Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 08:09
bara so'ale akhari hame gozineha ro khundi?
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 08:13
1.B
2.D
3.B
4.A
5.A
6.A
7.E
8?
9.A
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 11:51
thank you dena and shakib.
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 11:51
thank you dena and shakib.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 19

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 15:43
10 minutes

E
D
B
C
B
A
E
C
A

I am interested in an explanation for 9. Can someone point out if A stood out?

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
ABI: 1085
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 06:15
CORRECT ANSWER: 1E 2D 3B 4C 5B 6A 7E 8D 9A
1.E
The passage shows us a clear explication of how social statistics underestimate or exaggerate the degree of hardship.
We can find the information at the very first beginning of paragraph 1 and 2.
“In many ways, our social statistics exaggerate the degree of hardship” and “Yet there are also many ways our social statistics underestimate the degree of labor-market-related hardship.”

2.D
By elimination
3.B
“Unemployment does not have the same dire consequences today as it did in the 1930’s when most of the unemployed were primary breadwinners, when income and earnings were usually much closer to the margin of subsistence, and when there were no countervailing social programs for those failing in the labor market. Increasing affluence, the rise of families with more than one wage earner, the growing predominance of secondary earners among the unemployed, and improved social welfare protection have unquestionably mitigated the consequences of joblessness.”

4.C
The conventional statistical indices failed to cover all determinants that truly reflected the dimensions of hardship of unemployment.

5.B
Yet there are also many ways our social statistics underestimate the degree of labor-market-related hardship.

6.A
Only the employed poor whose wages are at or below the minimum wage level is not counted in the poverty statistics.

7.E
The degree of hardship of the unemployment whose family is affluent is exaggerated.

8.D
Eliminate A B and E. In C, the fact that unemployment is not actively seeking work is wrong.

9.A
The main key word in the question is “the best criticism”.
All other options can be eliminated out.
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 04:06
hi dear fara i have read the text and get general idea about labor do you know more details about this topic?
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 04:12
mitra1 wrote:
hi dear fara i have read the text and get general idea about labor do you know more details about this topic?

hi , how are u ? i m reading the text now and i m mix-up about some meaning
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 04:27
sasan wrote:
mitra1 wrote:

which words or parts you do not understand?
Intern
Intern

How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 09:07
mitra1 wrote:
sasan wrote:
mitra1 wrote:

which words or parts you do not understand?

do you understand what does the writer mean by this? "our social statistics exaggerate the degree of hardship" ? i know what is the meaning of "exaggerate" but i dont know what is the exact meaning of this in this sentence. thank you.
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 09:23
I have searched many times this word(contentious) in online dictionary ( English - Persian ) but i didn't understand the exact meaning of it
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 09:46
it means (causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial) mishe baese dava ya bahso jadal shodan. if you want more specific meaning or examples in the sentences i suggest you try this dictionary online synonym dictionary this dictionary will help you to have words with the same meaning of contentious". also if you want to check its pronunciation you can use in online oxford dictionary
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 09:46
sasan wrote:
I have searched many times this word(contentious) in online dictionary ( English - Persian ) but i didn't understand the exact meaning of it

it means (causing or likely to cause an argument; controversial) mishe baese dava ya bahso jadal shodan. if you want more specific meaning or examples in the sentences i suggest you try this dictionary online synonym dictionary this dictionary will help you to have words with the same meaning of contentious". also if you want to check its pronunciation you can use in online oxford dictionary
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 10:02
exaggerate means something negative. i think it means not o be satisfy about the research they did about employment. what is your idea?
Intern
Intern

How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 10:12
mitra1 wrote:
exaggerate means something negative. i think it means not o be satisfy about the research they did about employment. what is your idea?

ooo , OK i understand some how the meaning of this sentence and i will describe it by Persian language :lol: :lol: ( mige ke amare mobaleghe amizi az sakhtiye kar dar amarhaye ejtemaii neshon dadeh shodeh ast ) do you understand and do you agree with me about the consent of this sentence ?
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2014, 10:17
mitra1 wrote:

yes i agree with you but it is not about their satisfying it is about the result of their statistic so, i think the result of their statistic about hardship was not real and it is more than what it should be. i would like to know your idea.
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 07:35
dear fara do you understand what is meant by "unemployment in 1930 and the breadwinners" ? do you have any sources to find out more about it?
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 07:55
mitra1 wrote:
dear fara do you understand what is meant by "unemployment in 1930 and the breadwinners" ? do you have any sources to find out more about it?

i could find out a lot of information about unemployment in 1930 in this website. you can also have a look and let me know anything you understand from that
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 08:05
dear fara do you understand what is meant by "unemployment in 1930 and the breadwinners" ? do you have any sources to find out more about it?[/quote]

i could find out a lot of information about unemployment in 1930 in this website. you can also have a look and let me know anything you understand from that[/quote]
history-world
Intern
Intern

Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2014, 08:32
dear fara do you understand what is meant by "unemployment in 1930 and the breadwinners" ? do you have any sources to find out more about it?[/quote]

i could find out a lot of information about unemployment in 1930 in this website. you can also have a look and let me know anything you understand from that
history-world
sasan wrote:

i could find out a lot of information about unemployment in 1930 in this website. you can also have a look and let me know anything you understand from that[/quote]
history-world[/quote]

kasi midone manzor az in jomle chiye? "Earnings and income data also overstate the dimensions of hardship"
Re: How many really suffer as a result of labor market problems?   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2014, 08:32