Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 14:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
FAQ about Fuqua Open Interview [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 08:08
Expert's post
FAQ about open interview:

Does going to open interview improve my odds?
There’s no definitive answer on this. If you think that you are borderline or Fuqua is your top choice, it is a worthy investment to visit the campus. It will show that you have strong interest in the school, which always helps, especially if you end up on the summer waitlist, when AdComs are looking for people who are super interested and are willing to pack up and move on a call’s notice. Furthermore, if you are about to drop $100+K on your education, spending a few hundred for due diligence is probably a good idea.

Is there any down side to open interview?
Two potential downsides:
1) This may be your first interview, so you may not be as prepared. Thus, if you do decide on the open interview, make sure you prepared adequately ahead of time. If you think you are not prepared, only do the campus visit and wait for the interview invite.
2) Long period of uncertainty. Unlike those who wait for invites, you will not have the intermediate feedback on your candidacy in the form of an interview invite.

Diversity

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 589 [0], given: 114

Re: Fuqua 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 15:17
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 17:03
also applying for EA here. I hope everyone best of luck, and dont steal my spot! :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 04:45
I'm applying in the EA. Though I'm really nervous about getting recommendations together before Sep 19 :)

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 09:13
Why do they ask you what other MBA programs you are applying to? I understand if you are applying EA they want to see if you are claiming Duke is your top choice but you're also apply to H/S/W but for those of us not applying EA it seems strange.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 09:12
Has anyone pulled down a list of the recommender questions for the 2013 application?
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '13 (M)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 12:35

Reception for LGBT applicants by Fuqua and Darden!

Please click on the img for more details.

PHILADELPHIA
Hosts: Jonathan (Fuqua), Molly (Fuqua), Aviva (Darden)
Date/Time: Aug 1, 7-9pm
RSVP: mag61@duke.edu

CHICAGO
Hosts: Steven Tamaroglio (UNC), Nancy (Fuqua), Raelyn (Ross)
Date/Time: Aug 2, 5:30-7:30pm
RSVP: steven_tamaroglio@unc.com

WASHINGTON DC

Hosts: Monica (Fuqua), Brian (Darden)
Date/Time: Aug 6, 5-8pm
RSVP: monica.vanbuskirk@duke.edu

A Student at Darden Graduate School of Business, Class of 2013
Feel Free to Reach Out with any question!

Intern
Intern
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 22:51
Hi.. I am applying for the EA round. Any thoughts on the first essay??
Current Student
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 11:04
Is it just me or Fuqua doesnt actually have the individual email addresses of its admissions staff on its website? It seems weird since most schools have it.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2012, 15:49
raghu123 wrote:
Hi.. I am applying for the EA round. Any thoughts on the first essay??

I'm applying ED to Columbia so that has taken most of my time so far but I've definitely been thinking about this one. It is certainly a unique question.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 550 Q V
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 19:12
Asimov or shorttheworld, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice regarding GPA's. I have a 3.0 in Computer Science from a run of the mill state university. Is this GPA low enough to warrant an explanation in the optional essay or should I not bother bringing unnecessary attention to it?

Thanks a lot guys
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 06:12
Expert's post
ashish8 wrote:
Asimov or shorttheworld, I was hoping you guys could give me some advice regarding GPA's. I have a 3.0 in Computer Science from a run of the mill state university. Is this GPA low enough to warrant an explanation in the optional essay or should I not bother bringing unnecessary attention to it?

Thanks a lot guys

Hi Ashish, I don't think a 3.0 is that bad in CS, I wouldn't bring attention to it. Looking through the past admits, last year someone was admitted with 2.85/690, and there are a few at or below 3.0. Just concentrate on the things that makes you stand out, the "25 things" essay is a perfect place to do that.

Diversity

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 15:49
"Why Duke?" How are most people writing this essay? Accepted.com suggested a letter to a close friend, are people going with the letter format or a normal essay format?
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 16:08
Expert's post
ashish8 wrote:
"Why Duke?" How are most people writing this essay? Accepted.com suggested a letter to a close friend, are people going with the letter format or a normal essay format?
The letter format is definitely an interesting format to answer the question. Imagine how many people read Accepted's analysis of the essay prompts and follow the advice. If only a few people do the letter format, it will make you stand out, but if a lot of people do it, it may lose that appeal. I challenge you to come up with your own creative twist to answering the prompt.

Diversity

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 16:15
asimov wrote:
ashish8 wrote:
The letter format is definitely an interesting format to answer the question. Imagine how many people read Accepted's analysis of the essay prompts and follow the advice. If only a few people do the letter format, it will make you stand out, but if a lot of people do it, it may lose that appeal. I challenge you to come up with your own creative twist to answering the prompt.

hmm, good call. I liked the letter format because it naturally helps an individuals personality to come out.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 19:19
When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2012, 23:45
asimov wrote:
ashish8 wrote:

Thanks a lot guys

Hi Ashish, I don't think a 3.0 is that bad in CS, I wouldn't bring attention to it. Looking through the past admits, last year someone was admitted with 2.85/690, and there are a few at or below 3.0. Just concentrate on the things that makes you stand out, the "25 things" essay is a perfect place to do that.

This might be a bit late, but i was a 3.0 CS major and I just started classes a week ago at Duke. I do not think there is anything that needs to be called out unless you have specific anomalies in your transcript.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 09:24
Sorry to bother you guys again, but I got two more questions.

Awards & Recognition:
Is getting to be team lead of a project considered a recognition? What about receiving a scholarship for undergrad?

Then I got another question that builds upon the first one. The application ask's how long have you been a manager and how many people have you manged. Is this question asking for formal management experience like project manager, etc. or could my first example be considered management experience.

Thanks again guys
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 09:59
Hey guys,

I will be campus-visitng Virginia Darden and Duke university one after the other (Sep 10th and Sep 11th). Can someone please suggest a way to reach Duke Campus from Charottesville, VA. Google wasn't that much of a help. I appreciate your advice and look forward to meet the current students.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 15:16
ashish8 wrote:
Sorry to bother you guys again, but I got two more questions.

Awards & Recognition:
Is getting to be team lead of a project considered a recognition? What about receiving a scholarship for undergrad?

Then I got another question that builds upon the first one. The application ask's how long have you been a manager and how many people have you manged. Is this question asking for formal management experience like project manager, etc. or could my first example be considered management experience.

Thanks again guys

I would not consider being made the lead of a team an award, and I personally would not put this into the recognition bucket but you could probably get away with it. Scholarship for undergrad so some kind of merit academic or community related is something that I would include in the awards section.

For the manager question, i would use number of years you managed teams, that is what I did.
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Aug 2012, 15:16