GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Feb 2019, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Online GMAT boot camp for FREE

     February 21, 2019

     February 21, 2019

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Kick off your 2019 GMAT prep with a free 7-day boot camp that includes free online lessons, webinars, and a full GMAT course access. Limited for the first 99 registrants! Feb. 21st until the 27th.
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2013, 01:56
5
19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:32) correct 31% (01:40) wrong based on 830 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Nov 2012
Posts: 157
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2013, 04:12
6
2
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

Read the sentence as Scientists maintain that emotions..... evolved... to help animals survive.... and.......

Key decision to make should we choose procreate or to procreate....

To Procreate - the sentence would read as emotions evolved to help animals and to procreate.. Clearly wrong since emotions dont procreate, animals do so D and E are out...

Since scientists maintain "That" emotions, which are biological is parallel in structure to ,and that feelings, which are products.... C is the answer
_________________

You've been walking the ocean's edge, holding up your robes to keep them dry. You must dive naked under, and deeper under, a thousand times deeper! - Rumi

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index.php/author/cbermanmanhattanprep-com/ - This is worth its weight in gold

Economist GMAT Test - 730, Q50, V41 Aug 9th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 670, Q45, V36 Aug 11th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 680, Q47, V36 Aug 17th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 1 - 770, Q50, V44 Aug 24th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 690, Q45, V39 Aug 30th, 2013
Manhattan GMAT Test - 710, Q48, V39 Sep 13th, 2013
GmatPrep CAT 2 - 740, Q49, V41 Oct 6th, 2013

GMAT - 770, Q50, V44, Oct 7th, 2013
My Debrief - http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-the-ashes-thou-shall-rise-770-q-50-v-44-awa-5-ir-162299.html#p1284542

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2013
Posts: 89
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2013, 20:09
for parallism - that emotions.............. that feeling should be correct so A and D out.
then Survive and Procreate should be parallel...E is out..
feelings needs the verb so reflect... C is correct
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2013, 02:15
Here is how I did it:

1) The answer has to be like the following to maintain parallelism: "that emotions... and that feelings" (A-D out)

2) In the remaining options there is a split between reflect and reflecting. If we use "reflecting" the second part of the sentence won't be a full sentence.

Hence answer is C
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2013, 08:34
riderofthestorm wrote:
Here is how I did it:

1) The answer has to be like the following to maintain parallelism: "that emotions... and that feelings" (A-D out)

2) In the remaining options there is a split between reflect and reflecting. If we use "reflecting" the second part of the sentence won't be a full sentence.

Hence answer is C


Hi there,

What's wrong with the parallelism in A ?

Cognitive scientists maintain that emotions evolved.., and feeling are products...

emotions evolved is parallel to feeling are products

Am I missing something? in addition, reflecting the interpretation seems like a correct VERBing modifier.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Location: United States
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 15:12
In Option C if there would have been no "that " before feelings. Would that still be a right choice ??
_________________

Feel Free to Press Kudos if you like the way I think :).

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4391
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 09:49
riderofthestorm wrote:
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.


Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments ..........................

Now Lets Explore the options , given -

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - Parallelism not maintained , Incorrect.

B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting - Parallelism not maintained , Incorrect.

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect - Correctly modifies Feelings as products of concious mind.

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions , which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect the interpretation of emotions.

D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect - Parallelism not maintained , Incorrect.

E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - Parallelism not maintained , Incorrect.

Hence IMO (C)
_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2015, 12:14
1
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

OA: C

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

There is no error of parallelism here, because 1 element (emotions) has a modifier and the second element does not. This is not an error. The only issue that remains is the verb-ing modifier here. is "reflecting the interpretation of emotions" wrong here? it describes how emotions and feelings are produced by the brain, or the how they act as those products.

Also, is maintain a reporting verb or not? because if it is, it needs "that" when followed by a clause. because if maintain is not a reporting verb, then the meaning becomes very weird! Scientists maintain emotions that are x and feelings that are y! They hold on to those feelings and motions? huh?

I am uber confused here! would appreciate your help!
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2014
Posts: 46
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 20:15
[quote="mosesrah"]Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - out because that is missing
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting - verb is missing after that
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect - correct
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect- out because that is missing
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - verb is missing after that

Hope my points are correct
_________________

-----------------------------------------
Consider Cudos if you like this post.
-----------------------------------------

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1132
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 05:35
mosesrah wrote:

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

Perhaps you missed the presence of the verb evolved with the noun emotions. So, I don't believe we can interpret this sentence the way you've suggested.

The deconstruction of the sentence is:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions evolved....and feelings are....

Also can you confirm that you encountered this sentence on GMATPrep?
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 05:39
dav90 wrote:
mosesrah wrote:
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - out because that is missing
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting - verb is missing after that
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect - correct
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect- out because that is missing
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting - verb is missing after that

Hope my points are correct


your points are correct if you assume that are products of the conscious mind modifies both emotions and feeling.
But if you assume that "emotions" has a modifier, but feelings do not (which is perfectly fine, parallel elements do not need parallel modifiers), then your point for choice C doesn't hold, and choice A will be a better choice. This scenario looks more sensible because if "maintain" is used to express opinion, it should be followed by that., otherwise it sounds like scientists posses emotions and feelings...although reflect the interpretation of emotions will also be incorrect.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 05:41
EducationAisle wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

Perhaps you missed the presence of the verb evolved with the noun emotions. So, I don't believe we can interpret this sentence the way you've suggested.

The deconstruction of the sentence is:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions evolved....and feelings are....

Also can you confirm that you encountered this sentence on GMATPrep?


100%. It is a part of the extra question pack.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 05:47
mosesrah wrote:
EducationAisle wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

Perhaps you missed the presence of the verb evolved with the noun emotions. So, I don't believe we can interpret this sentence the way you've suggested.

The deconstruction of the sentence is:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions evolved....and feelings are....

Also can you confirm that you encountered this sentence on GMATPrep?


100%. It is a part of the extra question pack.


The text doesn't look right. let me confirm tonight when I'm back home.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 05:56
1
EducationAisle wrote:
mosesrah wrote:

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

Perhaps you missed the presence of the verb evolved with the noun emotions. So, I don't believe we can interpret this sentence the way you've suggested.

The deconstruction of the sentence is:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions evolved....and feelings are....

Also can you confirm that you encountered this sentence on GMATPrep?


to answer your first point: evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate can modify biological functions. this makes even more sense to me... emotions evolved... biological functions evolved.. the latter is much more logical I believe.
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1132
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 06:09
mosesrah wrote:
to answer your first point: evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate can modify biological functions. this makes even more sense to me... emotions evolved... biological functions evolved.. the latter is much more logical I believe.

Hi, which are biological functions is a non-essential clause. So, to expose the core of the sentence, it is always a good idea to ignore the non-essential. So, the core of the sentence is:

emotions evolved in the nervous system...

If the intent of evolved in the nervous system was to modify biological functions (in other words, if evolved was intended to be used as a past participle and not as a verb), then I would have expected that there should not have been any comma after biological functions. So, the construct should have been:

which are biological functions evolved in the nervous system...

Now, it is very clear that evolved in the nervous system is indeed modifying biological functions. But this is not the case here.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2796
Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 22:12
2
mosesrah wrote:
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

OA: C

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.


There is no error of parallelism here, because 1 element (emotions) has a modifier and the second element does not. This is not an error. The only issue that remains is the verb-ing modifier here. is "reflecting the interpretation of emotions" wrong here? it describes how emotions and feelings are produced by the brain, or the how they act as those products.

Also, is maintain a reporting verb or not? because if it is, it needs "that" when followed by a clause. because if maintain is not a reporting verb, then the meaning becomes very weird! Scientists maintain emotions that are x and feelings that are y! They hold on to those feelings and motions? huh?

I am uber confused here! would appreciate your help!


Hi Moses,

Thanks for posting your question. :-)

Let's begin from the beginning. Let's first understand the intended meaning of this sentence.

Meaning Analysis:

The sentence begins by saying that the present day cognitive scientists believe in something. They believe something about emotions, which are biological functions. What about the emotions that they believe in? They maintain that emotions evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in environments not suitable for them and reproduce. Then we see "and". It says that there is something else as well. This part of the sentence tells us that "feelings" are different from emotions. Feelings are products or conscious mind, and hence reflect the interpretation of emotion.

So basically, the scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are two different things and that is proven by the description provided. Hence, there is a parallelism in the sentence between "emotions evolved..."and "feelings are...".

Now, firstly, these two entities are not grammatically parallel because "emotions" is preceded by "that" and "feeling are..." is not. Basically the structure should be:

... scientists believe:
that emotions... and
that feelings...

However, there is not "that" before "feelings". Now this absence of thus isolates this "feelings" part from the sentence. Structurally, it does not remain the part of the list anymore. And this is the mistake you are also doing in your analysis. If "feelings" is not the part of the parallelism, then why has it been mentioned side by side to emotions? If "feelings" part is not the part of the parallel list, then why the sentence says that scientists believe something and feelings are something. Does these two parts as Independent information even make logical sense? No. That's why it is very important to understand that how emotion is different from feelings has been presented through a parallel list.

So now the Error analysis will be easy. :-)

Error Analysis:

The sentence lacks the intended grammatical parallelism because "that" is present before "emotions..." but missing before "feelings...".

PoE:

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect. There is no verb for the subject "feelings" and hence, it cannot be parallel to the clause "that emotions evolved..."

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect: Correct. Presence of "that" makes "that feelings..." parallel to "that emotions...". Also note that feelings reflect..." is better than cause-and-effect "comma + reflecting...".

D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect: Incorrect
i. "to procreate" is forced to be parallel to "to help". This forced parallelism distorts the intended meaning of the sentence. The original sentence says that emotions evolved to help animals survive and procreate. This choice says that emotions evolved to help survive and to procreate.
ii. Same error as in Choice A.
iii. "which" illogically modifies "the conscious mind".

E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting" Incorrect.
1. Same "to procreate" error as in Choice D.
ii. There is no verb for "feelings".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ
_________________








Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR




| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2015, 00:48
egmat wrote:
mosesrah wrote:
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

OA: C

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.


There is no error of parallelism here, because 1 element (emotions) has a modifier and the second element does not. This is not an error. The only issue that remains is the verb-ing modifier here. is "reflecting the interpretation of emotions" wrong here? it describes how emotions and feelings are produced by the brain, or the how they act as those products.

Also, is maintain a reporting verb or not? because if it is, it needs "that" when followed by a clause. because if maintain is not a reporting verb, then the meaning becomes very weird! Scientists maintain emotions that are x and feelings that are y! They hold on to those feelings and motions? huh?

I am uber confused here! would appreciate your help!


Hi Moses,

Thanks for posting your question. :-)

Let's begin from the beginning. Let's first understand the intended meaning of this sentence.

Meaning Analysis:

The sentence begins by saying that the present day cognitive scientists believe in something. They believe something about emotions, which are biological functions. What about the emotions that they believe in? They maintain that emotions evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in environments not suitable for them and reproduce. Then we see "and". It says that there is something else as well. This part of the sentence tells us that "feelings" are different from emotions. Feelings are products or conscious mind, and hence reflect the interpretation of emotion.

So basically, the scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are two different things and that is proven by the description provided. Hence, there is a parallelism in the sentence between "emotions evolved..."and "feelings are...".

Now, firstly, these two entities are not grammatically parallel because "emotions" is preceded by "that" and "feeling are..." is not. Basically the structure should be:

... scientists believe:
that emotions... and
that feelings...

However, there is not "that" before "feelings". Now this absence of thus isolates this "feelings" part from the sentence. Structurally, it does not remain the part of the list anymore. And this is the mistake you are also doing in your analysis. If "feelings" is not the part of the parallelism, then why has it been mentioned side by side to emotions? If "feelings" part is not the part of the parallel list, then why the sentence says that scientists believe something and feelings are something. Does these two parts as Independent information even make logical sense? No. That's why it is very important to understand that how emotion is different from feelings has been presented through a parallel list.

So now the Error analysis will be easy. :-)

Error Analysis:

The sentence lacks the intended grammatical parallelism because "that" is present before "emotions..." but missing before "feelings...".

PoE:

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect. There is no verb for the subject "feelings" and hence, it cannot be parallel to the clause "that emotions evolved..."

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect: Correct. Presence of "that" makes "that feelings..." parallel to "that emotions...". Also note that feelings reflect..." is better than cause-and-effect "comma + reflecting...".

D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect: Incorrect
i. "to procreate" is forced to be parallel to "to help". This forced parallelism distorts the intended meaning of the sentence. The original sentence says that emotions evolved to help animals survive and procreate. This choice says that emotions evolved to help survive and to procreate.
ii. Same error as in Choice A.
iii. "which" illogically modifies "the conscious mind".

E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting" Incorrect.
1. Same "to procreate" error as in Choice D.
ii. There is no verb for "feelings".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ


Thank you very much for your explanation! I main problem is that we can actually read the sentence like this:

Scientists maintain that feelings and emotions are products of...... Here there are two parallel elements feelings and emotions, one has modifier the other one doesn't. This is grammatically correct.
However, as we discussed above, we can only rule choice A out because of misplaced modifier . If evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments intends to modify emotions as a verb-ed modifier, then it is misplaced. If it acts as a verb, then answer choice A is wrong.

Also, can you please clarify the use of "that" here? shouldn't it be a part of the reporting verb? otherwise it sounds like scientists posses emotions that are x... and feelings that are y...

Thank you :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Mar 2014
Posts: 10
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Contemporary cognitive scientists  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 12:02
MrJamesBond wrote:
egmat wrote:
mosesrah wrote:
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

OA: C

My answer was A and I'm not sure why it is wrong:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.


There is no error of parallelism here, because 1 element (emotions) has a modifier and the second element does not. This is not an error. The only issue that remains is the verb-ing modifier here. is "reflecting the interpretation of emotions" wrong here? it describes how emotions and feelings are produced by the brain, or the how they act as those products.

Also, is maintain a reporting verb or not? because if it is, it needs "that" when followed by a clause. because if maintain is not a reporting verb, then the meaning becomes very weird! Scientists maintain emotions that are x and feelings that are y! They hold on to those feelings and motions? huh?

I am uber confused here! would appreciate your help!


Hi Moses,

Thanks for posting your question. :-)

Let's begin from the beginning. Let's first understand the intended meaning of this sentence.

Meaning Analysis:

The sentence begins by saying that the present day cognitive scientists believe in something. They believe something about emotions, which are biological functions. What about the emotions that they believe in? They maintain that emotions evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in environments not suitable for them and reproduce. Then we see "and". It says that there is something else as well. This part of the sentence tells us that "feelings" are different from emotions. Feelings are products or conscious mind, and hence reflect the interpretation of emotion.

So basically, the scientists maintain that emotions and feelings are two different things and that is proven by the description provided. Hence, there is a parallelism in the sentence between "emotions evolved..."and "feelings are...".

Now, firstly, these two entities are not grammatically parallel because "emotions" is preceded by "that" and "feeling are..." is not. Basically the structure should be:

... scientists believe:
that emotions... and
that feelings...

However, there is not "that" before "feelings". Now this absence of thus isolates this "feelings" part from the sentence. Structurally, it does not remain the part of the list anymore. And this is the mistake you are also doing in your analysis. If "feelings" is not the part of the parallelism, then why has it been mentioned side by side to emotions? If "feelings" part is not the part of the parallel list, then why the sentence says that scientists believe something and feelings are something. Does these two parts as Independent information even make logical sense? No. That's why it is very important to understand that how emotion is different from feelings has been presented through a parallel list.

So now the Error analysis will be easy. :-)

Error Analysis:

The sentence lacks the intended grammatical parallelism because "that" is present before "emotions..." but missing before "feelings...".

PoE:

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect for the reason stated above.

B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting: Incorrect. There is no verb for the subject "feelings" and hence, it cannot be parallel to the clause "that emotions evolved..."

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect: Correct. Presence of "that" makes "that feelings..." parallel to "that emotions...". Also note that feelings reflect..." is better than cause-and-effect "comma + reflecting...".

D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect: Incorrect
i. "to procreate" is forced to be parallel to "to help". This forced parallelism distorts the intended meaning of the sentence. The original sentence says that emotions evolved to help animals survive and procreate. This choice says that emotions evolved to help survive and to procreate.
ii. Same error as in Choice A.
iii. "which" illogically modifies "the conscious mind".

E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting" Incorrect.
1. Same "to procreate" error as in Choice D.
ii. There is no verb for "feelings".

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ


Thank you very much for your explanation! I main problem is that we can actually read the sentence like this:

Scientists maintain that feelings and emotions are products of...... Here there are two parallel elements feelings and emotions, one has modifier the other one doesn't. This is grammatically correct.
However, as we discussed above, we can only rule choice A out because of misplaced modifier . If evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments intends to modify emotions as a verb-ed modifier, then it is misplaced. If it acts as a verb, then answer choice A is wrong.

Also, can you please clarify the use of "that" here? shouldn't it be a part of the reporting verb? otherwise it sounds like scientists posses emotions that are x... and feelings that are y...

Thank you :)


egmat - I have the same doubt. Why cant we consider evolved and reflecting as modifiers. And that way the sentence will read "Scientists maintain that feelings and emotions are products of the conscious mind" ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Feb 2016
Posts: 89
Location: India
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2016, 21:47
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

Pure case of parallelism. Questions like this gives me a sense of bliss. 8-) 8-) 8-) Yes my life is pathetic LOL

Ok, so look at the mail question "Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions."

That emotions goes along with that feelings , so we have B C and E. Eliminate rest. again, Which are biological functions . Brings us down to E and C. Between them only C is grammatically correct :)

+1 if you like my answer

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Mar 2017
Posts: 115
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2017, 10:32
Transcendentalist wrote:
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

Read the sentence as Scientists maintain that emotions..... evolved... to help animals survive.... and.......

Key decision to make should we choose procreate or to procreate....

To Procreate - the sentence would read as emotions evolved to help animals and to procreate.. Clearly wrong since emotions dont procreate, animals do so D and E are out...

Since scientists maintain "That" emotions, which are biological is parallel in structure to ,and that feelings, which are products.... C is the answer



as a non-native speaker I chose E since I've never heard procreate before. So I was just checking for parallelism. Quite discriminating this exam! (got 7.5 in IELTS)
_________________

I hate long and complicated explanations!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions   [#permalink] 16 May 2017, 10:32

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.