Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
I just got it working and in the process, figured out my potential ding for Duke. While submitting late at night I missed "preferred first name" and inadvertently put my last name. Their consolation letter started Dear Mr. (my last name) (my last name). Where the hell is a facepalm smiley when you need one. Biggest waste of $250 I've ever made.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Did Fuqua lowball everyone with scholarships? I'm seeing very few people get them, and for only a little bit of money. I thought Duke was generous with financial aid...wonder if they gave most of it out EA/R1?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Congratulations! to those admitted and Don't lose hope to those Waitlisted.

If any of the admits are in San Francisco, some of us in the Class of 2016 plus current students are meeting up for Happy Hour tonight at 6:30pm. Please join the FB group of Class of 2016 or PM me for the location.

FB Group Link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/dukemba2016/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
Did Fuqua lowball everyone with scholarships? I'm seeing very few people get them, and for only a little bit of money. I thought Duke was generous with financial aid...wonder if they gave most of it out EA/R1?

Agreed. Its possible that they focused on EA/R1. Hard to imagine turning down a much more generous package to get loaded up in debt again.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
julia0831 wrote:
wenstinator wrote:
julia0831 wrote:
No $$ :( Oh well. Stern it is then.

How do you know? Would it show up under financial aid?

The adcomm who called me this morning mentioned that there will be a second page on your acceptance letter if you get scholarship.

I'm also between Stern and Fuqua what was your decision process?? I didnt get $$ in any though
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
In with $$ !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Iam a Round 1 waitlist. Didn't get any sort of notification via mail or in the sis platform. I think it means an extended waitlist. I was under the impression that no matter what waitlisted candidates will be updated in every decision round.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
JMNYC wrote:
In with $$ !!!

how much?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: Duke '16 (WL)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
s3eany wrote:
East Coast ... hard to maintain optimism at this point.

On the negative side: A ding never feels good

On the positive side: All my previous dings were w/o interview. It is oddly comforting to know that I can be as unimpressive in person as I am on paper!

Kind of feels like this:

https://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2917203993/

Congrats to the admits!

Ahahahahaha this is exactly what I needed to see, thanks. Darden looks awesome, you should be proud. Good luck to all of us, and congrats to the admits!

Originally posted by randomusername on 13 Mar 2014, 22:00.
Last edited by randomusername on 13 Mar 2014, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:

Hey mgh, I felt that way too at first after I received my Round 1 offer. You and I have similar stats(albeit different WE) and from what I can tell we received similar offers at Fuqua.

I don't think that's the case though. Perhaps there are some really talented people applying to Fuqua and the competition for scholarships is high. Maybe we're part of an over represented pool of applicants? Who knows?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Education (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
hey so did anyone of you get any mail from Duke
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.03
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Has anyone seen the agenda for BDW? I am trying to book my plane ticket because there is only 1 direct flight, but want to make sure I am there in time.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Send PM
Pioneer1010 wrote:
Has anyone seen the agenda for BDW? I am trying to book my plane ticket because there is only 1 direct flight, but want to make sure I am there in time.

Admitted students thread...I was asking the same question. I know Ross allowed me to register and do everything that way already....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.68
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Did anyone get their ISW log in yet? I'm also curious about the BDW agenda. Anyone get a hold of that?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: A Very International MBA Experience
What do China, Kenya, Tanzania, Chile, and Mexico all have in common? They’ve all been a part of my experience at business school. Fuqua has long billed itself as an international business program, but I wasn’t prepared for how international it really is. To start with, nearly 40% of my class hails from places as far away as Taiwan, Nepal, and Columbia. These students have enriched classroom discussions and have shared their culture and food with me in their homes, at Fuqua’s Around the World Dinners, and during Fuqua Fridays.

Fuqua also does a great job of building international experiences into its curriculum. As a first-year student, I participated in the Global Academic Travel Experience (GATE) to China. During Spring Term 2, I studied Chinese culture and business practices in class and then visited Beijing, Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Shanghai after the term concluded. Not only did I see the Great Wall and Tiananmen Square, but I also met with leaders at Proctor & Gamble, the National Basketball Association (U.S. basketball is huge in China), and McDonald’s to discuss their experiences of doing business in the region.

