Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [75]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [15]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions [#permalink]
Kudos
for parallism - that emotions.............. that feeling should be correct so A and D out.
then Survive and Procreate should be parallel...E is out..
feelings needs the verb so reflect... C is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Here is how I did it:

1) The answer has to be like the following to maintain parallelism: "that emotions... and that feelings" (A-D out)

2) In the remaining options there is a split between reflect and reflecting. If we use "reflecting" the second part of the sentence won't be a full sentence.

Hence answer is C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
riderofthestorm wrote:
Here is how I did it:

1) The answer has to be like the following to maintain parallelism: "that emotions... and that feelings" (A-D out)

2) In the remaining options there is a split between reflect and reflecting. If we use "reflecting" the second part of the sentence won't be a full sentence.

Hence answer is C

Hi there,

What's wrong with the parallelism in A ?

Cognitive scientists maintain that emotions evolved.., and feeling are products...

emotions evolved is parallel to feeling are products

Am I missing something? in addition, reflecting the interpretation seems like a correct VERBing modifier.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
Send PM
In Option C if there would have been no "that " before feelings. Would that still be a right choice ??
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
riderofthestorm wrote:
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments ..........................

Now Lets Explore the options , given -

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - Parallelism not maintained , Incorrect.

B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting - Parallelism not maintained , Incorrect.

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect - Correctly modifies Feelings as products of concious mind.

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions , which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect the interpretation of emotions.

D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect - Parallelism not maintained , Incorrect.

E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - Parallelism not maintained , Incorrect.

Hence IMO (C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Contemporary cognitive scientists [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

OA: C

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

There is no error of parallelism here, because 1 element (emotions) has a modifier and the second element does not. This is not an error. The only issue that remains is the verb-ing modifier here. is "reflecting the interpretation of emotions" wrong here? it describes how emotions and feelings are produced by the brain, or the how they act as those products.

Also, is maintain a reporting verb or not? because if it is, it needs "that" when followed by a clause. because if maintain is not a reporting verb, then the meaning becomes very weird! Scientists maintain emotions that are x and feelings that are y! They hold on to those feelings and motions? huh?

I am uber confused here! would appreciate your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists [#permalink]
[quote="mosesrah"]Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - out because that is missing
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting - verb is missing after that
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect - correct
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect- out because that is missing
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - verb is missing after that

Hope my points are correct
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
mosesrah wrote:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

Perhaps you missed the presence of the verb evolved with the noun emotions. So, I don't believe we can interpret this sentence the way you've suggested.

The deconstruction of the sentence is:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions evolved....and feelings are....

Also can you confirm that you encountered this sentence on GMATPrep?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dav90 wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - out because that is missing
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting - verb is missing after that
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect - correct
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect- out because that is missing
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - verb is missing after that

Hope my points are correct

your points are correct if you assume that are products of the conscious mind modifies both emotions and feeling.
But if you assume that "emotions" has a modifier, but feelings do not (which is perfectly fine, parallel elements do not need parallel modifiers), then your point for choice C doesn't hold, and choice A will be a better choice. This scenario looks more sensible because if "maintain" is used to express opinion, it should be followed by that., otherwise it sounds like scientists posses emotions and feelings...although reflect the interpretation of emotions will also be incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

Perhaps you missed the presence of the verb evolved with the noun emotions. So, I don't believe we can interpret this sentence the way you've suggested.

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions evolved....and feelings are....

100%. It is a part of the extra question pack.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mosesrah wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

100%. It is a part of the extra question pack.

The text doesn't look right. let me confirm tonight when I'm back home.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

to answer your first point: evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate can modify biological functions. this makes even more sense to me... emotions evolved... biological functions evolved.. the latter is much more logical I believe.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
mosesrah wrote:
to answer your first point: evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate can modify biological functions. this makes even more sense to me... emotions evolved... biological functions evolved.. the latter is much more logical I believe.

Hi, which are biological functions is a non-essential clause. So, to expose the core of the sentence, it is always a good idea to ignore the non-essential. So, the core of the sentence is:

emotions evolved in the nervous system...

If the intent of evolved in the nervous system was to modify biological functions (in other words, if evolved was intended to be used as a past participle and not as a verb), then I would have expected that there should not have been any comma after biological functions. So, the construct should have been:

which are biological functions evolved in the nervous system...

Now, it is very clear that evolved in the nervous system is indeed modifying biological functions. But this is not the case here.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mosesrah wrote:

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

There is no error of parallelism here, because 1 element (emotions) has a modifier and the second element does not. This is not an error. The only issue that remains is the verb-ing modifier here. is "reflecting the interpretation of emotions" wrong here? it describes how emotions and feelings are produced by the brain, or the how they act as those products.

Also, is maintain a reporting verb or not? because if it is, it needs "that" when followed by a clause. because if maintain is not a reporting verb, then the meaning becomes very weird! Scientists maintain emotions that are x and feelings that are y! They hold on to those feelings and motions? huh?

Hi Moses,

Thanks for posting your question. :-)

Let's begin from the beginning. Let's first understand the intended meaning of this sentence.

Meaning Analysis:

The sentence begins by saying that the present day cognitive scientists believe in something. They believe something about emotions, which are biological functions. What about the emotions that they believe in? They maintain that emotions evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in environments not suitable for them and reproduce. Then we see "and". It says that there is something else as well. This part of the sentence tells us that "feelings" are different from emotions. Feelings are products or conscious mind, and hence reflect the interpretation of emotion.

So basically, the scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are two different things and that is proven by the description provided. Hence, there is a parallelism in the sentence between "emotions evolved..."and "feelings are...".

Now, firstly, these two entities are not grammatically parallel because "emotions" is preceded by "that" and "feeling are..." is not. Basically the structure should be:

... scientists believe:
that emotions... and
that feelings...

However, there is not "that" before "feelings". Now this absence of thus isolates this "feelings" part from the sentence. Structurally, it does not remain the part of the list anymore. And this is the mistake you are also doing in your analysis. If "feelings" is not the part of the parallelism, then why has it been mentioned side by side to emotions? If "feelings" part is not the part of the parallel list, then why the sentence says that scientists believe something and feelings are something. Does these two parts as Independent information even make logical sense? No. That's why it is very important to understand that how emotion is different from feelings has been presented through a parallel list.

So now the Error analysis will be easy. :-)

Error Analysis:

The sentence lacks the intended grammatical parallelism because "that" is present before "emotions..." but missing before "feelings...".

PoE:

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect. There is no verb for the subject "feelings" and hence, it cannot be parallel to the clause "that emotions evolved..."

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect: Correct. Presence of "that" makes "that feelings..." parallel to "that emotions...". Also note that feelings reflect..." is better than cause-and-effect "comma + reflecting...".

D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect: Incorrect
i. "to procreate" is forced to be parallel to "to help". This forced parallelism distorts the intended meaning of the sentence. The original sentence says that emotions evolved to help animals survive and procreate. This choice says that emotions evolved to help survive and to procreate.
ii. Same error as in Choice A.
iii. "which" illogically modifies "the conscious mind".

E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting" Incorrect.
1. Same "to procreate" error as in Choice D.
ii. There is no verb for "feelings".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ
Manager
Manager
Send PM
egmat wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

Hi Moses,

Let's begin from the beginning. Let's first understand the intended meaning of this sentence.

Meaning Analysis:

The sentence begins by saying that the present day cognitive scientists believe in something. They believe something about emotions, which are biological functions. What about the emotions that they believe in? They maintain that emotions evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in environments not suitable for them and reproduce. Then we see "and". It says that there is something else as well. This part of the sentence tells us that "feelings" are different from emotions. Feelings are products or conscious mind, and hence reflect the interpretation of emotion.

So basically, the scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are two different things and that is proven by the description provided. Hence, there is a parallelism in the sentence between "emotions evolved..."and "feelings are...".

Now, firstly, these two entities are not grammatically parallel because "emotions" is preceded by "that" and "feeling are..." is not. Basically the structure should be:

... scientists believe:
that emotions... and
that feelings...

However, there is not "that" before "feelings". Now this absence of thus isolates this "feelings" part from the sentence. Structurally, it does not remain the part of the list anymore. And this is the mistake you are also doing in your analysis. If "feelings" is not the part of the parallelism, then why has it been mentioned side by side to emotions? If "feelings" part is not the part of the parallel list, then why the sentence says that scientists believe something and feelings are something. Does these two parts as Independent information even make logical sense? No. That's why it is very important to understand that how emotion is different from feelings has been presented through a parallel list.

Error Analysis:

The sentence lacks the intended grammatical parallelism because "that" is present before "emotions..." but missing before "feelings...".

PoE:

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect. There is no verb for the subject "feelings" and hence, it cannot be parallel to the clause "that emotions evolved..."

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect: Correct. Presence of "that" makes "that feelings..." parallel to "that emotions...". Also note that feelings reflect..." is better than cause-and-effect "comma + reflecting...".

D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect: Incorrect
i. "to procreate" is forced to be parallel to "to help". This forced parallelism distorts the intended meaning of the sentence. The original sentence says that emotions evolved to help animals survive and procreate. This choice says that emotions evolved to help survive and to procreate.

E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting" Incorrect.

Thanks.
SJ

Thank you very much for your explanation! I main problem is that we can actually read the sentence like this:

Scientists maintain that feelings and emotions are products of...... Here there are two parallel elements feelings and emotions, one has modifier the other one doesn't. This is grammatically correct.
However, as we discussed above, we can only rule choice A out because of misplaced modifier . If evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments intends to modify emotions as a verb-ed modifier, then it is misplaced. If it acts as a verb, then answer choice A is wrong.

Also, can you please clarify the use of "that" here? shouldn't it be a part of the reporting verb? otherwise it sounds like scientists posses emotions that are x... and feelings that are y...

Thank you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MrJamesBond wrote:
egmat wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

Hi Moses,

Meaning Analysis:

... scientists believe:
that emotions... and
that feelings...

Error Analysis:

PoE:

Thanks.
SJ

Thank you very much for your explanation! I main problem is that we can actually read the sentence like this:

Scientists maintain that feelings and emotions are products of...... Here there are two parallel elements feelings and emotions, one has modifier the other one doesn't. This is grammatically correct.
However, as we discussed above, we can only rule choice A out because of misplaced modifier . If evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments intends to modify emotions as a verb-ed modifier, then it is misplaced. If it acts as a verb, then answer choice A is wrong.

Also, can you please clarify the use of "that" here? shouldn't it be a part of the reporting verb? otherwise it sounds like scientists posses emotions that are x... and feelings that are y...

Thank you :)

egmat - I have the same doubt. Why cant we consider evolved and reflecting as modifiers. And that way the sentence will read "Scientists maintain that feelings and emotions are products of the conscious mind" ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 208
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM

Pure case of parallelism. Questions like this gives me a sense of bliss. 8-) 8-) 8-) Yes my life is pathetic LOL

Ok, so look at the mail question "Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions."

That emotions goes along with that feelings , so we have B C and E. Eliminate rest. again, Which are biological functions . Brings us down to E and C. Between them only C is grammatically correct :)

+1 if you like my answer

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts