GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 03:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2015, 21:35
etch1516 wrote:
Received an invite before 2 hrs.

etch1516 Awesum man. You rock! :-D
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Internet and New Media)
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 10:18
People who received invites, what was the date range for the interviews?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Anderson '18 (M)

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 10:20
Trdmba wrote:
People who received invites, what was the date range for the interviews?

For me, it extended till 17th Nov. I think those dates will get shifted further as and when more invites are rolled out.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.43
WE: Operations (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 10:22
schsh1988 wrote:
Received an invite today a little before 8pm ET.

For anyone in the know, there's really no difference or bias between an on-campus interview and a skype interview. Right?

Good luck everyone!

If you can make it to campus, it's great, because you will get a really good feel for the Anderson culture. That being said, in terms of how you are evaluated, there is no difference between Skype an interviewing in-person. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 10:24
Thanks!!! Were there a lot of empty spots or was it mostly filled?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 10:26
Trdmba wrote:

Lot of them empty!!!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 10:32
etch1516 wrote:
Trdmba wrote:

Lot of them empty!!!

Thanks!

So i guess there are still invites on the way. sure hope so...

I submitted already on September 18, maybe it was a mistake :/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2015, 14:01
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Mentors + New Job
Let's talk about mentors.  I'm a big proponent of hustling and carving your own way, but I'm also a huge advocate for cultivating mentor relationships.  I like to think of my life as a garden, and while I ultimately get to decide which seeds to plant, mentors have given me invaluable advice on how to achieve the tastiest vegetables.

Pictured above are two of my mentors, Jen and Paula, at an Anderson x Disney mixer we helped co-host.  They're both Anderson alumni and current Disney cast members who have helped shape my career into what it is today.

Jen: Jen entered my life while I was only a first year and she's been an amazing mentor and friend.  She helped me secure my internship and resulting full-time job, gave me advice on how to navigate the landscape here at Disney, and it's been great to see how our relationship has developed.  I'm extremely grateful to have her as a part of my circle, and we still regularly meet for happy hour or lunches.

Paula: Paula is a VP at DI Media and we were paired up when I first started.  Sometimes paired mentor relationships can fizzle out, but we're actually very compatible, and she's given me everything from emotional guidance to great pieces of advice.  One of the earliest (but one of the most impactful) nuggets of wisdom she gave me was when she told me to fly up to SF to visit the LucasFilm team.  I was new and hesitant to spend money on Travel & Expenses.  However, I took her advice, and that face time with the team was crucial in establishing my relationship with them and it lead to an easier working relationship down the line.

Some Advice: People often ask me for advice about how to maintain a strong mentor relationship, and I would say that the most important thing to remember is that mentoring is a two-way street- you have to invest in the relationship as well.  And, I really encourage that you pay it forward and mentor others as well.

New Job: Speaking of mentors, they've been so important to my career so far, and they're how I was recently able to make the jump to a new position at DI Media.  I know it's only been 7-8 months at Disney full-time, but I couldn't resist when it was offered to me!  As my new role, I'll be the Chief of Staff to the SVP of DI Media, focusing on strategy and brand.  Basically, I get to run around and do special projects for our business unit.  I'll definitely keep you all posted on how it goes, but I'm excited!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 02:27
FurrowedBrow wrote:
Does anyone know what the process is for reapplicants? I applied in Round 2 last year and I was interviewed as well. Unfortunately though, I was waitlisted in Round 2 and then again in Round 3. l only got off the waitlist in August (the waiting wasn't fun at all as you can imagine). In any case, I applied again in Round 1 this year and I realized that I'm not sure how the whole interview thing works for reapplicants. Does Anderson re-interview reapplicants?

One of my friends is a reapplicant and received interview invitation yesterday
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 02:33
I have 23 in writing section on my TOEFL. Is that why I'm not getting interview invitation?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 02:36
ambarisha wrote:
I have 23 in writing section on my TOEFL. Is that why I'm not getting interview invitation?

From the UCLA Graduate Admissions website:

Minimum IELTS & TOEFL Scores
Your IELTS overall band score should be at least 7.0. 7.0 is the minimum required.

Your TOEFL score on the paper and pencil test must be at least 560 or at least 87 on the internet-based test. These scores represent the minimum required for applicants to graduate programs at UCLA. Some of our majors may require higher scores as noted in Departmental Information.

For the internet-based TOEFL (TOEFL iBT), the following are the minimum scores for each section:

Writing: 25
Speaking: 24
Reading: 21
Listening: 17
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 02:40
ambarisha wrote:

That's helpful, thanks! Was your friend interviewed last year?
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 02:42
samriddhi320 wrote:
ambarisha wrote:

Your IELTS overall band score should be at least 7.0. 7.0 is the minimum required.

Your TOEFL score on the paper and pencil test must be at least 560 or at least 87 on the internet-based test. These scores represent the minimum required for applicants to graduate programs at UCLA. Some of our majors may require higher scores as noted in Departmental Information.

For the internet-based TOEFL (TOEFL iBT), the following are the minimum scores for each section:

Yes I saw that. That's why I asked. What should I do? I've 42 on GMAT verbal. Can I play on that?
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 02:44
FurrowedBrow wrote:
ambarisha wrote:

That's helpful, thanks! Was your friend interviewed last year?

Yes.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 02:47
ambarisha wrote:
samriddhi320 wrote:
ambarisha wrote:

Yes I saw that. That's why I asked. What should I do? I've 42 on GMAT verbal. Can I play on that?

I am not quite sure how they look at it. Your verbal score certainly gives you the benefit of doubt, and you should probably just check with the adcom about it. Your profile says you're based in the US, did you still need to take the TOEFL?
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 03:03
samriddhi320 wrote:
ambarisha wrote:
samriddhi320 wrote:

I am not quite sure how they look at it. Your verbal score certainly gives you the benefit of doubt, and you should probably just check with the adcom about it. Your profile says you're based in the US, did you still need to take the TOEFL?

Oh that's because I never realized that I needed to change my location!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2015, 16:07
Here is summary of the chat we had with UCLA Admission director - Jessica Chung - and current students - James, Tiffany, and Avani - recently on GMAT Club. Those who want to view full chat transcript can download it from this post. Good luck!

Hi Jesscia, how long does it usually take to hear from you regarding interviews after submitting my application?

UCLA_Jessica: We have started sending interview invites for R1 applicants and anticipate most going out until about mid-November.

Hi Jessica, can you please tell us, if it is not confidential, what percentage of the 1st round invites was sent?

UCLA_Jessica: I don't know the exact percentage but we just started sending invites out last week so plenty more should be going out in the coming weeks.

Hi Jessica, Does Anderson give any special preference to those having work ex in Government Sector?

UCLA_Jessica: When it comes to crafting the class, we want to put together a diverse group who will enhance the learning environment for all. So coming from the government sector would certainly bring an interesting perspective, but ultimately your application needs to be competitive and well rounded to be a top applicant.

Can students interested in Entrepreneurship concentrations look for career opportunities in Marketing roles.

UCLA_James: Great question! There are many students interested in Entrepreneurship as well as other functions. Many will do academic internships at startups to gain entrepreneurial experience and then do summer internships in the functions they are interested in. You are definitely not limited by a concentration that you choose. From the academic side, you can take any type of elective you want. You are not forced to choose a concentration, or to only take classes within that concentration.

We are allowed to bring hard copies of required documents (ie transcripts, score reports, etc.) to our interview appointment correct?

UCLA_Jessica: Yes, in your interview invitation there is also a list of required documents that you will need to submit. Either via mail or in person is fine.

Hi James, could you please elaborate on 'academic internships’? Are these taken along with coursework or does Anderson facilitate this through experiential courses?

UCLA_James: Academic internship are part-time internships student do during the school year that are either paid or are for course credit. I am currently internship at Little Tikes toys and usually work 15 to 25 hours per week. This has been a great way to continue building my resume beyond just my summer internship. For career switchers, the academic internship opportunities are a huge help in being able to be successful in making the career transition

[b]JAMES, along with brio's question, please can you add on more about Industry Mentors at Easton?[/b]

UCLA_James: The various professional clubs, including the Easton Technology Leadership Program, offer mentorship opportunities for students. It's a great program and offers us an opportunity to develop relationships with individuals with deep industry experience. They give great career advice and are a huge benefit to students.

Any advice on how to prep for the interview?

UCLA_Jessica: We have a blog post on interview tips - http://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/mba_a ... rview.html

UCLA_Tiffany: What I did to prepare was go through the interview recap posts on GMATclub for previous rounds. I compiled a list of all of the questions that were posted, sorted them into categories, and then put together a list of questions and asked a friend to conduct a mock interview with me. I scheduled the mock two days before my actual interview so that I would be fresh for the interview but there wasn't too much time in between for me to start freaking out and over-preparing.

Hi Jessica and UCLA team, will a job hopping profile hurt our chance to get accepted?

UCLA_Jessica: Depends on the context of why you switched jobs numerous times. The optional essay could be a good place to address your work history if you had multiple jobs in a short timeframe.

Are there any live environmentally conscious projects happening on campus of UCLA at the moment? Is there a possibility of initiating a clean energy projects with collaborations from Engineering departments while studying.

UCLA_James: There are a lot of environment related projects going around campus. There are plenty of opportunities to partner with people and organizations outside of Anderson to take part in those projects.

Is it safe to assume that the 2nd yr student interviewing us will NOT have looked at our application, essay, etc?

UCLA_Jessica: Correct, it's unlikely the interviewer has seen anything aside from your resume, which we provide to the interviewer in advance.

Could you please inform us about healthcare related opportunities in UCLA?

UCLA_James: I actually interned at a healthcare tech company this summer, and my Applied Management Research project (the 2nd-year consulting project) is with on of the largest public hospital systems in the US. Companies like Amgen recruit on-campus. Several of my classmates went to work in healthcare as well. We had one person at Flextronics and several doing healthcare consulting

UCLA_Avani: To add to James' response- we also have a very active student run professional club- the Healthcare Business Association which organizes several on-campus recruiting events with the Career Center. The HBA also hosts an annual Healthcare Conference which is another great opportunity for students interested in Healthcare.

Are the recommendation letters supposed to be submitted before the application deadline?

UCLA_Jessica: we can give a few days grace period after the round deadline to receive your recommendation letters, but if an app is incomplete more than a few weeks past the deadline, it will be moved to the next round for consideration.

James/Avani/Tiffany: How competitive or collaborative have you found your fellow students during your time at Anderson.

UCLA_Avani: Share success is definitely real here; everyone supports and helps one another out. At the same time, everyone is extremely bright and so there is a degree of competition, but it's not in a hindering way.

Regarding the second-year student interviews, will there be any correlation between your intended area of concentration and that of your interviewer? Or will it be completely random?

UCLA_Jessica: Your interviewer could be one of any of our interviewers, just depends on who happened to be available for that particular interview slot. But, all of our interviewers are trained and have strong understanding of the program, curriculum, XCs, career resources, etc. so regardless of who you speak with they will be able to answer your questions.

UCLA_James: Your interviewer may or may not be in your field of interest. However, I would prepare for the interview like they were. If they are not, and you have questions for them, they are generally very knowledgeable and will be able to answer. If they can't they should be able to introduce you or point you in the direction of where you can get your answer.

Is it true that certain applications are rejected outright based on geographical locations, GMAT score, academic performance without even reading the essays?

UCLA_Jessica: Not sure where that rumor started, but it's absolutely not true. We read every single application from beginning to end, usually multiple times by different readers. It's a long process but one we feel is important!

UCLA_James: I just wanted to address something that may be a little confusing regarding the "tracks." Although we do have tracks and specializations at Anderson, by no means are you required to choose one. If you want to have a more general experience academically, you are free to craft your own list of courses. I personally am very interested in learn more about marketing, but I am also taking several classes outside of that area.

[b]current students : How often do you interact with professors outside classroom? How easy it is to do this?[/b]

UCLA_Tiffany: Professors all have office hours and are fairly easy to make appointments with if the office hours don't work with your schedule. I've found them to all be very approachable and invested in our academic experience.

Jessica, will all R1 applicants need to wait until Dec 15th or will we possibly know before that date on admission? Also, how accurate/current is the application status page?

UCLA_Jessica: At this time, I'm not sure if we will release any early decisions for R1 but we'll definitely post an update on our blog if we do so!

Could you please inform us about global presence of UCLA. How possible is it to find a job in Europe after receiving an MBA from UCLA?

UCLA_Jessica: UCLA Anderson is definitely a global brand, with alumni in every major city around the world. When it comes to recruiting for a job in Europe, it's certainly feasible but a lot of factors should be considered - country, industry, job function, etc. Networking and being proactive on searching for opportunities outside of traditional on-campus recruiting will also be important. Our Parker Career Management Center will be a tremendous resource throughout the job search process.

How is career switch viewed at Anderson? Since I'm currently working in banking sector and would like to move over to media and entertainment, I'd like to know if career switches are common amongst students.

UCLA_James: There are a ton of people at Anderson switching careers. Most switch at least industry or function. Some, like me, switch both. The key is to be able to find the relevant skills you have developed in your previous roles that can help you in your post-MBA role. The areas that you are lacking are what you will need to develop during school through you summer internship and possibly through academic internships.

The echo Jessica, Parker CMC is fantastic! I can't say enough of how big a help they have been with the whole internship/job search process. Parker CMC was recently ranked the #2 MBA Career Management Center by the Economist.

UCLA_Jessica: Much of the career search/prep process starts even before school begins, since recruiting for summer internships start almost immediately in the fall quarter.

James, can you please elaborate a bit more on the MEMES center?

UCLA_James: Here is a link to the MEMES center site, http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/centers/memes. But in short the center plays a huge role in determining what entertainment related courses to offer, getting guest speakers and companies to come to campus, etc. In talking about the various academic centers like Easton or MEMES, one thing that has been great about my experience is seeing how fast Anderson can create a new course with cutting edge and relevant content. It has been great! Last year I took a class taught by an ESPN marketing exec, which wasn't offered before. The Marketing department wanted to offer this course because of the changing landscape of TV advertising

Could you please describe what kind of fluency is required from candidates? Some candidates have never lived among native speakers of English. That is why, I am sure it worries many applicants.

UCLA_Jessica: Since all classes are conducted in English, we expect students to be able to participate and contribute in that environment. Demonstrating both written and verbal english communication skills are important because students are constantly working in groups, turning in assignments, giving presentations, etc. Also for non-native english speakers who plan to recruit for jobs in the US, english fluency will be important to present well to recruiters and companies.

During my recent campus visit there were several comments that anderson is moving up the program starting next year to better align with other MBA school recruiting timelines. Does this include both academic course load or is it primarily career and networking?

UCLA_Jessica: Thanks for mentioning this! Yes, we are planning move our start date to August, vs. September, for incoming 1st year students, to help you with the transition back to school and give you more time for career prep as well. We are still ironing out the details but once everything is finalized, we will let you know.

James, how is the scene with the various clubs at Anderson? Some like the surf club and wine club sound quite interesting. How has been your experience in being part of the clubs?

UCLA_James: There are more clubs at Anderson than I could ever imagine fully participating in. It has been great! The social/interest club has been a fun way to connect with other students in a non-typical b-school setting. The surf club has been a lot of fun. Even if you have never surfed before, you can join. We are actually having a surfing 101 day in a couple weeks! Another great benefit of Anderson, you can go to the beach in November!

[b]jessica Do you know how accurate or up to date the Applicant Status page is? I am just wondering as I sent my test scores almost three weeks ago[/b]

UCLA_Jessica: There's always a delay between the time test scores are sent to us and when we receive them, then upload the status in the application screen. If you don't have an update by next week please contact the admissions office.

Are there any opportunities/cross department courses to pick up foreign language?

UCLA_James: Students are able to take classes outside of Anderson. So if your interest is learning a foreign language, I am sure there is something you can do. That being said, Anderson has so many great course offerings, it may be hard to give up an elective for a non-Anderson class.

Chat Transcript
Attachment:
UCLA Admissions Chat 22nd October 15.pdf [1.31 MiB]
Downloaded 34 times
To download please login or register as a user

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 06:47
Any new invites?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas '18 (I)
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 13:06
Yes! Got an invite 2 days ago. Reapplicant. I chose the interview slot today; still a lot of spots. Located in California.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 14:01
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: How to Keep Up
During my first graduate program, at the Harvard Graduate School of Education, I studied the potential of leveraging media and technology to spark social change. Among my exploration of television and film as tools for activating people around important social issues, I studied the Twitter revolution in Egypt and the uncanny popularity of YouTube, integrating philosophy, sociology, education theory, and technical knowledge to develop my new understanding of how the world works - and evolves - in a new digital age.

My most poignant take-away from my time at Harvard: The key to creating change is the ability to keep up with change.

Constant waves in new technologies do the best job of illustrating this phenomenon. For example, any successful marketer today must understand the new technological tools that customers use to communicate. In this way, studying technology from the outside is nearly impossible - as soon as we have a grasp of a technology’s presence and impact, technology has evolved once again.

This week, Dean Olian hosted Robert (Bob) E. Moritz, Chairman and Senior Partner of PwC on campus as part of the Dean’s Distinguished Speaker Series. As a member of the U.S. leadership team of the one of the largest professional services companies in the world and a well-published thought leader, Moritz shared insights on leadership style, new trends that traverse industries, and Millennials in the workforce. Throughout the conversation, his responses were anchored around a very familiar core concept: To succeed, we must keep up with change. 

In professional services - arguably more than in any other industry - success is dependent on a deep understanding of the latest ideas and trends, and then bringing those to clients as tools for change. Internally, applying such tools is just as important.

Polished and practiced, Moritz spoke in concise, yet comprehensive bullet points and lists (e.g., “four fundamental questions,” “three shifts,” and “five trends”). PwC understands that it must continuously evolve its service offerings and adapt to an increasingly globalized society, and do so faster, and faster.

Moritz called out that firms like PwC need leaders who “can navigate the grey zone.” The grey zone no longer only symbolizes ambiguity; it references the space between present and future, the active state of shifting from one point to the next. And in that grey zone, Moritz reminds us, failure is not only encouraged, but embraced. Failure signifies risk. And in a faster world, we must take risks in order to keep moving.

Moritz posed a question that he then subsequently answered: “What skills do we need to keep up with the pace of change?” And, in my opinion, that is the key. We - both organizations and individual professionals - must all cultivate the skills to “keep up.” It is no longer enough to just know how to create change; the most critical skills are agility and flexibility in a rapidly changing world.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2015, 14:01

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36    Next  [ 710 posts ] 

Calling all UCLA Anderson Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!!

new topic post reply Update application status