Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:ISB, Tuck
 Q50  V39
GPA: 74.5
WE 1: 2.7 years
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [1]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: ISB or TUCK [#permalink]
It depends upon you: India Vs US?

Where do you feel you want to live? US is a great place to work and live. Though US economy is bit shaky since past few years, I believe it is getting back on track. Indian economy is growing at a tremendous pace. If you want to see very quick gains and without much risk, India would be the best option.

In the end, its all about you and your decision. I personally prefer IIMs better than ISB.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Kudos
adm209 wrote:
Considering most results are going to be out soon.. What do you guys think about the Tuck versus ISB option? If its say Kellogg vs ISB, Kellogg would definitely win...but ISB and Tuck are a tough call..

Considering one is equally inclined towards India and United States.. and has only enough money to finance the ISB edu..(would have to take a loan of about 60% amount of total expenses at Tuck)..what would be a logical decision and what should be the other factors in consideration?

I don't think this should be too tough to decide. After all, you are not in the predicament of Columbia vs Chicago vs Harvard, Stanford vs Harvard or Kellogg vs Haas.
Even if it isn't too significant, there is some international recruitment at ISB. You may need to research what functions (say in banking) the ISB alumni working outside perform. What's the size of the alumni network outside India?

If working in India is part of your post-mba career goal, I will say go for ISB. The visiting faculties are from some of the best in world. The program sounds academically rigorous as well.

What you will get in Tuck (and not at ISB) is the diversity in classroom and access to Tuck alumni network.

Finally, if you are ok with working in US for few years, you shouldn't be worrying about the loan part of the financial situation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
I personally prefer IIMs better than ISB.

Off topic - can you please elaborate why you will prefer the IIMs to ISB?
From what I have seen thus far, the IIMs have faculty with limited international exposure, the student body is mostly composed of students with little or no experience.

May be I am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sanjuro9 wrote:
someone79 wrote:

From what I have seen thus far, the IIMs have faculty with limited international exposure, the student body is mostly composed of students with little or no experience.

May be I am wrong.

I prefer IIM A's exec program better than ISB(both are 1 year duration). I know the type of people who go into these programs. Look up on linkedin to know more about the student body there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
sanjuro9 wrote:
someone79 wrote:

May be I am wrong.

I prefer IIM A's exec program better than ISB(both are 1 year duration). I know the type of people who go into these programs. Look up on linkedin to know more about the student body there.

I am sincerely looking for some comparative analysis more than just your personal preference. Please elaborate why you prefer the 1 year program at IIM-Ahmeadabad more than Indian School of Business.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sanj, When I said IIM, I meant IIMA and that too its exec program. IIMA's exec program placements are top notch. Average salary is much higher than ISB. Apart from that, if you are a 30+ candidate, you will find most of the students there of your age range. Three people I know passed out from IIMA PGPX and following is what they are doing after 3 years of passing out:

1. CEO of a hotel chain
2. VP of sales in US for an Indian firm
3. Head of Integration practice of a large Indian IT company.

These are just three people whom I know. As my friends are added to my linkedin account, I am able to see the employment history and placements of most of the guys who are from IIMs and who studied with my friends. They are all top shot execs and are currently at very senior positions.

ISB has a varied crowd. Some of the guys I know went to ISB after 2-3 years of exp. In the end, it's all your preference. My preference is IIMs.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V39
Send PM
sanjuro9 wrote:
adm209 wrote:
Considering most results are going to be out soon.. What do you guys think about the Tuck versus ISB option? If its say Kellogg vs ISB, Kellogg would definitely win...but ISB and Tuck are a tough call..

Considering one is equally inclined towards India and United States.. and has only enough money to finance the ISB edu..(would have to take a loan of about 60% amount of total expenses at Tuck)..what would be a logical decision and what should be the other factors in consideration?

I don't think this should be too tough to decide. After all, you are not in the predicament of Columbia vs Chicago vs Harvard, Stanford vs Harvard or Kellogg vs Haas.
Even if it isn't too significant, there is some international recruitment at ISB. You may need to research what functions (say in banking) the ISB alumni working outside perform. What's the size of the alumni network outside India?

If working in India is part of your post-mba career goal, I will say go for ISB. The visiting faculties are from some of the best in world. The program sounds academically rigorous as well.

What you will get in Tuck (and not at ISB) is the diversity in classroom and access to Tuck alumni network.

Finally, if you are ok with working in US for few years, you shouldn't be worrying about the loan part of the financial situation.

thanks for the inputs guys...i am actually not finicky about the financial aspect..that will get managed somehow..i may even get married in the US and funds maynot be a problem in that case...

the thing is i want to start up my own firm say 10 years down the line...in india..at least thats wht im thinking now..for which the isb network will be great..but getting the US exposure/network and capital before i do that will again be great..ive never been to the US as of now so its very difficult to say whether i would want to settle down there untill i actually see life for myslelf..

my apprehension is that Tuck is a little low on international mobility... people in India in general do not know about it..of course people in the fraternity do..so in terms of future employment possibilities...brand recognition in india..how does Tuck fare...im pretty inclined towards it as of now..very selective..collaborative..Ivy League..not too far from Boston/NY..but thts the only point of apprehension..what do u think?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
so what did you finally end up with?
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V39
Send PM
After a lot of thinking and talking to people...i finally chose Tuck over ISB for a plethora of reasons- diversity, small class size, collaborative culture and of course employment opportunities and the Ivy League experience. Also, infrastructure wise, Tuck is really really good. I also got to know a couple of other people who made the same choice...if not convince...at least that helped me reinforce my decision
plus i got a 134k financial aid from Tuck..at 7-7.5%..so that helped the financial position
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
great choice!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
i wholeheartedly agree that you have made a great choice. I have visited Tuck and met with alumni. Its undoubtedly a special place. If I were only few years younger, I would have definitely made Tuck one of my top choices for business school.

Look for Prof King, Prof VG, Ron Adner, Sydney F and many others. Oh... I only know how hard it was for me to decide not to apply to Tuck.

Have fun.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Both are good. I think it depends more on which country you want to work in. I am applying to both Tuck and ISB. but if i get both, I think i`ll take ISB. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Nice discussion...
I'm in a similar fix to choose between ISB and few top US schools...I'm sure things have drastically changed in last few years...Any opinion in the present circumstances?
GMAT Club Bot