And this year, I did an exchange program in at Pontifical Catholic University in Santiago, Chile during Spring Term 1. I took classes in Negotiations and Global Marketing with both locals and Fuqua classmates. I chose Santiago because of the warm climate, renowned wine and opportunity to improve my Spanish. I was also very excited about the prospect of hiking the Inca Trail after the program concluded. It was the experience of a lifetime.

Outside of the globally focused MBA curriculum and extracurricular programs, I have also found that there are plenty of informal opportunities to experience life abroad. Many Fuquans organize small group trips to their home countries during breaks, and this year alone, some of my friends trekked to Morocco, Israel, and Japan over spring break. I didn’t participate in those trips, but I did climb Pico de Orizaba in Mexico with Duke’s BOLD (Building Outdoor Leaders and Doers) club in January, and hiked the Inca Trail in Peru at the start of spring break.

Interning in Africa

The most surprising global experience I’ve had at Fuqua, was my summer internship. Like about 30% of my classmates, I decided to pursue management consulting for my internship. However, instead of working at a client site in the U.S., I had the opportunity to do social impact consulting in Washington, D.C., Kenya and Tanzania with Accenture’s Development Partnerships (ADP) program.

Few programs exist that allow MBA interns to work on international development abroad and ADP has traditionally recruited from only HBS, Wharton and Johnson. I was selected as the first intern from Fuqua thanks to heavy lobbying by Fuqua alumni at Accenture to open the internship to Fuqua students because the school has distinguished itself as a leader in social enterprise. Although I was nervous about my assignment since I wouldn’t find out where I’d be going until a couple of weeks before my internship, I was open to an adventurous summer and wanted to work on something that would have a positive impact on other people.

For half of the summer, I worked at a major international development bank in D.C. on a strategy project to address youth unemployment. My team developed a strategy and identified coalition partners to implement programs that would train and put young people to work in developing countries. I enjoyed the experience a lot, and my work was used in the final report and presentation given to the client in July. After the project concluded, I was assigned to a nutritional strategy project in East Africa. Our client was a U.S. government agency that funded projects addressing malnutrition in East Africa.

Currently, the U.S. and other NGOs fund nearly all of the clinics and supplementary nutritional products given to people who are malnourished in East Africa. In rural villages, where malnutrition is the most pervasive, these clinics and products are a lifeline for people who subsist on grain and whatever else they can scrounge up. But what happens when the money runs out? Our client wanted us to find a solution that would enable people to access these products at a price they could afford for when this happens.

Much of my work was done in the field and I met with leaders from government, the private sector and NGOs to better understand the problem we were facing. But working in an office where the electricity went out frequently and being restricted to our hotels after dark because of crime made the experience more challenging than I had initially thought.

Despite this, I was treated as an equal member of our team and was able to add value. Having worked with team members at Fuqua who were from many different countries, I felt comfortable navigating through the bureaucracy and other challenges that we faced. Moreover, the training I received at Duke was helping me make a big difference in assessing project barriers and developing a solution. After a month of collecting data and putting together an initial set of files, I packed up my things and prepared to return to Durham for my second year at Fuqua.

My experiences at Fuqua have been beyond anything I could have hoped for and increased my desire to experience all that the world has to offer. Prior to business school, I had only traveled around Western Europe following a study abroad program, and I never saw myself hiking a mountain or working in a developing country. But in one year, Fuqua transformed the way I think and provided me with a new appreciation for international cultures and peoples. If you’re looking for an MBA program that provides ample opportunities for a truly international and transformative experience, I can’t personally think of a program that does it better than Duke.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Send PM
I'm looking at the duke employment report, was wondering if anybody has researched consulting yet.... It says 36% go into consulting, but of that 29% is "general consulting" and only 4% is "management consulting"...yet BCG/McKinsey/Bain/Deloitte alone make up over 10% of the student body...what gives?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [3]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry for my over dramatic post earlier. I am devastated about not being accepted, but at least I was waitlisted. It sucks to miss out on the chance to go to BDW - I had plans to bring my entire family and celebrate my wife's birthday there. In any case, I will try my damnedest to get off the waitlist and get admitted this year!

To address those about reapplying next year, I am afraid this is my only shot. I have my age working against me. But more importantly, I have family considerations as well. My wife is about to begin her career, and my oldest child has been switching schools too often as it stands.

I want to thank everyone who PM'd me kind words and encouragement. Gmatclub, in my opinion, truly speaks to the 'Team Fuqua' concept.

Best of luck to everyone!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   80   81   82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts