GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Jan 2019, 07:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (00:58) correct 47% (00:58) wrong based on 1648 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments were established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.

(A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would

(B) must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel

(C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel

(D) will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would

(E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would

Originally posted by joemama142000 on 09 Dec 2005, 15:39.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Jan 2019, 07:15, edited 4 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 06:36
fozzzy wrote:
can someone provide a detailed analysis on this one. Thanks!

Hi fozzy,
There you go.

The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments were established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.

Since the meaning is pretty simple to understand, let’s proceed to the Error Analysis.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

1. The federal rules were made to ensure two things:
• patients must be warned of potential risks, and
• an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted
The first entity is preceded by “that”, but the second one is not. We need before the second entity as well.

2. Use of “would evaluate” is correct because the main verb for this part of the sentence is written in simple past tense “was conducted”. Since the sentence is written in simple past tense, we must use past tense of “will” that is “would” here.
Now the entities in the list must be parallel. Since we have two clauses as entities, the context of the sentence requires that there be consistency in the verb tenses. Hence we need “would be warned”.
3. Also, “ensure” does not need the use of subjunctive verb. So “would be warned” will take care of this issue too.

PoE:

A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

B) must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel: Incorrect.
1. This choice repeats the verb tense (must) error as in choice A.
2. There is no need for subjunctive verb here. We do need “would” not only before “evaluate” but also before “be warned of”.

C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel: Incorrect.
1. Use of “are warned” is incorrect because the context of the sentence is set in the past tense.
2. Same “would” error as in choice B.
3. “warned of” is more formal than “warned about”. The latter is more colloquial. Hence, “warned of” is better

D) will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would: Incorrect.
1. Use of “will be warned” leads to verb tense error
2. “that” is missing before the second entity in the list.

E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would: Correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Everything you need to ace the GMAT and more
Basics of the GMAT
GMAT Exam Strategies
GMAT Study Plans
GMAT Verbal Subject Matter
GMAT AWA & IR

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

General Discussion
VP
VP
Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:47
E.

would is required to indicate future, unseen, effects of federal rules.
C is incorect: tense not consistent. "it was conducted" in non-underlined portion indicates past tense.

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2005, 18:58
joemama142000 wrote:

A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would

B) must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel

C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel

D) will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would

E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would

E for parallel structure and parallel tenses and correct idiom "be warned of"
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2005, 08:30
E,//lism would be warned of and would evaluate

I thought warn about is a correct idiom but now I know that I was wrong
thanks guys for posting this question
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2010, 21:06
E for parallel construction (that.. that..) and subjunctive usgae ( were - would )

Kudos Never costs your Pocket ! Give when u feel it worthy :idea:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2011, 14:01
I originally picked E for ||ism. But after reaching MGMAT SC and a couple of OG examples where words like 'rule' and 'laws' are associated with MUST instead of COULD/SHOULD/WOULD (since laws are mandatory and words like would/should/could imply one has a choice in obeying the law...) , I decided to go with B because that is the only option that has MUST in the beginning and removes WOULD from the second half. It didn't make sense to me but I went by the rules in MGMAT and OG. Turns out there are exceptions to the rule :-(

How to avoid this trap?

-DK
---------------------------------------------------------
If you like what you read then give a Kudos! :-)
Diagnostic Test: 620
The past is a guidepost, not a hitching post.
---------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2012, 01:05
would is needed for future potentiality and parallel construction (that.. that..)
Thus E.

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 02:22
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2013, 03:39
fozzzy wrote:

The sentence says "evaluate" so we cannot place an "an independent panel" before (is singular). Out B and C.
The sentence also says "were", hence we are talking about the past; so the verb "will" is not correct.
If we are in the past, and we want to make a prediction about the future "would" is correct over "will". This eliminates option D.

A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would
E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would

The parallelism in A is not correct, E, on the other hand, is perfectly parallel: to ensure patients would be warned and that an independent panel would .

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2016, 01:57
ngocntt wrote:
E,//lism would be warned of and would evaluate

I thought warn about is a correct idiom but now I know that I was wrong
thanks guys for posting this question

The following idioms are correct
Warn about:- I warned John about the impeding danger.
Warned against :- The coach reminded the team about its past performance and warned the team against any kind of complacency
Warn of :- The committee warned the expedition team of intense hostility by the locals.
Warned off :- The sheriff warned off the drunk football fans.

In this case the answer depends more on parallelism than the usage of the idiom "warn about" or "warn of"

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 02:48
daagh Bishal123456789

I was able to narrow to A and E
But why would is preffered over must since parallelism is alright in A and E
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experi  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 04:01
Top Contributor
A is flouting that 'that' parallelism. The rules wanted that X would be done and that Y would be done. E is using that for both the requirements.
Since this is fundamental, the use of must is not an issue between the two choices.

you can know a lot about something but not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

GMAT Club Bot
The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experi &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jan 2019, 04:01

The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap