjunkie: I know that MBA programs highly consider applicant's leadership experience; however, what advice do you have for someone who doesn’t exactly have the leadership experience at work but wants to earn an MBA to advance higher in their career? Would they still be encouraged to apply or wait a few more years?

Jessica_UCLA: I think that's a good question and you really need to consider your readiness for b-school at this point in your career. Talk to current students, alumni, colleagues, etc. and they can provide some insight on why they chose an MBA at that particular point in their careers. If possible try to seek out opportunities to develop your leadership skills, if not at work then in XCs or other activities.

James_UCLA: Just to add to Jessica's comments, leadership doesn't always just come in the form of managing teams. Think of project or initiatives you have lead. Leadership is about driving change, not just being in charge of people

pter233: Do all accepted applicants get some sort of scholarship to help with the cost of tuition? If so, what would you say is the average amount awarded to each admitted applicant?

Jessica_UCLA: Not all admits receive merit fellowships but this year more than half our students received some level of fellowship. Amounts range from 25k to full tuition, depending on the strength of your overall app.

razakradityo: Current UCLA's GMAT score is ranging from 680 to 750. I haven't taken GMAT, but what if my score is below 680? Is it better to retake the GMAT? Or can I compensate the low GMAT score with anything else?

Jessica_UCLA: As far as retaking the GMAT, it's ultimately a personal decision, but if you can retake the test and your score is below the 80% range, I would suggest doing so if you think you can raise your score.

snehak85: How important is age a factor in considering an applicant?

Jessica_UCLA: we do not consider age as part of the evaluation process.

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
UCLA Admissions Chat 20th August 15.pdf [1.08 MiB]
Downloaded 49 times
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: First Impressions of LA
Finally- the first blog post actually from Westwood! We arrived late Sunday night and spent this week getting settled in to our apartment (ie. building hordes of IKEA furniture). Here are some of my first impressions of LA: 

Anderson people KNOW their social media:

Before I came to LA, I thought I was hip to the tech scene because I used Google Drive. How foolish and naive of me! I can barely count all the different ways Anderson 2017 people communicate, socialize, and organize events with one another: GroupMe, Slack, https://gmatclub.com/chat, Facebook groups (probably missing a couple other platforms here). Section assignments and fall class schedules were released late this afternoon via email and within seconds the Anderson 2017 GroupMe was blowing up my phone with classmates announcing their sections and talking trash about the best section (clearly Section B- so step off, Jordan Stone from Section E whoever you are). 

Take advantage of the days before orientation starts:

Before we continue any further, let me just say that I'm an introvert. I spent the majority of my undergrad freshman orientation week squirreled away in my dorm room with the shades drawn playing online poker. And not going to lie- I enjoyed it thoroughly.

But honestly, any academic on-campus experience is at its essence about the people you meet and the relationships you build. Not taking the time to get to know my neighbors, classmates, and hallmates really set me back a ton in me getting the full college experience, and I was determined not to repeat my mistakes this time around for business school. The days and weeks before Anderson orientation starts provide ample opportunity to get to know your classmates. I would hardly say I'm a social butterfly, but I'm planning on attending / have attended a social Anderson event each day since I finished setting up IKEA furniture:

- meeting up with a group of 6-7 Anderson people at Philly West for a beer Wednesday night

- spending today at Six Flags with a group of 15 classmates and significant others and then getting ramen on Sawtelle Boulevard. Thanks Angela for organizing such a great trip and to Sicong for driving! We all learned that Andry has the ultimate selfie stick (ask him when you meet him) and that Ean and Natasha know a thing or two about cross-continental road trips. Check out this group of photogenic characters to the right at the end of a long day of riding roller coasters (also happy birthday Lucia!):

- going hiking at Sandstone Peak for an Anderson pre-orientation day trip on Saturday

- heading to Qs on Wilshere Saturday night for a meet-and-greet with more Anderson 2017 people

Indeed, if there's one thing you learn as a teacher (or any professional job for that matter), it's that a vast amount of your effectiveness as a professional depends on your ability to make and sustain meaningful relationships with the network of people around you.

The middle of America is absolutely underrated: 

We traveled through Nebraska, Iowa, and Utah on the way to California, and all three states feature breathtaking landscapes and the nicest people you will ever meet:

Looking at Ghost Rock at a rest stop in Utah. I mean seriously, this is the view from a rest stop. Imagine what it's like in a national park!

A rain shower and partial dust storm in Nebraska.

LA drivers are just as crazy as their NYC and Massachusetts counterparts:

Only with less honking. But with an equal disdain for turn signals- there, I said it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: The Gift of Taking Time
Quick Prelude:

What a two years it has been! It's a pleasure to be back on the UCLA Anderson blog, sharing my experiences as a bookend to my blogging days from summer 2013. I look forward to staying connecting over the next year as a I track my progress as an Anderson alumni in year one (now officially a #doubleBruin!).

#

When I accepted my offer from Deloitte Consulting last year, I considered all three start date options. July seemed awfully early, with just over one month’s rest between school and work. September would give me an entire summer off to rest and travel. The other option was quite far away - February.

But when in my life would I ever again be able to take six months, with relatively few responsibilities and a supportive partner with a stable career, and know I had a secure, well-paying job at the end? Maybe never. So, I asked to start in February.

Reactions from classmates range from Are you crazy? to What are you going to do with that time? Most alumni think I am genius. That is SUCH a good idea. Or, Why didn’t I do that?

Originally, I chose the latest date to give my fiancé and I more flexibility to have our wedding in the months after graduation. Yet, beyond that, the decision was fairly simple. The opportunity to take a seven month sabbatical was a gift I had to accept. My time in business school was purposefully intense. Perhaps my biggest talent is keeping busy (closely followed by saying “yes” and making to-do lists). I knew that if I gave myself permission to pause after graduation, I would challenge myself even more up to that point. Rather than succumbing to senioritis, I would sprint to the finish line.

My last two quarters at Anderson, I built some of my closest relationships, excelled academically while unnecessarily overloading my class schedule, and made significant impact on the UCLA and Anderson communities through my student leadership positions. I made a difference. I learned more. I liked school more. I was happier because I pushed myself.

I also decided to wait until February because I knew the importance of taking time. Since graduation, I have invested in my physical, mental and emotional health. I have taken the time to process my business school journey and contemplate my goals today and my steps for tomorrow - with friends, family and in my head. In the long-run, my time as an MBA student will be better spent for the opportunity I have to understand what I’ve learned, how I’ve changed and where I hope to go next.

I am often asked how I am filling that time. In addition to joining several nonprofit boards, I have been doing other volunteer work, am working to start my own small social enterprise. I attended a leadership summit for LGBT leaders in New York. I have caught up with many friends, caught up on a bit of television I skipped over the past two years, re-organized my physical and digital life, and have been giving myself permission to focus on me. My partner and I spent several weeks traveling, with another trip on the horizon. Oh, yes, and it’s finally time to plan that wedding after a two-year engagement.

I have many more plans - some big, small small. Projects, favors, and catch-ups with friends, and a map for self improvement. I am keeping an open mind to opportunities that may arise over the next few months. And I accept already that after seven months, there will still be more that I wanted to do.

Yet, when I begin at Deloitte in February, not only will I have the tools I need to succeed from the two incredible years I spent at UCLA Anderson, I will be ready. Ready to go back to work. Ready for the intensity that management consulting brings. Ready to start the next chapter.

Until then, I am taking my time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: 17000 miles worth of goodbyes...and hellos!
I am finally home. After nearly 2 months worth of travelling, hellos and goodbyes, and new beginnings, I am back to square one writing my first blog post and waiting for the next big leap over the pacific.

I am Arindam Das; a Class of 2017 MBA Candidate at UCLA Anderson School of Management from India. I had been working with a steel giant in the country for 4 years until I decided to pursue ‘the experience’. I have been in touch with a number of fellow Bruins and am so looking forward to meeting everyone that my eyes might just pop out like The Mask. But, jokes apart, it has been a nice experience knowing the fellow admits already and I cannot wait to meet the others.

MBA certainly is not a walk in the park...the months leading up to it aren't either. I am just listing a few things I have been up to:

1. Getting the Visa: Starting from streamlining the funding for MBA, waiting for i20 to interviewing etc. I am pretty sure I lost a few pounds until I had my Visa in my hands.

But wait there’s more...

2. Going through the accommodation options: The debate of university housing vs off-campus living went on for ages until I gave up and opted for university housing. The rooms are allotted according to lottery results, (and I did not get through in the first round.OUCH!), and then you start looking for room-mates. If you are too lazy to find one, UCLA matches room-mates randomly. I will share my 2/2 apartment with an Economics PhD candidate. How ‘bout that!!!

3. Facing the family: If you have any idea about Indian families you would know about the Bollywood-style emotional stockpile any parent possesses. No actually they are like the Zeus waiting to use his ultimate weapon. I am pretty sure the time has come when my family will say...

4. Saying goodbyes and many hellos: The next few years will be a blitzkrieg. I figured I will travel and meet my friends before I leave, and so I did! 17000+ miles!!! Thrown among those was the UCLA India Admit Trip (covered in previous blog posts :D) and it turned out to be the best 3-day outing ever.

5. Shopping, packing and delivering: The shopping
list is a magical thing; each time you look over it there’s still one item left. Whaaaaat! Now packing all that in 2-3 bags is WAR! Additionally, UCLA Anderson keeps the incoming class on its toes through a series of pre-MBA deliverables, Parker CMC sessions and webinars etc. I have had my hands full and my fingers crossed the whole time.

So, my MBA journey has begun; taken off actually, and I am lovin’ it. In just under 10 days I will be in LA. The big question is...what’s neXt?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM NewsUCLA: Asia Recruiting 2015 -- 3 cities down, 4 to go
Ni hao from Beijing! I'm halfway through my Asia recruiting trip for this year and want to share some of my experiences with you.

My first stop was Tokyo. While in Tokyo, we co-hosted an information session with UCLA Anderson alumni, held a school presentation and participated in an MBA fair organized by the MBA Tour. I'm not able to participate in the information session every year due to scheduling conflicts, but when I do, I'm always pleasantly surprised by the large number of alumni who participate -- there were 15 this year! Did I also mention that our alumni volunteer to host this event every year regardless of whether or not an admissions officer can attend? The fact that our alumni take time out of their busy lives to host events like this, speaks to how strongly they feel about being a part of the UCLA Anderson community. We're very fortunate to have such strong and dedicated alumni around the world. The information session was a great success and so were the MBA Tour events.

Our 15 alumni at the Tokyo information session.

Taipei was stop number two. As in Tokyo, in Taipei we hosted a school presentation and participated in an MBA fair. Both events were well attended and I enjoyed getting to meet solid candidates; but I definitely could not have managed all of the interest without the assistance of the alumni who came out to help. The difference between the first two cities was that while I had a little time to explore Tokyo, our stop in Taipei lasted less than 48 hours. However, I still managed to enjoy soup dumplings at the original Din Tai Fung -- yum, yum! If you haven't tried them, I highly recommend that you do. If you can't make it to Asia, where the majority of Din Tai Fung restaurants are located, you should visit one of the three Din Tai Funglocations in the greater Los Angeles area -- one of the perks of living in such a diverse city!

The third stop was Seoul. This was another quick but successful visit. We once again hosted a school presentation and participated in an MBA fair. In addition to sharing a lot of information about UCLA Anderson, I also managed to make the attendees of our school presentation laugh. They were quite amused when I mentioned that I have been told that restaurants in LA's Koreatown ("K-Town"), match, if not surpass, restaurants in Seoul. While I can see this as being true considering that the greater Los Angeles area is home to the largest number of Koreans outside of Korea, I invited them to visit "K-Town" to judge for themselves.

Although I continued on to Beijing after the Seoul MBA Tour events, I will be heading back to Seoul next week for a school information session on the 10th. If you'll be in Seoul on Sept. 10th, and you'd like to learn more about our full-time MBA program, feel free to register for the information session on our events page.

Now it's time for me to get ready for the MBA Tour events that will take place tonight in Beijing. I'll tell you all about the other half of my Asia recruiting trip in my next blog. Zai jian...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Alumni POV: New Markets & Perspectives

from Faizaan Ghauri on Vimeo.

If a friend mentioned his upcoming travel to Pakistan, what would your first thought be? Was it of Lahore's booming tech sector? If not, read on! I have news for you. 

Why Did I Go? 

Thanks to the UCLA Anderson network, I've expanded my circle with impressive people driving change around the world. Through an advisory engagement conceptualized with Anderson classmate, Faizaan Ghauri, I had the opportunity to visit Lahore, Pakistan. Why, you ask? 

Well, as the world's 6th most populous nation, Pakistan is disproportionately young in genpop and on the verge of a 3G/4G adoption boom. Passionate about emerging markets, I was thrilled by the chance to travel there! 

Faizaan's family plays a foundational role burgeoning Pakistan's tech sector. Faizaan joined the family business, launching his own startups and incubator while accelerating the company's global expansion. Through their wonderful hospitality and industry access, I met pioneers and entrepreneurial trailblazers in the country's tech community. Their products are viable and it was inspiring to work with Faizaan to strategize around these new divisions of his business. 

Judging Faizaan's Throw-a-Thon, one of the largest hackathons in Pakistan, was a blast. Yet, mentoring its participants was even more fascinating. These impressive entrepreneurs are melding their unique culture into solutions that solve local problems with 10X value and efficiency. I had a front row seat to observe these brilliant minds create innovative technologies, which are generating superior financial returns while fortifying a talent corridor between the East & West. 

What Did I Bring Back? 

With new adventure comes new perspective. And this experience was no different. 

Leading up to the trip I lost count of how many friends and family warned, "keep a low profile" and "be careful" because "you'll stand out as an American." I recognized the area's current instability validates their concern; but keeping a low profile didn't last long once the largest Pakistani newspaper advertised the Throw-a-Thon and published our names

The attention, however, did not prove hazardous. 

Most whom I discussed the trip with found me assuring them the positives outweighed the concerns. Yet most advice I received was filled with apprehension. Not once did I hear, "take this opportunity to develop a better understanding of their culture," or the like. 

I don't blame the skeptics. Sensationalized by the media, the region scares people. That's tragic because Pakistan offers greenfield opportunity and an ocean of untapped talent. Young, bright engineers are hungry to work on groundbreaking products. From new video games that bring relief to sufferers of cerebral palsy to apps that educate local farmers and increase their yield quality, I saw Pakistan's tech leveraged in powerful ways. 

If I played it safe, however, I'd never have seen what they could offer. I realized fear of the unfamiliar is hindering us from learning more and even capitalizing on emerging markets. 

Now I witness firsthand how shortsighted fear, including my own, encumbers long-term maturation, intellectual well-roundedness, and globalization. It's causing firm divisions in our cognitive and emotional dispositions, which shape our preconceptions of others. The fear I have is that we are still quite unconscious of our own prejudices. 

If this sounds too abstract, think of it this way. Do you double take when women in black burkas walk by? Does your arm hair stand up with the sound of Islamic prayer hymns (often the score music of American war movies)? Now, take inventory of your feelings. Do you feel a bit sensitive or uncomfortable? Are you anxious for any reason? Ask yourself...why am I feeling this way? Why am I anxious given there's no immediate danger? Fear, once again causes a misjudgment of our surroundings. 

Diversity Now

All too often, diversity becomes a buzzword. The unfortunate consequence for many organizations is that the efficacy of diversity efforts does not achieve intended goals. True diversity isn't a simple balance of ethnic and gender demographics in an organization. Embodying diversity means understanding. It means developing a new humanity toward underrepresented points of view and culture. Without the aforementioned change in personal character, we risk our organizations being perceived as pandering to the media at best, or having an insufficient internal cultural change at worst. 

As I begin my post-Anderson career at Google, my Pakistan experience will be top of mind. Silicon Valley is undergoing its own evolution in diversity, most recently embodied by initiatives like #ilooklikeanengineer. Pakistan is a frontier with not only unrealized economic opportunity, but also a platform for progressive cross-cultural understanding. 

We have an opportunity, as the more economically mature market, to champion their talent and forge partnerships in these corridors. For those who fear we are losing our leadership position internationally, this is how we regain it! While it won't be easy, we have all the resources waiting at our fingertips. 

This is the call of my generation. Truth is, if we don't pursue a more prosperous world through greater unity...then who will?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.85
WE:Underwriter (Real Estate)
Send PM
Applying for R1 right now.

Is anyone else having trouble filling out their clubs and activities section? The text box to include descriptions of your involvement only allows like 50 characters... Is that true for everyone or am I just going crazy here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: And so it begins

Tomorrow is the first day of orientation and I am still recovering from a Vegas trip organized by Anderson students with about 50 or so students in attendance. I hope that tomorrow I am not the guy in the picture above.

In the past two weeks I have travelled 8500 miles from India, moved all my stuff into boxes, shipped my 10 year old car across 4 states, fought with my movers on multiple occasions, rejoiced after touring my new apartment, hiked the Sandstone peak on a pre-orientation trip with students, attended happy your events with my classmates, experienced anxiety over my summer deliverables and worked through 40 pages of assigned readings not including 3 "optional" books. All this and school isn't even in session.

Last Friday was also international orientation, a full day of cultural onboarding solely for international students. The event gave us an overview of all the resources available on campus to us. For instance, the UCLA recreation facilities provides a gamut of facilities such as the graduate only Kinross gym, the Wooden center of recreation, and a new 14,000 square feet fitness center set to open this fall. The Dashew center for international students makes sure that students feel at home by hosting events that include LA bus tours, speed dating for internationals, food festivals and more. There are plenty of spots to eat on campus but most Anderson students usually limit themselves to the Il Tram cafe, centrally located in the Anderson courtyard and that serves an exceptional Chicken special sandwich. In summary, UCLA is pretty much a small town onto itself. 

The event ended with roundtables which were intended to mix-up the students and give everyone a chance to network with each other. We also had student panelists address the gathering and share their insights on recruiting and how to land that elusive full time job offer at companies such as BcG, Mattel, Microsoft and more. Our work is cut out for us and the key to success is to continue following the advice of our Parker Career center advisors who continue to work closely with us making sure we progress along the career search process.

No one told us it was going to be easy and going into orientation I can feel the pace quickening. We are expected to stay on top of things regardless of how the week progresses. We are already juggling multiple priorities and need to flex our time management skills constantly. The only way to keep up with all the activity is to prioritize your work. Anderson has so much going on at any given time that you could miss it if you blink. 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM