Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q165 V166
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Haas '17 (I)
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Re: Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
gobears456 wrote:
Where are people getting the stat that 50% of interviewed applicants get in? I've only seen it on this forum.

I think it's a general percentage that people throw out for all of the top schools. But I think for the most part it's probably around that number, minus schools like Tuck and Kellogg.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.57
WE:Other (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Hey to put another data point out there.

I received an invite on Nov. 13th and interviewed in NYC with an alum yesterday.

I work at a start-up in NYC last name D.

The interview was really relaxed. We met for lunch. She asked me to walk through my resume, why an MBA now, and Why Haas. Then left the rest for questions I had. We probably talked for a little over an hour and it was mostly conversational.

Good Luck All!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 570 Q41 V26
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The waiting is taking too long here..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
fede7flores wrote:
The waiting is taking too long here..

And we still have more than 7 weeks to go. An interview invite would be nice, though, wouldn't it? ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Applicants NOT in US:
Has anyone in EU/UK/India received an invite for an interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 570 Q41 V26
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Nothing in Mexico, but I think someone had already received one in Latin America
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I am in Europe and I received an invite yesterday. I contacted the local alumnus that should do the interview but he have not answered in two days. The mail they sent me from Haas says to contact them after 72 hours, but I will have to wait until monday anyway.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Just received a Stanford email from Booth inviting me to a Harvard interview at Berkeley.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: How Culture Comes to Life at Haas
Insights from a Haas Student Ambassador and MBA 2015

One of the biggest reasons I chose Haas over any of the other schools that I applied to was the student body.  Everyone I met was friendly, accomplished, intelligent, and, most importantly, everyone was down to earth.

I think what makes us unique is that the students here embody the Haas Defining Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself.  In my opinion, these aren’t just marketing messages…they are the criteria we look for in every student, and they guide pretty much everything we do here at Haas. 

I have really amazing classmates here at Haas: professional athletes, astronauts, Navy Seals, and foreign dignitaries.  What’s refreshing about being surrounded by such accomplished people is that they don’t carry themselves as if they’re better, or more deserving, than anyone else at Haas.  It took four months before I found out that one of my classmates had competed in the 2012 London Olympic Games!  People at Haas are just that down to earth.  “Confidence Without Attitude” is my favorite defining principle, and it’s a trait that I think you’ll find in all of my classmates.

The culture here at Haas is also evident in the classroom.  During my first year, I had a classmate volunteer to tutor me when I was struggling in microeconomics.  The crazy thing is that he had already waived out of the course, so he was helping me in a class that he wasn't even enrolled in!  I’ve also had several classmates send out class notes and reading summaries prior to big exams in the hope that the rest of us would find it useful. 

Finally, my classmates go beyond themselves to make Haas a close-knit community that celebrates our diverse backgrounds.  Recently, the international community hosted our annual International Consumption Function in the courtyard.  Students and partners prepared food and drinks that represented their home countries, sharing them with over 300 Haasies at the event.  My favorite was the Peruvian ceviche!  It's contributions like this that help to bring us all together as a cohesive community.

These are traits that I wasn’t expecting to find in the students at any business school. It is refreshing to know that my classmates don’t just want to succeed themselves, but that they want the collective Haas community to succeed.

The students here at Haas push me to work harder, do better, and think in ways that I haven’t previously done.  They play just as much of a role in my success as I do.  As I interact with my classmates on a daily basis, I am constantly reminded that I made the right choice in MBA programs.  I can’t imagine being a part of any other family.

Matt Richards

Haas Student Ambassador

MBA 2015

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: MBA Group Work: You Cannot Possibly Do It Alone
The first time I gave “mba group work” in business school any thought was when I thumbed through the admissions brochure from Berkeley-Haas. I remember, quite vividly, a photo that showed three dedicated Evening and Weekend MBA students peering awkwardly (it was clearly a posed photo) into a laptop, while sitting at a gate at SFO – with a shiny Virgin America A320 parked behind them. Suddenly, group work meant doing sexy consulting projects that would earn me first-class upgrades and probably a great job at an amazing brand. Sign me up! 

What I didn’t know then, however, was that the reality of working in groups has been much, much better – even though I’ve yet to get a single travel perk doing it.

Throughout both my undergrad program and while earning an M.A., 99% of the way I was evaluated  – grades – was about individual results. I remember exactly one significant group project in six years. One! 

Yet, outside of school, most of my career has involved team effort. From planning presidential campaign events, to managing proposals, to building a business from scratch, nearly everything significant that I’ve accomplished has been as part of a team. It took going to business school for school to look even a little bit like… business. 

At Berkeley-Haas, collaboration – rather than just ‘group work’ is the norm, not the exception. While each professor structures things a little differently, nearly every class requires at least one group project. In some – and our core strategy class last spring comes to mind – most of the class is based on the work done in groups. And nowhere at Haas do our defining principles shine brighter than when a bunch of MBA students form a team. 

If you’re a fan of the late-90s Aaron Sorkin show Sports Night, you might remember a great quote from the short-lived show. It came from Robert Guillaume’s character, Isaac Jaffe: “If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. If you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.”

Groups are the perfect place to practice that. (Who in their right mind would hope to be the smartest person in their study group?) And project teams at school are the perfect place to try out a different role for yourself, too. It’s not easy, for example, to be the contrarian in a group at work, no matter how effectively you can support your arguments. But it’s good practice to take on that role now and then. At Haas, we encourage each other to question the status quo

My classmates at Haas are smart, accomplished, and ambitious. You’d expect that in any sample of MBA students, I’m sure. And they’re also generous to a fault, wickedly funny, and – here’s what I doubt you’ll find in just any sample of MBA students – incredibly humble. The folks in Admissions do a pretty amazing job screening for that, and it makes more of a difference than you could possibly appreciate until you spend a few months with this crowd.

As groups dive deep into their projects, the work can get intense and, sometimes, tiring. It can be hard not to fall in love with your own approach, or with the answer you worked hard to get. Despite that, you won’t see a lot of braggadocio here. We’re a collaborative, but still largely data-driven group. The best ideas, presented effectively, rather than the loudest arguments, usually win. Success comes with confidence – and without attitude.

Recently, I took an informal poll (as opposed to the many formal surveys your friends will ask you to take to support their group projects) of some of our Evening & Weekend MBA students, and I asked them what they look for when thinking about what electives to take. (In the EWMBA program now, there are three semesters of core classes, followed by three semesters of electives). Beyond certain “don’t miss” classes with perennial favorite professors, the most common criterion was “lots of group stuff.”

Teamwork can be energizing, fun, and social. Working with others allows you to learn from classmates who bring their career experience into the group. They allow you to learn about classmates with different experience, too. Good teamwork levels the hills and valleys of knowledge you experience during a semester, as different classmates take the lead at different times. Solving problems as a team forces each member to look at issues from perspectives other than their own. We learn a lot in those groups. In group work, we’re students always.

Perhaps the best part of the mba group work experience is the support you will get from, and give to, one another. One insightful classmate, as he tried diligently (and just barely successfully) to explain basic calculus to me, summed it up. “This program,” he opined, “is designed so that you cannot possibly do it alone.”

And so it is. No one is strong in every subject, nor does anyone have experience in everything you’ll study while working toward your MBA. If they did, they certainly wouldn’t be sitting in class next to you. Those folks (sightings of whom are rarer than the Loch Ness Monster) have better things to do with their Saturdays.

I’ve often relied on the kindness of classmates to fully understand a new concept, and I have been happy to return the favor in areas I understand. As you get to know your colleagues, you will see that they are always willing to give. You too will find ways to go beyond yourself to help them. 

So, my advice as you embark on your MBA experience – be it at Haas or elsewhere – is to prepare for the challenging – and fun – nature of collaborative work. You’ll learn a lot about yourself and your colleagues in the process.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Does anyone know whether if we applied R1 full-time, and find out we didn't get in, we could then apply for R2 in the part-time Evening/Weekend program?

I found out here that Haas doesn't allow two applications in the same admissions cycle (https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions ... _7_13.html), but it seems like it is contemplating concurrent submissions for both programs. I would only apply part-time I don't get in full-time, and I would find out the full-time admissions decision prior to the R2 part-time deadline. I'm hoping to stay in the Bay Area for family reasons and re-applying the following year is somewhat difficult due to other outside factors.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
w504ds wrote:
Does anyone know whether if we applied R1 full-time, and find out we didn't get in, we could then apply for R2 in the part-time Evening/Weekend program?

I found out here that Haas doesn't allow two applications in the same admissions cycle (https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/admissions ... _7_13.html), but it seems like it is contemplating concurrent submissions for both programs. I would only apply part-time I don't get in full-time, and I would find out the full-time admissions decision prior to the R2 part-time deadline. I'm hoping to stay in the Bay Area for family reasons and re-applying the following year is somewhat difficult due to other outside factors.

I take this to mean no, as the Admissions Cycle is all of the Rounds right? You can find it on their FAQs Admission section.

Quote:
Can I apply for the Full-time Program and the Evening & Weekend Program in the same year?

Applications to the Full-Time MBA and Evening & Weekend MBA programs are processed separately - the programs are independent of one another. Applicants may only apply to one program per admissions cycle as outlined by our Graduate Division requirements.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ah, I was looking for loopholes. :-) Thanks for the quick response!

bml1105 wrote:
w504ds wrote:

I take this to mean no, as the Admissions Cycle is all of the Rounds right? You can find it on their FAQs Admission section.

Quote:
Can I apply for the Full-time Program and the Evening & Weekend Program in the same year?

Applications to the Full-Time MBA and Evening & Weekend MBA programs are processed separately - the programs are independent of one another. Applicants may only apply to one program per admissions cycle as outlined by our Graduate Division requirements.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Send PM
Haha well it helps that I already had the same idea when I first started the process lol
Intern
Intern
Send PM
No one wants to leave the Bay Area :-) 4 hours from Tahoe, 30 minutes from the beach, 2 hours from Napa/Sonoma...life is good in the Bay.

bml1105 wrote:
Haha well it helps that I already had the same idea when I first started the process lol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Been watching the "GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics" graph since the Round 1 deadline, and it seems to me that interviews are going out based on GMAT score, with the highest scores getting the earliest invites and slowly moving down the list. For a while no one with a score under 720 had registered an invite, and then I just saw the first 710 record an interview invite yesterday. Just an observation, but I think it's a curious pattern for a school that stresses a holistic approach to reviewing applications! Anyone else noticing this or have any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
cmg123 wrote:
Been watching the "GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics" graph since the Round 1 deadline, and it seems to me that interviews are going out based on GMAT score, with the highest scores getting the earliest invites and slowly moving down the list. For a while no one with a score under 720 had registered an invite, and then I just saw the first 710 record an interview invite yesterday. Just an observation, but I think it's a curious pattern for a school that stresses a holistic approach to reviewing applications! Anyone else noticing this or have any thoughts?

I wonder if applicants with lower GMAT scores are simply less likely to include their score on their GMAT Club applicant profile? There may be people out there with slightly lower scores who were invited, but don't show up on that chart because they didn't put their info online.

Side note: if this year is like last year, quite a few interview invites should go out between now and Christmas. I hope that's the case this year! Also, no one on the forum reported an invite after Christmas last year...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  47   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts