GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2019, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 10:25
secondtimesthecharm wrote:
cmg123 wrote:
Been watching the "GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics" graph since the Round 1 deadline, and it seems to me that interviews are going out based on GMAT score, with the highest scores getting the earliest invites and slowly moving down the list. For a while no one with a score under 720 had registered an invite, and then I just saw the first 710 record an interview invite yesterday. Just an observation, but I think it's a curious pattern for a school that stresses a holistic approach to reviewing applications! Anyone else noticing this or have any thoughts?

I wonder if applicants with lower GMAT scores are simply less likely to include their score on their GMAT Club applicant profile? There may be people out there with slightly lower scores who were invited, but don't show up on that chart because they didn't put their info online.

Side note: if this year is like last year, quite a few interview invites should go out between now and Christmas. I hope that's the case this year! Also, no one on the forum reported an invite after Christmas last year...

Also, remember that just because it isn't on the graph doesn't mean it didn't happen. Last year someone posted that they received an invitation in January, but they just didn't change their school list.
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 11:30
bml1105 wrote:
secondtimesthecharm wrote:
cmg123 wrote:
Been watching the "GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics" graph since the Round 1 deadline, and it seems to me that interviews are going out based on GMAT score, with the highest scores getting the earliest invites and slowly moving down the list. For a while no one with a score under 720 had registered an invite, and then I just saw the first 710 record an interview invite yesterday. Just an observation, but I think it's a curious pattern for a school that stresses a holistic approach to reviewing applications! Anyone else noticing this or have any thoughts?

I wonder if applicants with lower GMAT scores are simply less likely to include their score on their GMAT Club applicant profile? There may be people out there with slightly lower scores who were invited, but don't show up on that chart because they didn't put their info online.

Side note: if this year is like last year, quite a few interview invites should go out between now and Christmas. I hope that's the case this year! Also, no one on the forum reported an invite after Christmas last year...

Also, remember that just because it isn't on the graph doesn't mean it didn't happen. Last year someone posted that they received an invitation in January, but they just didn't change their school list.

All true, thanks guys! Glad I mentioned it as I was overthinking it and it's good to hear your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 19:37
Hi! My gmat is 710 and I got my invite on nov 3rd!

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge
Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 19:40
hermionegranger wrote:
Hi! My gmat is 710 and I got my invite on nov 3rd!

Posted from my mobile device

Muggle!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 23:03
Notes from Berkeley Haas Visit:

• Parking
    o After 14 hour journey from philly to san jose due to flight delay and 3 hours sleep before driving to Berkeley, I spent 2 hours looking for parking‼ YES, 2 hours. Don’t drive. Take public transportation. I can’t explain how frustrating it is to spend 2hrs just for parking.
• Q&A with admissions (Cindy J Millette)
    o My day started out with quick 20 minutes talk (no slides) by Cindy. She just explained what they are looking for – academics, experience, personal qualities and fit. About 20 students showed up. People asked few questions – none of them were profound in nature.
• Lunch w/ current students
    o Four SYs came to take us to lunch. We were supposed to have lunch at faculty lounge (or something) but since that was under construction, they took us to ‘Free house’. Nice food.
    o The student I talked to a lot is interested in going to startups and that’s what he is really working on. Proactively reaching out, travelling to SFO frequently and developing network as a part of VC club. Apparently only 6 people are selected to be a part of VC club. I didn’t probe why there is a ‘selection’ process.
    o All students I met are soft spoken and hesitant to share anything about them until asked. Confidence without attitude? May be. May be not.
• Campus tour and info session with student ambassadors
    o After lunch, we were taken on a tour. It took approximately 5 minutes. All Haas is located in a very small area. Also, all the facilities are shared by undergraduates which means less space/rooms available during mid-terms and finals. New building, scheduled to open in 2017, is under construction to solve this problem.
    o Student ambassadors did a very nice job presenting about courses, experiential learning opportunities and student life. They also answered lot of questions from courses to living in Berkeley.
• Marketing Class
    o This was the most interesting part of my visit. Class material or Prof was not that interesting. Students were interesting. None of them had a formal shirt. I saw few ripped jeans and a short. One dude has an earring but not in the place you would usually think. Couple of dudes have very interesting hair dos (Adam Levine came to my mind) paired with full rimmed glasses. One lady sported a water bottle which said ‘Women are not small men’. One dude was walking around with no shoes – may be this is a new thing.
• Random notes/observations
    o Learned that there are more than 30 Jewish students among two classes. One of students we had lunch with is the president of Jewish club.
    o Most of the male undergrads I saw had long hair.
    o 1bed/1bath rents at $2000. Almost all single students share big houses on the north side of campus (rent $900 per person).

Shoot if you guys have any questions/comments.
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 23:43
As a Bay Area gal, parking has never been ideal at Berkeley. However, if public transportation isn't an option (or you just don't want to because you fear for your life due to germs) there are actually multiple parking garages within a few blocks walking distance. You can find them between Bancroft and Dwight street. When I did my day visit, my total for parking was $15. Not too shabby since I was there from 8 - 2. And I remained healthy :-D

My tour was pretty much the same, except I had a different experience in regards to the students. No one seemed shy or hesitant at all. They didn't automatically tell me what they were planning on doing or how amazing they were, but everyone was very social. They were excited to answer any questions I had. In the class, multiple students, that were not part of the tour, were apt to share why they chose Haas and why they love it. When I asked what they were planning on doing with their degree they did see excited about their prospects. It was definitely confidence without attitude. Also the students in the class I visited looked and dressed normal lol

The interesting part for me, was that out of my group of 9 students on the tour, 6 were females.The complete opposite representation across top schools.
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Dec 2014, 01:40
I noticed on my visit that Haas is definitely the most casual business school that I've visited. Lots of flip flops and t-shirts in class and very casual interactions between the professor and students, which were very surprising to me. But then again, we're in the Bay Area and the Mark Zuckerberg hoodie, tshirt, and jeans look is par for the course in most of the business world in SF (other than finance and law). Berkeley leans more hippie/casual than SF. One of my friends participated in a bschool competition with Haas kids and said they were the nicest, most outgoing, and down to earth students she'd ever encountered in a bschool competition. The Haas students developed the reputation of being the "hippie b-school students" as the team wore jeans to their pitch when everyone else wore suits.

To each their own. The Bay Area is no where near NYC/DC in terms of fashion/preppiness and the bschool reflects the culture of the area. I like the change especially after having gone to school on the East Coast.

Originally posted by w504ds on 05 Dec 2014, 01:04.
Last edited by w504ds on 05 Dec 2014, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 01:15
Haven't posted here before but as a student, my notes on the last few posts:

- If you visited in late November and especially early December the haircuts/appearances were likely due to the end of No Shave November (or "Movember," as it's more commonly known). First year students raised over $40,000 for charity by not shaving/altering their appearances and then having a bit of fun with the end result at the end of the month shave day (it's temporary as recruiting starts in the winter). Nowhere near everyone participates in the shaving activities, but most help fundraise in some usually un-related capacity. Students also have a few "costume theme" days throughout the November - not sure if that was relevant. Either way, there is no expectation to dressing up for class and I think doing so would be abnormal across most top business schools -- plus, it's the Bay Area -- so casual flies anywhere. I will caveat that by saying that students who have interviews or formal events definitely wear business casual and formal to class and that's expected as a norm. I think this fun culture permeates the student body and at the same time, students are serious with their academics and business/career prospects.

I can't speak to specifics on VC club selection (not familiar with that club), however, there are few extra-curricular opportunities (not clubs) that have a selection process (e.g., managing an investment fund)

As for the later comment on women - that doesn't surprise me. The administration has made a pronounced effort to increase to % of women in the class (without diluting applicant quality) and did a great job this past year. The % of women is now 43% which is (I believe) the highest among top schools.

The new building is scheduled to open Fall 2016 - it has potential to expand the Full-time/other programs. Details were announced today and more should be available online shortly.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 09:52
bml1105 wrote:
As a Bay Area gal, parking has never been ideal at Berkeley. However, if public transportation isn't an option (or you just don't want to because you fear for your life due to germs) there are actually multiple parking garages within a few blocks walking distance. You can find them between Bancroft and Dwight street. When I did my day visit, my total for parking was $15. Not too shabby since I was there from 8 - 2. And I remained healthy :-D

My tour was pretty much the same, except I had a different experience in regards to the students. No one seemed shy or hesitant at all. They didn't automatically tell me what they were planning on doing or how amazing they were, but everyone was very social. They were excited to answer any questions I had. In the class, multiple students, that were not part of the tour, were apt to share why they chose Haas and why they love it. When I asked what they were planning on doing with their degree they did see excited about their prospects. It was definitely confidence without attitude. Also the students in the class I visited looked and dressed normal lol

The interesting part for me, was that out of my group of 9 students on the tour, 6 were females.The complete opposite representation across top schools.

I wish i had better experience regarding parking. I went to four garages before finding a garage on the north side of campus. All four garages were full at 10:30am.

Dont get me wrong. Students were enthusiastic about sharing why they love Haas and almost certainly everybody talked about the principles. Plus, I don't have an iota of doubt that one will be able to find an opportunity they are looking for. You can't beat the location for career opportunities.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 09:57
w504ds wrote:
I noticed on my visit that Haas is definitely the most casual business school that I've visited. Lots of flip flops and t-shirts in class and very casual interactions between the professor and students, which were very surprising to me. But then again, we're in the Bay Area and the Mark Zuckerberg hoodie, tshirt, and jeans look is par for the course in most of the business world in SF (other than finance and law). Berkeley leans more hippie/casual than SF. One of my friends participated in a bschool competition with Haas kids and said they were the nicest, most outgoing, and down to earth students she'd ever encountered in a bschool competition. The Haas students developed the reputation of being the "hippie b-school students" as the team wore jeans to their pitch when everyone else wore suits.

To each their own. The Bay Area is no where near NYC/DC in terms of fashion/preppiness and the bschool reflects the culture of the area. I like the change especially after having gone to school on the East Coast.

The culture is definitely a welcome change and I love it. Nobody takes themselves too seriously like at other schools. But they are very much focused on career.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2014, 10:04
north200 wrote:
Haven't posted here before but as a student, my notes on the last few posts:

- If you visited in late November and especially early December the haircuts/appearances were likely due to the end of No Shave November (or "Movember," as it's more commonly known). First year students raised over $40,000 for charity by not shaving/altering their appearances and then having a bit of fun with the end result at the end of the month shave day (it's temporary as recruiting starts in the winter). Nowhere near everyone participates in the shaving activities, but most help fundraise in some usually un-related capacity. Students also have a few "costume theme" days throughout the November - not sure if that was relevant. Either way, there is no expectation to dressing up for class and I think doing so would be abnormal across most top business schools -- plus, it's the Bay Area -- so casual flies anywhere. I will caveat that by saying that students who have interviews or formal events definitely wear business casual and formal to class and that's expected as a norm. I think this fun culture permeates the student body and at the same time, students are serious with their academics and business/career prospects.

I can't speak to specifics on VC club selection (not familiar with that club), however, there are few extra-curricular opportunities (not clubs) that have a selection process (e.g., managing an investment fund)

As for the later comment on women - that doesn't surprise me. The administration has made a pronounced effort to increase to % of women in the class (without diluting applicant quality) and did a great job this past year. The % of women is now 43% which is (I believe) the highest among top schools.

The new building is scheduled to open Fall 2016 - it has potential to expand the Full-time/other programs. Details were announced today and more should be available online shortly.

I like the fun culture. With my comments in earlier post, I was just stressing what's different rather than what's different from the MBA student norm (if there is such a thing). Also, there were 50% women in the visitors group and thats a good thing. Haas showed a real commitment to diversity by taking 43% of women for the 2016 class. Nate Wojcik, our campus tour guide, told us that the building will be open in 2017. Good to know that its earlier than that.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.9
WE: Analyst (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 12:34
Any new interview invites? It's been quiet on here.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 13:40
I interviewed with Haas on Nov. 17. Got the invite in late October.

I'm from Toronto, Canada. GMAT was 690.

Waiting for the verdict is painnnnnfullllllll!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Anderson '17 (M)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 02 Feb 2015, 23:40
<deleted>

Originally posted by curlopt on 08 Dec 2014, 19:36.
Last edited by curlopt on 02 Feb 2015, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.57
WE: Other (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 19:47
Does anyone know if they release any admission decisions before the Jan 15th deadline? or is it only day of?

Berkeley is so late compared to all the other schools.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2014, 22:26
Last year they released admit decisions via phone call the day before. The rejections came Jan 15 by email/status check.

The wait is excruciating. Last year it looks like they sent out interview invites up until December 23. However, the application due date was October 15, instead of Oct 1 like this year (the notification date is the same), so not sure if that means the interview invite dates might extend past December 23.

ellebeedee wrote:
Does anyone know if they release any admission decisions before the Jan 15th deadline? or is it only day of?

Berkeley is so late compared to all the other schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
HSA Voices: International Opportunities in the Berkeley MBA Program  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 11:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: HSA Voices: International Opportunities in the Berkeley MBA Program
Guest Blogger: Betsy McCormick, MBA 2015

One of my Haas highlights is the number and quality of international opportunities I have had.  Over 40% of students in the Berkeley MBA Program students hail from other countries, which is a tremendous boon in the classroom and enables us all to broaden our perspectives on the challenges facing business leaders today. I remember a marketing class in which a classmate from China pushed us to consider the difficulty of social media marketing in his home country, where access to and censorship of the internet is vastly different from our US customs.Image

Berkeley-Haas students taking a break from their economics project in Cuba

Beyond classroom discussion, Haas offers a number of internationally focused courses. For example I am currently taking a joint class with the engineering school where the goal is to design products for the developing world. Along with three engineers, I am tackling the problem of how to improve cervical cancer screening in Ghana. We will even be applying for USAID funding at the end of class in hopes of continuing our research.

Perhaps one of the most rewarding classes I have taken so far is Social Sector Solutions. It is a consulting based class in which I am helping my client build a go-to-market strategy in Latin America. The company makes high quality, low cost prosthetic devices and in recent weeks I have found myself on dozens of calls with doctors, hospital administrators, NGO leaders and regulators throughout Latin America.

Last year, over one hundred of my classmates took one of Haas’s most popular classes: International Business Development (IBD). It is another client-based class in which teams solve a problem for an internationally based client and then travel for three weeks at the end of school to finish research and present final recommendations. My friends worked on projects ranging from energy in Kathmandu to cosmetics in Shanghai to education in Saudi Arabia.Image

Haas students on IBD in India, following a welcome ceremony from their client

I’ve done my fair share of international travel as well and found myself in Cuba last spring break as part of an independent study project. Along with ten classmates, I researched the state of innovation and entrepreneurship in the Cuban economy.  We met with entrepreneurs, journalists and politicians to try to understand what opportunities and risks small business owners faced. We also managed a day at the beach and a tour of a cigar plantation. 

Haasies find ways to explore new frontiers outside of the academic curriculum as well. Many students go on international treks to visit classmates’ home countries, or simply to experience new cultures. I traveled to Cambodia last winter, and will be headed to South Africa in January. A number of classmates also explored international career opportunities. Over the summer, good friends landed internships in Malaysia, Spain and Singapore (to name just a few).

Me and fellow classmates visiting Angkor Wat while in Cambodia for winter break

Haas has been the perfect place to explore the challenges and excitement of doing business internationally and I am so grateful for all that I have learned from my professors, travels and my classmates.

Betsy McCormick, MBA 2015
Haas Student Ambassador

Want to learn more about how Haas helps you go hands-on—including with international opportunities? Check out our Applied Innovation courses. 

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Constructing a New Berkeley MBA Student Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2014, 13:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Constructing a New Berkeley MBA Student Experience

Coming in 2016 to Berkeley-Haas: 80,000 square feet devoted entirely to student learning and interaction.

We've begun construction on a new North Academic Buildingthat will feature state-of-the-art technology and flexible classrooms, as well as plenty of group study rooms and an event space with sweeping views of the San Francisco Bay.

Funded with private donations, the building is scheduled to be completed in fall 2016 and has been designed to achieve at least certified LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold status.

According to Dean Rich Lyons, the new building will enable Berkeley-Haas to keep pace with rapid changes in the delivery of management education and create "the best, most up-to-date learning experience for students." This includes a focus on work spaces that facilitate collaboration and applied innovation, in keeping with the Berkeley MBA Program's mission of developing innovative leaders.

The new building is also designed to encourage community, within Haas and with the surrounding UC Berkeley and San Francisco Bay Area communities. Says Dean Lyons, "This building and our newly renovated courtyard will play a central role in boosting new connections and new ideas."

From facts and figures to artist renderings, we invite you to learn more about our evolving campus.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Schools: Haas '17 (I)
GPA: 3.8

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2014, 08:11
The new building looks amazing
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2014, 14:57
Weird how quiet it is for invites. Haven't seen any new invites really on gmatclub and beatthegmat. If you got an invite this week, can you update your status for all of us who are eagerly awaiting an invite (so we can have some hope?) :-)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2014, 14:57

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  46    Next  [ 920 posts ] 

Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: hanamana