GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 02:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2014, 13:12
RG800 wrote:
acf5915 wrote:
Got an interview!!! Received the email last night. I clicked the link in the email to select off-campus (NYC). They immediately sent me the information for the local alum that I have been paired with. I emailed him with my schedule and he responded within an hour. Now to prep for my Oct 20th interview! So so excited!

Haven't you already missed your interview appointment then? :twisted:

Hahah that would be like the worst possible outcome ever: Dinged for missing the interview due to a significant email server delay!
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.72

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 08:17
Anyone else have interview reports? Curious to hear what questions were asked.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 12:55
LexLuthor wrote:
RG800 wrote:
acf5915 wrote:
Got an interview!!! Received the email last night. I clicked the link in the email to select off-campus (NYC). They immediately sent me the information for the local alum that I have been paired with. I emailed him with my schedule and he responded within an hour. Now to prep for my Oct 20th interview! So so excited!

Haven't you already missed your interview appointment then? :twisted:

Hahah that would be like the worst possible outcome ever: Dinged for missing the interview due to a significant email server delay!

Yeah, yeah... I meant Nov 20th. That would be a sad way to get dinged.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
5 Things I Learned in my First 10 Weeks as an EWMBA Student  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 16:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: 5 Things I Learned in my First 10 Weeks as an EWMBA Student
When I started business school, I had a lot of goals -- learn new skills, grow my network, advance my career and much more. Now, I'm ten weeks into this 3-year adventure, and I've already learned a lot -- not just from classes, but from several parts of the experience. 

As I was applying to Haas last year, I wondered what going back to school to get an part-time MBA would really feel like. For anyone who's considering taking the plunge into the Evening & Weekend Berkeley program, here's a little insight into a few things (not related to accounting, marketing, or course content at all) I've learned so far:

1. Group work is even harder (but also more rewarding) than I thought it would be.

Whenever you talk about business school, people immediately say "Wow, I hear business school is a lot of group work…" and so far, they're right. For both of our classes during Fall A we had significant group projects to complete. Wrangling 5 busy professionals to work on a school project is a challenge in itself -- but then you get started working on things and realize it's even harder than just scheduling logistics. My study group is an amazing mix of awesome people, who I've really enjoyed spending time with. But we also all work differently, and it's sometimes challenging to figure out how to navigate a big project. The group work has been as much of a learning experience as our classes this semester -- but I've had a blast working with my study group and I'm really proud of the projects we've produced.

2. I can still make time for the things that matter in my life. 

Another thing people always said once I told them I was doing this was "Oh, wow, get ready to never see your friends again!" but it's not really true. I've definitely had to prioritize things in my life between school, work, family, friends, exercise, and sleep. It's only been ten weeks, so I don't think I've nailed this yet. It's challenging to get everything done, but it's getting easier each week. I've made a point to see friends and family as much as I can, and I have a planned date night with my husband every week. One nice thing about the evening program is that I can still plan weekend trips to visit friends, as long as they don't mind me taking a chunk of time to study and do homework while I visit.

3. There are more events and opportunities than one person can possibly attend.

Berkeley-Haas has dozens of awesome events every week. There are lectures, panels, club meetings, case projects, happy hours, mixers, and parties. And it's hard to decide what to do and what to skip. Going hand-in-hand with #2 above, it's all about prioritizing. One of the best pieces of advice we heard at orientation weekend was: "Make a list of what you want to get out of this experience - and whenever you're in doubt about whether you should do something, refer back to that list." It's easier said than done, but focusing on what's important has helped my prioritize what I attend and what I skip -- and sometimes when it's ok to slack on reading for class in order to attend a really great event (just don't tell my professors!).

4. Even in a class of 60+ people, a class can still feel small and personal.

At Haas, EWMBA students are divided into 4 cohorts of about 65 students. We will be with our cohorts for half of our program, before we start choosing elective courses. Coming into the program, I wondered what it would be like to have class discussions with such a large group of people. In the past several weeks, I've realized that once you get to know your classmates a bit, a group of 65 no longer feels that large. Plus, our professors for Fall A have done a great job at making discussions friendly and welcoming. One of the most valuable parts of the experience so far has been hearing perspectives from other classmates' experiences. Whenever someone starts a sentence with "Well, where I work…" I know that the contribution to class discussion is going to be valuable and interesting.

5. There are people who have jobs I didn't even know were jobs.

One of the other benefits of the EWMBA program is really getting to know the other professionals in the cohort. Between us, we probably have about 500 years of work experience, so there's a lot to learn from. One thing I realized is that people have jobs in industries and functions that I never even knew existed! One of my classmates buys and trades dairy for an international food company. Another chooses and plans the clothing inventory at a major national clothing chain. Another is a cardiac anesthesiologist (ok, I knew what that one means, but I never thought I'd get to know one in my MBA program!). I’m looking forward to continuing to learn more about my classmates and all their experiences. 

Overall, the first ten weeks of my MBA experience have been challenging, interesting, and invigorating. There's a lot of work, but a TON of learning -- so much more learning than you just get in the classroom. 

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 17:11
Just received an e-mail from Haas titled "Round One Applicant Update". I'm sure you've all received it, but one interesting note is that applicants are welcome to schedule an interview after January 15th should they be placed on the waitlist.

What happens if I don’t get an invitation to interview? You should not be discouraged if you do not receive an interview invitation by the notification date. Some applicants will be offered a place on the waitlist without having been interviewed. These waitlisted candidates are welcome to schedule an interview after the notification date.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Sales (Other)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 17:45
HealthcareMBAGuy wrote:
Just received an e-mail from Haas titled "Round One Applicant Update". I'm sure you've all received it, but one interesting note is that applicants are welcome to schedule an interview after January 15th should they be placed on the waitlist.

What happens if I don’t get an invitation to interview? You should not be discouraged if you do not receive an interview invitation by the notification date. Some applicants will be offered a place on the waitlist without having been interviewed. These waitlisted candidates are welcome to schedule an interview after the notification date.

I didn't get it :(

Would you mind posting the rest of the email for all of us?
GPA: 3.6
Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 18:01
My heart skipped a beat when I saw the email given the titling of the email.

Here's the email.

Greetings once again from Berkeley! It has been several weeks since you submitted your Haas application and I am sure you’re curious about what’s going on behind the scenes, so I wanted to shed some light on the application process and address a few of the common questions we’ve received:

I have not yet received an invitation to interview. What does that mean?
We are still reviewing applications and appreciate your patience. The Admissions Committee values the effort you put into this process and every application is thoroughly reviewed several times. We have already sent out a number of interview invitations, but we will continue to invite candidates up to the notification deadline of January 15, 2015. We interview in no particular order so whether you are asked early or late in the Round is no indication of how we feel about your candidacy.

I have an important application update I’d like to share, is that possible?
Since we are already well into reviewing applications we cannot guarantee that your new information will be considered. However, you are welcome to submit it to mbaadm@haas.berkeley.edu. Someone on our team will follow-up if necessary.

I already had my interview. What happens now? Your interviewer will submit their evaluation and the Admissions Committee will consider it in addition to the rest of your application. All admissions decisions will be released by January 15, 2015.

Can I expedite a decision before the notification deadline? Unfortunately, we cannot expedite an admissions decision under any circumstances.

If I am admitted, what happens next? Be on the lookout for follow-up emails from Admissions, Financial Aid and current students with important dates, events, and ways to continue to connect with our community.

What are the important dates coming up? If you are admitted, you are encouraged to attend our admitted student weekend, Days at Haas, March 5-7, 2015. The Round One deposit deadline immediately follows on March 10, 2015. Extensions will not be granted so plan accordingly.

I hope this information has been helpful. I know this can be a stressful time and we appreciate your patience while we continue to review applications. If you have any other questions, you can always reach one of us at mbaadm@haas.berkeley.edu or 510.642.1405.

Take care,
Erin

Erin Kellerhals
Executive Director
Full-time MBA Admissions

bml1105 wrote:
HealthcareMBAGuy wrote:

I didn't get it :(

Would you mind posting the rest of the email for all of us?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
From Undergrad to Exec MBA: A Berkeley Education Across Generations  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2014, 13:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: From Undergrad to Exec MBA: A Berkeley Education Across Generations

Unlimited curiosity. Unbridled enthusiasm. And an understanding that, no matter how much you think you know, there is always so much more to learn. That’s the sentiment behind “Students Always,” one of the Berkeley-Haas Defining Principles. And at Haas, there are countless members of our community who embody this value.

Take Jayanthi (Jay) Srinivasan and Sandeep Garg, students in the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program, Class of 2015. Jay is a Cupertino-based director of product management in the software industry, Sandeep a cardiologist in Lake Oswego, Oregon. Both decided that a Berkeley MBA was what they needed to take their careers in a new direction. And both have daughters at Berkeley who are sophomores, Class of 2017: Jay’s daughter, Puja Subramaniam, and Sandeep’s daughter, Jasmine Garg.

We sat down with the four Cal students to hear what it’s been like for two generations to experience Berkeley at the same time.

How has your parent or daughter inspired you?

Jasmine: I’ve chosen to follow in my dad's footsteps, majoring in pre-med. I’ve watched him do surgeries since I was very young, and it’s really influenced me.

Sandeep: One of the key things I’ve learned from Jasmine is the importance of creating a life balance between hard work and a social life. I’ve been too work-focused.

Puja: As a single mom, she definitely encouraged my being independent and resourceful and knowing that I could do anything, no matter what.

Jay: I’m always amazed at Puja’s work ethic, her organization skills, and her commitment. If anything, I have to push her to have more fun.

Why did you choose Berkeley?

Puja: The minute I came to campus, I felt it click. I just love the student lifestyle here, the amazing diversity, and the way the campus is so integrated into the city.

Jay: Growing up in India, you hear "Berkeley, Berkeley, Berkeley." The community and spirit are really special, plus there's all this fabulous research and fascinating academics.

Jasmine: Being from out of state, I wondered, do I take the leap? Do I not? But Berkeley is so unique –with limitless research and cultural opportunities, and then on top of that, you're right in the Bay Area.

Sandeep: For me, the thing that resonates the most about Haas and Berkeley is the “Students Always” mentality. The whole culture here is to focus not on the problem, but on the solution.

What do you plan to do with your Berkeley degree or your MBA?

Jasmine: I am pre-med right now as a field cell biology major, and want to go into cardiology like my dad.

Sandeep: I’m passionate about my work in medicine, but my impact has been very one-on-one.  With my MBA, I may move toward something more inventive or entrepreneurial or in the corporate world.

Puja: I came in as a pre-med, but changed to public health and statistics – Berkeley broadened my focus and made me want to work in a larger community.

Jay: I’m very interested in social entrepreneurship – social impact and the whole green movement. I feel like my degree is going to lead me somewhere very exciting.

What has it been like to be at school with your parent or daughter?

Puja:It’s been a really good learning experience to see that education doesn't stop at undergrad or even grad school. There is no age limit on education and learning. It is inspiring to see how much my mom does.

Jay: I just didn't realize how much time pressure there is on students now. Being able to empathize with the demands and pressure on Puja is a huge shift for me.

Jasmine: There is a common ground between us now. There is a lot more to talk about. I can’t believe that my dad has already accomplished so much in his life and he still wants to do more.

Sandeep:  It’s so great to see Jasmine, even for just a few minutes between classes. She had a midterm yesterday. We had a big exam two days ago. I could feel her pain. She called me and said, "I think I did very well." And I said, "Well, I think I bombed!"

Jay: Every time I come to Berkeley, I feel like I take five years off of my life. I am getting younger every time I come to class.

Kirsten Mickelwaite

Want that Cal experience (with or without your kids)? Learn more about the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2014, 17:55
Hey guys,

Does anyone know what percent of interviewed applicants are ultimately accepted? I wonder if that could be the reason why so few interviews seem to have been granted.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.72

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 07:48
I think it's about a 50% chance of admission if you interview.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GRE 1: Q165 V162
GPA: 3.09
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 18:15
just got invite...only available dates for on campus were Dec 1,2,3,4...analyze that how you wish...

cheers
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 19:02
automaddock wrote:
just got invite...only available dates for on campus were Dec 1,2,3,4...analyze that how you wish...

cheers

I don't think it means that much. They send out interview invites out until January. It's only mid-November. We all still have plenty of time.
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GRE 1: Q165 V162
GPA: 3.09
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 19:24
bml1105 wrote:
automaddock wrote:

cheers

I don't think it means that much. They send out interview invites out until January. It's only mid-November. We all still have plenty of time.

makes sense...yea this invite was for sure a suprise to me
Retired Moderator
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 21:06
automaddock wrote:
bml1105 wrote:
automaddock wrote:

cheers

makes sense...yea this invite was for sure a suprise to me

Congratulations! Let us know how it goes.

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2014, 15:41
Waiting...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q165 V166

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2014, 15:42
Hi all! Does anyone know how Haas typically reviews applications and rolls out interview invitations? (i.e., by industry, geography, alphabet...) Has anyone from Chicago/the midwest received an invitation to interview?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Haas Student Ambassador, Voices: How Culture Comes to Life at Haas  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2014, 16:00
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Haas Student Ambassador, Voices: How Culture Comes to Life at Haas
Insights from Matt Richards, Haas Student Ambassador and MBA 2015

One of the biggest reasons I chose Haas over any of the other schools that I applied to was the student body.  Everyone I met was friendly, accomplished, intelligent, and, most importantly, everyone was down to earth.

I think what makes us unique is that the students here embody the Haas Defining Principles: Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always, and Beyond Yourself.  In my opinion, these aren’t just marketing messages…they are the criteria we look for in every student, and they guide pretty much everything we do here at Haas. 

I have really amazing classmates here at Haas: professional athletes, astronauts, Navy Seals, and foreign dignitaries.  What’s refreshing about being surrounded by such accomplished people is that they don’t carry themselves as if they’re better, or more deserving, than anyone else at Haas.  It took four months before I found out that one of my classmates had competed in the 2012 London Olympic Games!  People at Haas are just that down to earth.  “Confidence Without Attitude” is my favorite defining principle, and it’s a trait that I think you’ll find in all of my classmates.

The culture here at Haas is also evident in the classroom.  During my first year, I had a classmate volunteer to tutor me when I was struggling in microeconomics.  The crazy thing is that he had already waived out of the course, so he was helping me in a class that he wasn't even enrolled in!  I’ve also had several classmates send out class notes and reading summaries prior to big exams in the hope that the rest of us would find it useful. 

Finally, my classmates go beyond themselves to make Haas a close-knit community that celebrates our diverse backgrounds.  Recently, the international community hosted our annual International Consumption Function in the courtyard.  Students and partners prepared food and drinks that represented their home countries, sharing them with over 300 Haasies at the event.  My favorite was the Peruvian ceviche!  It's contributions like this that help to bring us all together as a cohesive community.

These are traits that I wasn’t expecting to find in the students at any business school. It is refreshing to know that my classmates don’t just want to succeed themselves, but that they want the collective Haas community to succeed.

The students here at Haas push me to work harder, do better, and think in ways that I haven’t previously done.  They play just as much of a role in my success as I do.  As I interact with my classmates on a daily basis, I am constantly reminded that I made the right choice in MBA programs.  I can’t imagine being a part of any other family.

Matt Richards

Haas Student Ambassador

MBA 2015

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2014, 16:08
Does anyone know what the percentage Haas would give interview before December for R1 applicants?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2014, 09:32
Nnoodles wrote:
Hi all! Does anyone know how Haas typically reviews applications and rolls out interview invitations? (i.e., by industry, geography, alphabet...) Has anyone from Chicago/the midwest received an invitation to interview?

No idea on their approach, but I can at least provide one data point for you to over-emphasize! :wink: I'm in Chicago and received an invite to interview on Monday the 17th, interviewing in Chicago next week. Management consulting background and at the end of the alphabet.

Hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q165 V166

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2014, 16:48
GregMatte wrote:
Nnoodles wrote:

No idea on their approach, but I can at least provide one data point for you to over-emphasize! :wink: I'm in Chicago and received an invite to interview on Monday the 17th, interviewing in Chicago next week. Management consulting background and at the end of the alphabet.

Hope that helps!

Thanks GregMatte! I also just received my invitation to interview today. From Chicago, last name starts with C, and consulting/nonprofit background.

The last on-campus date is Dec 3, but admissions did confirm that they will roll out invitations through the deadline. On-campus is with a second year student while off-campus is with an alumnus. Good luck all!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2014, 16:48

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  46    Next  [ 920 posts ] 

Calling Haas(Berkeley) Applicants(2015 Intake) Class of 2017

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: hanamana