Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIT Madras
Own Kudos [?]: 1246 [28]
Given Kudos: 104
 Q49  V34 GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V37
WE 1: 2+ years - Programming
WE 2: 3+ years - Product developement,
WE 3: 2+ years - Program management
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [7]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: FINANce!!!!!..:))))))))
Schools:Wharton..:)
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5 +
Send PM
Re: Gambling experts contend that with a sufficiently advanced computer te [#permalink]
Kudos
conclusion :: such a claim could never be evaluated,
ask urself ? wht is " such a claim"..?
ans- such a claim is tht thr is no technology tht can help u in assessing the correct performance of the gambler BECAUSE evn the losses would be tempered..

so anything tht helps u in assessing the performance of a gambler is ur ans ..

go ahead ans solve ans should be B..:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Gambling experts contend that with a sufficiently advanced computer te [#permalink]
Kudos
Option C is correct.
In my opinion, C tells us that there is a logical link between the technology available and the success rate achievable. Thus, at least in future, such evaluation could be possible when such advanced technology is available.

HTH
--
Aman
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools:UNC Kenan-Flagler, IU Kelley, Emory GSB
WE 1: 5 yrs
Send PM
Kudos
hemanthp wrote:
Gambling experts contend that with a sufficiently advanced computer technology, a skilled technician will soon be able to win almost every time he or she bets on horse racing. Yet such a claim could never be evaluated, for losses would simply be blamed on immature technology or the technician's lack of proficiency.

Which of the following, if true, would be most useful as a basis for arguing against the author's claim that the gambling experts' contention cannot be evaluated?

-Some technicians using advanced computers have been able to gamble successfully more than half the time.
-Gambling experts readily admit that it is not yet possible to produce the necessary computer equipment.
-There is a direct correlation between the sophistication of computer technology available to a programmer and the gambling success he or she achieves with it.
-Certain rare configurations of computer data can serve as a basis for precise gambling predictions.
-Even without computer assistance, skilled gamblers can make a steady living from gambling.

Don't forget KUDOS if you like the question. This is from KAPLAN CAT.

Hi Whiplash... I don't think I understood your explanation of the correct answer.

I get really lost it in such timekiller CRs :(. Though I got it correct, my reasoning isn't in line with the others.

My take on this is:
We have to prove that author is wrong - i.e. gambling experts' claim can be evaluated. i.e. there is no scope of blame game when there is a loss. i.e. the output is measurable.

C states that there is a direct correlation between technology and the level of success achieved by a technician. Hence, proficiency can be measured. This is sufficient to prove the author wrong.

Thats why i thought its the correct answer. Am i missing something??

Originally posted by yossarian84 on 09 Nov 2010, 03:27.
Last edited by yossarian84 on 09 Nov 2010, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
argmnt :

advcd tech -> gmblr wins gamblng
But this can not be evaluted
If relation b\w 2 items establishes then this activity can be evaluated

ans = C that establishes relation b\w 2 items so one can be evaluated wrt to other
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 609 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
B is not the answer because - we don't have gambling experts opinion if the equipment will be produced later on.
C is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
what does the last sentence of the argument mean:
Yet such a claim could never be evaluated, for losses would simply be blamed on immature technology or the technician's lack of proficiency.

cant get how the clause after 'for' is related to 'Yet such a claim could never be evaluated'

plz help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Premise:
With advanced computer technology = success for skilled T
Author Disagrees, as losses can be bcoz immature technology or the technician's lack of proficiency.
How can this be untrue? If there is a known correlation between technology & success

C. There is a direct correlation between the sophistication of computer technology available to a programmer and the gambling success he or she achieves with it. ---> Talks about correlation. If you know x advance = x success. you cant blame technology.
D. Certain rare configurations of computer data can serve as a basis for precise gambling predictions. --> Only Certain rare configurations of computer data = success Not necessary computer technology or skill
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Please explain how option C is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
suhi wrote:
what does the last sentence of the argument mean:
Yet such a claim could never be evaluated, for losses would simply be blamed on immature technology or the technician's lack of proficiency.

cant get how the clause after 'for' is related to 'Yet such a claim could never be evaluated'

plz help

Clause after 'for' provides the reasoning for why such a claim could never be evaluated.
The reasoning is that in case a technician lose, we may say either of:
1)the technician was not skilled (We need a skilled technician for the mentioned claim and there's no clear line to define skill here)
2)the computer was not sufficiently advanced (We need a sufficiently advanced computer and there's no clear line to define sufficiency here)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Gambling experts contend that with a sufficiently advanced computer te [#permalink]
srilekha23 wrote:
Please explain how option C is correct.

The question asks for a "basis" for arguing against it.
Option C tells us about a direct correlation... which simply means that as skill and/or advancement in computer technology increases, the proportion of wins increases. This tells us that if we keep increasing skills and/or technology advancement, we can reach a point where we will almost always win.
GMAT Club Bot
Gambling experts contend that with a sufficiently advanced computer te [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts