Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [0]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions [#permalink]
I would go for option C, the answer choices lack either the right time or parallel structure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
this is a GMAT Prep question. please tag it
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618719 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanics wrote:
this is a GMAT Prep question. please tag it

Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting

The structure of the sentence should be: scientists maintain that emotions, which are ...., and that feelings, which are ...., reflect...

POE

A. the subjects emotions and feelings are missing a verb. Maintain that emotions and that feelings is the parallel list. But here there is no that before feelings. Eliminate.

B. Missing verb

C. Correct structure.

D. Missing that and verb. Emotions evolved to help survive and procreate. But here the parallelism seems to indicate that emotions evolved to help survive and
emotions evolved to procreate. This is wrong.

E. Missing verb and same parallelism error as D.

Correct answer : C
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions [#permalink]
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals survive in hostile environments and procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting the interpretation of emotions.

A) procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, reflecting- incorrect,
One could interpret that 'and' serves to connect the parallel clauses
Scientists maintain
, and feelings are products.
B) procreate, and that feelings, as products of the conscious mind, reflecting- incorrect, subject 'feelings' do not have a verb
C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect- Correct
D) to procreate, and feelings are products of the conscious mind, which reflect - incorrect, the parallel infinitives (to help and to procreate) both seem to modify evolved, implying the following illogical meaing
emotions evolved to procreate.
E) to procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflecting- same as D ; no verb for that 'feelings'

Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Can someone explain why A is wrong?

I think that 'feelings' is parallel to 'emotions' so everything before 'emotions' would be common to both of them:

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions...evolved -> fine
Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that feelings are products -> fine

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
sislam04 wrote:
Can someone explain why A is wrong?

An easy way to put A in the less preferable category is the absence of that between and and feelings.

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions....and that feelings...

You might want to go thru this post, to further understand the issue at hand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM

C) procreate, and that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect

How is C grammatically correct?

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions........ and that feelings......
Shouldn't the 'that' clause for emotions be finished before starting another than clause? This looks really awkward and weird to me.

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sparavas wrote:

How is C grammatically correct?

Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain that emotions........ and that feelings......
Shouldn't the 'that' clause for emotions be finished before starting another than clause? This looks really awkward and weird to me.

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

In this sentence, contemporary cognitive scientists maintain two things. Each of those two things consists of a clause (with a subject and a verb):

• (1) that emotions, which are biological functions, evolved in the nervous system to help animals:
      (i) survive in hostile environments AND
      (ii) procreate
  • (2) that feelings, which are products of the conscious mind, reflect the interpretation of emotions."

Note that each of these two (after "that") could stand alone as a complete sentence:

• (1) Emotions {...} evolved in the nervous system {...}.
  • (2) Feelings {...} reflect the interpretation of emotions.

So we actually have really nice parallelism here: "Contemporary cognitive scientists maintain...

• (1) that [clause 1 (subject + verb)] AND
  • (2) that [clause 2 (subject + verb)]."

The parallelism is admittedly a bit hard to follow (especially since the first thing has another parallel list nested within it), but it's grammatically correct. Remember, as discussed in our SC guide for beginners, "a huge percentage of correct GMAT SC sentences sound like hot garbage. Many of them are just too damned long and convoluted. They’re often messy, wordy, and awkward." :)

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
In (C), "reflect" being a verb is not parallel to the modifier "evolved".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Kudos