Last visit was: 14 May 2024, 20:37 It is currently 14 May 2024, 20:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Tuck, Haas
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Down On Consulting [#permalink]
gijoedude wrote:
Wannabe consultants might find this article helpful:

https://www.economist.com/node/18774614

thanks. this seems useful. :)

Any other material - blog,magazine,websites - we can look into for good insight on mgmt consulting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
PranavChamp wrote:
gijoedude wrote:
Wannabe consultants might find this article helpful:

https://www.economist.com/node/18774614

thanks. this seems useful. :)

Any other material - blog,magazine,websites - we can look into for good insight on mgmt consulting.

You might find this site helpful.

https://managementconsulted.com/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey all. Firstly, I have been on and off ghosting this forum for about a year now. I originally was curious about GMAT prep, even though it's a ways off for me, but after looking through the site a bit more, there are some wonderful insights into various industries, including consulting, which I have some questions about.

So I'm about to be a sophomore at IU Kelley, doing undergrad, and it's going quite well. However, I'm really having trouble thinking about what kind of career I'd like to have when I graduate, so I've been researching MC. This thread and Rhyme's thread on recruiting have been interesting, but I have some general questions that I haven't seen answered.

First off, Is getting a big 3 (or really any) MC job more difficult for an undergraduate business major, or majorly different in any way then if you're an MBA grad?

Secondly, I'm definitely considering going back to grad school, though I have quite a while before I will have to know, and I'm wondering if consulting is a good fit for someone who is looking into an MBA/JD program. I mean to say, do business schools have any preference when it comes to MC? For it? against it?

Third, in anyone's experience, is hard-work rewarded in the MC industry to a greater extent that face-time with the partners? What I mean to say is that I respect the idea of working your way upward in a company, rather than networking your way upward. I know that a certain amount of both is required to be successful, but I feel like there are definitely industries where advancement relies on one more than the other, and I'm wondering how the MC dynamic is.

I hope I didn't sound too ignorant, and that I didn't miss these answers somewhere else.
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Rotman '15 Ivey
GMAT Date: 03-28-2012
GPA: 2.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Want to go into consulting, have an entrance level job (Production Assistant) with Deloitte. I have my in, now what do I need to get into a Consulting position? Possible Designations? I'm obviously considering an MBA at some point too, hopefully Part time in 2012.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
im currently an auditor hoping to make the switch to consulting (pre-MBA to a smaller firm and post-MBA to MBB hopefully). any advice on doing this? i have a year of work experience and my cpa, any specific consulting firms i should target that will be open to my skillset?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
I just want to thank all the people who have contributed their insights and experience in this thread...i've obtained a lot of useful info about consulting...was wondering if it is right for me and all these discussions will really help me make my decision....thanks a lot for posting :)
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Is there anything like consulting jobs in the Big 4 focused on the automobile industry or the engineering and operations firms?

I'm a mechanical designer for the govt. of India with 5 years of experience. I'm looking at MC as a post-MBA goal.

Could some please help me with what options I have?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
AylaSmith wrote:
Hi! Even though some of the previous posts are quite old, I thought I'd try and answer some questions that haven't been replied to yet :). I interned at a tier-two company and after that applied for full time positions at MBB. I received offers from two of them and reached the final round at the third so I have quite some experience with the recruiting process and also with how it is to start out as a consultant, but obviously know much less about what life is like in consulting long-term. My experience is based on offices in Europe, so it might be different elsewhere but my impression is that offices are quite comparable regardless of where they are.

Hi!

I'm a lawyer from Europe (experience mostly concerns EU law), and I'm looking to move into consulting after MBA, preferably back in Europe. Do you have any experience about financial regulatory consulting? Or for that instance, consulting work that involves public policy analysis? I'm asking because I'm really interested how exactly can I best use my law experience in consulting jobs.

Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
AylaSmith wrote:

Thanks, very informative!

If you don't mind I might come back later with additional questions, since you work in Europe and I'm also looking to get back to Europe after MBA. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
hi all,

If i am SCRUM certified and have a knowledge of auto loan and been into consultation, do all these aspects will be helpful to me when i apply to the MBA courses in different universities?

Thanks,
harsh
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
harshpopo26 wrote:
hi all,

If i am SCRUM certified and have a knowledge of auto loan and been into consultation, do all these aspects will be helpful to me when i apply to the MBA courses in different universities?

Thanks,
harsh

It's all about how you spin it as adding value to the learning environment and classroom discussions. It sounds like you have a unique perspective to bring to the table, which is great, but no one can tell you how much those experiences specifically will bolster your candidacy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Great info on the realities of consulting on this thread! Much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I want some info on consulting in terms of projects. For the big consulting companies such as Accenture, McKinsey, BCG, PwC, how do projects work? Do you get assigned projects? What if you are in between project? Do you get paid during this time? The reason I ask is because I've heard conflicting and confusing stories from some people who say that between projects you basically don't get paid and getting another project all depends on whether the next company/individual likes your consultant. Others say that you do get paid during this time between projects and that getting another project is not difficult.
I would like some clarity on this issue. I do not want to end up getting into a situation where I'm sitting at home waiting for project without any sort of income.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Can anybody answer my question?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
chestud13 wrote:
I want some info on consulting in terms of projects. For the big consulting companies such as Accenture, McKinsey, BCG, PwC, how do projects work? Do you get assigned projects?

It depends. You do have say over which projects you get, so you're not just randomly assigned one. The only caveat to this would be your first project, where you don't have a support network / any power to say "no." That being said, I've both been booked to projects without my knowledge and turned down projects before.

In general, however, you'll be interviewed before chosen for a project - whether it's internally or by the client or both. So if you know you're not interested, don't try hard in the interview.

chestud13 wrote:
What if you are in between project? Do you get paid during this time? The reason I ask is because I've heard conflicting and confusing stories from some people who say that between projects you basically don't get paid and getting another project all depends on whether the next company/individual likes your consultant. Others say that you do get paid during this time between projects and that getting another project is not difficult.
I would like some clarity on this issue. I do not want to end up getting into a situation where I'm sitting at home waiting for project without any sort of income.

When you're between projects, this is called being "on the bench." You get paid during this time. Many people will reach out to you (unless there's a big bench), whether to ask for your assistance with business development work or to staff you on their project. In my experience, it's easiest to get on a new project through your network - people you've already worked with. They know your reputation and will most likely have their eye on you when you're available. With the exception of my first project, I've gotten all of my roles through my existing network.

So don't fret - you won't be sitting at home waiting for a project without any sort of income. Bench time is like vacation - you're paid and not working - except you're not using your vacation! I was on the bench for six weeks this year (right after I was promoted, too). It was marvelous. I hung out with my boyfriend and our dog and actually cooked and took care of stuff around my house! Oh, and I applied to three business schools :-D (perfect timing!). Now I'm staffed on a project. Rest assured, bench time does not affect your performance review / rating, either.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
missxmelon wrote:
chestud13 wrote:
I want some info on consulting in terms of projects. For the big consulting companies such as Accenture, McKinsey, BCG, PwC, how do projects work? Do you get assigned projects?

It depends. You do have say over which projects you get, so you're not just randomly assigned one. The only caveat to this would be your first project, where you don't have a support network / any power to say "no." That being said, I've both been booked to projects without my knowledge and turned down projects before.

In general, however, you'll be interviewed before chosen for a project - whether it's internally or by the client or both. So if you know you're not interested, don't try hard in the interview.

chestud13 wrote:
What if you are in between project? Do you get paid during this time? The reason I ask is because I've heard conflicting and confusing stories from some people who say that between projects you basically don't get paid and getting another project all depends on whether the next company/individual likes your consultant. Others say that you do get paid during this time between projects and that getting another project is not difficult.

When you're between projects, this is called being "on the bench." You get paid during this time. Many people will reach out to you (unless there's a big bench), whether to ask for your assistance with business development work or to staff you on their project. In my experience, it's easiest to get on a new project through your network - people you've already worked with. They know your reputation and will most likely have their eye on you when you're available. With the exception of my first project, I've gotten all of my roles through my existing network.

So don't fret - you won't be sitting at home waiting for a project without any sort of income. Bench time is like vacation - you're paid and not working - except you're not using your vacation! I was on the bench for six weeks this year (right after I was promoted, too). It was marvelous. I hung out with my boyfriend and our dog and actually cooked and took care of stuff around my house! Oh, and I applied to three business schools :-D (perfect timing!). Now I'm staffed on a project. Rest assured, bench time does not affect your performance review / rating, either.

Thanks for the reply mxm!
Are consulting companies able to work with you in terms of placement location? For example, if you graduate from a NE bschool (IE. Harvard, Duke, MIT,etc) and you get placed in SF , but you want to work in the south where an office is located, is that feasible?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
chestud13 wrote:
Thanks for the reply mxm!
Are consulting companies able to work with you in terms of placement location? For example, if you graduate from a NE bschool (IE. Harvard, Duke, MIT,etc) and you get placed in SF , but you want to work in the south where an office is located, is that feasible?

Consulting companies are definitely flexible about work location. When I joined, I was asked to rank my top three cities. I therefore wasn't expected to work where I graduated. Fortunately, I was given my first choice. However, certain offices at my company are difficult to get into - for example, Denver and Austin (high demand, low supply). My company happens to be implementing a "staff locally" policy, so there have to be projects in the city to justify consultants being located there. I know it doesn't make much sense, since most of us travel to our clients anyway. As a side note, I was also able to transfer offices quite easily.

Basically, you have flexibility with where you work, but it has to be a major-ish city. My company has plenty of offices in the south like Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, Dallas, etc.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10